Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

When all the ice melts will Greenland be habitable?

From what I understand most of Greenland is buried under a giant melting glacier. This is bound to reveal land when it melts all the way.

But what qualities will this land have. It could be arable. Or it could desertify. I’m both unfamiliar with the weather patterns around Greenland and with the soil properties of melted permafrost. Of course given that climate change is already changing the jet stream in major ways there is no guarantee that current weather patterns over Greenland will prevail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
yeah but the prime real estate will be in Canada and Antarctica

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

Ein cooler Typ posted:

That map is looking real dismal to me

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

PTSDeedly Do posted:

That map is looking real dismal to me

You'll (all of us) be dead long before it's a reality.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Looks like western Antarctica will be where I move.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Glaciers strip off all the top soil so you’re left with sheer rock for a couple hundred thousand years.

Rock yields to mosses which yield to lichens which yield to small non woody plants which yield to woody shrubs and so forth until you’ve accumulated enough organic matter. Then humans arrive and gently caress it all up with logging and grazing and you’re back to iceland.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

hopefully we stem the migration of the poors with bombs

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

by "we" i mean the remnants of western civilization, not any particular race or nationality.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I'll be living in a cloud city on Venus by that time. :smug:

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream

Pawn 17 posted:

I'll be living in a cloud city on Venus by that time. :smug:

New Beijing?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

cowofwar posted:

Glaciers strip off all the top soil so you’re left with sheer rock for a couple hundred thousand years.

Rock yields to mosses which yield to lichens which yield to small non woody plants which yield to woody shrubs and so forth until you’ve accumulated enough organic matter. Then humans arrive and gently caress it all up with logging and grazing and you’re back to iceland.

So land will be cheap to buy you’re saying?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

cowofwar posted:

They all said I was dumb as gently caress for hoarding piles of dirt but now they'll crawl to me and ask for some dirt and I'll whisper "okay" because I don't want to cause a scene.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

Cant we just send our poo poo to Greenland so they can turn it into soil? Worked for that guy stuck on Mars.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Guess i'll have to be a real German once our swamp floods.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

luchajones posted:

Cant we just send our poo poo to Greenland so they can turn it into soil? Worked for that guy stuck on Mars.

Hell of an idea! You may just be the one to save humanity.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Calling a frozen block of ice 'Greenland' has to be the most blatant piece of false advertising in history.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Say Nothing posted:

Calling a frozen block of ice 'Greenland' has to be the most blatant piece of false advertising in history.

It literally was false advertising. Eric the Red went there and wanted to draw more settlers to it and knew calling it "Holy loving poo poo it's an ice planet" wasn't going to get a lot of takers

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I want to soak in a lava pond.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
be the first to have sex with the virgin ground

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The map doesn't show mounds of skeletons in all the deserts heh

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

be the first to have sex with the virgin ground

Zeluth posted:

I want to soak in a lava pond.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Maybe instead of living on land like plebs we shall construct great underwater cities in the acid seas full of medusas and plastic. Be like gungans from that amazing award winning scifi film "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace". Just a thought!

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
gently caress all of you Elon haters. I'm going to Mars and mine water.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Climate change is, for lack of a better word, good?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
FYI most of Canada's tundra is going to just be a useless bog when it thaws. If it's suitable cropland it's already being farmed. Global warming might make the growing season longer but it's going to be offset by giant forest fires and massive summer droughts.

Basically there's no upside to global warming. We're all going to die. If you had children they're most likely going to come of age in a world much more horrible than the one we have now. RIP this dumb gay earth.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
yeah the sahara is gonna green up real nice. its just not hot enough yet. way to go scientists

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I prefer the term "global worming".

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Well, at least the produce in Alaska will be fresher now that we can grow stuff outside the Matanuska Valley.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I lost a contact lens when hiking in Greenland so when the snow melts nobody's gonna loving set foot on that island before I find it.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
I'm the guy who who maintains all those solar panels that cover all that unlivable desert hellscape.

Or maybe I'm the robot who maintains them, and in that case I unplug the extension cord that takes it to the useless parasite humans.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
I can't wait to live in an Antarctic labor camp!

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

Foreskin Problems posted:

I can't wait to live in an Antarctic labor camp!

I would rather wait as long as possible, but, oh, well!

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

I'm the guy who who maintains all those solar panels that cover all that unlivable desert hellscape.

Or maybe I'm the robot who maintains them, and in that case I unplug the extension cord that takes it to the useless parasite humans.

if you have enough solar panels you can power enough air conditioning to make it comfy

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PyPy posted:

You'll (all of us) be dead long before it's a reality.

so ten years from now?

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Well, at least the produce in Alaska will be fresher now that we can grow stuff outside the Matanuska Valley.

hopesully alaska will maintain its title as rape capitol of america

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Greenland is getting strip mined the second those glaciers are off

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Neutrino posted:

gently caress all of you Elon haters. I'm going to Mars and mine water.

Lol only ultra rich billionaires will get anywhere near private spacecraft

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I know its the hip thing to think the devoses/princes will rule the wastelands but it will probably be some seven mountains true believer instead

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

I know its the hip thing to think the devoses/princes will rule the wastelands but it will probably be some seven mountains true believer instead

im going to kick box everyone until their faces are concave.then ill rule the sierra nevada & its satrapies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Ill pray you be a onepunchman and not an enkidu

• Locked thread