Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Flash! The forest burns as the demon's flame consumes the trees. A smoke-obscured figure tries to run, but can't escape the conflagration before it, too, is wreathed in fire. A frightened couple, silhouetted by the blaze, converse in hushed tones, hoping not to draw the rampaging monster's attention.

The woman speaks, her voice unsteady and hoarse with age and exhaustion. "Do you really think it will work? Even for a prophecy, it sounds pretty far-fetched."

Her husband replies, trying to convince himself as much as his wife, "Stranger things have happened. And if it doesn't, what have we lost? Our only hope is that they will come to save us, before the entire island is ash."

The identity of these potential saviors is left unsaid, as the pair continue fleeing into the night.

A new adventure begins...

Mitano-Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan, 2:35 PM, Sunday

The day has finally arrived. At long last, kids will have someplace to hang out in the usually adult-oriented Roppongi District. The location was chosen carefully, a few blocks away from the nightclubs and bars, nestled among the outlying businesses, but still close enough to maintain that allure of the mature that appeals to disaffected youths. It's a child's wonderland, filled with all the latest technology and boasting attractions that can't be found anywhere else.

It's Game Center 「DIGITAL WORLD」!

The bright lights and raucous sounds of arcade games beckon, calling out to those who seek excitement, adventure, or just an escape from the real world. Who will be drawn in by its siren song?

(Alrighty, the game is afoot! As reminders and for convenience, the rules I wrote, and may yet modify in future if need be, are here, the recruit/OOC chat thread is here, and the Discord channel (open to spectators) is here. Be sure to include a copy of your character sheet at the bottom of your first post, just in case the OOC thread gets archived.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

The siren song of blinking lights, singing machines, and kids whooping and hollering weren't lost on Erica as she walked into the Digital World. The girl was dressed in what was clearly a grass-stained soccer uniform: a dark blue T-shirt with black stripes at the ends of the sleeves, a pair of black shorts with white stripes running up them, and then a pair of knee-high socks and a pair of sneakers - her soccer cleats were likely in the backback strapped to her back still.

She walks in alone - distinctly alone despite the other kids strolling in before and after her. She looked bored, her lips twisted into a frown, but that fades somewhat as she looks around...and then she loses herself in the glitz and noise of the arcade. The girl threw herself at the machines, one after another, and her wallet seemed nearly bottomless as she played. She definitely erred towards the competetive games - Street Fighter, racing games, even DDR!

Despite playing games mostly -with- other children, she rarely talked to them. Her gaze was locked onto the screen, and - more often than not - she was the victor. She did accept all challengers that came her way, and she even pumped her own tokens into the machines to keep her challengers playing with her when they did show up. And despite how standoffish she seemed, she never trash talked - if she was defeated she would immediately ask for a rematch and if she won, they'd get a quite simple, "Good game."

And this way, she spends hours burning away the day. She arrived early, after soccer practice, and she wasn't expected home until late that evening. She could leave any time she wished, and it was likely none of the employees minded her loitering so long as she was still spending tokens.

Erica is taking on all challengers to her gaming throne!: 1d6 3 Gaming Skill: 5

A Moody Prodigy posted:

Name: Erica Shiki
Role: Moody Kid
Partner: Pagumon -> Tapirmon

Moody Kid Skill Cap: Athletics
Skills (Specializations)

Athletics (Soccer): 6
Science and Technology (Gaming): 4
Craft: Woodworking: 3
Academics: Classic Literature: 3

Traits and Drawbacks

+Wealthy
+Strong Bond
+Fighter

-Anxiety Prone

Items
Soccer Ball
Cell Phone
Snacks
Pocket Knife
Pocket Works of Shakespeare
Nintendo DS with a handful of games

Languages
English
Japanese

Pagumon! posted:

Pagumon
Level: In-training
Type: Virus
Power: 4
Defense: 4
Speed: 3
Special: Bubble Breath
Special: Small

Tapirmon! posted:

Tapirmon
Level: Rookie
Type: Virus
Power: 3
Defense: 5
Speed: 4

Galick fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 9, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

After a busy day working on my latest one-shot, where better to go than a new arcade? In casual clothes with ink stains on the wrists, I skip through the facility looking for anything I might want to play. Don't like the graphics, imbalanced, money sink, gacha, geez.

Of course, some people end up recognizing me and I have to take a picture or two, that's just the price one pays. I was hoping for a day to myself, but what are you gonna do?

I make my way to a back corner filled with old machines and I see it! I see the game! Only one of the greatest fighting games based on the greatest manga ever made!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlvdqhDy5H8

quote:

Name: Kimiko Andersen
Role: Everyone's Friend
Partner: ???

Skills (Specializations):
Art 5 (Drawing)
Social 3 (Small Talk)
Academics 3 (Art History)
Perception 2 (Natural Aesthetic)

Traits:
+Competent (Art)
+Consistent (L3)
-Anxiety-Prone

Items:
Sketchpad
Book of paintings
Stack of business cards

Languages:
Japanese
English

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Tsukishima Yuki

A few moments after Erica, Yuki walks into the arcade. She doesn't particularly have a reason to head home soon — her dad and Sachiko are going to be gone for the weekend on some sort of retreat — and the prospect of whiling away the hours in an empty house is hardly enticing. She spends a few moments scoping out the games on offer. Most of them seem awfully fiddly, for her tastes, but there is one that draws her eye: VR! Burning Baseball! The over-the-top name aside, it seems as though it's a rig that lets you challenge digital recreations of world-class pitchers in an — allegedly — thrilling home run derby.

After a few moments trying not to be interested by the prospect of a real challenge, Yuki gives up and tosses her bag down by the side of the VR enclosure. She slots in most of her tokens — this game is really expensive! — and secures the helmet atop her head. Taking a few practice swings with the bat prop, she makes a few adjustments to her stance and readies herself to face whoever is on the other end.

Smash a few homers in VR Baseball!: 1d6 3 Baseball Skill: 6

From the outside, people can see her avatar smashing homer after homer up against pitchers that start in high-school baseball uniforms and slowly cycle towards pitchers in recognizable pro-team uniforms. This draws a bit of buzz, as she's easily on course to challenge the high score, and a few even line up for the next game. This... doesn't work out for them, sadly, as Yuki shows absolutely no signs of losing any time soon. If one could see under her helmet, they might see hints of that same wild grin that her teammates knew so well. In this moment, she's able to cast off just a small bit of her trials and tribulations and just be herself.

The Leader posted:

Name: Tsukishima Yuki
Role: The Leader
Partner: Liollmon

Frimon
Level: In-training
Type: Vaccine
Defense: 3
Special: Bubble Breath
Special: Small

Liollmon
Level: Rookie

Leomon
Level: Champion
Power: 5
Special: The Leomon Curse

Skills (Specializations):
Athletics 5 (Baseball)
Social 4 (Making New Friends)
Arts & Crafts 4 (Outdoor cooking)

Traits:
+Always Champion
+Competent (Athletics)

1 SP saved towards Strong Bond

Items:
A baseball bat
A deck of cards
Some portable cooking gear
Snacks and ingredients
A cellphone

Tricky fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 19, 2019

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Teru Kaneyama

"Thanks, my dad just wanted to make sure we had all the information right for your plaque," Teru said, giving one of the staff members her best customer-facing smile. Digital World was a big catch, for the Kaneyama's. Out of all the local priests in the area they had called up her dad to come and bless the place before construction began, and now the owner had signed off on a considerable donation to the shrine. So there Teru was, making sure there was plenty of Kaneyama face time at the business. A simple phone call or e-mail would have been enough to check that the donor plaque they were making for Digital World was okay, but big spenders always got the kid glove treatment.

"Everything looks good, thanks!" the staff member said, handing the paperwork back to Teru. He then reached behind the counter and presented her with a prepaid game card, good for a handful of free games. "Here, go have some fun!"

Teru made sure to notch her smile up a bit more while she accepted the card with thanks. But, as soon as the staffer had turned away, her smile fell. Not completely, she had trained herself never to have a dark face in public, but it was a bit strained.

Oh. Good. Free games.

Any other kid probably would have whooped for joy and ran to the nearest machine, but Teru wasn't there as a normal kid, she was there on business. Which meant everything was PR. You could never tell what would offend a customer, so any offers had to be taken up. She was now obligated to 'go have some fun'. Only she had never been to an arcade before. Some of the machines had names she recognized from small talk at school, but that didn't help her with how they were meant to be played. And if she just picked a random machine and completely clutzed it up that would draw eyes from the crowd. People might laugh at her. A staffer might see and think 'These Kaneyamas don't care about arcades at all, they just want our money!'

She couldn't just stand there frozen, so she started walking around slowly, as if trying to decide what game she wanted to play the most. In reality, her mind was going down a quick, panicked checklist:

Rhythm Game? I don't know any of these songs...
Quiz? I'm horrible with pop culture, and if anyone sees me mess up the name of a popular actor...
Racing? I've never driven in my life...
Fighting? It looks so competitive...
Claw Game? Those things look impossible!
Photo booth? Is there anything lonelier than taking photos by yourself?

Her eyes were starting to spin and she felt cold sweat on her forehead. She felt like the staffer was watching her, but didn't dare turn to look. She just needed to pick. Something, anything!

Then she came across a zombie lightgun game with hefty plastic machine guns attached to it. After she watched a few kids play it for a minute, it clicked. It was just pointing at the screen and holding down the trigger. Even she could do that, and probably have about as much success as anyone else.

She decided to play it up a little, even. Everything was PR, after all. Taking up one of the plastic machine-guns and cradling it awkwardly in her arms, she proclaimed: "As a priestess of the Kaneyama Shrine, I will purify these lost souls!"

And then she shot the heads off some zombies.

It was strangely cathartic.

Teru posted:

Name: Teru Kaneyama
Preferred Role: Team Parent
Digimon: Unknown

Skills (Specializations)

Athletics (Endurance): 3 - Cleaning the shrine every day is hard work.
Science and Technology (Medicine): 4 - Forget inheriting the shrine, she's going to be a doctor someday.
Social (Small Talk): 3 - Doctors need bedside manner, and shrine priestesses need customer service. Either way she's a confident conversationalist.
Crafts (Charms): 2 - She's made a few (thousand) little charms and souvenirs for the shrine

Traits and Drawbacks

+Natural Defender
+Prepared

Items
Small First-Aid Kit (Band-aids, EpiPen, gauze, medical tape, scissors, alcohol swabs, simple first-aid pamphlet)
School backpack with notebook and writing utensils
A small pouch of salt
A handful of charms from the Kaneyama Shrine

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Zak

Stepping into the neon-colored interior of Digital World was like stepping into a whole other universe. Zak takes a moment to stop gawping at all the flashing screens to look down at his own phone, with its "lucky phone case." He opens up his Notes app, and scrolls down to one labelled "Things to Do in Japan". Several items on the list have check marks next to them, like 'ride on a bullet train' or 'eat sushi' With a satisfied smile, Zak checks off 'take the Tokyo subway' item. One stop totally counts, right? Especially since he did it on his own, while Mom and Dad were in the hotel relaxing by the pool. He puts the phone in its own pocket in his brand new messenger bag, which had been his birthday gift from Mom. His smile fades a bit as he thinks about the plans he had had to go exploring in the mountains with that bag. Now he's stuck exploring urban streets without any cool animals to study. His preteen angst is forgotten when he hears the sound of drums coming from one of the machines nearby, having wandered deeper into the arcade while lost in thought. The drums were the highlight of the uhh...yeah, the Tanabata festival from last year. Zak loved standing close and feeling the drumbeats deep in his bones, feeling at one with the rhythm and the crowd. Later that same night, he and his parents wrote wishes and hung them up on some bamboo near their new apartment. Dad said that speaking a wish out loud would mean it wouldn't come true, so he didn't say that he had wished to finally have a best friend he could call his own...maybe banging the video game drum for a bit would help him feel better.

"Navy Brat" posted:

Name: Isaac 'Zak' Levesque,III
Role: The Practical One

Skills -
Athletics 1 (soccer)
Academics 3 ( Japanese, Swearing in Afrikaans)
Science 2 (biology)
Arts 1 ( card tricks)
Social 3 (meeting new people)
Perception 3 (spotting camouflaged things)
Legerdemain 0

Traits and Drawbacks -
Prepared: Leatherman Multitool
Difficult Digivolution
Competent: Perception
Natural Defender

Items
Academic: Books on nature, flora and fauna
Social: Deck of playing cards (animal themed)
Perception: Magnifying glass and binoculars
School Supplies
Cell Phone (ladybug-design phone case)
MREs given by Dad

FewtureMD fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 15, 2018

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Mika Fujinomiya

For the first time since she'd gotten on train several hours ago, Mika allowed herself to relax. Now that she was in the city (and more importantly, in the parts of the city that she was actually allowed to be in without people asking difficult questions, even if it was sort of on a technicality), she was, more or less, home free - there's no way anyone would be able to track her here, after all. Especially in Roppongi. She took a quick selfie next to one of the games - Virtua Fighter, it looked like from a quick glance, but who cared - and then wandered into the crowd, losing herself in the noise. A girl waving one of the plastic guns around and saying some sort of anime nonsense caught her ears, and she drifted over to watch. What was up with that, anyway?

quote:

Skills:
Science and Technology (Computers)*5
Arts&Crafts (Sewing/Fashion) 4
Perception (Night Vision) 2
Social (INTERNET BLOGGING) 3
Academics 2 (Poetry) (Extra Language: English)

Traits and Drawbacks:
Competent (Academics 2, A&C 1, S&T 1)
Anxiety-Prone

Items:
THE LAPTOP (possibly)
1x Cell Phone
1x Sewing Kit
1x Deck of Tarot Cards
1x Train Pass
1x Hand Mirror
???x Pack of Wasabi Gummies
School Supplies

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Mitano-Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan, 4:44 PM, Sunday

As the bright lights and exciting games of Game Center 「DIGITAL WORLD」 command the attention of the various patrons, the six unassuming youths eventually notice that they are the only people left in the arcade. Erika is the first to notice, as her latest racing victory is rendered hollow by the empty chair next to her. Not a single other child remains, and even the staff are nowhere to be found. Perhaps the din of the machines drowned out their departure, but that doesn't explain why everyone suddenly left.

Suddenly, as if on cue, row by row, starting from the front of the game center, the machines begin to shut down, their lights going dark, and screens turning blank. When the process is finished, the only machine left active is one that none of the kids had paid any attention to. As far as any of them had noticed, not a single patron had used the machine all day. It's a large, garish booth, striped in red and white. A small console with a keyboard is embedded next to the closed door of the booth, that it remains lit is the only indication that this machine still functions.

What will the six children do, faced with this most bizarre mystery?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Tsukishima Yuki

Just before Yuki swings at that fateful last fastball — it's a touch out of her preferred zone, but a little choke will see it flying just fine — the machine goes dark. It takes a moment to really set in, particularly with how focused she's become on the game, but when it does... well, the bit of the ol' Yuki grin that has plastered itself across her face fades. Typical, isn't it? She takes off the VR headset, then notices it wasn't just her machine that had gone down. Now she's a touch curious. Life crapping on her? That's a bummer. Life crapping on everyone? That's a mystery, and she always has had a taste for those.

Yuki hefts up her bag, walking towards the last bastion of light, and calls out, "Hey! Anyone still here? What happened?"

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Erica Shiki

"YOU WI-" the audio from the game cuts off as she screams across the finish line, and she blinks - twice - before turning to look at her opponent...who was gone. That game was competitive! She knew they wouldn't just leave when they were inches behind her, and she had been feeding tokens into both their machines for the entire challenge just so it wouldn't end. Where were they?

Clambering out of the bucket seat, she tilts her head to the side as Yuki calls out and she frowns. Making her way over to the flickering arcade cabinet she shoulders her backpack and keeps a wary eye out for anyone else - and she does see a few people still scattered. The handful still here were still -miles- away from the packed floor of moments ago, however.

She stops at the cabinet and glances around her - obviously somewhat nervous, but that comes across in a scowl and narrowed eyes. "What happened? You have any idea, Tsukishima?" she asks - she was somewhat familiar with the other sports star, but she rarely spoke to her. "And what -is- this thing? I didn't see it all day. Let's see here...still working looks like, probably still takes tokens? Where are the staff, too?"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kimiko

I'm off in my own world as the lights turn off, snapping me back to reality. Wait...is the arcade closing? How long was I in here?! I step back from the Jojo cabinet and look around, trying to find my way through the darkened halls.

Two muffled voices from somewhere else in the building reach me and I turn towards them. Oh good! There are still people here! I can tell them not to lock me in here!

I rush in the direction of the voices, crying out, "HEY! I'm still in here, don't lock up!"

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Zak

Having moved on to try a variety of games, Zak is surprised when his latest choice of machine dies suddenly. Looking around, he sees that nearly the entire arcade has been plunged into darkness, except for one weird booth bathed in a beam of light. Several other kids are already near the machine, so Zak heads over, hoping that his Japanese is good enough to get his meaning across. He digs out his phone and starts composing a text while he walks, letting his parents know about the weirdness that is going on.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Tsukishima Yuki

Yuki shakes her head at Erica's question, "Nah, no clue. I was about to set the high score in the batting game when everything went dark. By the time I got my helmet off, it was..." She gestures at the rest of the arcade. "Like this." She walks over towards the strange machine as well, trying to figure out why it was the only one still working... not that she really had any idea about that sort of thing, of course.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Teru Kaneyama

Teru was just getting the hang of the shooting game when the lights cut out. Having no silly superstitions, she wasn't immediately frightened by that in itself, though she did tense up a bit waiting for the earthquake or other natural disaster that could have caused the power to fail. When nothing came, she looked around. In the dim light, she saw that everyone else seemed to have vanished aside from a few kids standing near the only still operating machine and the girl who had been watching her shoot. She met the girl's eyes and gave her a reassuring smile.

"Don't worry, this is probably just a big PR stunt," she said. Some kind of urban legend thing. That kind of story always went viral on the internet these days, and it would be a good draw for curious thrill seekers. "They're probably just trying to hype up... whatever that is," she added, nodding toward the still operational machine.

"Might as well not keep them waiting," she said, walking toward the machine.

Brushing past a few other kids who had gathered near the still-running machine, she muttered: "Probably just a publicity stunt," again, loud enough that perhaps they heard it as she passed by. It was probably funded by whatever company had made this game. If the spooky story of a haunted game went viral, it would mean a lot more kids coming to see it. How cheap. Just like the shrines that would publish their own urban legends, hoping to draw in dark tourists and thrill seekers.

Without hesitation she reached out with the card. She felt eyes on her back, so she decided to make it a little more dramatic. Shifting her grip on the card, she swiped with a force that may have brought a certain anime in mind to those watching nearby. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62mkMx5IK5s)

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 7, 2018

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Mika Fujinomiya

"Either that or it's, like, actually closing time maybe? I mean, I totally wasn't paying all that much attention. Weird that they didn't yell at us though." Mika blinked owlishly in the wan light as she trotted after Teru, looking a bit lost but not particularly frightened. Publicity stunt made sense. Weird that she didn't see anyone filing out before the power got cut... but again, she was more focused on watching that other girl headshot zombies than anything else, so maybe it didn't matter what she hadn't noticed.

Mika rifled through her bag and came up with her phone, hitting the flashlight and sweeping it around the room quickly - just in case - before she caught up with zombie girl. She ducked out of Teru's way as she did some sort of ginormous overdramatic card swipe through the machine, but her attention was soon grabbed by the console and keyboard. "Here, let me give this a look," she muttered, carefully stepping around the knot of onlookers before giving the keyboard an experimental poke.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Mitano-Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan, 4:47 PM, Sunday

As soon as the kids begin to interact with the mysterious arcade booth, there is a soft crackling sound as a conical loudspeaker mounted to the machine's corner comes to life. A male voice begins speaking, his voice slightly tinny from the low quality of the speaker.

"Ah, welcome, children, and congratulations! You've been pre-selected and pre-approved for a one-of-kind experience! Guaranteed to do away with all boredom, malaise, ennui, melancholy, childhood angst, and any and all cases of the doldrums! And as luck would have it, there's room for six! Just step right up, deposit your fare, and your grand adventure will begin!"

The loudspeaker goes quiet, and while there doesn't appear to be any form of intercom, the machine somehow knew how many children were in the room, so it stands to reason that whoever was just speaking may be able to hear any questions they might (and almost certainly do) have.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Zak

Zak feels like he's made entirely of goosebumps as the speaker finishes its message. How did it know there were 6 of us? This feels weird. Out loud, in stilted Japanese, he says "You didn't say anything about safety. Don't these games have uhhh..." He pauses for a moment trying to find the right word. "official laws about that?" he finishes in a slightly embarassed tone.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

The loudspeaker responds in a practiced, professional tone.

"Worry not, your safety has been thoroughly provided for, with measures specially tailored to your individual needs! However, we are not responsible for loss of sanity, loss of patience, loss of friendships, or loss of luggage. If you are not completely satisfied, your wasted time will be refunded!"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Tsukishima Yuki

Yuki slams home a token into the machine, figuring the quickest way to the bottom of things is playing ball, then looks at the loudspeaker. She says, "Alright, cool, great. Is this some sort of prank? You getting this all on film or something?" She crosses her arms. "I don't see any grand adventure, just a busted arcade and... a pretty eclectic crowd."

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Mika Fujinomiya

"I dunno, like, loss of sanity... really doesn't sound all that great?" Mika continues poking at the keyboard, trying to get it to pull up, she didn't know, maybe a menu or something. She could work with it from there.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

As Mika fools with the keyboard, the screen only records her inputs. When a certain number of characters have been input, the screen briefly flashes red, displaying a message of "INVALID PASSCODE" and then resets. The man operating the loudspeaker seems to notice this, and speaks up.

"That's not going to do much, young lady, that console's just for inputting the password, which you'll be provided once everyone's deposited their tokens. We wouldn't want just anyone wandering in here. Fortunately, the six of you have been chosen for this one-of-a-kind experience! Get away from your dreary, everyday lives for a while, it's sure to give you a change in perspective!"

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Teru Kaneyama

"Well, it's better than sweeping leaves at the shrine all day," Teru said, shrugging and shifting her backpack. "I'm not very good at games, though, so you might want to put me on beginner mode or something. It won't make for a very good PR video if one of your players gets stuck right out of the gate."

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Erica Shiki

The girl's red hair stands on end as the tinny voice comes over the loudspeaker, and she glances around at the five other kids before glancing up at the unseen speaker. "Y'gotta be kidding, right? What is this, kidnapping therapy? Where's everyone else?" she asks, and her arms cross defiantly over her chest. She wasn't dumb - far from it - and she glanced around at the empty arcade for a few longer moments before dumping token after token into the machine. She didn't stop - at all - until she had pumped enough in there for all six of them and then some.

She speaks, lowly, and her voice is somewhat awkward. "Listen we...we should play along. With everyone else gone? Who knows what happened to'm?" The girl spoke with a touch of an Osaka-ben dialect - she had lived there for a while earlier in life - but it was really only noticeable now that she seemed painfully stressed. Her eyes were narrowed, and she kept on tapping her foot while one hand had a white knuckle grip on her backpack.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Zak

"Maybe this is like one of those prank videos on Youtube," he thinks aloud in English "It can't be anything too scary, or our parents would freak out..." He drops a token into the slot and goes to peer over the shoulder of the girl with the glasses working with the keyboard.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

As Erika loads the machine with tokens, the voice announces. "Each of you must deposit your own fare. All destinies non-transferable."

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Mika Fujinomiya

"Nothing. It just wants a password. This is-." She pauses as Zak speaks up, then switches to English for his benefit. "Needs a password." Back to Japanese, she adds. "I mean, we might as well play along with whatever stunt this is, right? Because, like, the sooner we do that, the sooner everyone jumps out of hiding and goes 'boo' or whatever? So we might as well just all put a token in and see what ha-"

She cuts off suddenly as she finishes digging through her bag, looking a bit sheepish. Whoooops, she hadn't actually bought any tokens earlier - she'd meant to, of course, if only because it'd look less suspicious, but she'd just taken a few moments to reorient herself, then gotten distracted by zombie girl, and then, well... not like she could run and buy some now, could she? Mika glances over at the service counter, wondering if someone would come out of hiding if she tried to steal some tokens, but ultimately decided against it. After all, it was wrong to steal, especially if there was a simpler solution at hand.

"Um, can I, like, bum a token off someone? I'm totally out."

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Erica Shiki

Given the pile of tokens she had - she hadn't even begun to dig through her stash at this point - she very pointedly gives a token to each member of the group aside from the girl with the play card. "This okay, creepy guy?" she calls out, and then she swaps to English herself. "I still really don't like this. I bet the door's locked, too, even if we tried to leave."

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

The voice replies, "The exit is open. This attraction is exclusively for those who wish to liven up their mundane, humdrum existence! If anyone among you is content with their lives as they are, we encourage them to be on their way, with apologies for the inconvenience."

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Erica Shiki

At this, Erica falls silent. She doesn't make for the exit, but neither does she look happy about it - at all.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kimiko Andersen

I'm mostly silent as the rules of the game are laid out. Man, did I fall asleep reading Jump again? I pinch myself just to make sure. Nope, real.

As the cold token is pressed into my palm, I look down at it and think about what's waiting for me if I choose to leave.

Andersen, we'd love to have a new story from you by the end of the month.

You should be busy drawing.

This could lead to an actual published series when you're 18.

We're sure you'll make us proud, Kimiko.

"I'm doing it!" I exclaim as I walk up and slide my token in, turning to the rest with a big grin.

"I dunno about you guys, but I could go for a good vacation right now!"

And with that, I run in!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Mitano-Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan, 4:56 PM, Sunday

As the final token clatters into the machine, the mysterious voice makes an announcement.

"Well done, children! Now, simply input the following passcode, and prepare for excitement beyond your wildest imagination!"

The voice then began declaring characters, slowly enough that Mika could type them in easily.

"@[=g3,8d]\&fbb=-q]/hk%fg"

As the last is typed into the console, there is an affirmative beep as the screen flashes green, displaying the message "PASSCODE ACCEPTED". With a sharp, hydraulic hiss, the door to the booth slowly opens, and the console begins sinking back into the machine. Once far enough back, the console turns around, and returns to its position, now revealing a set of six small devices, held in individual alcoves.

Once the door is fully opened, the voice continues its explanation. "Now, take your Digivice and step inside, adventure awaits!"

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Erica Shiki

She pauses for a moment before plucking one out - the middle one in the top row. It was small enough that it fit easily into her hand, and she gave it a shake to see if anything rattled. "What's a Digivice?" she asks, but she doesn't wait for an answer. Instead, she steps into the little booth and takes a seat in the front row, in one of the corner seats. It's the one furthest way from the door, meaning she had to clamber over the others a bit.

She turned away from the group and was staring at the little thing in her hand - it was smaller than her phone even, and she played with it some. There -were- three buttons on the face of it and what looked like an LCD screen so she tried a few things to see if she could get it to do anything. She pressed the buttons - once all at once, then trying them all in sequence - and assuming that did nothing, she flips it around to look at the back to see if there was a slot to insert a pin to reset it like some older handheld games.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kimiko Andersen

"Let's see....eenie meenie miney THIS ONE!" I take the one on the top right corner, tossing it in the air and catching it.

"Digivice? Man, what is this, a Sunday morning anime?" I fiddle with the buttons before popping it in my pocket and sitting back in the booth, making myself very well at home.

"Come on, hurry up!"

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Teru Kaneyama

Obediently and without hesitation, Teru took the 'Digivice'. She decided not to try messing with it too much herself, since there would probably be instructions on how to use it once the event began. Hopefully. She wasn't good at figuring out gadgets. Turning toward the open exit, she started forward, then paused. Looking around at the other kids, she cleared her throat and gave them her best customer service smile. Polite, not cheesy, with a sort of built-in professional distance. Warm enough to be inviting, but not enough that it could be called friendly, exactly.

"By the way, my name is Teru Kaneyama. Sorry, I should have introduced myself earlier, but this whole thing caught me off guard. I think it would be good to know everyone's name, though, since it looks like this is something we're meant to do as a te-... group."

She caught herself from saying 'team'. That was just her wishful thinking talking. Sure, she would probably have fun doing whatever this game thing was with these kids, but in the end they'd go their separate ways, and she'd go back to cleaning the shrine. Again she'd 'join' a clique and remain squarely at its furthest edge. She made sure not to flinch at the thought, but her smile turned just a little bit sad.

"I hope we can all have some fun together, at least."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Tsukishima Yuki

More bemused than anything at this point, given the quickly ramping absurdity, Yuki takes the bottom-middle device and examines it. She says, "So, what, this is a marketing stunt for a new handheld?" She looks up at Teru, though, and says, "It's nice to meet you. I'm Yuki. Tsukishima Yuki."

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Zak

Hand paused a few inches from the remaining toy in the top row, Zak pauses for a moment. "Before I get in this...booth with you all, I'd like to at least tell you my name, to avoid any future awkwardness." He awkwardly bows a bit as he says this, totally undermining his words. "My name is Isaac Lesveque, but you can call me Zak!" With that, he climbs into the seat in the front row farthest from the door, so as to allow the remaining kids to enter.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kimiko Andersen

"Kimiko Andersen, here!"

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Erica Shiki

She continues fiddling with it, and only looks up - briefly - when Zak plops down next to her. "Erica Shiki," she offers and then turns her gaze back downwards, her tongue curling above her lip as she continues to play/try to figure out the Digivice with a look of mixed concentration and frustration.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Mitano-Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan, 4:61 PM, Sunday

As the group steps into the machine, the door closes behind them, leaving them in the pitch darkness of the arcade booth. The "Digivices" don't react to inputs, but one could reasonably assume they'll become active once the machine starts whatever it's designed to do. It doesn't take long for something to happen, as mere seconds after the door has sealed shut, the chamber begins to light up. The walls, floor, and ceiling all shine with a pure, white light. Despite being bright enough that the surfaces themselves are rendered impossible to see, this brightness causes the children no discomfort or difficulty seeing each other. This light is paired with an audible hum, like a fluorescent light help up to a megaphone. Neither effect lasts more than a minute, at which point the room goes dark once more. Additionally, something else has changed, in a most curious fashion.

The floor is gone.

And the six children plummet into the darkness.

(If you wish to attempt to flail out into the darkness and grab a nearby character, roll Athletics. Any penalty for surprise is offset by how close together you all are. If you succeed, I'll let you know who you managed to grab onto.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Tsukishima Yuki

There's a brief moment, right before her body remembers, "Oh yeah, I should be falling if I don't have something to stand on," that Yuki can only let out a laugh. Maybe this was a weird delusion, maybe it was a prank, but... more than anything? It was interesting. It was fun! And then, of course, fall she does.

As everyone tumbles down, she instinctually grabs for the nearest person.

Athletics: 1d6 1