Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Does the next team have a science mech? I'm interested to see how they play, given the weapons we saw for purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

...and then he eats the body, but they always cut out the spoon scene.

"R.S.T. weather manipulators allow these Mechs to take advantage of smoke storms everywhere."

#1 - Rusting Hulks, Let's Go!

A_Raving_Loon guests with me for this team's run. The Rusting Hulks are one of my weakest to play as, and they are very different from the team I just did! His advice, and a second set of eyes, will be helpful.

unpronounceable posted:

Does the next team have a science mech? I'm interested to see how they play, given the weapons we saw for purchase.

It has a science Mech designed for shoving stuff around. It doesn't have a prime Mech.

Smite fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 12, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
"that right there is why i have the end turn warning on forever. i'll never turn it off."

good man.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Rusting Hulks were the first team I won the game as! And you're getting showered in smoke weapons, hot drat.

I always felt like the storm generator should start on the jet mech instead of the rocket mech, though. The jet mech is really weak in custom/random teams without it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Smoke em if you've got em.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Rusting Hulks really requires remembering how powerful your smoke clouds are and filling the field as much as possible. Also I've never seen it confirmed, but I've heard the game fudges the numbers behind the scene based on your available options. So having the smoke bomb means the game will now start throwing Vek in such a way that you'll need to use it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Onmi posted:

Rusting Hulks really requires remembering how powerful your smoke clouds are and filling the field as much as possible. Also I've never seen it confirmed, but I've heard the game fudges the numbers behind the scene based on your available options. So having the smoke bomb means the game will now start throwing Vek in such a way that you'll need to use it.

That sounds like confirmation bias. People aren't gonna notice the nail setups until they have a hammer.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Onmi posted:

I don't think that's true. Hard to prove. Here's two rules that seem to be true:

1) Blocking spawns doesn't stop the Vek from spawning; it only delays it. It will try and try again to emerge, until the last turn where it gives up and leaves.

2) Spawns are based on how many enemies are alive, with a cap of like, 6. If you kill a buttload of them, more spawns will appear to try and recover the losses in a turn. This is more in line with why you might think weapons cause you new levels of mayhem, because wholesale slaughter of Vek would cause more of them to appear.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

If you have a spawn blocked from first to last turn (shenanigans with a certain pilot, for example), does it actually reduce the amount of enemies you have to deal with in the long run of the mission? In other words do spawning enemies count against that cap?

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Jealous of all those smoke weapons you're drowning in what the hell

Smite posted:

2) Spawns are based on how many enemies are alive, with a cap of like, 6. If you kill a buttload of them, more spawns will appear to try and recover the losses in a turn. This is more in line with why you might think weapons cause you new levels of mayhem, because wholesale slaughter of Vek would cause more of them to appear.

Yeah, Rusting Hulks have to delay until they can boost their damage and start tossing thunderbolts like Zeus.

Some the factions we'll see later can use the spawn cap to their advantage.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

If you have a spawn blocked from first to last turn (shenanigans with a certain pilot, for example), does it actually reduce the amount of enemies you have to deal with in the long run of the mission? In other words do spawning enemies count against that cap?

Pretty sure it does count new spawns towards the maximum allowed enemies at once. I want to say that blocking the spawn with a corpse of a Mech is a guaranteed -1 Vek off the total to deal with on the map.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I like using Abe for the Brute Mech on the next squad, honestly. Perhaps you'll keep him again and use him there for the 'Too Old For This' achievement?

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 13, 2018

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
drat dude why would you set out on a Rusting Hulks run without unlocking Camila first

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

#2 - Electric Smoke

Crane Fist posted:

drat dude why would you set out on a Rusting Hulks run without unlocking Camila first

I wanted to get the first three or four squads done immediately, and then open up a vote for the order after that. Rusting Hulks were next on my list. They're powerful enough without her, but it sure helps to have her on the jet. I wish Camila was the pilot I were taking on 3 journeys; she's my go-to pilot.

BenRGamer posted:

I like using Abe for the Brute Mech on the next squad, honestly. Perhaps you'll keep him again and use him there for the 'Too Old For This' achievement?

That's the plan. And then I will avoid picking repeat pilots and ditch the starting exp bonus.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The psionic receiver works on the final island by making it so that every unit on the field takes one damage a turn.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Boy howdy, the line between "victory" and "well-executed victory" is gonna get really blurry in this LP based on how things just went!!

I'm going to be playing the beam team next but I will open a poll soon for the 4th squad, out of the remaining ones. We have the means to unlock any of them.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Smite posted:

The Rusting Hulks are one of my weakest to play as, and they are very different from the team I just did!
That's interesting, because I remember the general consensus from the Games thread being that they were one of the strongest if not the strongest team. Even one of their achievements, "Overpowered", seems like a nod towards that. They do take a bit to get going though, the jet is really unwieldy until you get the range upgrade.

Loving how much smoke you're making with them at the moment, surprised that the 12 smoke damage hasn't triggered yet with all of it.

quote:

Boy howdy, the line between "victory" and "well-executed victory" is gonna get really blurry in this LP based on how things just went!!

:munch:

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Eh, honestly, if you hadn't had already found those smoke bombs the ramming engines for the jet wouldn't have been a bad idea--an attack for when positioning is an issue on the jet on the kind of cumbersome main attack, and Abe's ability blocks the self damage.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

For the "don't kill anything" mission, couldn't you have unequipped the passive doohickey that causes smoke to do damage?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Smite posted:

I'm going to be playing the beam team next but I will open a poll soon for the 4th squad, out of the remaining ones. We have the means to unlock any of them.

This game is interesting because when a team's rolling well it can feel like EZMode and boring, but the moment something goes wrong it tends to all start snowballing.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i have ragequit so many games because i've been owning the crap out of some fool-rear end aliens for 3 islands and then the last one just goes so loving wrong so loving hard

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Coolguye posted:

i have ragequit so many games because i've been owning the crap out of some fool-rear end aliens for 3 islands and then the last one just goes so loving wrong so loving hard

All because one bug stood in the worst possible spot.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Bruceski posted:

This game is interesting because when a team's rolling well it can feel like EZMode and boring, but the moment something goes wrong it tends to all start snowballing.

Interesting! I haven't played ITB but I get the feeling that the devs are trying to instigate similar "poo poo poo poo poo poo we took a beating but we're still going, patch it up as best as you can and carry on" situations as usually happen to me in FTL.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I just noticed that when his portrait lights up with the warning lights for low health, Abe's eyes turn red.

I'd never actually seen this game in motion before and I think from what I've seen so far I want to pick it up. A strat game that actually goes all in on and designs around being a set of strategic puzzles looks really interesting in play.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

#3 - Field Control

MechaCrash posted:

For the "don't kill anything" mission, couldn't you have unequipped the passive doohickey that causes smoke to do damage?

Sure, could rotate stuff around and have done it. I didn't think about it until later on. This is the solution for having to do that mission with this team. It would become an easier one, because you can drop those extra points on direct damage to kill the other enemies while locking up the jerk.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
You're really showing off the real strength of teams like the Rusting Hulks; the more area control like smoke you poo poo out, the less options the Vek have on their turn and so the easier it is to corral them safely.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It helps that they have so many tools for pumping out smoke! You're going to just steamroll the desert island, aren't you? Smoke appears there naturally.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

less than you'd think. 95% of the smoke that shows up there is still gonna be from the Hulks.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Coolguye posted:

less than you'd think. 95% of the smoke that shows up there is still gonna be from the Hulks.

Yeah, since most of the ways to damage the ground would produce smoke anyway. Currently the only new ways to produce smoke would be a hit from the rocket mech or an enemy attack.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Been interested in this game for a while, and loving your LP so far. Great strategic insight into how to plan turns.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

watching you repeatedly pass over the pulse bot's shield self upgrade is weirding me out. in my book that's one of the best price:effect upgrades in the entire game

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Prav posted:

watching you repeatedly pass over the pulse bot's shield self upgrade is weirding me out. in my book that's one of the best price:effect upgrades in the entire game

"The pulse bot's only taking damage from blocking burrows" guess what self-shield protects from?

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

#4 - Rusting Hulks, the Final Showdown!

Prav posted:

Sure it is an effective tanking skill, but everything is situational and that orb has definitely been better off elsewhere in my opinion because we just haven't needed that tanking stuff here. As we are now, with 5 health and no damage taken ever with Henry who can walk through enemies, I can smoke or shove and still block four spawns and be okay.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

:stare: That ended up being quite the steamroller.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

hotboxing the vek to death :420:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
With that setup you could have made the final battle go on forever with no risk of actually losing as you could just blanket the entire field in smoke.

Paul.Power posted:

:stare: That ended up being quite the steamroller.

It could have been even more of a steamroller if Smite had gotten the pilot that works the best with them. A couple teams are very much defined by having the right pilot to ignore the downsides that come with playing to the teams strengths.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

Great LP! Diggers are usually such a pain to deal with. I was happy to see them constantly getting chumped on that run.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I'm interested in seeing the pilot that would have worked well with this team, seeing how amazing you did without them.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

With that setup you could have made the final battle go on forever with no risk of actually losing as you could just blanket the entire field in smoke.

It could have been even more of a steamroller if Smite had gotten the pilot that works the best with them. A couple teams are very much defined by having the right pilot to ignore the downsides that come with playing to the teams strengths.

I'm kind of glad that the pilot never showed up, and Smight got to show how the team can get by just fine without them.

Getting the ability to poo poo out a million extra squares of smoke right from the get-go helps a lot, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Weirdly relaxing LP for something based around the apocalypse.

You're also much faster with this team than the previous one; I'm curious to see if that remains the case with the next one, since this team seems almost overpowered at the end.