Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
If you have more than one living pilot after your first island you're not whipping hard enough IMO

Onmi posted:

I just did the 30-minute achievement on easy.

Yeah I wound up doing that, it was a lot less unfun than trying to take 30 second turns on Hard but still the worst achievement to get by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robotic Folksinger
Jun 27, 2008

I guess a robot would have to be crazy to wanna be a folksinger
Bought this game due to the LP and holy poo poo is it kicking my rear end. Everything goes well until the last/second to last island and then things go to poo poo.

Although I must say, you do feel pretty cool when you manage to pull off a clever manuever that kills like rour vek in a turn.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Robotic Folksinger posted:

Bought this game due to the LP and holy poo poo is it kicking my rear end. Everything goes well until the last/second to last island and then things go to poo poo.

Although I must say, you do feel pretty cool when you manage to pull off a clever manuever that kills like rour vek in a turn.
Of note, four-island runs are tricky and I wouldn't try one until you're familiar with the game and how a few different squads work. The fourth island of a four-island run is generally harder than the final island of a three-island run.

(The upside of four-island runs is a chance at a higher score, same as hard mode).

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 25, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the way the game forces you to unlock islands sequentially also sets you up for failure a lot more than is obvious right away. when you can do all 4 islands in any order, you can see right there if there's a really painful bug or psion there and put it off until later (if at all). but if it's your first couple of games and you hard luck into having the armor psion on your first or second island well then GET hosed bitch you are sucking it down.

(ask me why i'm sore about this)

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

...and then he eats the body, but they always cut out the spoon scene.

#4 - Zenith Guard, the Final Showdown!

Smite fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 25, 2018

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That was kinda tense. Not bad.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Just a quick pointer, you called them the Rusting Hulks in your post.

And yeah, that one went down to the wire. Still, it's good to see you pull off the win despite that and yeah, it's definitely hard to avoid grid damage on that final island - sometimes all you can do is minimise it and hope it's enough.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Paul.Power posted:

Just a quick pointer, you called them the Rusting Hulks in your post.

And yeah, that one went down to the wire. Still, it's good to see you pull off the win despite that and yeah, it's definitely hard to avoid grid damage on that final island - sometimes all you can do is minimise it and hope it's enough.

That's what I get for updating so early in the morning.

Steel Judoka is next. 4-island run coming up. Should be an interesting one!

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
I'm definitely no ItB expert, but it definitely drives me half-crazy to see you ignore the Attack Order most of the time. Knowing which enemies can be tricked into killing each other informs a huge part of how I play the game.

EDIT:v Oh hey, neat, I never noticed that. I proooobably should have.

WFGuy fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Aug 26, 2018

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

WFGuy posted:

I'm definitely no ItB expert, but it definitely drives me half-crazy to see you ignore the Attack Order most of the time. Knowing which enemies can be tricked into killing each other informs a huge part of how I play the game.

I ignore it sometimes out of sheer forgetfulness of all of my options. The Steel Judoka is entirely built around using that information and not constantly being aware of it will be a death sentence on that team. I learned how to play through this game rather quickly [recklessly] and one of the things you pick up on while doing that is the attack order isn't random. Boss always goes first, bombs are last, and all the enemies in between go by when they arrived on the field, in the same order they presented their moves in. You could get a great idea of the attack order without even checking, but I tend to gloss over it a lot.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I finally got all the achievements :toot: Bit sad I'm done with the unlocks but there's always completion medals to shoot for. Spoilers for the secret thing

The secret squad is pretty underwhelming, Rift Walkers but somehow slightly worse IMO. +1 tile on the artillery was neat but I think I'd prefer building immune, chargebot is sort-of-better punchbot, less power for 1 less damage and inherent charge edges it out, and the flier's excellent with a couple orbs. I'd say they're slightly better on strength of the hornet, but being off-class for every non-starter bit of equipment drags them down. Not being able to make use of free stuff sucks, and hornet aside their base kit just isn't interesting or versatile enough for me not to want to branch out a bit.

I used the +1 damage on bonks and spawn blocks for vek for the first time though, even at 2 power that thing's pretty great.

Game good, LP good

e: oh yeah I wanted to say - a neat trick for the bomb fight is if you can block a spawn at the end of turn one, tentacles will target the mech there on the next turn and take the spawn with it. Not always possible, but I try to pull it off when I can.

Gitro fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 27, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i've noticed that hard mode 3 island victories tend to go like that. on hard mode, by the end of island 3 every enemy that spawns is an alpha anyway, but your mechs are a lot less developed than they would be if you had just gone whole hog on the 4 island victory. this LP's made me go back to play a lot of the routes i never finished before and i've lost two hard 3 island runs with the rift walkers on the literal last turn of the game, to one attack i couldn't stop, because i'm lacking the extra HP, movement, etc to really cruise the whole map and really respond to lots of alphas, but every enemy that spawns is a goddamn alpha.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 27, 2018

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

These Mechs specialize in positional manipulation to turn the Vek against each other.

#1 - Enter the Steel Judoka

Here they come!

Smite fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 28, 2018

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Smite posted:

These Mechs specialize in positional manipulation to turn the Vek against each other.

#1 - Enter Steel Judoka

Here they come!

You accidentally linked the first Zenith Guard video by mistake.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

VolticSurge posted:

Nnnh... localized breaches make my head hurt.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

I've been seriously underestimating Harold's ability. And its a perfect fit for the Steel Judoka style.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

VolticSurge posted:

piss.

#1 - Enter the Steel Judoka

For real this time!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Doobie Keebler posted:

I've been seriously underestimating Harold's ability. And its a perfect fit for the Steel Judoka style.

Some are definitely stronger than others, but every pilot and every mech has their niche. It's pretty impressive.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Man the fact that you can't judo throw something into another is really disappointing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Judo Bot kind of sucks, doesn't he?

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Man, watching this really makes me not want to play Judoka like ever.

Very entertaining to watch though!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Night10194 posted:

If you get it Henry or Camilla, it's a very good mech but you really want to get him a secondary weapon ASAP that's just straightforward

Onmi fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Aug 28, 2018

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Night10194 posted:

Armour and 4 move by default are very nice at least. Getting him another prime weapon to complement or even replace the Vice Fist is definitely something to think about, though.

e: One of the problems the Judoka have is that other squads do the positional thing better than they do - off the top of my head, the Rift Walkers* and the Flame Behemoths** have great positional options. The Vek Hormones passive is a nice thing to have though, especially on Hard, and when they work well (as we see a couple of times in the video), they're very satisfying to watch.

* the Artillery Mech might not put out as much overall damage as the Cluster Mech, but it's a lot easier to control when you have just the one tile of collateral damage to think about rather than four.

** We'll see. We'll ALL see.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Aug 28, 2018

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Night10194 posted:

Judo Bot is my personal enemy, I hate his terrible weapon and wish upon him a lake of rats

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Like every time I saw Judo Bot on screen I was thinking that the Rift Walkers' prime would be more useful than him, even for push stuff, because the Rift Walker Prime (whose name I forget, sorry, it's kinda generic) can at least push stuff into stuff. If Judo-Bot could, say, throw a guy into a guy to push both of them he'd rule.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Judo's main issue is he's a Support Mech in the skin of a Prime.when you consider Combat or REX you think of them as the main combative units

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What sucks about judo mech is that there is a much better prime weapon that fits in with what this team is supposed to be about.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

What sucks about judo mech is that there is a much better prime weapon that fits in with what this team is supposed to be about.

the spartan shield is loving hysterically good though

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

What judobot lacks in effectiveness it makes up for in coolness.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Judo throwing a giant insect SHOULD be a mechanically superior option, though. On virtue of being loving awesome.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The thing about Vice Grip is that it's one of only three abilities in the game that moves Veks by more than one tile. The others being the grapple cannon, and the swap mech. Compared to those two the judo mech has both upsides and downsides.

It's pretty flat out better than the grapple mech mainly because the grapple ability typically requires a lot of movement to be useful and the mech starts with a measly 3 speed. Vs the swap mech, it lacks the range the swap mech does, but (a) does damage, and (b) does damage on the *target tile*. (b) is important because it means that on forest tiles it sets enemies on fire, on sand tiles it cancels the enemy attack, on acid tiles it does double damage and on cracked ice it insta-kills.

In that context it's not that bad. Also like I said, the mech has good upgrade potential.

The Judokas are a rough team because you need to basically look carefully at maps and see how to use them, and things can turn against you quickly, but I enjoy playing them a lot.

EDIT: For example, at 34:32 minutes in, Judo throw the Firefly into E4, then artillery strike E5 to drown the Firefly and push the alpha safely away.

If I'm running Judoka I'd usually put Harold in the pull-mech, so it can push as well as pull, and so that it has a way of doing damage.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 28, 2018

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
If anyone wants the game on the go, it was just released on the Switch.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I've been experimenting with "all Science mechs" teams lately, and Gravity mech is a pretty key part of any such composition. That vek hormone does real work when you don't have a direct source of damage.

If I were you here I'd be moving Harold to the gravity mech and putting the new weapon on the judo mech, since it means you now have two 4-damage weapons.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

#2 - In the Sand

had a weird goof in this update that we couldn't figure out as anything other than a hiccup on the game's part, thinking a corpse is there that wasn't.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I suppose the thing I'm really not seeing with Judo Bot is how what he does is specifically any better for Judoka's stated goal of getting Vek to kill Vek. The Vek Hormones seem more key to that than Judo Bot, since they're what make the Vek take more damage from attacking each other while much of the time any simple push can do Judo Bot's thing.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Night10194 posted:

I suppose the thing I'm really not seeing with Judo Bot is how what he does is specifically any better for Judoka's stated goal of getting Vek to kill Vek. The Vek Hormones seem more key to that than Judo Bot, since they're what make the Vek take more damage from attacking each other while much of the time any simple push can do Judo Bot's thing.

I find when I play the Judoka that the hormones aren't really as important as one might assume, and more important is keeping their numbers down by pitting them or dropping them on top of spawn points. In any case, Judo mech's moving two tiles ability adds a lot of options to you. You are basically looking at 33% more enemy tiles moved each turn.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Glad my suggestion to use the cheap item to bank a star paid off so quickly. :D

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I just wanted to see some sweet suplexing a bug onto another bug action. Stupid Judo Bot :saddowns:

Even if it was just an upgrade (replace the ally-safe suplex) they could have at least let you push the previous Vek controlling the space after slamming another one into it's face but nooooooooo

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 30, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

my only guess as to why it doesn’t do exactly that is that it would necessarily mean that any Vek that was attacking judo bot would be attacking its friend after being thrown - that would make the throw insanely goddamn good because you would be trivially capable of causing red-on-red fire with it equipped.

e: not that I find this a GOOD excuse, it’s just the only halfway reasonable one I can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Coolguye posted:

my only guess as to why it doesn’t do exactly that is that it would necessarily mean that any Vek that was attacking judo bot would be attacking its friend after being thrown - that would make the throw insanely goddamn good because you would be trivially capable of causing red-on-red fire with it equipped.

e: not that I find this a GOOD excuse, it’s just the only halfway reasonable one I can think of.

The actual reason is that the game was designed around "all information is available at all times" and it being simple to understand. So they cut out or back on a lot of things that had a vague nature.

So the Judo toss doesn't hit enemies because then the question becomes "Where do they go?" If they aren't moved, that fundamentally changes the nature of the weapon, if it pushes them to a tile opposite of the unit, what determines which tile, or what if that tile is occupied, and the more questions you have to ask, the less clear the information is and... yeah.

Into the Breach was intentionally designed to have a small informational entropy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNFURLFsd2E