Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

So uh... this happened last week:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45xF1C76I88

https://www.pga.com/events/pgachampionship/

If it seems like the British Open ended just 2 weeks ago, that's because it did, but here we are, the last shot at glory's last shot--starting next year, the PGA Championship will move to May in the slot currently occupied by The Player's Championship which will move back to March. As for the course, I thought it was a new major venue but apparently it held the U.S. Open in 1965 and the PGA Championship in 1992.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t00RPOZmn4

Air Times (ET)
Thu/Fri: TNT 2 - 8 p.m.
Sat/Sun: TNT 11 a.m. - 2 p.m., CBS 2 - 7 p.m.

Marquee Tee Times (Thu/Fri ET)
8:39 a.m. / 2:04 p.m. -- Rickie Fowler, Hideki Matsuyama, Ian Poulter
9:01 a.m. / 2:26 p.m. -- Phil Mickelson, Jason Day, Keegan Bradley
9:23 a.m. / 2:48 p.m. -- Justin Thomas, Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy
1:53 p.m. / 8:28 a.m. -- Dustin Johnson, Bubba Watson, Adam Scott
2:15 p.m. / 8:50 a.m. -- Patrick Reed, Brooks Koepka, Francesco Molinari
2:37 p.m. / 9:12 a.m. -- Jordan Spieth, Jon Rahm, Justin Rose

Betting Favorites (Ladbrokes as of 4am ET Monday)
Dustin Johnson 8/1
Rory McIlroy 10/1
Jordan Spieth 14/1
Justin Thomas 14/1
Brooks Koepka 20/1
Justin Rose 20/1
Rickie Fowler 20/1
Tiger Woods 20/1
Francesco Molinari 25/1
Jason Day 25/1
Jon Rahm 25/1
Tommy Fleetwood 25/1

Betting Pool
Pick an available player who isn't one of the listed top 10 betting favorites. Best finisher gets a dozen balls or from everyone else.
Josh Lyman: Tony Finau
mattfl: Matt Kuchar
Kameh: Sergio Garcia
Shrapnig: Zach Johnson
torgeaux: Patrick Reed
DJExile: Louis Oosthuizen
Keyser_Soze: Xander Schauffele
Boco_T: Bubba Watson
Shapur: Kevin Kisner
sportsgenius86: Webb Simpson

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

You know what, lets mix things up a bit this week.

Put me down for Matt "Mr. consistent, out here grinding top 10s all week long" Kuchar.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
I'll take Mickelson, then.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I hate his face but Zach Johnson has been annoyingly consistent in big tournaments this year.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
gently caress. Patrick Reed.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'll take Oost

E: drat torgeaux that was a fast ninja edit

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Xander Schauffele

Are they going to demolish this course? Like -25 or something? If so, someone like Ted Potter Jr. will win, lol.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mattfl posted:

You know what, lets mix things up a bit this week.

Put me down for Matt "Mr. consistent, out here grinding top 10s all week long" Kuchar.
Kuch was the other player I was thinking of picking. I'm gonna be so pissed if you win with him. :colbert:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

DJExile posted:

I'll take Oost

E: drat torgeaux that was a fast ninja edit

Well what was the edit?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

Well what was the edit?

he wanted Rickie before he remembered the rules

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

DJExile posted:

he wanted Rickie before he remembered the rules

That's who I wanted to take too. I'm not sure who the makes the odds for these tournaments but recent form doesn't appear to be a factor.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Rickie has made a roller coaster of a putt over a subtle buried elephant like 40 times every weekend, he's in form dudes

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I'm picking Bubba Watson because I want to try and win this time and he's 4th on the cup yet somehow not in the top 10 of odds

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Boco_T posted:

I'm picking Bubba Watson because I want to try and win this time and he's 4th on the cup yet somehow not in the top 10 of odds

Bubba in majors is basically the perfect definition of "wild card". He's either going to flame out and miss the cut, or finish like top 10. Nothing in between.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Shrapnig posted:

That's who I wanted to take too. I'm not sure who the makes the odds for these tournaments but recent form doesn't appear to be a factor.

See: Jordan Spieth with the same odds as Justin Thomas lol

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

as I said before, my dad and I have Saturday tickets and have been fully hype for going on a few weeks now. galleries are gonna be huge and scores are gonna be low, because of massive green complexes that are dry.

(and no, I can't give local knowledge of Bellerive, as let's just say I went to the wrong high school to play there.)

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I went in 2016 at Baltusrol and galleries were small because of rain and it was fascinating to watch.

We had the bonus of going on Sunday when most of the field had to finish their Saturday rounds early that day so I got to watch Justin Rose hit an approach and putt out from about 10 feet away, it was surreal. There were literally ten people watching Justin Rose play a hole of golf in a major championship. Russell Knox almost hit me with a drive while he was playing with Bubba who also hit it in the poo poo and then hit the most impressive golf shot I've ever seen. Bubba was 20 yards left of the fairway and carved one out of a muddy lie that managed to hit the front right of the green where he two putted for par.

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

I'm going with Tommy Fleetwood.

This will be the first professional golf tournament I've ever attended and I am incredibly pumped.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

You're not going with Fleetwood if you're in our incredibly lucrative betting scheme.

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

Shrapnig posted:

You're not going with Fleetwood if you're in our incredibly lucrative betting scheme.

I didn't read the OP, hand up. Give me Kisner.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Josh Lyman, can I switch to Sergio?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh posted:

Josh Lyman, can I switch to Sergio?
You are switched. Something put you off about Phil?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I’ll take Webb Simpson

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Josh Lyman posted:

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

Not that Sergio is on fire rn, but the greens are small and slow.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Kameh posted:

Not that Sergio is on fire rn, but the greens are small and slow.

So is your brain for picking him!

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Shrapnig posted:

So is your brain for picking him!

:downs:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

If Sergio wins the tournament, not just the pool, I'll send you double the money.

:toxx:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Troy Queef posted:

as I said before, my dad and I have Saturday tickets and have been fully hype for going on a few weeks now. galleries are gonna be huge and scores are gonna be low, because of massive green complexes that are dry.

(and no, I can't give local knowledge of Bellerive, as let's just say I went to the wrong high school to play there.)

Hey man, are you still gonna be able to pick me up a logo ball? I can shoot you some paypal money now if you want for it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:siren: Justin Thomas, Rory McIlroy, Tiger Woods now streaming!!! :woop: https://www.pga.com/events/pgachampionship/enhanced-mediaplayer/1 :siren:

Keegan Bradley, Jason Day, and Phil Mickelson too

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Oh Tiger, get your poo poo together

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The four players I was contemplating picking were Finau, Kuchar, Mickelson, and Stenson.

Naturally the one I did pick would be +4 thru 6 :suicide:

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

mattfl posted:

Hey man, are you still gonna be able to pick me up a logo ball? I can shoot you some paypal money now if you want for it.

yeah, I'll get it on Sat. send me the shipping address to kevinjgier at gmail dot com (it's also my Paypal link).

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mattfl posted:

Oh Tiger, get your poo poo together

He's having an interesting round that's for sure.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Troy Queef posted:

yeah, I'll get it on Sat. send me the shipping address to kevinjgier at gmail dot com (it's also my Paypal link).

Email incoming :)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

He's having an interesting round that's for sure.

I had to actually work for a bit and couldn't watch, looks like he's mostly gotten his poo poo together lol

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

mattfl posted:

Email incoming :)

Got it.

e: I assume you saw John Daly's blazer from the past champions dinner?
https://twitter.com/PGA_JohnDaly/status/1027014834263605248

He's wearing pants with that pattern today, and is level par.

Troy Queef fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 9, 2018

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
RIP to DJExile.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Steph Curry shot +1 at a web.com event today. He's well off the pace but by no means anywhere near last place. He won't sniff the cut if he shoots the same number tomorrow but I can't argue with shooting 71 in tournament conditions.

Dude can golf a ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

loving Finau

• Locked thread