Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«10 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.


Honeydew
Cool +3 | Hard=0 | Hot +2 | Sharp+1 | Wierd=0
Harm 9:00 | Infection 6:00 | XP 2/5 | Armor 1 | Barter 3


A hundred nagging questions ran through my mind at once, only to be scattered by a sharp recollection. Laying helplessly on the ground watching Prim and Parsimony walk into the distance. Trying to make my body move and failing until hours or days had passed and the maddening pain in my skull finally grew too strong to ignore. Getting my feet under me once again and staggering half blind along my attempted murderer's back trail.

A hundred nagging questions silenced by all the times I'd been stabbed in the back or the front or from the side and I didn't care about the answers anymore. To know Prim and Corbett and Twice and anybody else were dead at my feet was all I needed.

"Yes. Absolutely."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Red: Mama looks at the three of you. "Maybe there's an opportunity here. If I agree to this, will you be willing to put in the work for it? If something is going to happen to wherever she came from, we might be able to work something out or get useful supplies from there." You can see the wheels turning in her head as she works out how to get a head start on making a profit. What do you do?

Honeydew: Springheel smiles. You see a few people show up, silently floating into the void with their eyes closed - the people who had met up with Springheel before she was killed and they went to Jayna. "These people will be valuable to you. See how many of them you can convince Flintjack to spare." You do notice Corbett and Orson are not among them. "Once that's taken care of, we'll get to Prim and Parsimony. They'll be in the same place for a while." What do you do?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!


[quote="paradoxGentleman" post="493235693"]
Baba
Cool +2 | Hard -1| Hot=0 | Sharp+1 | Weird+2 |
Harm 9:00 | 0/5 XP| Armor: 1| Barter 5


What do I do? I get the hell out of Dodge, that's what I do. I didn't live this long by sticking around people who want me dead. Time to make my way back to Mother Superior and see if she has handled the remaining coyote.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Red, the Driver
Cool +3 | Hard =0 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird -1
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 0/5 | Armor: 0 | Barter: 5

"Of course, Mama," I say with a smile, "I'm always willing to put the work in."

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Baba: You make your way out in the chaos and back to where Mother Superior was waiting. As you do, you hear the sound of someone choking. Mother Superior has her garrote around Corbett's neck and looks up when you approach. "Welcome back," she calmly says as he tries to struggle free and get his gun, which has landed on the ground. She just tightens the grip. "Watch out for the others while I take care of him." She looks real happy with how things are right now. What do you do?

Red: Mama nods. "Jeanette? What do you know?"

Jeanette begins to get out of the side car. "There's this woman who's leading the bandits that's lived around Bayerne's Peak. Her name is Last. They listen to her because she can just...look into you and know anything she wants to know about you." She shivers. "I was brought to her when some of her people came across me out in the Forest. They've been looking for a settlement to take over and Washing is the place they like, what with them providing the medical stuff people use. So she's gathering her forces and they're going to siege the place."

She takes the radio transmittor out. "They're probably realize something's wrong when I don't respond, but they're probably asking that girl about Tref Maer."

Gladd looks incredibly enraged and she beings to quickly say "Last just wanted to talk! She just wanted to talk to someone from there! She'll be fine, Last told her people not to do anything to her and they all obey her. So your daughter's fine. I checked when talking to them the last few times." Gladd is only a little less mad, but her explanation and the shotgun pointed at him has him just resort to glaring at her. "So uh, that's what's going to happen. Anything you want from Washing you'd better get now."

Mama frowns at the start of Jeanette story, but when she hears about the oncoming seige and psychic bandit leader you watch it transform into a smile. "Red, here's your task: Go to Washing with Gladd and the money I give you. Buy whatever medical supplies you can carry back and let Gladd watch over it while you meet up with this Last lady. You -" she points to Gladd. "-You go with this plan, keep quiet, and Red will negotiate with Last about letting your daughter go. But if anyone else hears about this, that's over. Along with if anyone tries attacking me or my people. Got it?"

Gladd clenches his teeth, and for a tense moment there is only silence. Then: "Yes. Got it."

Mama smiles. "Red, you've done incredible work. We are going to benefit from this greatly. Jeanette, why don't you show Scrap your transmitter there and she can make sure it's working. Could come in handy."

What do you do?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!


Baba
Cool +2 | Hard -1| Hot=0 | Sharp+1 | Weird+2 |
Harm 9:00 | 0/5 XP| Armor: 1| Barter 5

I kick the gun away from Corbett, just to be on the safe side. "Wait a tick, Mother Superior. Don't kill him yet."

I lean down real close to him. "Hi, coyote. Remember me?
Let me describe the situation to you. I want you dead. She wants you dead. Now, if you tell me where my stuff you stole is, maybe I won't want to kill you after all. Maybe I'll convince Mother Superior here to let you go. that's a lot of maybes, but that's better than dying here in the dirt, right?"

I got an 8 in my Manipulate roll. it's a lie, of course; Baba doesn't let people who have wronged her get away with it. but he doesn't know that.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.


Honeydew
Cool +3 | Hard=0 | Hot +2 | Sharp+1 | Wierd=0
Harm 9:00 | Infection 6:00 | XP 2/5 | Armor 1 | Barter 3


It seemed like I was crouched in this place. A hazy, might-could-be realm of distant shapes that seemed vaguely familiar but brought to mind nothing concrete. Springheel was somewhere behind me now and I could not for the life of me understand why that didn't worry me. I did not let people into my blind spots if I could help it, but the gentle tugging on my hair sparked no defensive instinct in me.

"So long as they don't get in my way, sure." I was out of my mind. I was talking to a dead woman in my dreams and blithely accepting all she asked of me and not a bit of it felt wrong or even all that strange. It felt unreal, certainly, but that was different.

"...Hey, wolf girl. Why...are you here? In my thoughts?" I shook my head lightly, trying to dispel the placidity that blanketed my mind. "I feel like there's a right question I should be asking you but for the life of me I don't know what it is."

@Honeydew: 2d6 open your brain = (6+6) = 12

Shardix fucked around with this message at Mar 15, 2019 around 03:18

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Baba: Mother Superior looks a bit disappointed, but loosens her grip so that Corbett can talk. He gasps for air and says in a wheezy voice "Make her let me go and give me my pistol," he manages to say after breathing enough to speak. What do you do?

Honeydew: "I'm here to help you," she says. But you sense something off in this moment, and when you look down at Springheel's hand you see it laying still. Branches are coming out of it, and as you turn your head you see her as a corpse with branches coming out and leading into the darkness. She suddenly but gently takes ahold of your head. It reminds you of the way a marionette under the control of a puppeteer moves. The darkness fades for a moment, and you see the branches from Springheel's body lead to the giant tree you saw earlier. Then her hand covers your eyes. "Don't worry about it," she gently whispers. She removes her hand and you see her like you did before, back in the darkness. What do you do?

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.


Honeydew
Cool +3 | Hard=0 | Hot +2 | Sharp+1 | Wierd=0
Harm 9:00 | Infection 6:00 | XP 2/5 | Armor 1 | Barter 3


Maybe the knife blade Prim had snapped off in my skull was finally driving me mad. Maybe not. What I did know was the words Don't worry about it echoed in my head and it was lovely to hear. To be able to set my concerns aside had never really occurred to me before and the idea was liberating. And why not? I had been promised my vengeance. That was all I really wanted.

I let my mind fog over again, relaxing into Springheel's arms. I would awaken soon enough and speak to Flintjack, and my new life could begin.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!


Baba
Cool +2 | Hard -1| Hot=0 | Sharp+1 | Weird+2 |
Harm 9:00 | 0/5 XP| Armor: 1| Barter 5

"Uh uh. This is not the kind of position you make demands in, coyote. One moment more, Mother Superior, please."
I close my eyes and then I open them, letting the forms and colors commingle and confuse. I focus on the person-shaped blob that is Corbett, and look for any filaments that connect him to what is around. He couldn't have had time to hide my stuff too far...

I got a 8 on my Open Your Brain roll. I am asking the maelstorm "Where is my stuff?"

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Baba: Corbett and Mother Superior watch you as you look at Corbett, watching various strands fly out. Some of them vanish, some of them change where they're leading - maybe who he gave it to is different now then it could have been. Touching the strands you can see him making deals with various people...but none of them directly stand out to you as who he actually sold it to. But the people seem to be here in Tref Maer, so it's not out of town.

"If you kill me then you'll have to find it by yourself," he says. Seems he's realized that he can at least inconvenience you on his way down if that's how things here end. "Maybe they'll be taking it out of the hold soon." Mother Superior tightens her grip and his breathing gets cut off again.

"I suppose he won't say anything. Oh well." She's clearly happy with the outcome though. What do you do?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!


Baba
Cool +2 | Hard -1| Hot=0 | Sharp+1 | Weird+2 |
Harm 9:00 | 0/5 XP| Armor: 1| Barter 5

I grimace. I weigh my options.
I don't want to spare this coyote. He has robbed me. After all the years that it took to accumulate that tech, all the raids and trades and fiddling in the dark, even as sparks fly this way and that. But by the same token, I cannot afford to lose it. Not after all it has costed me to get it.

"Mother Superior." I choose my words carefully. She's a weirdo. "You wanted to punish the sinners here, right?" I point at the burning building behind me. "I got you off to a great start. Many of 'em are burning alive as they speak. Their alcohol burns with them. Let this one go, and I'll gladly help you burn some more. But I need my tech, Mother. My livelihood depends on it."

Got a 6 on my manipulate roll. Oh dear.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Baba: Mother Superior looks at the building, then you, then Corbett. Then she lets him go. He gasps again and stumbles away from her. He reaches for the gun, when you realize too late that Mother Superior is pulling out her own magnum. Before he realizes what's happening, Mother Superior aims at his face and pulls the trigger.

BANG

Most of Corbett's jaw is gone. He begins screaming, unable to get any legible words out. She aims at his arm and pulls the trigger again.

BANG

He falls to the ground, blood erupting from his ruined face and hand. His attempted screams are fading out, and you hear people coming nearby, yelling. Mother Superior starts to get into her car. "Hurry along, old one." What do you do?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!


Baba
Cool +2 | Hard -1| Hot=0 | Sharp+1 | Weird+2 |
Harm 9:00 | 1/5 XP| Armor: 1| Barter 5

Well now. Here I am, with no tech, no hostage, and not much of a lead. If that wasn't enough, the wounds are starting to hurt. I'll need to see someone to patch them up soon.

I look down on Corbet's corspe, and spit on it before climbing into the car. I squint my eyes the whispy trails of the people he has dealt with. I warn her: "Before I start doing what you need me to do, I need to find my tech." I try not to sound too accusatory, although I am not happy at all that she blew the jaw off of my most promising lead. I sit down with a groan as my old bones complain about the workout. Unfortunately, I still have a lot to do.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at Mar 19, 2019 around 09:55

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Red, the Driver
Cool +3 | Hard =0 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird -1
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 0/5 | Armor: 0 | Barter: 5

I beam with pride when Mama praises me, "Alright, you heard the lady," I pat Gladd on the shoulder, "Let's get to work!"

And with that, it's time to set the plan in motion; first thing's first, head over to Washing, grab as many medical supplies as I can. Next, meet up with that Last gal. Jeanette's got a way to get in contact with her group, so I'll get her to set up a meeting for me, and make it clear that it's about Gladd's daughter. After that... Well, I'm sure I'll figure something out. Last sounds like a pretty dangerous person, but as you've probably guessed by now, I'm not the type who'd shy away from danger~

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«10 »