Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sorry about everything thats going on covok :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/saladinahmed/status/1031970942497562625

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/LadiesMaknComix/status/1032345000313597952

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/Still_LRE/status/1031764988824875009

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

That owns so much.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I love that it's not just factory blue, they actual gave it a custom paint job.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

So, Donny Cates has apparently always been insane. No idea he wrote this classic before "Cosmic Ghost Rider"

https://twitter.com/Charliestolz/status/1032344379967631360

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

So, Donny Cates has apparently always been insane. No idea he wrote this classic before "Cosmic Ghost Rider"

He wrote that classic after Cosmic Ghost Rider! It was in his run of Doctor Strange!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

He wrote that classic after Cosmic Ghost Rider! It was in his run of Doctor Strange!

I thought I'd seen it awhile ago, am I thinking of some other comic where Spider-Man meets an actual spider?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

I thought I'd seen it awhile ago, am I thinking of some other comic where Spider-Man meets an actual spider?

Not that I know of. It's a very recent issue. Peter went to Strange to ask him if he could let him speak with a spider through magic. The whole issue is fantastic. The rest of the issue was drawn by Frazer Irving.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

Not that I know of. It's a very recent issue. Peter went to Strange to ask him if he could let him speak with a spider through magic. The whole issue is fantastic. The rest of the issue was drawn by Frazer Irving.

So, clearly Donny Cotes is plagiarising weird alcoholic fever dreams I had.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

No I'm with you, maybe Chip posted it on his twitter at some point before the comic came out?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Skwirl posted:

Cosmic Ghost Rider has The Watcher showing up specifically to make fun of Ghost Rider for being an idiot and making the worst decision in the history of the entire multiverse, ever, even after he's told it's the worst decision literally possible. Then Ghost Rider gets shot by Cable.

So you may be on to something.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

There was a comic in Strange Tales where Spider-man moved to a city of humanoid spiders and stood out as a freak, and there was that time in the JMS run where a spider called him an idiot moron for not killing people.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Man why's loki: agent of asgard vol2 so expensive/rare? Every other volume seems accessible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Man why's loki: agent of asgard vol2 so expensive/rare? Every other volume seems accessible.

Low print run most likely. Bet you can get the singles for a buck each or so.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

Once again we faithful readers are at the whims of the shambling corpse of print media.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Rhyno posted:

Lurdiak posted:

Once again we faithful readers are at the whims of the shambling corpse of print media.

It's all on Marvel Unlimited.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Some people still like to have a book in their hands or on the shelf.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can say 'old' here, we're all friends.

Except that guy. And that guy.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
If you want to read something non superhero/non big 2 related, First Second is really knocking it out of the park with some original graphic novels worth checking out. Sailor Twain, This One Summer and Spinning are all good pick-ups.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Aphrodite posted:

You can say 'old' here, we're all friends.

Except that guy. And that guy.
Nah, I'm old as gently caress and I went all-digital on print media a long time ago. I can add another hundred comics to my collection and have it take up a loving longbox or get more TPBs to put on a shelf I don't have free on my bookcase because it's already full of books, or I can put it on my iPad, which stays exactly the same size, and also now I can carry around literally every book I own in one hand, and it glows in the dark. This is not a hard choice.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/ImNice_LikeRice/status/1032325973159624705?s=19

It's actually Bowagon Wowackagar.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If any of you live in the greater Toronto area, Chip Zdarsky's giving a talk about Spider-Man's legacy at the Royal Ontario Museum on October 30th, it's 20 bones

Oh and Adam Kubert will be there, also

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

https://twitter.com/AMolinaFemIcon/status/1033005335949266944

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

:worship:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This is wonderful

https://imgur.com/s5eBuqz

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Eh. Does that account really work if they aren't referencing Spider-Man 2 in every post?

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Eh. Does that account really work if they aren't referencing Spider-Man 2 in every post?

Throw aside the whip of the patriarchy like I threw aside Indy's whip?

Probably not.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
At WWChicago and this dude is SUPER mad about Deadpool 2 making fun of DC films.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
That moment you start Judge Dredd Case Files 1 and realize you have 41 years of story ahead of you. I might have made a mistake.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

At WWChicago and this dude is SUPER mad about Deadpool 2 making fun of DC films.

Just an attendee you've met or is it a guest or a panellist?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Just an attendee you've met or is it a guest or a panellist?

It was a dude loudly ranting outside the Strong Women in Pop Culture panel we were in line for.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Two years ago, shortly before my now wife moved in with me, I culled my collection by over 500 books which were then donated to a youth drop in center. Today I cull again. This time I'm going through older comics that I have read til the covers have fallen off. Also thanks to Comixology I can get rid of a lot single issues that I have now bought as online trades. Goodbye old comics. You done me well.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Covok, I am late to the thread, but I'm so sorry for what you and your family are going through.

Madkal posted:

Two years ago, shortly before my now wife moved in with me, I culled my collection by over 500 books which were then donated to a youth drop in center. Today I cull again. This time I'm going through older comics that I have read til the covers have fallen off. Also thanks to Comixology I can get rid of a lot single issues that I have now bought as online trades. Goodbye old comics. You done me well.

You are a good person for doing that! Normally I'd ask for a list of what you might be selling, but it is awesome of you to donate.

I donated a lot of old comics to soldiers stationed in Iraq and Afghanistan... jeez, over a decade ago! I can't believe it has been such a long time. But now my collection is down to one and a half longboxes of singles and four horizontal shelves of TPBs (which sounds like a lot, but probably isn't much compared to some of you). And I really like everything I have left, after lots of downsizing over the last 15 years.

As the #1 Ted Kord Blue Beetle fan here, I absolutely love this.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 26, 2018

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Covok, I am late to the thread, but I'm so sorry for what you and your family are going through.

Thank you and thank you to everyone else for their concern.

My grandmother passed on Tuesday, the wake was yesterday and the funeral was today. I'm just kind of glad we can start moving on. I know that sounds very cold. But, I don't do well with wakes and funerals and I do better with mourning afterwards.

In a way it's the end of a very long chapter of drama in our family.

7 years ago, my uncle passed away unexpectedly at a very young age. It was very tragic. He was taking care of grandma. This made my mom take over the care of grandma. This became very demanding and it was more than she really could handle. And her brothers never stood up to help her. And never understood how bad it was. And we constantly tried to help and push her to stand up to her brothers and they didn't do anything. Not until my mom was on the brink of a breakdown and her brother took over.

But her brother never took care of grandma in a capacity that grandma needed. My mother ended up having to still take care of her most the time. If that was it, it wouldn't be that bad. But my uncle began to steal from my grandmother's account to support my uncle's failing business. And my uncle stole all of her money. All of it. We didn't even have any money to bury her.

And, to make matters worse, my aunt is an absolute bitch period and cursed out my mother and tossed her out of their house and demanded she take back Grandma. Thankfully, my other Uncle offered to take Grandma since we really could not take her back.

It actually looked things were finally going to get on track. But then she caught pneumonia and then she died.

And we didn't have money to bury her. It didn't help that my mother's other brother, the one who didn't steal anything, decided to only pick the most expensive option for everything despite my mom and my father pointing out that we didn't have the money and then demanding we pay half. To get across how much he racked up as a bill for this funeral, it was three times we spent on my grandfather's funeral last year. And honestly, I'm very disappointed with the wake and the funeral because everything was just wrong from having her wear makeup when she never wore makeup, from having a wake when my mom did not want to go through with that because it was too agonizing but my uncle ignored her feelings, to every single speaker knowing nothing about my grandma because Catholic funerals don't let any of the family ever actually speak, only priests. It was really upsetting.

My father had to take the money that he was going to use as a gift to my brother for his wedding to pay for the funeral. And the check came in late so they actually needed me to take money out of my savings to actually pay everything. But I already got the check to reimburse me. But you have no idea how humiliating that is to my parents, people who never ask anyone for money ever let alone their own children.

My father wanted to punch my uncle in the mouth when he tried to apologize about stealing the money. And he wanted to punch my mom's other brother for racking up such a big bill for the funeral. And my mother feels the same way.

Frankly, my immediate family despises the rest of our family now. They all exposed themselves as horrible people in different ways. And we really don't want to ever interact with them again. My brother revoked the invitation to the wedding for the uncle who robbed grandma.

I just hope that we can all move on, that my grandma is at peace, and that this is all over.

Covok fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 26, 2018

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Ahh jeez, that is all horrific. I'm glad your immediate family stood strong together, at least, despite everything.

Both my family and my wife's family have a lovely aunt with a lovely husband who back-stabbed, stole from, and alienated the good people in the family. Our immediate families lost out on inheritances that were supposed to come their way, but we're all better off for having those toxic, heartless people out of our lives forever. We're both really lucky our parents have always had our backs, and vice versa. I realize some people don't even have that to rely on.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Ahh jeez, that is all horrific. I'm glad your immediate family stood strong together, at least, despite everything.

Both my family and my wife's family have a lovely aunt with a lovely husband who back-stabbed, stole from, and alienated the good people in the family. Our immediate families lost out on inheritances that were supposed to come their way, but we're all better off for having those toxic, heartless people out of our lives forever. We're both really lucky our parents have always had our backs, and vice versa. I realize some people don't even have that to rely on.

It's really rough when it's family. Because no one wants to take that step and just sue them. We could sue them. But no one wants to do that. No one wants to be that person. But they stole over $500,000.

I'm just sad about how much my mom had to go through because of her horrible family.

I'm sorry. I made that about myself. I'm very sorry you had to go for that. I'm glad you had your family. That's so rough. That's so rough.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Hopefully things get better for you. I'm so sorry you and your parents had to go through that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I've got an aunt who had a stroke a year ago and can no longer verbally communicate. Her long term companion is a pretty good guy, but Jesus Christ if he wasn't... She's a millionaire and based on hearsay from my mom the vultures are already circling.

• Locked thread