Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Flowers For Algeria posted:

If you call the mud that is industrially shat out by Americans "culture", then that’s your problem. I’m certain you’d also call a Guy Fieri burger "gastronomy".

We simply don’t have the same standards.

Interesting.

You are from where again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Mulva posted:

Interesting.

You are from where again?
He's French, and therefore probably still sore about Uncle Sam having to bail his grandparents out of two world wars.

I maintain that the bagpipe is not an instrument so much as a form of protest against the Scottish condition. When the weather sucks, you're ruled by the English, and you have plenty of whisky, turning a sheep inside out and dancing to the resultant racket probably seems logical

Noshtane
Nov 22, 2007

The fish itself incites to deeds of hunger

Historically speaking humans have been terrified of loud noises since the dawn of time, so much so that they invented gods to assuage their fears. The louder and more terrifying the noise, the more powerful the gods, that’s how Zeus got in charge. But then when the humans got the ability to make loud noises, the nuttiest of them started feeling like gods and developed a huge superiority complex linked to their noisemakers.

But their feeling of godhood and superiority because they’re able to make loud noises is as misplaced as the god-worship of their foreparents, and actually places them on the same intellectual level as literal cave-dwellers.

Yet another reason why suppressors should be unregulated, they will lead the gun community from cave-dwelling noise worship to an enlightened and secular shooting culture.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rent-A-Cop posted:

A good post that I strongly disagree with almost every part of.

You are essentially proposing to legislate a right out of existence by making it too inconvenient for anyone but the idle rich to take advantage of.

An outright ban would be more defensible.

there is no right to own a firearm.

zapplez posted:

Suicide is a red herring when it comes to gun control. There are many countries with vastly higher suicide rates with severely limited access to firearms. People use the best available tool, if a firearm isn't available and they want to kill themselves, they are still going to keep trying till they do it.

they do not. suicidal ideation is oftentimes transient.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 7, 2018

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

there is no right to own a firearm.
There is though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

there is a false belief in one but it’s relatively recent. doesn’t become true just because standard modelers repeated it without evidence for decades and the supreme court sometimes makes mistakes.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

there is a false belief in one but it’s relatively recent. doesn’t become true just because standard modelers repeated it without evidence for decades and the supreme court sometimes makes mistakes.

Oh, like the right to gay marriage or abortion? I know some folks will be glad you know support rolling things back.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i was thinking more dred scott v sanford or bush v gore.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

There is though.

We’ve already had this discussion before. Your statement is a meaningless tautology that offers no insight into anything.

"There is no right to own a firearm" means that there is nothing in the human condition that demands that human beings should own guns.

You never told me how my proposals would price you out of your hobby. Care to elaborate with actual figures or were you just low-effort trolling and you just didn’t want to say "but I don’t wanna!"?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

We’ve already had this discussion before. Your statement is a meaningless tautology that offers no insight into anything.

"There is no right to own a firearm" means that there is nothing in the human condition that demands that human beings should own guns.

You never told me how my proposals wou
ld price you out of your hobby. Care to elaborate with actual figures or were you just low-effort trolling and you just didn’t want to say "but I don’t wanna!"?
I am utterly uninterested in debating philosophy.

As for the rest give me a couple hours to not be workposting.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 7, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the interpretation that the second amendment enshrines an individual’s right to own a firearm isn’t much older than i am.

even accepting the ahistorical standard model interpretation, the idea that we cannot have strict gun control is ridiculous.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Groovelord Neato posted:

the interpretation that the second amendment enshrines an individual’s right to own a firearm isn’t much older than i am.

even accepting the ahistorical standard model interpretation, the idea that we cannot have strict gun control is ridiculous.

Jesus christ how old are you

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

zapplez posted:

Heller is 10 years old

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Cease to Hope posted:

Heller is 10 years old

So is he 12?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

zapplez posted:

the standard model started gaining traction in the 80s.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

zapplez posted:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

You never told me how my proposals would price you out of your hobby. Care to elaborate with actual figures or were you just low-effort trolling and you just didn’t want to say "but I don’t wanna!"?

Such a license can only be obtained if you show proof of regular attendance at a range

Range visits aren't free. $30-$50 an hour is common in my area. Depending on your definition of "regular" that quickly becomes unaffordable.

with specific classes
Classes aren't free either.

get a positive opinion from the gun range manager
loving LOL, better be white, straight, Republican, and 55+.

as well as one from a doctor
Easy $100 there, if not more.
Anything worth a drat is $500+, isn't getting up the stairs, and is probably heavier than the floor is rated for anyway. So I guess I better own my own home.

or store your gun at the range
This isn't a service that is available. If it was, and we go by normal storage prices for a locker-sized space, we're looking at $100/mo.

And we're assuming licensing is free (it won't be) and timely (it won't be this either). Altogether that's a shitload of money, the recurring cost alone is basically a car payment.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 7, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

japan has the best gun laws.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

I support regulation requiring all guns be affixed to an 80' walking tank.

Gundams will, of course, be subsidized.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Groovelord Neato posted:

And yet their suicide rate is immensely higher than America. Weird.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

zapplez posted:

And yet their suicide rate is immensely higher than America. Weird.

guns drive up suicide success rates, not suicide attempt rates

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Cease to Hope posted:

guns drive up suicide success rates, not suicide attempt rates

but japan also has p high suicide successes?

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
If adopting Japanese gun laws mean we also get a Katana registry I swear to god

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

CongoJack posted:

If adopting Japanese gun laws mean we also get a Katana registry I swear to god

The only way to stop a bad guy with a katana is a good guy with Hanzo steel

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

suck my woke dick posted:

but japan also has p high suicide successes?

relative to attempts?

rhetorical question. no way to know.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What causes a country like Venezuela to have 700% lower access to firearms than the USA but have a homicide rate that's 800% higher. Why does Jamaica have 8 firearms per 100 by capita and the USA has 81. But Jamaica has 6 times the rate of homicides?

Why is Japans suicide rate (successful only) over 50% higher than Americas suicide rate. When American has 81 guns per 100, and japan has 0.3 per 100 people.

Maybe, socioeconomic issues,cultural issues (moreso when it comes to suicide being accepted), but most importantly income inequality, poverty , and lack of good jobs makes people willing to commit crimes to survive, in which they need to be armed. Thats why the rural population has a multitude more guns than the urban population, but yet only makes a small fraction of gun crimes.

We need to fix the communities. Not the guns.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

zapplez posted:

What causes a country like Venezuela to have 700% lower access to firearms than the USA but have a homicide rate that's 800% higher. Why does Jamaica have 8 firearms per 100 by capita and the USA has 81. But Jamaica has 6 times the rate of homicides?

poverty and population density

but congratulations on your new job writing op-eds for the federalist

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

zapplez posted:

Why is Japans suicide rate (successful only) over 50% higher than Americas suicide rate. When American has 81 guns per 100, and japan has 0.3 per 100 people.

Maybe, socioeconomic issues,cultural issues (moreso when it comes to suicide being accepted), but most importantly income inequality, poverty , and lack of good jobs makes people willing to commit crimes to survive, in which they need to be armed. Thats why the rural population has a multitude more guns than the urban population, but yet only makes a small fraction of gun crimes.

Just because one thing causes Bad Thing A to go up doesn't mean it's the only thing that causes Bad Thing A to go up. If Venezuela had America's gun ownership rate there would already be a civil war there.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I make one goddamn serious post and now there's a katana registry.

loving America man.

skeet decorator
Jun 19, 2005

442 grams of robot

zapplez posted:

A good post. How do you propose we tackle this issue?

Did you know there's something highly correlated with poverty that costs communities close to 3 billion a year in direct costs and hundreds of billions in indirect costs such as decreased home values? Hint, it's gun violence. Perhaps tackling that would be a good start to reducing poverty.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

We should ban cars to stop drunk driving related incidents

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

LeoMarr posted:

We should ban cars to stop drunk driving related incidents

Maybe gun licensure, registration, and insurance is a better step in the right direction.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Guns are fuckin' great.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Panzeh posted:

Guns are fuckin' great.
I changed my mind. Ban guns.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

LeeMajors posted:

Maybe gun licensure, registration, and insurance is a better step in the right direction.

Buy an umbrella policy.

Healthcare is available for purchase to all citizens

gun licensure? for what train people how to use guns so then what they can mass shooting with government sponsored training?

If I drove a tank or shot hellfires at afghanis does that mean I can display adequecy enough to own a tank?

And too bad its gonna be a 6/3 R / D in the SC soon. So gun control's going byebye pal.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

LeoMarr posted:

Buy an umbrella policy.

Healthcare is available for purchase to all citizens

gun licensure? for what train people how to use guns so then what they can mass shooting with government sponsored training?

If I drove a tank or shot hellfires at afghanis does that mean I can display adequecy enough to own a tank?

And too bad its gonna be a 6/3 R / D in the SC soon. So gun control's going byebye pal.

So where so will RBG or Breyer resign/die before Trump wins in 2020 or after?

I'm going with Breyer dies unexpectedly in the next 2 years and, then after Trump wins in 2020 RBG will retire to enjoy what's left of her life knowing that staying on the court any longer would be futile.

Court stays 7-2 for 20 more years as Thomas is too mean to die. At least Sacalia had a sense of humor.

And thus Trump will deliver the final repudiation of Obama by making his 2 scotus picks irrelevant.

KingFisher fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Aug 8, 2018

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

KingFisher posted:

So where so will RBG or Breyer resign/die before Trump wins in 2020 or after?

I'm going with Breyer dies unexpectedly in the next 2 years and, then after Trump wins in 2020 RBG will retire to enjoy what's left of her life knowing that staying on the court any longer would be futile.

Court stays 7-2 for 20 more years as Thomas is too mean to die. At least Sacalia had a sense of humor.

And thus Trump will deliver the final repudiation of Obama by making his 2 scotus picks irrelevant.

there's nothing specifying 9 supreme court justices

if the place gets packed with 7 of 9 (:riker:) senile fucktards and republicans continue to be obstinate assholes putting profit before party before country (that's a given) then i wouldn't let recent convention restrain me from just packing the court with another 10 sane people. america isn't britain with its ~unwritten constitution and customary parliamentary rulebook (that actually can't be enforced if even a single politician stops caring)~ bullshit

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

skeet decorator posted:

A good post. How do you propose we tackle this issue?

Did you know there's something highly correlated with poverty that costs communities close to 3 billion a year in direct costs and hundreds of billions in indirect costs such as decreased home values? Hint, it's gun violence. Perhaps tackling that would be a good start to reducing poverty.

Tax reform and business reform, and hugely increased social safety net and affordable housing would do immensely better at improving poverty than trying to tackle a symptom of poverty like violence.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

suck my woke dick posted:

there's nothing specifying 9 supreme court justices

if the place gets packed with 7 of 9 (:riker:) senile fucktards and republicans continue to be obstinate assholes putting profit before party before country (that's a given) then i wouldn't let recent convention restrain me from just packing the court with another 10 sane people. america isn't britain with its ~unwritten constitution and customary parliamentary rulebook (that actually can't be enforced if even a single politician stops caring)~ bullshit

Thanks for pushing the Overton window on court packing. I'm sure nothing could go wrong if it looks like Trump might lose the election and he wants to "make his mark" before his term is up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

KingFisher posted:

Thanks for pushing the Overton window on court packing. I'm sure nothing could go wrong if it looks like Trump might lose the election and he wants to "make his mark" before his term is up.

i mean if he packs the court with 50 judges we can just pack it with 150 right back

within only a few electoral cycles every american will be serving on the supreme court, twice