Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

The system La-Mulana is based on is the MSX! These days it's mostly known for being where the Metal Gear series started.

Something I find strange about Loki in this game is he's never called Loki in-game. He's consistently referred to as the Trickster, despite all other mythological characters using their actual names instead of titles.

Also this game is good and I first played La-Mulana because of your LP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

You didn't scan the Odin statues in Divine Fortress for important Aesir lore :saddowns:

I never bought weights from Bargain Duck, wish I had now. Speaking of shopkeeper animations, remember to show Nebur's easter egg before the end of the LP!

Is Carbunco (the corn monster) based on any "real" monster? I can't find anything about it, only Spanish medical articles.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Pigbuster posted:

https://abookofcreatures.com/2017/03/17/carbunclo/

This is spelled "Carbunclo" but it seems to have somewhat of a similarity. Its exact folkloric form seems to vary a lot, but the consistent aspects are that it gives off light in some way and either guards or guides to treasure. That said, the Carbunclo is actually just the South American version of the Carbuncle, AKA a mythological rodent with a gem in its head, AKA the Pikachu enemy in the first area. Technically comes from the same legend but became something fairly different. Could just be wrong, but it'd be funny if the Pikachu and the walking corn are related species.

"has a segmented body shaped like a small corn cob."
I... guess?

Seems weird to have both a "traditional" carbuncle and a weird corn offshoot since LM1 tended to go with mythologically accurate depictions for enemies (eg. Bahamut being a giant fish rather than D&D/FF giant dragon)

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Agent355 posted:

I don't know what you mean by Nebur's easter egg :ohdear:

Enter Nebur's shop 40 times across the course of the game. This gets an achievement, but also changes something in the background of her shop.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

:eng101: Annwfn is pronounced "annoon"! it's welsh

I took embarrassingly long to find Frey because I interpreted "Climb Kukulkan's forehead" to mean there was an invisible platform on the statue's forehead that I would need the double jump to reach, rather than a (in retrospect pretty visible) ladder on the statue's... sideburns?

You might have recorded these in advance, but there's an origin seal you forgot in Roots that unlocks something helpful for Annwfn.

I'm so used to LM1 requiring downwards weapons for short enemies like the Makara I never thought to crouch to whip them in this game. An educational LP for everyone!

In LM1 Mulbruk states that the 6th children were kind of aimless, possibly because they were made of clay, implying that the mudmen in Chamber of Birth were the 6th children; but in this game the glossary says Frey, Freya, the Aesir, the Vanir and the Lokapala are all 6th children. I guess you could explain this as Mulbruk having faulty knowledge, considering she didn't know about Eg-Lana until now either.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

The pro strat for Cetus is to hang out on the platform to the left and throw spears at him in safety.

Most of the skeletons in this game are Kickstarter backers, you can identify them with the Race Scanner. The Race Scanner also hints as to what the tablet you didn't understand was about. It's about the Yuga wheels, as it's an Anunnaki tablet like all the other Yuga tablets.

Killing time for Mulbruk's journey to Annwfn is optional, but I've never seen what happens if you send her to Annwfn before clearing the relevant puzzles, so I'm looking forward to seeing that.

The regular whip deals 2 damage, the rapier 3, the chain whip 4 and the katana an almighty 5.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Patch history facts: "Three-eyed waterfalls" was mistranslated as "Three-eyed dragons". Luckily the breakable walls are pretty obvious, but a lot of people wondered what that tablet was about. Inanna and Modgud seem to have swapped places since the game was released, not sure why.

The kraken room in Icefire Treetop was even worse for me because the large amount of bubbles made my laptop run slow as hell whenever I was there.

There's a glossary entry you missed in Icefire Treetop: Scan the left side of the hot spring

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

The lore clearly shows the Hall of Malice isn't inspired by HR Giger, it's HR Gigas :v:

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Dark (Star) Lord's Footprints is a cool puzzle, Aten-Ra is a cool boss, hunting for Ra as he eats gods isn't great but I found him in Horus' room when I wasn't expecting him and that was a good moment.

The Ra part of Aten-Ra resembles Nuwa from the first game. Important lore point or code/asset re-use? :thunk:

So Amen is the god in the room where the katana was, he was eaten by Ra off-screen I believe. Atum is the creation god. Aten is a sun god/giant weapon. Any more similarly-named Egyptian gods we can add to the list, this isn't nearly confusing enough.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Tribe recap:

1st Children, snake people
Anunnaki - Live in Ancient Chaos. The Sky People are also called Anunnaki.
Kotoamatsu - Live in Takamagahara Shrine. Don't like the Anunnaki.

2nd Children, giants
Titan - The only Titan we've met was Mnemosyne's ghost in Shrine of the Frost Giants, though Hades has mentioned a 2nd Child in the Underworld.

3rd Children, winged
Olympian - Live in Heaven's Labyrinth. They have angel wings. Sealed the Gigas in Hall of Malice. Built a computer called Typhon and created three clones of the Mother: Nuwa, Tiamat and Echidna. Nuwa and Tiamat were in the first game.
Gigas - Sealed in Hall of Malice by the Olympians. They have demon wings.

4th Children, gilled
who gives a poo poo, idiot fish people

5th Children
Ennead - Live in Gate of the Dead. Some have animal parts because of "chimerafication". Sealed the Amarna because of Ra's ambition.
Amarna - Live in Dark Star Lord's Mausoleum. Also big fans of chimerafication. Lead by Ra, who planned... something. I'm not sure what Ra's goal was after fusing with Aten, really.

6th Children, made from clay by the 5th Children
Lokapala - Live all over the ruins, but their main base is Immortal Battlefield. Plan to conquer Eg-Lana. Lead by Indra, who doesn't care about any of the deeper lore stuff and just wants power. A lot of minor NPCs seem to be Lokapala but don't show any particular interest in conquering Eg-Lana.
Alfr - Live in Annwfn. Frey, Freya and the fairies. The prophecy tablets were written by the Alfr. They wish to kill the Mother because the disapprove of her cycle of genocide.
Aesir - Live in Divine Fortress. Don't want the End to happen.
Vanir - Live in Valhalla. Want the End to happen.

7th Children
The villagers and philosophers are the 7th Children.

8th Children
That's us! The 7th Children created us without knowledge of the Mother so we could kill her.

Other
Muspell - Modgud, Neti and the dog guy from Icefire Treetop are listed as this in the Glossary. No tablets are written by the Muspell.
Sky People - Left messages in the Crystal Skulls. Rude as hell. Don't like the Mother. Come from the planet Nibiru. All chimeras are under the influence of the Sky People. Want to seal Eg-Lana and La-Mulana.
Various animals - Despite the dog guy being listed as a Muspell chimera, most other animal shopkeepers are just listed as being Bird/Amphibian/etc.
Underworld - Currently ruled by Hel, one of Loki's children. Ereshkigal, Hades and Osiris were former rulers. Yama of the Lokapala applied to be ruler but was rejected.

There's more to add to some of these, but I'm not sure which lore points have and haven't been shown in the LP so far.

Now we've seen Nebur's achievement, here's another one to show off later: Go to the Xelpud statue in the village and hit it in the head repeatedly. After something happens, visit Xelpud.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Agent355 posted:

Anybody remember what the hell is going on in this joke LP.

I'm only half serious but I have been rewatching the last 4-5 episodes trying to remember what I've done and what I need to do? Spoilered list of goals I think i still need to accomplish for end game, only hover over it if you've already beaten the game or don't give a poo poo or w/e. I'm not your mom.

Definitely have to beat the pit of malice bosses. All of them except the secret one are easy to find but I can't remember hwere the clue to find the secret one is so I don't know if I've already shown it off in a video yet. This will likely be the next video because I want that nemean lion skin and even if I can't find the hidden boss it's reasonable to come back and collect it later.

I need to kill vidofnir and all the bosses in takamahara shrine+ancient chaos to enable me to beat squirrelboy's true form and finish the underworld.

That'd be 9 bosses down which means finding the hidden pirate ship door and doing the last are and killing the not-mother? Am I missing some steps? It's been too long since I played

With the Talisman you can fight Belial and get the Power Band, which lets you get the La-Mulana 2 software and reveal hidden rooms. I don't think there's any other hints towards Anubis and Orthrus' locations otherwise. You haven't fought Anu or Surtr yet, unless it's in an episode you've recorded but not posted. To beat the game you need all dissonances (missing Nibiru, Sakit, Typhon and Hel). You'll need all 12 skulls, collecting them after doing the Brahma puzzle seems like it would make sense? I think you have access to all the relevant tablets now. Before not-mother you also need to align the corridor and fight Heimdall, I think that's everything?

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

There's another hint to the third Osiris puzzle in the room where the dog statue was in the underworld:
"The words of the trials are the words of the lords.
The three pillars of light are the lords of the riddles."

Could you show off the "correct" way to find Vidofnir? It's a good puzzle but it seems a lot of people skip it by reaching him from the underworld.

mortons stork posted:

So can you go to Surtr's guardian and rub it in her face after killing Surtr or does she no longer have anything to say after all the bluster?

She goes 'ah poo poo guess I'll die' then if you revisit her she's gone lmao get bent sinmara

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

The part of the puzzle I like is that it's mentioned that "Vidofnir lives at Yggdrasil's peak. At the treetop's highest point.", so is he at the top of Icefire Treetop? No, he's at the bottom because as Brahma shows, Yggdrasil in Eg-Lana is upside-down. You can also deduce this from the layout of Roots of Yggdrasil having the roots at the top, or I believe Mulbruk just tells you if she feels like it.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Since you're coming up on the end, if you haven't already recorded the video, can I request that you talk to Freya until she runs out of things to say? She has more lore for you.

Jade Star posted:

There was an item to make you immune to bats, and you left it till near the end? What the hell? Seeing how much you run into bats during the LP I would have thought that would be the first thing you rush for.

Agent knows what the people want, and who is he to deny us the joy of watching him run into bats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Since the game is over, I can finally post these:

https://imgur.com/a/FFUf8nz