Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
I found a box of Topps® Desert Storm: Coalition for Peace trading cards/ stickers from 1991.

These are apparently the 2nd, or "Victory" series. The box says they are to sell for 50˘ per pack, but that was way back in 1991. It would seem that Operation: Desert Storm™ heralded the dawn of a new and prosperous golden age for the United States marked by freedom, economic prosperity, and massive currency deflation. I base that assertion on the FACT that I bought these recently for a mere 10˘ per pack, or $3.60 for the box of 36.

36 packs x 8 cards/ 1 sticker per pack = 288 cards/ 36 stickers. According to the World Wide Web (aka "The Information Superhighway"), the Desert Storm: Coalition for Peace: Victory Series© contains 88 cards and 11 stickers. Will I be able to make a complete set? I don't know, but I'm going to find out. And if we aren't careful, we just might learn a thing or two along the way.

Pack #1

:piss:

Ooh, I got the valuable Colin Powell/ Dick Cheney card!

And a Saudi Arabia sticker! That almost makes up for the fact that these packs of trading cards feature stickers instead of delicious Topps® bubblegum.

Wow, things are lookin' good so far, and I'm only on the first pack! Thirty-five to go. What other gems will I uncover from within these 27-year old wax wrappers?

:iiam:

Stay tuned to find out....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

hell yes

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
itd be rad if one of the cards features that dude in the tank that got straight up bbqed lol

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

I hear the George W. Bush Mission Accomplished card is an ultra rare

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I found a box of Topps® Desert Storm: Coalition for Peace trading cards/ stickers from 1991.

These are apparently the 2nd, or "Victory" series. The box says they are to sell for 50˘ per pack, but that was way back in 1991. It would seem that Operation: Desert Storm™ heralded the dawn of a new and prosperous golden age for the United States marked by freedom, economic prosperity, and massive currency deflation. I base that assertion on the FACT that I bought these recently for a mere 10˘ per pack, or $3.60 for the box of 36.

36 packs x 8 cards/ 1 sticker per pack = 288 cards/ 36 stickers. According to the World Wide Web (aka "The Information Superhighway"), the Desert Storm: Coalition for Peace: Victory Series© contains 88 cards and 11 stickers. Will I be able to make a complete set? I don't know, but I'm going to find out. And if we aren't careful, we just might learn a thing or two along the way.

Pack #1

:piss:

Ooh, I got the valuable Colin Powell/ Dick Cheney card!

And a Saudi Arabia sticker! That almost makes up for the fact that these packs of trading cards feature stickers instead of delicious Topps® bubblegum.

Wow, things are lookin' good so far, and I'm only on the first pack! Thirty-five to go. What other gems will I uncover from within these 27-year old wax wrappers?

:iiam:

Stay tuned to find out....

I have a pack of Horsin' Around trading cards somewhere in my apartment.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Crash_N_Burn posted:

I hear the George W. Bush Mission Accomplished card is an ultra rare
yeah... that would be a pretty hard one to get from 1991

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Lol gently caress yes

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Yo you trading that Depleted Uranium Cancer for my Highway of Death Massacre?

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

a hole-y ghost posted:

Look at Mr Knows when specific events in american history occured over here

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Crash_N_Burn posted:

Look at Mr Knows when specific events in american history occured over here
where is he?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Unpack them cards boy

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Can’t wait for first sight of Stormin Norman.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This thread is cool.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Can I have the gulf war syndrome card?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Can I have the gulf war syndrome card?

That card does not exist, so you will not get anything for it

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

a hole-y ghost posted:

Not really, W was known for his premature declarations of victory.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

gently caress yea, the anticipation is growing inside me. will you complete the set of 88??

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I got to dig up all my OIF pogs some day if I can find them.

Ligament
Jun 12, 2018
Biscuit Hider
open the packs, op!!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Nooner posted:

itd be rad if one of the cards features that dude in the tank that got straight up bbqed lol
Buy a copy of Just Another War it's in there.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

also do the backs of the cards have stats? how fast is dick cheney?

onedayholiday
Dec 6, 2013

Grimey Drawer
SWEET! swaps my DU baby for your uday hussein's acid bathed rape victim. I think i got a foily of a taliban commander being airlifted out of Kabul on c-130 I can throw in to sweeten the deal!

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Keep your eyes peeled for the rare holographic "Kuwaiti Oil Field Burning" card!

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Eat the stickers op

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Do they play like magic or like Yugioh, that will change everything

Omnitrix
Aug 14, 2008

Jacob likes air cooled VW's
My dad was in that war and nine year old me collected those cards as a way to feel close to my pops while he was deployed. I still have the entire first set I bought off someone for ten bucks a while back just for nostalgia.

There was a ton of bs marketing stuff around the war. I had a Norman Schwartzkoff doll.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

ooohhhh man cmon bulldozer tank burrying red guard alive in their trenches

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

i owned these i think i had a stormin norman rookie card

Ligament
Jun 12, 2018
Biscuit Hider

Omnitrix posted:

I had a Norman Schwartzkoff doll.

haha sweet

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

oh god or top gunner mcveigh proudly mounted on his bradley behind a red hot 25mm

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I only collect vintage trading card gum op. :shrug:

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Those are collectors items OP!! Be sure to open them with gloved hands and quickly put each card in a sleeve.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Omnitrix posted:

There was a ton of bs marketing stuff around the war. I had a Norman Schwartzkoff doll.
It was the first war getting 24-hour cable news coverage, so it was also some of the DoD's earliest experiments trying to market for the television age. It's pretty fascinating. Like a commercialized version of WW2 movie theater propaganda.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Roll up the Cheney one and stick it inside your filthy anus, OP.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

FactsAreUseless posted:

It was the first war getting 24-hour cable news coverage, so it was also some of the DoD's earliest experiments trying to market for the television age. It's pretty fascinating. Like a commercialized version of WW2 movie theater propaganda.

One my earliest memories was watching I think a cruise middle hit a building on CNN during the gulf war

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

I still don't know what the point was, but I had a neighbor friend whose dad was deployed and came to speak at our school. Then they moved again, which is what happens, I guess.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
Sorry for the delay. I just took a short break to have a long cry about God and Flags and Freedom, and about the noble sacrifices made by the Brave Troops when the noble Coalition for Peace went to war against the tyrannical Saddam Hussein and stupid, lazy, worthless people of Iraq.

Pack #2

Holy poo poo!! :piss:

Another Powell/ Chaney card!! I am 2 for 2, which some traitorous America-haters might say is better than than the USA's military track record in Iraq, but those people are evil and will soon go to hell for whatever nefarious sins they've committed.

It looks like the good people at Topps® spared no expense getting a fresh picture of some dirty Iraqi about to launch a deadly Scud Missile™ at the virtuous Coalition for Peace.

And let us never forget who we did it all for:

The good citizens of Kuwait, the duly elected Emir, and the rest of the Kuwaiti Royal Family. After all, a Unitary Constitutional Monarchy is pretty much the same thing as Democracy, right?

Saddam Hussein and the rotten baby-killing people of Iraq needed to be taught a lesson that a powerful nation cannot bully a smaller nation. Who better to teach that lesson than the good ol' US of A? After all, although the people of America are well-known to be stoic, wise, and quick to turn the other cheek, they will not stand idly by and watch a humanitarian crisis unfold without wading knee deep into the fray carrying a burlap sack of Freedom.

Someone had to step up to the plate and hit an inside the park home-run for righteousness. And that batter's name was America. And the name of the team? The Coalition for Peace.

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 6, 2018

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Peel Carefully is a great county with beautiful flag and good hardworking people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Pack #3

:piss: Another Powell/ Cheney card. :piss: Truly, I am blessed. :piss:

This card features an actual picture of God asking America (and to a lesser degree the other members of The Coalition for Peace) for help bringing Peace and Freedom to the Middle East because although He is the Almighty Creator of the Universe, he lacked the military might and tactical know-how of the United States. A lot of people don't know this happened, but it totally did.

Here is some more knowledge to shove into your brain, courtesy of the good people at Topps®