Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I petitioned for last year's august thread title to reference The Great Ten, and now it's finally happened. Thank you :)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Teenage Fansub posted:

I petitioned for last year's august thread title to reference The Great Ten, and now it's finally happened. Thank you :)

The Great Ten suck but the reference was right there, I couldn't resist

Guy Goodbody fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 3, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
After finishing my Black Panther trades, now I move on to the Flintstones and it's really living up to the panels everyone used to post

Like, this is some straight up pictures for sad children dialogue

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I seriously hate The Great Ten so much. DC is making a new all-Chinese superhero team! Great! But they can't just be regular superheroes, oh no. After all, China is bad and foreign, those are it's two defining characteristics, so Chinese superheroes have to be hosed up and weird. China is one of the bad guy countries, so their main villain is going to be the Chinese government itself! But China is also like a totalitarian state, so there wouldn't be superheroes without the Chinese government's say-so, so they'll also be like slaves of the government. But we want the superheroes to be good guys, so some of them don't like their position as slaves to an evil organization. There you go, that wraps it up nicely

Our new super hero team is a bunch of hosed up foreign weirdos who hate being alive and are primarily defined by their subservient position to a real life government that we're gonna treat like one of the evil organizations from Bond movies. Get your wills ready boys, because we're gonna be buried alive in money and Eisners. Like those clay soldiers, that's a China thing! Put that in the comic!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

I seriously hate The Great Ten so much. DC is making a new all-Chinese superhero team! Great! But they can't just be regular superheroes, oh no. After all, China is bad and foreign, those are it's two defining characteristics, so Chinese superheroes have to be hosed up and weird. China is one of the bad guy countries, so their main villain is going to be the Chinese government itself! But China is also like a totalitarian state, so there wouldn't be superheroes without the Chinese government's say-so, so they'll also be like slaves of the government. But we want the superheroes to be good guys, so some of them don't like their position as slaves to an evil organization. There you go, that wraps it up nicely

Our new super hero team is a bunch of hosed up foreign weirdos who hate being alive and are primarily defined by their subservient position to a real life government that we're gonna treat like one of the evil organizations from Bond movies. Get your wills ready boys, because we're gonna be buried alive in money and Eisners. Like those clay soldiers, that's a China thing! Put that in the comic!

Also, one of their heroes is a woman who's super powers is literally that she gives birth to children.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/1025420752345026561

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something that's really annoying reading trades is when they don't include crossover issues. Nothing more annoying than getting to the end of an issue, seeing "continued in ____" and then turning the page to just the next regular issue of the book. Especially bad when it is a continuing crossover so you get 1 of 4 and then 3 of 4.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

muscles like this! posted:

Something that's really annoying reading trades is when they don't include crossover issues. Nothing more annoying than getting to the end of an issue, seeing "continued in ____" and then turning the page to just the next regular issue of the book. Especially bad when it is a continuing crossover so you get 1 of 4 and then 3 of 4.

This is especially annoying in something like Marvel Unlimited where they straight up can have the next issue you open be that next part of the crossover but noppeeeeeeee. You gotta hunt it down in the catalogue.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I believe the recent Morrison Batman omnibus did something interesting with the one crossover in that run.
The crossover storyline was kinda crap and Grant only wrote one or two parts of it, so instead of including it all or dropping his issues, they got a few new summary pages of the missing stuff written by him (I think?) and drawn by one of his usual artists.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 3, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RevKrule posted:

This is especially annoying in something like Marvel Unlimited where they straight up can have the next issue you open be that next part of the crossover but noppeeeeeeee. You gotta hunt it down in the catalogue.

Sometimes at the end of an issue you get the option to continue to the next issue in the crossover, or the next issue in the series.

Not everything is setup for that though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

I believe the recent Morrison Batman omnibus did something interesting with the one crossover in that run.
The crossover storyline was kinda crap and Grant only wrote one or two parts of it, so instead of including it all or dropping his issues, they got a few new summary pages of the missing stuff written by him (I think?) and drawn by one of his usual artists.

The Judge Dredd Complete Case Files with the Cursed Earth story arc puts in a couple of recap pages in due to not being able to reprint the stories with the fast food mascots.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Teenage Fansub posted:

Text and some relevant panels. Dialogue is changed, I think.

They could have easily cut out those issues, but they were good, so I'm glad they were included.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Is bronze age Swamp Thing worth checking out? The omnibus is in stock at my local store and I've never read any Swamp Thing before, so I'm wondering if it's somewhere good to start.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

BillBear posted:

Is bronze age Swamp Thing worth checking out? The omnibus is in stock at my local store and I've never read any Swamp Thing before, so I'm wondering if it's somewhere good to start.

Alan Moore's run is one of the most revelatory; I'd always recommend that but I'm curious on the bronze age stuff too. It never seemed particularly interesting.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The early issues are fun as pulpy monster adventures but when Martin Pasko takes over it's really loving boring and forgettable. Swamp Thing fights a golem once and that's about it. Honestly I recommend skipping it entirely because Alan Moore brings back the supporting cast as really hosed up parodies of themselves in his run, so if you actually end up liking them you'll just feel bummed out at how they turn out.

I mean there is this panel:

But context doesn't really make it any better.

I recommend anyone who wants to get into Swamp Thing to just read the 24 issue Lein Wein series and then skip to Moore's run.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 4, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I know I'm ages late to this, but Black Panther is a really good movie. It seems like Marvel is making an effort to have interesting, memorable villains lately, and that really shows in Black Panther. Hell, at points he's even more sympathetic than the hero. But it's still really weird that the villain wins in the end.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
There is that one darkly funny scene where the CIA agent guys is remotely operating the king's plane, and he sees that he's getting fired at by another spaceship, and he's like "Put me back in"

It's like, wow, that guy is so brave. He's literally risking his life to save white supremacy.

Not the kinda black humor you expect in a Marvel movie.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
edit--I figured it out somehow.

A Strange Aeon fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 5, 2018

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Guy Goodbody posted:

There is that one darkly funny scene where the CIA agent guys is remotely operating the king's plane, and he sees that he's getting fired at by another spaceship, and he's like "Put me back in"

It's like, wow, that guy is so brave. He's literally risking his life to save white supremacy.

Not the kinda black humor you expect in a Marvel movie.

Getting put back in is risky because his remote location is under attack.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Open Marriage Night posted:

Getting put back in is risky because his remote location is under attack.

yeah, the spaceship is shooting at the window, and if the window breaks he'll die, but he would rather risk death than just stand by and let the oppressed people of the world be armed.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Oh, lord.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Guy Goodbody posted:

yeah, the spaceship is shooting at the window, and if the window breaks he'll die, but he would rather risk death than just stand by and let the oppressed people of the world be armed.

You do realize that he was fighting on the same side as Black Panther, right.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Killmonger did nothing wrong?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Madkal posted:

You do realize that he was fighting on the same side as Black Panther, right.

Yeah, the CIA guy and Black Panther are working together to stop Killmonger from arming the oppressed peoples of the world and ending white supremacy.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
Goodbody is mangling the take that the CIA are the bad guys, as they have been interfering with 3rd World countries politics for decades

Unsurprisingly, his attempts at jokes are as successful as all the other ones.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Samuringa posted:

Goodbody is mangling the take that the CIA are the bad guys, as they have been interfering with 3rd World countries politics for decades

Unsurprisingly, his attempts at jokes are as successful as all the other ones.

I'm not joking, I'm 100% serious. There's a movie called The Spook Who Sat By The Door from the 1970s about a black man trained by the CIA to destabilize governments who uses his training to set up black resistance cells across the US. Black Panther takes that story but casts the hero as a villain and has a superhero murder him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLKSyy5AwtQ

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Hence, the word mangling, as your trail of posts are like a Ken M sketch but instead of a satisfying twist, there is only the realization that we wasted our time following an inane opinion.

You are correct in one point, though, the post is not a joke, just the poster.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I have not seen the movie, but in the book Freeman is not a hero.

(Dan Freeman, the Spook who sat by the Door’s protagonist. Not Martin Freeman.)

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, the CIA guy and Black Panther are working together to stop Killmonger from arming the oppressed peoples of the world and ending white supremacy.

Doesn't Killmonger boast about how many oppressed people he killed and how many governments he toppled while working for the CIA? I'm not sure he really cares about anyone but himself.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

BillBear posted:

Doesn't Killmonger boast about how many oppressed people he killed and how many governments he toppled while working for the CIA? I'm not sure he really cares about anyone but himself.

It was a "this is what I had to do to get here" kinda monologue. While Killmonger was definitely motivated in large part by a combination of personal animus towards T'Chaka and a desire to see the homeland he had been told about, that doesn't make his overall goal any less noble. He enjoyed killing T'Challa, but once he had the throne he tried to use it for good.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

It was a "this is what I had to do to get here" kinda monologue. While Killmonger was definitely motivated in large part by a combination of personal animus towards T'Chaka and a desire to see the homeland he had been told about, that doesn't make his overall goal any less noble. He enjoyed killing T'Challa, but once he had the throne he tried to use it for good.

Yes it does, because he's doing it for himself, and nobody else.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I wanted to hear Klaw’s mixtape

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Killmonger was correct to want to arm oppressed people, but was incorrect in that his ultimate goal was to replace one form of oppression with another ("the sun will never set on the Wakandan Empire") instead of allowing for the self-determination of oppressed people to lead to revolutionary internationalism. :ussr:

hup posted:

I wanted to hear Klaw’s mixtape

Also, this.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Yes it does, because he's doing it for himself, and nobody else.

If doing good things requires doing it selflessly then boy do I have bad news for you.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Maybe I am misremembering the movie but wasn't Killmonger's plan to have the opposed become the oppressors which might sound great and all until you think about it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Madkal posted:

Maybe I am misremembering the movie but wasn't Killmonger's plan to have the opposed become the oppressors which might sound great and all until you think about it.

Yes, as soon as he actually took over his language switched.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

everyone online who says "killmonger was right" has never seen or heard of a hotep

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

CharlestheHammer posted:

If doing good things requires doing it selflessly then boy do I have bad news for you.

Luckily it is the entire base of superheroes so we're still fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Am I crazy or has the price of DC's digital stuff recently gone up on Amazon?

• Locked thread