Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
20 minutes remain.

If you don't get in a vote within this time, it will be random.

If you don't use your power within this time, then unless otherwise stated you won't be able to use your power for day 15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
:siren: THE VOTES HAVE BEEN TALLIED FOR DAY 15 :siren:

With 1 vote, 50 pounds of bread is safe.
With 1 vote, AJ_Impy is safe.

If you are any of the above players, you have gained points equal to the number of votes you received unless otherwise told to you privately.

With 4 votes, Bif has been eliminated Day 15. Bif's power: Once per day, you may grant 1 Point to any player, including yourself. If you reach Final 3 you may choose to eliminate another player and make it Final 2. When your power is revealed, and only on that day, you may choose if you want to publicly ##forsake your Final 3 power, which means you will no longer be able to use it if you do.

If you voted for Bif, you have received 1 point unless otherwise told to you privately.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Welcome to DAY 16!

5 players remain:
Max
b-minus1
Murmur Twin
AJ_Impy
50 pounds of bread

The voting deadline is Wednesday, August 22th, at 10 PM EST.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
1 hour remains.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
20 minutes remain.

If you don't use your power within this time, then unless otherwise stated you won't be able to use your power for day 16.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
:siren: THE VOTES HAVE BEEN TALLIED FOR DAY 16 :siren:

With 1 vote, b- is safe.

If you are any of the above players, you have gained points equal to the number of votes you received unless otherwise told to you privately.

With 3 votes, AJ_Impy has been eliminated Day 16. AJ_Impy's power: When your power is revealed, select two players. All votes that day must be for one of those two players.

If you voted for AJ_Impy, you have received 1 point unless otherwise told to you privately.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Welcome to DAY 17!

4 players remain:
Max
b-minus1
Murmur Twin
50 pounds of bread

The voting deadline is Thursday, August 23rd, at 10 PM EST.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
19 minutes remain.

If you don't use your power within this time, then unless otherwise stated you won't be able to use your power for day 17.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
:siren: THE VOTES HAVE BEEN TALLIED FOR DAY 17 :siren:

With 1 vote, Max is safe.

With 2 votes, b- has been eliminated Day 17. b-'s power: Whenever a player votes for you and you are not eliminated, the next day that player will count as having +1 vote for the purpose of whether they are eliminated by having most the votes. This will not show up in vote totals.

If you voted for b-, you have received 1 point unless otherwise told to you privately.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Final 3. Each player will vote for who they wish to win. The player with the most votes will win. If a three way tie in votes, the player with the most points will win.

Will it be Max?
Will it be MurmurTwin?
Will it be 50 pounds of bread?

The voting deadline is Friday, August 24th, at 10 PM EST.

If all living players could say at least one thing in this thread before that deadline, thank you.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Hello, and congratulations to Fitty and MMT! I truly think getting here would not have been possible without the two of you. All three of us contributed in various ways that complimented our play styles, and if I cannot win, I would be pleased as punch with either of you taking the crown.

But since I do want to win, here is my pitch:

From early on in this game, I took on the role of information gatherer and spy. Running interference where I could, I gathered the thoughts and opinions of other players to get a sense of where the vote was going to better leverage our position in the game, all while trying to stay out of the limelight.

That lasted until the key moment in this game, which I think all three of us can lay a claim to: voting out Cat. Fitty got the major votes from our side on board, I did work convincing Beet and Slamburger to come over, and MMT locked the whole thing up by putting the final nail in the coffin and sent Cat packing. I don’t think we would have known that it was a do or die moment had it not been for the suggestion to Cat that we form the Legion of Love, which gave us the next two planned boots in the game and kicked our keisters into gear.

From this vote on, I went to work spreading as much false information that I could to hide MMT’s role in that vote and our group moving forward, throwing out receipts left and right for anyone other than her so that the girl’s alliance could never be sure of who had come over to our side. I also spread false targets to the other side in order to effectively block any attempt at a unanimous vote to get rid of one of us, all while selling myself as a free agent that was happy to drop Fitty when the moment presented itself, putting me in the Bread Is Toast alliance (twice!)

In this role, I think I was most successful. I diverted people’s attention from the votes that they really should have pulled in to boot Fitty, identified the swing votes who were not going to roll our way any more, and helped to dunk them out at the right times to destabilize the remaining power structures in the game. I hustled harder than I thought possible during the second phase of the game to always make sure we had the numbers and that the image of Fitty as the king remained firm, up until we had a solid voting bloc of five and we could safely push through to endgame.

I lied, a lot. I cajoled, and withheld info or sold false narratives all in the name of getting here with the two of you, constantly keeping in mind who I was talking to and what they were likely to believe coming from me. I did this successfully, and in some cases ruthlessly. I believe I have a winning resume and am deserving of your votes tonight. If you need more info, or want to talk one-on-one, I am more than happy to oblige.

I also want to acknowledge everyone that helped us along the way, either victims of circumstance or people we had to eventually turn around and cut as the circle closed in. We wouldn’t be here without you, and I’m sorry you couldn’t join us here tonight.

To Fitty and MMT: We all made it here together, and I will be happy with whomever you two vote for. You are both wonderful teammates and it really has been a pleasure. I look forward to your arguments to win, and wish you the very best of luck.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
Congratulations to 50 and Max! You guys played way harder than me and honestly deserve to be here more than me. I appreciate that you guys reciprocated my trust and am happy with whoever wins :peanut:

I was going to write a giant speech about what this game was like from my perspective. It's been an interesting experience for sure, and I spent a long time mentally prepare the argument for why I'm the most worthy of a vote here.

But then I realized two things on my drive home from work:

1. My story is in the confessionals - as usual, I wrote a bunch of them. There's no real need to re-hash stuff.
2. What the game was like from my perspective isn't even necessarily relevant to this particular situation.

I got home and mapped things out, and the conclusion that I came to is that:

(a) If I vote for 50, he will almost certainly win the game
(b) If I vote for Max, all of us still have a chance of winning

I think this endgame is a lot more Prisoner's Dilemma than Survivor Jury? :ohdearsass: And so, in the interest of making the endgame more fair for everyone, I think you guys should assume that I'm voting for Max today.

I'll have a bunch to say after the game!

Max
Nov 30, 2002

loving masterful.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Congrats MMT and Max, you both deserve to be here for entirely different reasons, but I wouldn't be here without either of you.

MMT your trust in me, and my ability to trust in you allowed us to change the results of completely pivotal votes, your trust in me was the deciding factor in Max and I being able to hold onto control of the game.

Max, the final 2 agreement we made on the first day of the game ended up being the driving force of this game. Your strategic decisions and manipulation of floater votes in the midgame allowed us to retain control even after being smashed by a couple significant betrayals such as us losing AA who was pivotal to the initial strategy. I worked hard in the beginning of the game, but make no mistake, you were the driving force when it came to brass tacks. I picked the right wizard to my warrior.

For my reason I should win, I should explain my game and how I am voting today. MMT you were right, you are playing kingmaker today as I am going to vote for Max. Max was the other half of my game, he worked the game in ways that I couldn't because of how I positioned myself as the godfather figure. Because of that, and my final 2 agreement with him which I plan on honoring, I am going to go with him.

My game was essentially to play the connection between all allied players in the majority alliance of the game I avoided chatrooms to make myself pivotal in connections in votecounts, and to avoid information I didnt want being spread from being spread. I was also the only initial connection to you MMT because I wanted to both retain your trust, and have your vote being with us dependent on my involvement. Throughout the game I made promises to people I fully intended on honoring such as the final 5 I promised pmush b- and clord along with max and I. Had they all honored our alliance by not tanking pivotal alliance members such as AA I would have continued that agreement and this game would have played out far differently. In the end my argument for winning is that I got the ball rolling, and took the brunt of the attacks from opposing alliance, including being called soggy moldy bread. I even at times implemented strategies that put me in direct risk of elimination. I trusted both of you without question, and am very glad to see that trust paid off.

MMT the decision is yours, me or Max, two sides of the same coin, each pivotal to each others game, each here because of you. It's only fitting that you be the one who decides the win.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
With 0 votes, in third place...

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
50 pounds of bread

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
With 2 votes, the winner of Superpowered Popularity Contest...

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
peramene for comodding!

Oh and I guess Max got the most votes and gets the money.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I’m not going to gloat about making it to finals, because I think this game hurt people, deeply.

That’s not to say that was JJ’s fault, I think that the game itself is designed in such a way that it’s going to gently caress people up even if everyone agrees they are all here just to play a game.

I’m saying this at the outset: I think Popcon should never, ever be run again. These three weeks were a tortuous experience for me and showed me a side of myself that I grew disgusted with. There was one lie I told that I almost wished I could take back the instant I typed it and hit enter because of how much it twisted something someone did who I consider a friend. You’ll see in confessionals I actually broke down at one point, and if not for the partnership with MMT that I had, I don’t think I would have been able to keep this game up past the first week.

I had an F2 with both Fitty and MMT going simultaneously from very early on in the game, and after the Slamburger vote, it became my mission in life to get both F2’s to the end of the game. Fitty, I’m sorry I was starscreaming you for so long, and I hope you can forgive me. The friendship we forged was real, and meant something to me.

I think this game was run well, and thank JJ for modding it. A lot of difficult things happened that he had to navigate, and he did it to the best of his abilities. All of my sobbing and complaining I did was a hell of my own making, and I will not be playing a straight up FRG like this ever again.

To the people that I hurt, I’m sorry. I’m keeping my door open and really want to talk to work things out, but understand if that won’t be possible for some.

Thank you, good night.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Jon Joe posted:

peramene for comodding!

Oh and I guess Max got the most votes and gets the money.

Congratulations Max!

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

50 pounds of bread posted:

Throughout the game I made promises to people I fully intended on honoring such as the final 5 I promised pmush b- and clord along with max and I.

This never happened :colbert:

Congrats max!!!!!!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
The moddoc:

The Fool: Whenever you are targeted by another player’s power, you will learn who targeted you and what that portion of their power is (not their whole power, necessarily), and may choose a different target. Some powers may get around this by not targeting you directly.
The Magician: You may select another player to privately learn what their power does. Your power may be used only twice, and not both in the same day.
The High Priestess: You may place conditional votes on the basis of vote totals, e.g. “Vote player1 if they received more than X but less than Y votes, otherwise vote player2.” Like the example, you can at most specify 2 players. This power can be used as much as you like before it is revealed. Once it’s revealed, you can only use it one more time. This power cannot be used in Top 3.
The Empress: Once per day, you may grant 1 Point to any player, including yourself. If you reach Final 3 you may choose to eliminate another player and make it Final 2. When your power is revealed, and only on that day, you may choose if you want to publicly ##forsake your Final 3 power, which means you will no longer be able to use it if you do.
The Emperor: Once and only once, you may forcibly control another player’s vote, and change it even if they’ve already voted. This power will no longer be available in Top 5 onward.
The Hierophant: Each day, you may pick another player. The following day, their power won’t work. They will be informed of this, but not why.
The Lovers: Pick another player before the first day ends. If that player would be eliminated in Top 10 onward, but before Top 5, that elimination fails and you may optionally eliminate another player. This only works once. That player is not revealed when your power is.
The Chariot: When your power is revealed, select two players. All votes that day must be for one of those two players.
Strength: You have a one-shot elimination that can only be used in Top 5, Top 4, or Top 2. Post ##eliminate playername during one of those times to use it. This will also reveal your power if it hasn’t been revealed already.
The Hermit: You start at -2 Points. For as long as you have 0 or less Points, the voting rules on you are reversed: If you have the most votes, the player you vote is eliminated (and you’ll gain a lot of points, probably). If you have all the votes, you are eliminated. You are not protected from ties.
Wheel of Fortune: When the first player is eliminated, you may choose to gain a copy of their power. If you do not, you will gain a copy of the second eliminated player’s power. Which one you gained will not be revealed when your power is.
Justice: One time only, you may disable all other player’s powers for the rest of the day. This will be announced publicly, but not why.
The Hanged Man: You count as having +1 vote on you for the purpose of determining if all the votes are on you. This does not show up in vote totals. Doesn’t work in Top 3.
Death: You may communicate with eliminated players. When you are eliminated, choose another player to also be eliminated.
Temperance: You cannot be eliminated by votes if those votes are only a simple majority, not absolute majority (cannot be eliminated by less than 50%+1 of votes, rounded down). Instead, the player with the next most votes is eliminated. This specifically cannot prevent you from being eliminated during ties, but will protect you if another player gets all the votes and votes for you - instead they will be eliminated.
The Devil: Write me a power description. When your power is revealed, it’ll instead show that description. You can change your power description any time before it’s revealed. Don’t worry if the way you word things doesn’t fit; I’ll make slight alterations to make it seem like I wrote it. In addition, one time only, you may choose to gain 10 points.
The Tower: Whenever a player votes for you and you are not eliminated, the next day that player will count as having +1 vote for the purpose of whether they are eliminated by having most the votes. This will not show up in vote totals.
The Star: In Top 11, you have the only vote that counts.
The Moon: Each day, you may select another player to protect with the darkness of night. The next day, if they would be revealed that day, they won’t be. If they are eliminated on the day they cannot be revealed, their elimination will not include a reveal. If you manage to correctly guess at least 5 players who will be eliminated in this way, you’ll privately learn every power role in the game, but not who they belong to.
The Sun: You will know exactly how every player voted, the day after the vote.
Judgement: You control the result for ties, not point totals; you may select which and how many of the tied players are eliminated. This power doesn’t work in Top 4, but will let you select the winner in case of a tie in Top 3 or Top 2. You must respond within 12 hours of being messaged about the tie.
The World: You are powerless, the only one. Perhaps they will underestimate you?

Max
CirclMastr
Nephzinho
Bif
chaoslord
50 pounds of bread
curiousCat
AJ_Impy
Kashuno
Asiina
Anomalous Amalgam
PMush Perfect
Toalpaz
Slamburger
Beetphyxious
GeneX
b-minus1
Relevant Tangent
AnonymousNarcotics
Junpei
Dog Kisser
Murmur Twin

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Max posted:

I think Popcon should never, ever be run again.

It's banned forever from SA.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

chaoslord posted:

This never happened :colbert:

Congrats max!!!!!!

I didnt tell you directly, I told pmush because they told me they wanted to work with you.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Just wait a year for the dust to have settled.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jon Joe posted:

It's banned forever from SA.

:hmmyes: :emptyquote:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
POST THE GARNET TOTALS

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Taking presigns for Popcon 6: The game they don't want you to play

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

50 pounds of bread posted:

I didnt tell you directly, I told pmush because they told me they wanted to work with you.

PMush kept me at arms length, should have come to me directly with something like that haha.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Congrats max!

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Taking presigns for Popcon 6: The game they don't want you to play

Popcon 2020: The year of PopCon

12 months, 12 themes, 12 25-player games of PopCon

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Good game all.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Congrats Max you little bugger. :v:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thank you to everyone who wrote confessionals! As a spectator, they were fantastic to read.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Podima posted:

Thank you to everyone who wrote confessionals! As a spectator, they were fantastic to read.

I'm echoing that, I feel like I'm learning a whole lot about all of you. :cheers:

Also congratulations Max and thanks for running JonJoe!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Podima posted:

having never played one of these games before, I had no idea what I should or should not be writing. so I just went all train of thought on it

hopefully that was worth everyone's time to read.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Looking forward to reading other players confessionals now

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Yeah thanks Jon Joe

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

hambeet posted:

having never played one of these games before, I had no idea what I should or should not be writing. so I just went all train of thought on it

hopefully that was worth everyone's time to read.

They were good buddy :yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Podima posted:

They were good buddy :yeah:

I'm suspicious because you're being nice to me.

• Locked thread