Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Are any of the adventures for 3e and 4e any good? What's the consensus on them?

I've got my Renegade Crowns province for a more free-form game but I'm wondering about more structured adventures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MonsieurChoc posted:

Are any of the adventures for 3e and 4e any good? What's the consensus on them?

I've got my Renegade Crowns province for a more free-form game but I'm wondering about more structured adventures.

I really like the Ubersriek adventures for 4e. Rough Nights and Hard Days is fun too.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Verisimilidude posted:

Any good free scenarios/adventures to run for new people? Looking to run Night of Blood since that shouldn't take longer than a session or two.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/259270/WFRP-Ubersreik-Adventures--If-Looks-Could-Kill?src=also_purchased

Never run it but hey, free.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 40 minutes!

I've run this one and I liked it. Definitely take some extra time to look over each monster's abilities beforehand, they can be kind of confusing. I think this is a great intro to the setting while also subverting overly grimdark expectations in some fun ways.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

This is the setting where an Emperor gave a province to the Halflings because he liked his cook.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Are there any supplements detailing the geography of the Empire proper? I need a small, but not very small, town to set an adventure in.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tias posted:

Are there any supplements detailing the geography of the Empire proper? I need a small, but not very small, town to set an adventure in.

http://www.gitzmansgallery.com/shdmotwow-full.html I use this thing all the drat time.

Tias
May 25, 2008

You are an absolute treasure, thank you!

On the subject, would anyone be interested in a WFR 2E game, if one allows for slow updates?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Tias posted:

On the subject, would anyone be interested in a WFR 2E game, if one allows for slow updates?

Most definitely. Slow updates would be good for me, as with the confinement I'm now in a whole bunch of roll20 games with friends haha.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Tias posted:

Jeg er frisk. I am game

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...

This is fantastic! Thank you so much!

Also noting now I look at it that Total War Warhammer totally fudged the terrain in the game in a lot of places it seems. The triangle of Fort Obestyre, Castle Templehoff and Swartzhafen in Sylvania isn't dominated by a big mountain with a skull on it, heh.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I just found that thing while googling maps of the Old World years ago and it's amazing, so I wanted to share.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Tias posted:

I'd be game for a WRP 2E game, provided it doesn't conflict with the 4E game I'm presently in.

ChaseSP fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 20, 2020

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Anyone have helpful documents for players/gms? Looking for cheatsheets for tables and things primarily, but anything for new players would be super helpful.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Was given this by a person in my group, has a bunch of reference stuff. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Y6jb8CRFi2g2bqkJR6-ou0s47n1wj8pK9qf6QjziZ6c/edit#gid=1547922807

Tias
May 25, 2008

I was mostly considering a pBp game, since my exams are coming up and life in general offers a lot of extra work with few warnings at the moment. Would that be acceptable? Also, is roll20 any good?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Tias posted:

I was mostly considering a pBp game, since my exams are coming up and life in general offers a lot of extra work with few warnings at the moment. Would that be acceptable? Also, is roll20 any good?

pBp is fine. Roll20 is... fine, but not for pBp I think. It works well enough for dice rolls.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Roll20 isn't designed for pBp, it's for live sessions. I guess it can work as a place to roll but frankly there's far better services to let you directly link to your dice log. I haven't done PbP before but I'm not against trying something new.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Yeah, the only real advantage of Roll20 is that combat roll macros are pretty nifty out of the box, anything else would be better served by other means.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Had a rough session last night running Night of Blood. I ran it on Sunday as well for my SO and her roommate, and it went great. Ran it last night solo for a friend and despite being really good at D&D they just couldn't wrap their head around what was going on or how the world works. It's partially my fault since I run D&D very fast and loose and high fantasy, but the first thing the player tried to do was talk with a group of beastmen that was chasing after them, resulting in them dying in the first 5 minutes and us having to restart the session.

They got to the inn and decided that the innkeeper wasn't acting suspicious, but instead was just being kinda rude, so they decided to leave and sleep in the ferry house instead to weather the storm. The blood on the ground of the ferry house didn't bother them, and they assumed everything was fine. Dawn comes around and the ceremony is complete, everyone is dead, the tzeentch demon fled to the woods, and the road wardens showed up and pinned the murders/ceremony on the player character. Also he's a bawd, so they found the dose of weirdroot on him as extra evidence.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, if they were a Bawd and their only tool was using social abilities, and they hadn't played in the setting/didn't know what Beastmen were, I kind of can't blame a PC for assuming a bunch of angry people chasing them was a social challenge they should try to solve that way. Especially in a solo game where encounters tend to be tailored to the player some.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Night10194 posted:

Well, if they were a Bawd and their only tool was using social abilities, and they hadn't played in the setting/didn't know what Beastmen were, I kind of can't blame a PC for assuming a bunch of angry people chasing them was a social challenge they should try to solve that way. Especially in a solo game where encounters tend to be tailored to the player some.

I did explain to them what was happening and what beastmen were, but they were also very, very high at that time, which lead to them being confused why the beastmen were trying to kill them even though I had already explained what the situation was. You're right about that mission not being tailored to that kind of character though, it doesn't have a lot of wiggle room for social characters and it's why I tend to stay away from pre-written modules entirely.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Verisimilidude posted:

I did explain to them what was happening and what beastmen were, but they were also very, very high at that time, which lead to them being confused why the beastmen were trying to kill them even though I had already explained what the situation was. You're right about that mission not being tailored to that kind of character though, it doesn't have a lot of wiggle room for social characters and it's why I tend to stay away from pre-written modules entirely.

Ive spotted your issue.

Gaming with people in altered states of conciousness (drunk, high, on benzos after surgery) is at best a bit frustrating if you’re not on the same wavelength.

Night of Blood is a very specific intro to WFRP and needs some setting explanation which you provided, but your player was not in a state receptive to it. Playing that scenario solo, I’d definitely make the opposition more cartoonishly obvious, dumber and more open to being manipulated.

You might let the bawd spot his food being spiked with Kurtz, because he’s wise to that poo poo and let him engineer a swap for the drugged food and turn the tables on the mutants. Then get two of the mutants to fight with some wordplay and break a chair over the last ones head.
It’s worth another go if your player is willing and in a more receptive mood.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Question with about the Blinded condition, does the -10 penalty to tests include stuff like opposed combat rolls? Unless said creature/character can see blind it seems weird that it wouldn't apply it to combat of all things.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Opposed Tests are still Tests and being blinded gives a penalty to "all Tests involving sight" so yeah.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Anyone tried abandoning SL difference +Modifiers for damages and just going back to a dice roll + modifiers.

It just still doesn't quite feel right.

Everytime someone takes a hit, it's "Ok you had X levels, I had Y levels, X-Y= Z. Now take Z and add the base damage and strength" Plus "Oh it's an damaging weapon, was the unit die on your X roll higher than X itself turned out to be?".

It just seems clunky to me, and I'm sure my players would enjoy rolling for damage themselves. It's too abstract.

I'm fine for using SL for skill checks, it's specifically damage that's bugging me.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Deptfordx posted:

Anyone tried abandoning SL difference +Modifiers for damages and just going back to a dice roll + modifiers.

It just still doesn't quite feel right.

Everytime someone takes a hit, it's "Ok you had X levels, I had Y levels, X-Y= Z. Now take Z and add the base damage and strength" Plus "Oh it's an damaging weapon, was the unit die on your X roll higher than X itself turned out to be?".

It just seems clunky to me, and I'm sure my players would enjoy rolling for damage themselves. It's too abstract.

I'm fine for using SL for skill checks, it's specifically damage that's bugging me.

you making it sound more complicated then it actually is, and its no more abstract then rolling dice for damage

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

That seems a perfectly fair summation of the process to me.

Abstract in the sense of not as viscerally satisfying as rolling a damage dice.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I like comparing successes better myself.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I would think the larger issue is that (combined with the ramp-up incentive from Advantage) it could create a situation where +10 WS/Skill/BS is basically always better than +1 SB, since it's better damage if you roll better but also a larger chance to hit or defend in the first place and keep building more accuracy, which also adds to more damage.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
The right answer is always "do what you and your players find fun"

My group uses VTT and the damage is all automated, so we kind if side step that particular issue. If your people like rolling dice instead, go for it!

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I like comparing successes better myself.

Fair enough. YMMV

Night10194 posted:

I would think the larger issue is that (combined with the ramp-up incentive from Advantage) it could create a situation where +10 WS/Skill/BS is basically always better than +1 SB, since it's better damage if you roll better but also a larger chance to hit or defend in the first place and keep building more accuracy, which also adds to more damage.

To simplify things, I'm also trying out a 5E style, you have advantage/or you don't. Flat +20.

Midgetskydiver posted:

The right answer is always "do what you and your players find fun"

My group uses VTT and the damage is all automated, so we kind if side step that particular issue. If your people like rolling dice instead, go for it!

What size dice would be appropriate is the question though?

Classic d10, keep strength bonus. Drop the bonus weapon damage(the +3 for a hand weapon etc).
1st edition style d6. Keep the weapon bonus damage.
Compromise on a d8 plus bonus.

Plus of course variable ideas, like subtract 3 from the bonus damage. So a 2H warhammer is now +3 damage etc.

Edit: Actually. I'm running my own interstitial adventures for a few weeks until Death on the Reik 2.0 come out. C7 swears it'll be out in June. And I already am trying out the above advantage rule, having told my players this is 'lets see how it works in the sidequest' before we get back to the main campaign. So let's give it a spin.

I'll see how my players like a proposal of damage is now roll d10 + usual modifiers -3 (so a basic hand weapon is doing d10+SB).

I strongly suspect they'll go for it.

Will report back how it plays.

Edit 2: Well I got that wrong. Turns out they were happy to stick with Success levels.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 27, 2020

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

TLDR: I'd like to post my thoughts about WFRP 4e here if people don't mind. Also, don't roll to determine hit location when someone scores a critical hit, just used the condensed critical wounds table from the starter set

So originally I was going to do a review of the 4e rulebook in the F&F thread, but most of my thoughts are about game design decisions they made and whether or not I agree with them, and what I'd do differently. It doesn't really fit the F&F format, and I'd appreciate more of a back and forth discussion than you get in that thread, so I'm posting it here instead. I figured people wouldn't mind since this thread is pretty slow and could handle the discussion. Let me know if you don't like it and want me to stop.

Overall I really like the WHFP system, a lot. I haven't been this 'in' to a system since I played D&D 3.5 back in the Before-Times. Maybe there's some sort of connection there, or maybe it's just because I'm having a really good time running a game. Maybe I like how 4e has this system that feels very intentional and thought-out, where I can understand why the designers made certain decisions, and where I absolutely hate some of those decisions they made and insist on changing them.

The best example I can make of this is the dice mechanic in combat and how it works with critical wounds. So first, I really like cutesy dice mechanics in general, so I really like how a single combat roll tells you whether or not you hit, what part of the body you hit, whether you've made a critical/fumble, and how much damage you do. In practice, at least in my experience, the dice mechanic in 4e works like a d10 system with the ones dice only coming up in close rolls, or when determining hit location, or for critical successes or fumbles. In my online game, we have a macro that quickly and easily provides all of that information as well.

So what's the problem? Well, like a lot of cutesy dice mechanics, it kind of falls apart. You usually only score a critical hit if you roll doubles (11, 22, 33), and you invert the dice to determine hit location (27 -> 72). What happens if you invert a double...? So at this point you have a problem, as you're very unlikely to score a critical hit that targets the Right Leg unless you have a 100+ skill. There's three solutions you could choose here:

1.) Leave it as is - you're more likely to hit a critical wound on the head or the left arm. You could also change the hit location table so that a critical hit to the head is unlikely.
2.) Get rid of the four separate critical wound tables for each part of the body, and combine them into one.
3.) Roll a d100 to determine hit location, and then roll another d100 to determine the critical wound.

Solution 1 is the simplest solution, but a bad one - I like the possibility of a lucky hit to the head being just as likely as a lucky hit to the torso, and I think the game designers would agree. It works fine from a mechanical perspective, but eh. So let's discuss Solution 2 versus Solution 3. To be obvious, Solution 3 is the option that the book went with, and I'm really not a fan. You've taken your nice clean One Roll Resolution mechanic, and added two more rolls to it for the 3% to 6% chance it comes up. Some groups would find it fun to spotlight the critical hit and dwell on it a bit as you roll out the two dice, but I personally felt like it caused the action to hiccup a bit and slowed things down. It feels like a homage to those terrible and unbalanced AD&D critical tables that everyone insisted on making. I bet they copied them directly out of 1st or 2nd edition, or something.

Also, the core rulebook has a terrible layout. The hit location table and the critical wound tables are 20 pages apart, which never fails to frustrate me as I flip to the crit table, realize I didn't look up the hit location, flip to that table, and then flip back. I have a reference sheet that has the hit location table and the crit wound tables right next to each other, so it's not as bad now. But come on, you spent so many pages full page splash art, you can reprint the hit location table one time. And would it kill you to put a table of contents at the front of the skills and talents chapter?

So, that might have biased me against Solution 3, but I still think Solution 2 is just better. The Starter Set has a single unified Critical Wounds table, and just makes so much more sense than having three separate tables. The hit location for a critical wound doesn't really matter in my experience - rolling a 12 or an 80 on the Arm table has about the same effect as rolling on the Body table that has the same effect as the Head table. That is, low rolls hurt and give minor conditions, high rolls are devastating and probably fatal. Critical Wounds ignore armor as well, so the location armor doesn't matter. What does having four times as many critical wound tables bring to the game? What does the extra, boring hit location roll bring to the game?

I think having just ONE special roll to see what critical wound you do is better, and it lets focus so much more on the event. You get that immediate visceral reaction where they roll, and you know at a glance just how badly the enemy got hosed up. And you're immediately jumping to the table and looking up the results, so the GM can more easily start to declare what's happening. If all 80 possible critical wounds were ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY for some reason, you could easily combine them into a single table - the one big advantage of having percentile dice is that you can have 80 different results.

In my opinion, ignore the four critical wound tables, ignore the extra roll to determine the critical hit location, just use the table below.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tibalt posted:

[b]TLDR: I'd like to post my thoughts about WFRP 4e here if people don't mind.

No this is really cool.

Maybe send a link to Fatal and Friends so people there know about it in case they are interested.

Edit:Now that I am free to actually read over your stuff. I largely agree with you. But I personally like the larger wound table and solution 3, but maybe I would not as much if my table were not automated really well.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 2, 2020

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

You're not wrong, but having Foundry VTT calculate and spit all the wound stuff out automatically has made it so smooth for me I don't really mind the extra roll for hit location.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dishwasherlove posted:

You're not wrong, but having Foundry VTT calculate and spit all the wound stuff out automatically has made it so smooth for me I don't really mind the extra roll for hit location.

Yeah that is what I am using too.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

dishwasherlove posted:

I started playing 4E using VTT so it's really interesting to see these critiques of the system. VTT sidesteps a lot of these by doing all the calculations, so some of these issues get sort of swept under the rug. For instance I never thought about Right Leg being a rare crit location but it's obviously true.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

I think my main issue with it is that of you miss the "re-roll location on a crit" rule and just use the hit location of the original roll, it doesn't have a noticeable mechanical effect.

Also, I looked over the crit wounds table again, and I'll admit they have a lot more gory personality than the condensed table from the starter kit. I might see if I can actually combine the results into a single table that maintains the probabilities.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Midgetskydiver posted:

I started playing 4E using VTT so it's really interesting to see these critiques of the system. VTT sidesteps a lot of these by doing all the calculations, so some of these issues get sort of swept under the rug. For instance I never thought about Right Leg being a rare crit location but it's obviously true.

Is VTT a specific product or are you using some other virtual table top?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

marshmallow creep posted:

Is VTT a specific product or are you using some other virtual table top?

Yes Foundry VTT just released its first full version, and there's a wh4e module for it.

If you put "patreon" in the coupon code I think it makes the license 40 rather than 50 bucks.