Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
biggest tech ceo shithead
ellison
jobs
gates
musk
bezos
op
View Results

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

It was the first time I’d seen him since I’d been a newborn in Oregon.

“You know who I am?” he asked. He flipped his hair out of his eyes.

I was three years old; I didn’t.

“I’m your father.” (“Like he was Darth Vader,” my mother said later, when she told me the story.)

“I’m one of the most important people you will ever know,” he said.

quote:

“Can you have what?” he said.

“This car. Your Porsche.” I wondered where he put the extras. I pictured them in a shiny black line at the back of his land.

“Absolutely not,” he said in such a sour, biting way that I knew I’d made a mistake. I understood that perhaps it wasn’t true, the myth of the scratch: maybe he didn’t buy new ones. By that time I knew he was not generous with money, or food, or words; the idea of the Porsches had seemed like one glorious exception.

I wished I could take it back. We pulled up to the house and he turned off the engine. Before I made a move to get out he turned to face me.

“You’re not getting anything,” he said. “You understand? Nothing. You’re getting nothing.”

quote:

“Hey, you know that computer, the Lisa? Was it named after me?” I asked many years later, when I was in high school and splitting my time between my parents’ houses. I tried to sound like I was curious, nothing more.

If he would just give me this one thing.

“Nope.” His voice was clipped, dismissive. Like I was fishing for a compliment. “Sorry, kid.”

Then Bono asked, “So, was the Lisa computer named after her?”

There was a pause. I braced myself—prepared for his answer.

My father hesitated, looked down at his plate for a long moment, and then back at Bono. “Yeah, it was,” he said.

I sat up in my chair.

“I thought so,” Bono said.

“Yup,” my father said.

what an absurd dick lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
those are just really next level dad jokes. steve was a genius

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
surprised I'm the first to vote all options

pram
Jun 10, 2001
:rip: never forgotten

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

those are just really next level dad jokes. steve was a genius

i'd be surprised if at any point he didnt' just say "you were a mistake. the iphone is my true child."

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

im glad he’s dead as hell, op

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fart simpson posted:

im glad he’s dead as hell, op

im not. have you USED an iphonex?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Jonny 290 posted:

haha.

now all androids will have no headphone jack and that obnoxious divot too. thanks a lot timb.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
a courageous and trendsetting design

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

what an absurd dick lmao

i still think it’s far and away from getting your start with money from a literal south african emerald mine.

the dude had issues though no doubt.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
steve just paved the way for elon tho

like steve pretended to be a visionary for real but elon was like hey watch this im just gonna have diarrhea and call it genius

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonny 290 posted:

nope, my stebe edition suits my needs just fine

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i'm glad they're both dead

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

elon jobs. steve musk

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i liked when the ceo of espn full-of-bravado showed steve the espn phone and he called it a total piece of poo poo to their face

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

my boss questions why i drin kfruit juice while standing in the toilet bowl

its because im an innovator,

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

graph posted:

i liked when the ceo of espn full-of-bravado showed steve the espn phone and he called it a total piece of poo poo to their face

hahaha

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/53vvg3/the-embarrassing-failure-that-made-espn-a-mobile-juggernaut

quote:

"Your phone is the dumbest loving idea I have ever heard." That, according to the book These Guys Have All The Fun, was how Steve Jobs introduced himself to George Bodenheimer, then-President of ESPN, during a 2006 Disney board meeting.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

lolll

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
everyone in this thread asked their dad for a porsche and their dad said “yuppers, of course you can have a free porsche”

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
it's true, all our dads are billionaires

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

my two billionaire dads

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
what are your opinions on privilege

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

obstipator posted:

what are your opinions on privilege

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rtn06ZW9Xm0

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

my former boss took a meeting with Jobs back in 2003 and apparently he rocked back and forth cross-legged in his chair, thus wafting the smell of his bare feet to everyone in the room.

he was apparently a real prick to everyone in the meeting and made several weird comments about my boss' female colleague's hairstyle.

but I wish he were still alive because I enjoy using Apple goods and they've been garbage since he died

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

let's talk about our favorite jobs things

brushed metal

g4 cube

iphoto

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
ios 6

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

the slate iphone 5 was good, so it must have been planned while he was alive

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

clamshell iBook

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
the og bondi blue imac

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ancient valley joke I've posted 1000 times

steve jobs is the only person larry ellison can call an rear end in a top hat

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
his daughter sounds like she sucks, too

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

gettin a steve job behind the bleachers

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

quote:

Steve Jobs often came by Texaco Towers after dinner, to see what was new, and we'd usually show him whatever recent progress we made. Sometimes he'd be pissed off about something, but other times he'd be really excited about a new idea.

I was the only one in the office one evening when he burst in, exclaiming that he had a flash of inspiration.

"Mr. Macintosh! We've got to have Mr. Macintosh!"

"Who is Mr. Macintosh?", I wondered.

"Mr. Macintosh is a mysterious little man who lives inside each Macintosh. He pops up every once in a while, when you least expect it, and then winks at you and disappears again. It will be so quick that you won't be sure if you saw him or not. We'll plant references in the manuals to the legend of Mr. Macintosh, and no one will know if he's real or not."

Engineers like myself always daydream about building surreptitious little hacks into the software, but here was the co-founder and chairman of the company suggesting something really wild. I enthusiastically pressed him for details. Where should Mr. Macintosh appear? How often? What should he do when he shows up?

"One out of every thousand or two times that you pull down a menu, instead of the normal commands, you'll get Mr. Macintosh, leaning against the wall of the menu. He'll wave at you, then quickly disappear. You'll try to get him to come back, but you won't be able to."

quote:

Steve Jobs was not the most considerate individual at Apple, and he had lots of ways to demonstrate that. One of the most obvious was his habit of parking in the handicapped spot of the parking lot - he seemed to think that the blue wheelchair symbol meant that the spot was reserved for the chairman.

Whenever you saw a big Mercedes parked in a handicapped space, you could be sure that it was Steve's car (actually, it was hard to be sure otherwise, since he also had a habit of removing his license plates). This sometimes caused him trouble, since unknown parties would occasionally retaliate by scratching the car with their keys.

Anyway, the story is that one day Apple executive Jean-Louis Gassee, who had recently transferred to Cupertino from Paris, had just parked his car and was walking toward the entrance of the main office at Apple when Steve buzzed by him in his silver Mercedes and pulled into the handicapped space near the front of the building.

As Steve walked brusquely past him, Jean-Louis was heard to declare, to no one in particular - "Oh, I never realized that those spaces were for the emotionally handicapped...".

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
is there a single story about steve that doesnt own bones

his freaking sister is homers mom on the simpsons

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
poll has no ballmer option. wtf?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

stebe rules everything around me

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Silver Alicorn posted:

stebe rules everything around me

STREAM get the cancer
colla on my neck yall

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Silver Alicorn posted:

gettin a steve job behind the bleachers

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

that's a sick burn right therre in that second one lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

steve jorbs was an outrageous rear end in a top hat im not even joking, people who were sad about his passing put more value on making computers out of brushed aluminum than basic empathy

You didn't even include any stories about screwing over woz, this is how he treated his friends and family; how do you think he'd treat you

• Locked thread