Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Zak

Stepping into the neon-colored interior of Digital World was like stepping into a whole other universe. Zak takes a moment to stop gawping at all the flashing screens to look down at his own phone, with its "lucky phone case." He opens up his Notes app, and scrolls down to one labelled "Things to Do in Japan". Several items on the list have check marks next to them, like 'ride on a bullet train' or 'eat sushi' With a satisfied smile, Zak checks off 'take the Tokyo subway' item. One stop totally counts, right? Especially since he did it on his own, while Mom and Dad were in the hotel relaxing by the pool. He puts the phone in its own pocket in his brand new messenger bag, which had been his birthday gift from Mom. His smile fades a bit as he thinks about the plans he had had to go exploring in the mountains with that bag. Now he's stuck exploring urban streets without any cool animals to study. His preteen angst is forgotten when he hears the sound of drums coming from one of the machines nearby, having wandered deeper into the arcade while lost in thought. The drums were the highlight of the uhh...yeah, the Tanabata festival from last year. Zak loved standing close and feeling the drumbeats deep in his bones, feeling at one with the rhythm and the crowd. Later that same night, he and his parents wrote wishes and hung them up on some bamboo near their new apartment. Dad said that speaking a wish out loud would mean it wouldn't come true, so he didn't say that he had wished to finally have a best friend he could call his own...maybe banging the video game drum for a bit would help him feel better.

"Navy Brat" posted:

Name: Isaac 'Zak' Levesque,III
Role: The Practical One

Skills -
Athletics 1 (soccer)
Academics 3 ( Japanese, Swearing in Afrikaans)
Science 2 (biology)
Arts 1 ( card tricks)
Social 3 (meeting new people)
Perception 3 (spotting camouflaged things)
Legerdemain 0

Traits and Drawbacks -
Prepared: Leatherman Multitool
Difficult Digivolution
Competent: Perception
Natural Defender

Items
Academic: Books on nature, flora and fauna
Social: Deck of playing cards (animal themed)
Perception: Magnifying glass and binoculars
School Supplies
Cell Phone (ladybug-design phone case)
MREs given by Dad

FewtureMD fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Zak

Having moved on to try a variety of games, Zak is surprised when his latest choice of machine dies suddenly. Looking around, he sees that nearly the entire arcade has been plunged into darkness, except for one weird booth bathed in a beam of light. Several other kids are already near the machine, so Zak heads over, hoping that his Japanese is good enough to get his meaning across. He digs out his phone and starts composing a text while he walks, letting his parents know about the weirdness that is going on.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Zak

Zak feels like he's made entirely of goosebumps as the speaker finishes its message. How did it know there were 6 of us? This feels weird. Out loud, in stilted Japanese, he says "You didn't say anything about safety. Don't these games have uhhh..." He pauses for a moment trying to find the right word. "official laws about that?" he finishes in a slightly embarassed tone.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Zak

"Maybe this is like one of those prank videos on Youtube," he thinks aloud in English "It can't be anything too scary, or our parents would freak out..." He drops a token into the slot and goes to peer over the shoulder of the girl with the glasses working with the keyboard.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Zak

Hand paused a few inches from the remaining toy in the top row, Zak pauses for a moment. "Before I get in this...booth with you all, I'd like to at least tell you my name, to avoid any future awkwardness." He awkwardly bows a bit as he says this, totally undermining his words. "My name is Isaac Lesveque, but you can call me Zak!" With that, he climbs into the seat in the front row farthest from the door, so as to allow the remaining kids to enter.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Zak

As the floor and seats disappear and Zak plummets into the darkness, he hears his dad's voice in his head. Tuck and roll son! Tuck and rollllll! He starts curling around his bag, trying to not land directly on it.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Zak

"Oh...my...GOD!!!" Zak suddenly sits up and starts scrambling for his bag, knocking the creature off him in his rush to grab his phone. Managing to turn on his camera app, he starts recording it. "My name is Isaac Levesque the third, and if anyone finds this video, this is *proof of either aliens or something else entirely! All I know is that I have found some sort of creature that can talk perfect English...oh! sorry for knocking you over, buddy, I was just really excited! Can you introduce yourself to me...and the camera, again?"

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Zak

"You said something about being my partner..."Zak puts the phone away before saying the next bit. "...does that mean we're friends? Because I could really use a friend who knows what's going on around here." He had noticed the lack of signal on his phone earlier, but now the enormity of the situation is starting to sink in a bit. "Oh! And speaking of what's going on, uhhh Motimon, right? Have you seen any other kids like me around? Oh, uh humans about my size and age are known as 'kids'. He picks up the creature in his arms, "let's go find the others!"

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Zak

"Hold on tight!" With that, Zak takes off towards the roaring noise, determined to do what he can to help. As he runs through the forest clutching his new blobby friend, he starts making a mental inventory of what he's got in his bag Some books, some MREs, my new multi-tool...I hope it's enough!. He's so focused on navigating the through the woods quickly, that he fails to notice the 'Digivice' he picked up has a glowing screen which is displaying a pixelated form of Motimon's face.

FewtureMD fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 8, 2018

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Zak

Horrified at the thought of the big green... Digimon attacking the tiny blob that is Tokomon, Zak draws on all the nature videos he's watched to try and scare the monster away. "Motimon, follow my lead!" With that, he holds his arms out and up as high as he can, and starts making growling noises, hoping to draw Ogremon away.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Zak

Seeing as his anti-wild antics aren't super effective, Zak is incredibly relieved when the two girls who seemed to know each other show up and complete the group. 6 on 1 makes the fight barely even at this point. When Motimon starts calling for "Digivolution", Zak thinks about the 'Digivice' clipped to his bag strap. Looking down, he can see that it's glowing brightly. The two have to be related! He unclips the toy and holds it out towards his partner. "Motimon! Let's uhhh..." He steels himself." Let's Digivolve!"

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Zak

Shocked by the sudden transformation of his partner, Zak's instinct is to snap yet another picture using his cellphone. "Wow, how did you change body structure so quickly, Kunemon?! It must take a lot of energy to.." He realizes now is not the time when the large yellow insect points towards the fight. "Ahaha, right. Kunemon, go help them out!". ~"Finally, a chance to actually use some strategy in this conflict, and not just show off"~ Kunemon rears on its hind legs and let's fly a stream of silken threads crackling with electricity. ~"Electro Thread!"~

@Fewture: 1d6 Kunemon, trip him up! = (2) = 2

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Zak

The combined attacks of the group are having some effect on the monster, but Zak wants to decisively end things so he can sit down with everyone else and figure out where in the heck they all ended up! "Let's take him down once and for all, Kunemon!". ~"An excellent idea, Izzzaac! I'm glad we're partners!"~ with that, the insect Digimon launches itself towards Ogremon, curling up in the air so that it's moving stinger first!

@Fewture: 1d6 Let's knock him out, Kunemon! = (1) = 1. 2 damage

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Zak

Now that Ogremon has been pacified, Zac lets go of the breath he didn't even realize he was holding. He digs his phone out of his pocket, and begins to snap photos of the Digimons' new forms, as well as a few shots of human/Digimon interaction. Yuki scritchin Liollmon is a personal favorite. As he goes about this, he asks Kunemon a question or two about the creatures he assumes he'll be traveling with for the foreseeable future...

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Zak and Kunemon

As the others head into the structure, Zak is sitting amongst a crowd of tiny Digimon, showing them how to build a house of cards with the deck he had in his bag. One of the babies sneezes a torrent of bubbles, and knocks the cards over, causing a wave of goggles in the crowd. Zak smiles and just starts setting up a new configuration. Kunemon scuttles over, managing to somehow convey annoyance even though it has no visible eyes. ~Zzzzak, what are you doing?! We need to go listen to Babamom and Jijimon~ it whispers in his ear. Zak turns and takes a good long look at his partner.

"I don't think they mind us taking a minute to catch our breath, and besides," he gestures at the babies around him, "before today, they had never even
seen a human before. Taking some time to show them that I'm not scary goes a long way. Every time I move to a new place or see something new, it's comforting to know that it's not dangerous, even though it's something I've never seen before." Zak locks up the scattered cards and drops them in his pocket, then adjusts the strap on his messenger bag. "I would never have tried sushi if it hadn't been for a chef who took time out of his day to answer any questions I had, and now, I love salmon roe almost as much as birthday cake! Now do you want to walk with me, or hitch a ride on my bag?"

~The bag, if you pleazze. Digivolution is a lot more tiring than I expected it to be~

@Fewture: 1d6 make friends with all the Baby digimon! = (3) = 3

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Zak and Kunemon

After Babamon's speech, Zak and Kunemon can be seen in a corner of the room, having a vigorous, but whispered argument.
Brief snatches can be heard by the others "...I don't care what she said, I'm worried about the babies!...". ~...I thought a legendary hero would be more respectful of his...~

At Teru's announcement about heading to the Village, Kunemon lets out a quiet ~Yessszzzz~. Zak gets up and starts stalking out the door. "Yuki, if you're concerned about walking by yourself, I can accompany you until we have to split up. Meanwhile, I'll be outside letting the little Digimon know what's going on. Feel free to join me when you're done celebrating, Kunemon."

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Zak and Kunemon

Zak is grateful he declined to bring the sweatshirt his mom had tried to get him to pack in the hotel, bc now he needd the room in his bag for Elecmon's mysterious gift. After making sure that the egg is secured, and that Kunemon is indeed following behind, he starts walking in the direction Babamon indicated. for the first quarter hour, the road is filled with silence, as Zak is lost in thought about what's ahead, and his partner is confused as to why winning an argument felt so bad for once. Arguments were made to be won! Zak clears his throat once he notices that he and Kunemon aren't alone. The goggle girl and her partner are a few paces behind, so he slows down a bit to let them catch up. He starts talking in Japanese to the girl with the lion.."So....Yuki, right? Now that things have...calmed down a bit....I thought we could actually...start getting to know each other...since we're..." he pauses for longer than usual, trying to find the right word. " stuck? in this situation together..."

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Zak

"uuummmmmm" Zak shrugs. "We moved to Japan because of my parents' jobs. I like it so far, but remembering all the ways to properly address people is hard." He exaggeratedly slumps his shoulders at the last bit. "I like taking pictures of all the places I see, and neat animals I come across, especially insects! I love the bright colors and different ways they adapt to the world around them." Kunemon perks up a bit, but continues to stay silent. "I think I'd like to work with animals when I grow up, but my Dad wants me to" he slips into English for this 'continue the Levesque family legacy' using air quotes. "And join the military. But it's not too bad, I still have time to change his mind, right?" He points ahead to Liollmon. "I think your partner found the trail split..."

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Zak and Kunemon

"I think so. I gotta say, I'm pretty excited to see some giant insect hives." Zak's phone is already in his hands. "Imagine the pictures!" He pauses for one moment on his part of the trail split. "Just...be careful, okay? All the rest of us at least have some idea of what we're going up against, while you're headed off to fight a big question mark. If anything happens, scream, shout, send Liollmon. Our partners may not be perfect, but their hearts are in the right place, I think. Good luck!" And with that the boy and the bug begin walking at a brisk pace.

15 Minutes Later

Zak steps off the side of the trail, and takes a few gulps from his water bottle, taking care to offer some to Kunemon. "You've been pretty quiet, buddy. Penny for your thoughts?" Kunemon manages to convey 'raised eyebrow of confusion' remarkably well for a creature with no eyes, but then lets out a sigh ~I feel...bad...that we fought earlier. And I'm not uzzed to feeling bad after winning an argument! But with you it's different!~ " Haha I know how you feel. I should have acted better myself, being a 'legendary hero' and all that. I just...react badly when I'm being told what to do with no other option. And the fact that we're supposed to be partners made me feel worse, I guess. So look, how about we make a deal?" ~I'm listening~ "let's try and make decisions together from now on, and I'll try to listen to what you say more often, if you can agree to let me go with my gut instinct every so often. Fair?" The bright yellow insect Digimon buzzes for a moment while thinking. ~ Fair~ Zak leans down and picks up his partner in his arms. "Now that we have that sorted out, let me carry you the rest of the way, since I have a feeling you'll need all your energy soon enough..." Zak keeps chattering away happily as he and his partner head towards the ominous looking mounds growing larger in their vision....

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Zak and Kunemon

~Get down!~ Kunemon is tugging at Zak's sleeve at this point. The boy takes a knee, but still has his phone out, recording the crashes and smashes as the angry Digimon continues to rampage. "Two more minutes, buddy? I have to get this recorded!" ~But...but..we're in danger!~ "We haven't been noticed yet, and it looks like Yanmamon is still focused on the hives. We need as much information as possible, so we can come up with a battle plan!" Zak actually grins and does a thumbs up. "As long as we put our heads together, we're unstoppable!"

Going with my Personality Bonus here: Is it a good idea to try and build a trap to capture/slow down Yanmamon?

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Zak and Kunemon

The boy and his partner Digimon are trying to figure out a plan of action while Yanmamon rampages. "What about like, a biiiig bug net?" ~With what materialz? There'z not a lot of rope just~ Kunemon's forelegs wave around vaguely ~laying around.~ The Digimon pauses for a moment, deep in thought. ~Yanmamon izzz avoding the trees though...maybe we can dizzzztract him enough to smack into one?~ Zak responds with a grin that would have gotten him preemptively grounded for a weekend back on Earth. "I know just what to do...if you just follow my lead"

Smash cut to

Zak and Kunemon are standing in front of the largest tree they could find. "On the count of 3, start yelling all the insults you can think of. I'll be using all the good swears I know, and those combined should get it's attention. When Yanmamon dives towards us, we jump away so it collides with the tree, and bada bing bada boom, we've saved the day!" ~Sounds like a plan *I'd* come up with, Zzzzzak!~ Kunemon is beaming.

On the count of three, Kunemon starts insulting every bit and byte of Yanmamon's anatomy and demeanor, and Zak lets loose with a torrent of curse words that shock even him, since he hadn't had the opportunity to practice his afrikaans much in Japan. Hopefully the flying Digimon heard all that...

SidekickBOTToday at 11:07 PM
@Gaijin and Kunemon: 1d6 cursing out Yanmamon to get its attention! = (3) = 3

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Failtown, population: Zak and Kunemon

Zak braces himself as the giant dragonfly digimon slows down and turns towards him. Okay, here comes the char...lightning!?!?!? He wasn't expecting that to happen! The sudden change in attacks makes Zak freeze up, and all he can do is stare at the incoming bolt. Kunemon tries to leap in front to protect the human, but in the sheer panic only manages to knock him over in a tangle of human and Digimon. At the very last second, Zak manages to shove Kunemon away so that there's no conducting of electricity between the two. When the bolt strikes, Zak whites out for a second from the pain. it's like a million static electricity zaps, at the exact same instant.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Zak and Kunemon

~Zzzzzak!!~ Kunemon is amazed that his partner took Yanmamon's attack like that, even after the fight they had earlier. As Zak lies on the ground groaning from the hit, the little yellow Digimon rears up and lets loose with a torrent of crackling threads...which unfortunately fly wide of their target

@Fewture: 1d6 Electro Thread = (6) = 6

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Kunemon and Zak

While his partner lays on his side still in pain from the shock he got, Kunemon scuttles in front of the human and rears up as much as he can, in a futile attempt to intimidate the rampaging Digimon.
~You better back off, if you know what's good for you! You *really* made me mad when you hurt my partner! He might make me so mad I want to spit web half the time, but even with that, he made sure that I was zzafe and zzzound as long as I've known him! I thought that a Digidestined was supposed to be this big noble zzuperhero, but Zzzak proved me wrong! And I'm glad he did! Now I get to learn and grow with him! And that'zzzzz the bezt adventure I could ever think of!~ Zak can faintly see what appear to be tears when Kunemon turns around to check on him. ~If you want to get to Zzak, you'll have to get through me first!~

Kunemon hears some soft clapping from behind at the end of the dramatic statement. Zak has somehow found a decent sized stick, and is using it to prop himself up. "That was a pretty awesome speech buddy, glad I wasn't totally unconscious for it." He begins slowly walking forward to stand beside his partner. "You showed me that this isn't all fun and games. That I have a reason to be here. I tried to play it off before, because it sounded a lot like what my dad is always telling me. But he tells me a lot of things too. 'Stand up for yourself' 'Always stay close with your true friends' 'Never back down from a challenge'" Zak hefts a rock in his hand, and points at Yanmamon. "And that's what I'm doing now, you nasty bully! You wrecked all these homes, and now I'm going to wreck you! Me and Kunemon, we're unstoppable!"

FewtureMD fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 14, 2018

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Zak and Kune...I mean Waspmon

Zak takes a moment to stop gaping at his partner's shiny new form, and finally manages to spit out some words. "oh my god! Waspmon, you're so cool! You can flyyyyyyy!" Waspmon replies, over the hum of its jets ~I was able to take this form becauzze of you, Zak. You are right, together we are unstoppable!~ "That's right buddy, you and I are a team forever!" Zak points at the hovering form of Yanmamon, who is looking on confused as one of its prey suddenly looks different. "Let's take care of this guy, and see what that new cannon-stinger of yours can really do!"

Imagine this song playing in the background: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoFbtgljt_4

~Gladly, partner!~ The lights on Waspmon's body start glowing, and energy is gathering around the massive cannon on the insect digimon's abdomen. ~Bear...Buzzzter...~ Zak punches the air. "Fire!" With that a huge beam shoots from the cannon, aimed right at Yanmamon!

SidekickBOTToday at 9:11 AM
@Gaijin and Kunemon: 1d6 Bear Buster = (2) = 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Zak and Waspmon

Zak shouts at Yanmamon. "You think some static is gonna hurt my cool awesome partner?! Think again!" He pumps a fist in the air again. "Show him how tough you are, Waspmon!" ~BZZZZ ACTIVATING DEFENSIVE POSITION~ The insectoid digimon curls up as small as possible while still being able to fly, and aims a blast of energy at the big dragonfly.

@Gaijin and Kunemon: 1d6 tank the hit! = (3) = 3

@Gaijin and Kunemon: 1d6 attack! = (3) = 3

FewtureMD fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 12, 2019