Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew
Cool +3 | Hard=0 | Hot +2 | Sharp+1 | Wierd=0
Harm 9:00 | Infection 6:00 | XP 2/5 | Armor 1 | Barter 3

A hundred nagging questions ran through my mind at once, only to be scattered by a sharp recollection. Laying helplessly on the ground watching Prim and Parsimony walk into the distance. Trying to make my body move and failing until hours or days had passed and the maddening pain in my skull finally grew too strong to ignore. Getting my feet under me once again and staggering half blind along my attempted murderer's back trail.

A hundred nagging questions silenced by all the times I'd been stabbed in the back or the front or from the side and I didn't care about the answers anymore. To know Prim and Corbett and Twice and anybody else were dead at my feet was all I needed.

"Yes. Absolutely."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Red: Mama looks at the three of you. "Maybe there's an opportunity here. If I agree to this, will you be willing to put in the work for it? If something is going to happen to wherever she came from, we might be able to work something out or get useful supplies from there." You can see the wheels turning in her head as she works out how to get a head start on making a profit. What do you do?

Honeydew: Springheel smiles. You see a few people show up, silently floating into the void with their eyes closed - the people who had met up with Springheel before she was killed and they went to Jayna. "These people will be valuable to you. See how many of them you can convince Flintjack to spare." You do notice Corbett and Orson are not among them. "Once that's taken care of, we'll get to Prim and Parsimony. They'll be in the same place for a while." What do you do?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

[quote="paradoxGentleman" post="493235693"]
Baba
Cool +2 | Hard -1| Hot=0 | Sharp+1 | Weird+2 |
Harm 9:00 | 0/5 XP| Armor: 1| Barter 5

What do I do? I get the hell out of Dodge, that's what I do. I didn't live this long by sticking around people who want me dead. Time to make my way back to Mother Superior and see if she has handled the remaining coyote.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Red, the Driver
Cool +3 | Hard =0 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird -1
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 0/5 | Armor: 0 | Barter: 5

"Of course, Mama," I say with a smile, "I'm always willing to put the work in."

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Baba: You make your way out in the chaos and back to where Mother Superior was waiting. As you do, you hear the sound of someone choking. Mother Superior has her garrote around Corbett's neck and looks up when you approach. "Welcome back," she calmly says as he tries to struggle free and get his gun, which has landed on the ground. She just tightens the grip. "Watch out for the others while I take care of him." She looks real happy with how things are right now. What do you do?

Red: Mama nods. "Jeanette? What do you know?"

Jeanette begins to get out of the side car. "There's this woman who's leading the bandits that's lived around Bayerne's Peak. Her name is Last. They listen to her because she can just...look into you and know anything she wants to know about you." She shivers. "I was brought to her when some of her people came across me out in the Forest. They've been looking for a settlement to take over and Washing is the place they like, what with them providing the medical stuff people use. So she's gathering her forces and they're going to siege the place."

She takes the radio transmittor out. "They're probably realize something's wrong when I don't respond, but they're probably asking that girl about Tref Maer."

Gladd looks incredibly enraged and she beings to quickly say "Last just wanted to talk! She just wanted to talk to someone from there! She'll be fine, Last told her people not to do anything to her and they all obey her. So your daughter's fine. I checked when talking to them the last few times." Gladd is only a little less mad, but her explanation and the shotgun pointed at him has him just resort to glaring at her. "So uh, that's what's going to happen. Anything you want from Washing you'd better get now."

Mama frowns at the start of Jeanette story, but when she hears about the oncoming seige and psychic bandit leader you watch it transform into a smile. "Red, here's your task: Go to Washing with Gladd and the money I give you. Buy whatever medical supplies you can carry back and let Gladd watch over it while you meet up with this Last lady. You -" she points to Gladd. "-You go with this plan, keep quiet, and Red will negotiate with Last about letting your daughter go. But if anyone else hears about this, that's over. Along with if anyone tries attacking me or my people. Got it?"

Gladd clenches his teeth, and for a tense moment there is only silence. Then: "Yes. Got it."

Mama smiles. "Red, you've done incredible work. We are going to benefit from this greatly. Jeanette, why don't you show Scrap your transmitter there and she can make sure it's working. Could come in handy."

What do you do?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba

I kick the gun away from Corbett, just to be on the safe side. "Wait a tick, Mother Superior. Don't kill him yet."

I lean down real close to him. "Hi, coyote. Remember me?
Let me describe the situation to you. I want you dead. She wants you dead. Now, if you tell me where my stuff you stole is, maybe I won't want to kill you after all. Maybe I'll convince Mother Superior here to let you go. that's a lot of maybes, but that's better than dying here in the dirt, right?"

I got an 8 in my Manipulate roll. it's a lie, of course; Baba doesn't let people who have wronged her get away with it. but he doesn't know that.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

It seemed like I was crouched in this place. A hazy, might-could-be realm of distant shapes that seemed vaguely familiar but brought to mind nothing concrete. Springheel was somewhere behind me now and I could not for the life of me understand why that didn't worry me. I did not let people into my blind spots if I could help it, but the gentle tugging on my hair sparked no defensive instinct in me.

"So long as they don't get in my way, sure." I was out of my mind. I was talking to a dead woman in my dreams and blithely accepting all she asked of me and not a bit of it felt wrong or even all that strange. It felt unreal, certainly, but that was different.

"...Hey, wolf girl. Why...are you here? In my thoughts?" I shook my head lightly, trying to dispel the placidity that blanketed my mind. "I feel like there's a right question I should be asking you but for the life of me I don't know what it is."

@Honeydew: 2d6 open your brain = (6+6) = 12

Shardix fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 15, 2019

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Baba: Mother Superior looks a bit disappointed, but loosens her grip so that Corbett can talk. He gasps for air and says in a wheezy voice "Make her let me go and give me my pistol," he manages to say after breathing enough to speak. What do you do?

Honeydew: "I'm here to help you," she says. But you sense something off in this moment, and when you look down at Springheel's hand you see it laying still. Branches are coming out of it, and as you turn your head you see her as a corpse with branches coming out and leading into the darkness. She suddenly but gently takes ahold of your head. It reminds you of the way a marionette under the control of a puppeteer moves. The darkness fades for a moment, and you see the branches from Springheel's body lead to the giant tree you saw earlier. Then her hand covers your eyes. "Don't worry about it," she gently whispers. She removes her hand and you see her like you did before, back in the darkness. What do you do?

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

Maybe the knife blade Prim had snapped off in my skull was finally driving me mad. Maybe not. What I did know was the words Don't worry about it echoed in my head and it was lovely to hear. To be able to set my concerns aside had never really occurred to me before and the idea was liberating. And why not? I had been promised my vengeance. That was all I really wanted.

I let my mind fog over again, relaxing into Springheel's arms. I would awaken soon enough and speak to Flintjack, and my new life could begin.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba

"Uh uh. This is not the kind of position you make demands in, coyote. One moment more, Mother Superior, please."
I close my eyes and then I open them, letting the forms and colors commingle and confuse. I focus on the person-shaped blob that is Corbett, and look for any filaments that connect him to what is around. He couldn't have had time to hide my stuff too far...

I got a 8 on my Open Your Brain roll. I am asking the maelstorm "Where is my stuff?"

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Baba: Corbett and Mother Superior watch you as you look at Corbett, watching various strands fly out. Some of them vanish, some of them change where they're leading - maybe who he gave it to is different now then it could have been. Touching the strands you can see him making deals with various people...but none of them directly stand out to you as who he actually sold it to. But the people seem to be here in Tref Maer, so it's not out of town.

"If you kill me then you'll have to find it by yourself," he says. Seems he's realized that he can at least inconvenience you on his way down if that's how things here end. "Maybe they'll be taking it out of the hold soon." Mother Superior tightens her grip and his breathing gets cut off again.

"I suppose he won't say anything. Oh well." She's clearly happy with the outcome though. What do you do?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba

I grimace. I weigh my options.
I don't want to spare this coyote. He has robbed me. After all the years that it took to accumulate that tech, all the raids and trades and fiddling in the dark, even as sparks fly this way and that. But by the same token, I cannot afford to lose it. Not after all it has costed me to get it.

"Mother Superior." I choose my words carefully. She's a weirdo. "You wanted to punish the sinners here, right?" I point at the burning building behind me. "I got you off to a great start. Many of 'em are burning alive as they speak. Their alcohol burns with them. Let this one go, and I'll gladly help you burn some more. But I need my tech, Mother. My livelihood depends on it."

Got a 6 on my manipulate roll. Oh dear.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Baba: Mother Superior looks at the building, then you, then Corbett. Then she lets him go. He gasps again and stumbles away from her. He reaches for the gun, when you realize too late that Mother Superior is pulling out her own magnum. Before he realizes what's happening, Mother Superior aims at his face and pulls the trigger.

BANG

Most of Corbett's jaw is gone. He begins screaming, unable to get any legible words out. She aims at his arm and pulls the trigger again.

BANG

He falls to the ground, blood erupting from his ruined face and hand. His attempted screams are fading out, and you hear people coming nearby, yelling. Mother Superior starts to get into her car. "Hurry along, old one." What do you do?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba
Harm 9:00 | 1/5 XP| Armor: 1| Barter 5

Well now. Here I am, with no tech, no hostage, and not much of a lead. If that wasn't enough, the wounds are starting to hurt. I'll need to see someone to patch them up soon.

I look down on Corbet's corspe, and spit on it before climbing into the car. I squint my eyes the whispy trails of the people he has dealt with. I warn her: "Before I start doing what you need me to do, I need to find my tech." I try not to sound too accusatory, although I am not happy at all that she blew the jaw off of my most promising lead. I sit down with a groan as my old bones complain about the workout. Unfortunately, I still have a lot to do.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Mar 19, 2019

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Red, the Driver
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 0/5 | Armor: 0 | Barter: 5

I beam with pride when Mama praises me, "Alright, you heard the lady," I pat Gladd on the shoulder, "Let's get to work!"

And with that, it's time to set the plan in motion; first thing's first, head over to Washing, grab as many medical supplies as I can. Next, meet up with that Last gal. Jeanette's got a way to get in contact with her group, so I'll get her to set up a meeting for me, and make it clear that it's about Gladd's daughter. After that... Well, I'm sure I'll figure something out. Last sounds like a pretty dangerous person, but as you've probably guessed by now, I'm not the type who'd shy away from danger~

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
About a week passes.

More violence has come to Tref Maer. It seems to just be a daily thing now. Honeydew was gunned down in the streets, Jayna's vanished, and someone burned down the distillery her gang was using. So there's not even any decent booze being made - you can still get some but be prepared to pay a premium on it. They've still got the Sap though, and more people are trying that out now that alcohol has become harder to get. They're trying to get it fixed up and get back into production, but there's a fear that something will happen again.

Baba: Your searching and inquires have managed to nail down who has your stuff. It's a woman named Scrap, some kind of technician who works for Mama. She apparently bought the stuff the three now dead coyotes took from you. Her workshop is inside Mama's building, and there's going to be people there who might object to you just walking in and taking what they view as her stuff. What do you do?

Dame LeBelle: You've come to town in somewhat of a dark time it seems but there are people who seem interested in your services. One of them, Visage, brought you back to their gang's headquarters...a ruined distillery. They claim that the gang has a lot of jingle and could pay you, but you see a woman leading them who doesn't look happy when she learns what Visage brought you here for.

"We could use some entertainment right now Hatira," Visage tries to argue - but you can see she's probably going to make you leave anyway. The other people here are watching, looking at you with curiosity as a break from trying to get to work on rebuilding. There's a decent audience here, and if they like it they might talk you up in Tref Maer. What do you do?

Honeydew: Flintjack and his crew take their time to rest and relax. And even without any help, you feel your wounds heal fairly quickly by themselves.

Remove the infection clock and the effects of it - you are the infection now.

But now it's time to act. The gang begins to arm themselves. Flintjack looks through his weapons, handing Jayna's assault rifle to a formerly unarmed man. "I'll have everyone surround and cut them off. Mercer, you use this to make sure no one escapes. Honeydew, you and I can get close and kill them." He checks his grenade launcher. "Has anyone seen Gladd?" People talk, but no one seems to know where he could be. What do you do?

Red: You and Gladd stock up on what medical supplies you can get without arousing suspicion over the week. Eventually, Jeanette contacts Last's people. She very, very, nervously stumbles through the conversation, but she manages to get Last to agree to meet you. Or rather, the person on the other end says that Last wants to meet you. You can see Gladd isn't happy about having to wait while his daughter is so close, but for now he's following Mama's orders. "Just get Peony out of that woman's grasp. Please."

You head out into the Forest, where Jeanette said Last was. And sure enough as you see the first signs of a temporary settlement you also see a bunch of people with weapons, waiting for you. They're heavily armed and armored, and one of them steps forward. "I'm H. You Red? Follow me." What do you do?

Everyone pay for your lifestyle

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 25, 2019

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Dame LaBelle
Cool +1 | Hard -1| Hot +2 | Sharp +1 | Weird =0 |
Harm 0:00 | 0/5 XP | Armor: 0 | Barter 1

Of the many headquarters I've been in, a gutted distillery might be one of the gloomiest and least impressive. Standing in the middle of the place while the man who brought me here argues with his boss, I do have to wonder if they really have the Jingle to pay, and wish that people would work out their plans ahead of time, rather than bring me in places where I'm not welcome. Keeping a polite expression while they talk, it's clear soon enough that Visage isn't going to win this debate. Stepping forward, my hands spread peaceably in front of me, I offer Hatira a soft smile. "I'm sorry, but what's the problem? Your people look like they could use some entertainment to reinvigorate them, but if it's doubt that I'm worth the cost, I do understand that I'm new here without a reputation. Why not let me do one song for your crew and if you find it worthwhile you can pay me for a small performance, and if not, I can leave?" Phrasing it like this isn't my favorite thing, but I am selling my talent and I'm confident enough in my ability that even if this woman has no interest in allowing her men a break that once she hears it she'll pay to have me keep going.

Spending 1 Barter on Lifestyle

The Skinner posted:

Name: Dame LaBelle
Player: GodFish
Playbook: The Skinner
Look: woman, luxe wear, bright eyes, expressive hands, lush body

Stats
Cool +1
Hard -1
Hot +2
Sharp +1
Weird =0

Moves
Artful & gracious: when you perform your chosen art—any act of expression or culture—or when you put its product before an audience, roll+hot. On a 10+, spend 3. On a 7–9, spend 1. Spend 1 to name an NPC member of your audience and choose one:
• This person must meet me.
• This person must have my services.
• This person loves me.
• This person must give me a gift.
• This person admires my patron.
On a miss, you gain no benefit, but suffer no harm or lost opportunity. You simply perform very well.

An arresting skinner: when you remove a piece of clothing, your own or someone else’s, no one who can see you can do anything but watch. You command their absolute attention. If you choose, you can exempt individual people, by name.

Gear
• sleeve pistol (2-harm, close, reload, loud)
• long gorgeous coat (worn, valuable)
• skin & hair kit (applied, valuable) Use to take +1 hot forward
• oddments worth 2-barter
• fashion suitable to your look

Skinner Special
If you and another character have sex, choose one:
• You take +1 forward and so do they.
• You take +1 forward; they take -1.
• They must give you a gift worth at least 1-barter.
• You can hypnotize them as though you’d rolled a 10+, even if you haven’t chosen to get the move.

Hx:
Honeydew is my friend
Hx+2.
Red is my lover
Hx+1.
Baba is in love with me
Hx-1.

GodFish fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 26, 2019

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Dame LeBelle: Hatira glances at everyone else, and then back to you. "Well...sure. One song, and we'll see." What do you do?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Dame LaBelle
Cool +1 | Hard -1| Hot +2 | Sharp +1 | Weird =0
Harm 0:00 | 1/5 XP | Armor: 0 | Barter 1

"Thank you." Giving Hatira a more pleasant smile than before, I nod my head, then turn to look at the room. With the damage done to it, there aren't going to be great acoustics anywhere, so my best bet is just to get everyone in front of me. Reaching into my bag, I remove a small microphone, without heavier duty gear it doesn't do much beyond amplify my voice and make it sound scratchier, so it'll only be for the introduction. "Hello everyone," Holding the microphone to my lips, I give the crowd a wave with a silken hand. "I'm Dame LaBelle, and I'll be giving you all a song, if you could please gather around..." Giving them a moment to do so, I consider the audience. They all look tired, physically and mentally - Tref Maer's been on hard times by all accounts, so they need something living and light hearted. Tragic songs are my favorite, but that isn't how you work a crowd. Once they've gathered, I cough twice, then start to slowly sway from side to side, counting a beat softly to myself as I speed up, once I've reached a fast pace breaking into song. A song of spring and grassy meadows none of us have ever seen, and a fool and his quest for love, designed to make the crowd laugh. The beat is light and fast, and I work a small dance into it, turning to Hatira as the last beat dies, and I move to a breathless stop, eyes sparkling to see how she took it.

@Dame LeBelle: 2d6+2 artful and gracious = (1+5)+2 = 8
Spending 1: Hatira must have my services.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew
Harm 9:00 | XP 2/5 | Armor 1 | Barter 3

I waited patiently while Flintjack gave orders, testing the edge on my new blade. It wasn't much to look at but I reckoned it could open somebody's throat without trying very hard. Just a little something I had been working on to keep myself from going stir crazy while my wounds knit back up. I was perfectly willing to lounge around all day long if the mood took me when I was feeling well, but when injuries necessitated stay put? It was enough to make me see red.

At Flintjack's query, I glanced up at the giant. I didn't know or care about Gladd but I did have my own question.

"Are we taking prisoners?" I tucked the blade into the new sheath I'd sewn into my boot and hefted the baseball bat over a shoulder. I affixed the mask mask Flintjack had made me and cocked my head from side to side, testing the weight. "Because if we are, you might as well get ready to yell at me for disobeying orders."

Shardix fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 26, 2019

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Dame LeBelle: The people watch as you perform, Hatira in particular. They're all smiling at the uplifting song, and Hatira seems to be relaxing and enjoying the show. When you finish, they all applaud. Hatira approaches you, beaming from ear to ear and says "I'd love to have you do more! I'm sure we can all pitch something in to pay?" She looks to everyone, and they cheer in agreement. What do you do?

Honeydew: Flintjack looks at you for a moment before he responds, like he's thinking on something. "No. Go ahead and kill whoever you want," Flintjack says. You remember that Springheel showed you some people she'd like to stay alive - do you plan on sparing them or do you not care?

Meanwhile everyone else is getting ready, and soon they're on their bikes. You have one too, what with the recent deaths from Jayna freeing some of them up for other people. It's not a great bike, but it gets you from point A to B. What do you do on the way?

Your bike:

Frame: Bike
Strengths: Off-road
Look: Garish, cobbled-together
Weakness: Loud, cramped

Stats: Speed=0, handling=1, 0-armor, massive=0

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Mar 26, 2019

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

A flash of Springheel in my mind and I winced. I was still unsure if I wasn't just losing my mind, but something deep in my gut said not to play around. It was time to simply go with the flow and stop trying to control for possibilities. From the sound of it Flintjack didn't care one way or another. So if I saw some of the people Springheel had whispered in my mind and told them to stand down, maybe he'd be fine with that. After all - if he really aimed to take over this whole swathe of territory he'd need people to do some actual work when the smoke cleared.

With a few deft motions I tied my hair up and straddled the bike I'd been given. It was a gaudy nightmare that you had to scream to be heard over and the fact that it could actually run seemed to defy all logic. I could just imagine Red's look of disgust if she ever caught sight of it. I loved it but it could stand to have some work done to ensure it didn't fall apart beneath me. Corbett gunned me down before I could visit Baba last time. After this incursion, maybe I'd be in better condition to try again.

I spun the bike around and kicked it into gear and we were off. As we drove I let my mind wander. Springheel's grinning face peered over my shoulder and I could swear I felt her arms around my waist as she hung on during a turn.

"Hey, wolf girl. What do you think? Let me know if I'm going to get shot again." That I was talking to a figment of my imagination didn't really faze me.

@Honeydew: 2d6+0 open my brain to what awaits me = (1+5) = 6

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Dame LaBelle

I can't help but smile. It's always gratifying to see such a positive reaction to my art. And from a doubter more than anyone else. "I'm glad you came around," I say to Hatira, returning her smile. "I'd love to put on a show for such an appreciative audience." Raising my microphone to my lips again, I look out at the small crowd, "Any requests?" They like me so far, but before the night is done they'll love me.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Honeydew: As you're driving, the surroundings change. Suddenly you're at the distillery, and you see them all happy and relaxed. "No one you should worry about," Springheel says. "Just try and keep my former friends alive. You and Flintjack should be more then enough to handle them. I'm sure they'd be glad to be your friends now if you spare them." Everything changes back to normal, and Flintjack makes a motion for everyone to stop.

"They'll hear us coming. Leave the bikes here and we'll get them on our way back." Everyone dismounts and takes out their weapons, fanning out and moving towards where the distillery is. Mercer stays behind you and Flintjack with the assault rifle raised to cover you. What do you do?

Dame LaBelle: The crowd begins to shout for songs that they remember or like, and you're figuring out which ones to do first when a strange woman steps forward and grabs the microphone out of your hands.

Hatira begins to say, "Pennyroyal, give her back the-" before the woman interrupts.

"Flintjack is coming here to kill us all," she calmly announces. There's a moment of silence, and then everyone begins talking in panic. Hatira starts shouting for them to calm down, but some of them aren't paying attention to her. The last you remember of Flintjack, he took care of the razorboars in exchange for being allowed to charge tolls to Lana. Seems like he moved up since then. Pennyroyal turns to you. "Perhaps you could get your friend to stop them?" What do you do?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Dame LaBelle

Some good suggestions from the crowd. Working through the ideas, I've just settled on a good choice when the microphone is taken by a woman with good style and no tact, but before I can get too mad she explains whats going on. Taking it back from Pennyroyal, I frown at her, putting it away so our conversation isn't broadcasted. "Friend? Flintjack isn't my friend, he was just a two-bit bandit the last I heard of him." Still... she knows something if he really is coming. What's going on? And if she is wrong about me not having a friend... how am I going to get out of this? It's pure bad luck that a fight is getting picked where I am before I had a chance to get my presence known. A week from now, and Flintjack's gang at least would know I'm worth keeping alive, but tonight, my prospects aren't looking great.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba
Cool +2 | Hard -1| Hot=0 | Sharp+1| Weird+2 |
Harm 9:00 | 2/5 XP| Armor: 1| Barter 4

I stand before Mama's building, chewing on some tobacco. I wish I could say I was planning my next move, but the truth is, I'm hesitating. I am hurt, and my tech has been away from me long enough to make me nervous. I hope that this Scrap person didn't mess with my stuff too much.

I take a deep breath and get into the place. One of the advantages of being old is that no one pays too much attention to you if you keep your head down. I simply walk, calmly but without hesitation, acting like I have every reason to be there. Odds are, no one is going to mind or even notice.

2d6+2 Act under fire; do not attract attention = (5+4)+2 = 11
Spending 1 on lifestyle; getting 1 XP for rolling Cool.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 28, 2019

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

I gave Mercer a nod and a clap on the shoulder as he hefted the rifle. "Glad to have you watching my back. We shouldn't be long." He should be much more likely to hold his ground and keep his game face on if he thought I was trusting him with my life. It was a cheap psychological tactic, but an effective one.

Glancing at Flintjack, I pointed my chin up the road. "Going to slip ahead and see what's what. We don't need any surprises." At his okay I darted off ahead until our target came into view. Keeping low and behind any cover I could find I made my approach.

@Honeydew: 2d6+3 Act Under Fire; being sneaky = (4+1)+3 = 8

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Red, the Driver
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 0/5 | Armor: 0 | Barter: 4

What do I do? I follow along, of course. I'm walking into the lion's den, and I gotta be careful about what I say, and what I do. Last thing I want is to get filled up with holes. I just gotta get Peony, and get out, and hope it all goes smoothly, and if it doesn't, then I'll just improvise... something.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Dame LaBelle: Pennyroyal barely seems to notice when you take the microphone back. "No, your friend. The one with him. Perhaps she will listen to you? I would rather not die." Meanwhile everyone is getting their weapons out and putting on their armor. Several of them are looking for positions to defend from, but with the building being a burnt wreck there's not a lot of great spots. What do you do?

Baba: It doesn't take you long to get to Scrap's office - or rather, her garage. There are some doors on it that could let vehicles in, but they're closed and locked for now. It's fairly simple workspace, compared to yours. You see Scrap working at a table on an artifical arm. Many of her things are out, but you see next to the table a closed crate. She's focused on her work at the moment and hasn't noticed you. What do you do?

Honeydew: As you sneak closer, you see everyone has their weapons out and seem ready to fight. A lot of them are talking to someone who has their back to you - you're not sure who that is. It looks like they know someone's coming. But as you're slowly walking around to get a better look, a strong man seems to notice the rustle of the bushes. You hesitate, and he starts coming towards you - axe in one hand, pistol in the other. He doesn't look like he's actually seen you, more like he thinks there might be something and he's checking it out just to be safe.

"That's Hunter's Moon," Springheel says as she points to him. "Maybe you should head back, he could be a valuable ally to you later. Would be a shame if he had to die. Let Flintjack know they're waiting for them." She grins. "That won't help these people at all, not with you here." What do you do?

Red: H walks you to a somewhat cleared out section of the Forest, several other people hacking away at the trees. Tents are set up, and you see many large vehicles parked to the side. Sitting down at a nearby stump is a woman with completely blue eyes, wearing a crown. She motions for you to sit on the other side...but you feel her gaze piercing you, looking straight into your soul. You can keep no secrets from her. What do you intend to do?

When Last looks at you, she may ask any question. Answer honestly.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

I let my hand slip from the hilt of my knife. It was so very tempting to grab the man and open him up for the worms but Springhell was right. And to be perfectly honest my anger was starting to build. I hadn't seen Corbett or any of the others that had gunned me down but I knew they'd be here. If I started killing now, I don't think I'd be able to stop myself until I'd found them and repaid the favor and that would not end well. And they weren't going to just assume they'd killed me this time. They would make sure of it.

I carefully slithered backwards, attempting to stay in shadows and break line of sight before Hunter's Moon caught a glimpse of me.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba
Harm 9:00 | 3/5 XP| Armor: 1| Barter 4

Look at her. So focused on her work, it seems like the rest of the world doesn't even exist. I know what that's like; I get the same way. I make a mental note to get on with building alarms and traps for my own workspace as I wrap my hands around a screwdriver that's hanging from a wall. Two long strides to cross the garage and I'm behind her; one hand goes around her mouth, to stop her from screaming, and another sinks the screwdriver in the side of her throat, to make sure she won't scream ever again.

I feel a twinge of guilt, but I silence it with practiced ease. This is what happens when you buy from thieves.

To distract myself, I focus on what happens next. I need to load my stuff in the vehicle, and get out of here. Hm, but if they see me going out with this car, they'll realize something's wrong. Scrap is my same size, more or less; I'd look less suspicious if I looked like her. I might just have a plan...

2d6+2 Act under fire: don't mess my future disguise up. = (1+4)+2 = 7
Marking XP

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Dame LaBelle

"'My friend' is not a helpful description in figuring out if I can or can't do anything here." But in the end, I don't need more information. If Flinkjack is bringing a battle here, these people are dead, and I'll be dead with them, unless I manage something. Worst case, I go out there and get shot, as opposed to staying in here and getting shot. Best case, I talk my 'friend' into calling things off and these people pay me for saving them, middle case I can't talk them out of it, but I get to walk away. Not my favorite odds, but I'll try it. "I'll see what I can do. Get me some whiteish cloth. A dirty shirt will do in a pinch." As I speak, I collapse my parasol, preparing to use it as a makeshift pole to wave the shirt from.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Baba: You jam the screwdriver into her neck, and Scrap begins flailing about. You try to keep her from bleeding onto her clothes, and she kicks over a bunch of equipment in her struggle. It all hits the floor and clatters very loudly - it might be enough to attract attention. She falls to the ground and slowly stops moving. You're not sure if she's going to die before anyone finds her - do you want to take the time to make sure or get out with your stuff right now?

Dame LaBelle: Pennyroyal pulls a large and white enough handkerchief out. "Here you are." You wrap it around your parasol and head out with it in front. You fairly quickly come across Flintjack talking to someone as his gang moves towards where you came from. When you step out, they all point their weapons at you. Flintjack looks at you, trying to see if he knows who you are. When he doesn't remember he says with a smile, "Can I help you?" Despite his friendly manner he's carrying some kind of large weapon - you get the idea that if he fires, that might be the end of you. What do you do?

Honeydew: You manage to slip by Hunter's Moon and make it back to Flintjack and his gang. As he's about to ask how it went, someone steps out waving a white cloth. In a brief moment you recognize her as your friend Dame LeBelle. Everyone's pointing their weapon at her, and Flintjack begins to talk to her. What do you do?

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

I eyed LeBelle coolly. Her presence calmed my anger a bit, but in its place came paranoia. Not only did it seem like this attack was expected but LeBelle and her silken voice? I had no beef with her but I didn't trust any of this.

I stood next to Flintjack, hands holding the bat casually in front of me. I kept my gaze on LeBelle as I spoke aside to him. "Hey boss. I know her, she's good people. I would appreciate it if she ends the day in the same condition she's in now. But that aside, we need to be careful. Those worms were expecting us. Up ahead they're armed and itchy." I turned to LeBelle and fixed her with a steady look, grateful for the mask to hide behind.

"Hey LeBelle. Been a while. What's the news?"

Shardix fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 6, 2019

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba
Harm 9:00 | 3/5 XP| Armor: 1| Barter 4

I have little time as it stands. I can't waste any more. I will just grab enough clothes to disguise myself (a scarf, a hat, a jacket perhaps), get my stuff and leave.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Dame LaBelle

I do my best - quite well - to ignore the guns pointed my way, acting unconcerned until I make my way to the leader, Flintjack. That massive gun gets an uncomfortable glance, then I look him up and down. He looks more or less just how I remember him, aside from... "Honeydew?" That's definitely her, no one else has that hair. But she doesn't look the same, and has a strange new mask on. Still, its better to act as if things are normal in this kind of situation. I smile back at her. "I heard this place had lost its entertainment, and thought it'd be a good market. But it seems things are a bit worse than that." Moving slowly so as not to alarm anyone, I gesture at the gang around me, bristling guns. Then I smile at Flinkjack. "The people back there," I point over my shoulder with the parasol, "would very much like to not die. They're going to fight you, and had enough warning that you won't be able to roll over them without taking some loses," though they don't have a chance of surviving, "and they've booked a performance from me, so I'd rather they not die too. Perhaps there's some kind of arrangement you could come to? What do you want from them?"

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Red, the Driver
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 0/5 | Armor: 0 | Barter: 4

...I don’t usually get nervous. Doesn’t matter how bad a situation gets, I’m always good at keeping my cool. But this... this is different. Just being around Last fills me with an unease that I haven’t felt in a really, really long time. It’s like... it’s like she’s staring into my very soul. But I gotta push through, and do what I need to do.

I sit at the stump next to her, keeping a calm expression, not showing her how nervous I am right now. I smile, but it’s a bit of a forced smile, “You’re Last, huh? Nice little place you got here,” a beat, “I’ll get straight to the point; I’m here for the girl. That’s all. Let me take her, and we can all go on our merry way.”

quote:

Rolled an 8 to Read a Person. Asking:
- How could I get your character to hand over Gladd’s daughter with minimal fuss?

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

"I didn't want to die either. Didn't stop Doghead, Corbett, and their friends from emptying their magazines into me." My knuckles went white as I gripped the bat with barely constrained anger. I looked back up to Flintjack, awaiting his judgement. I'd protect LeBelle from him if it came to that, and I'd try to get the people Springheel told me about out of here. But beyond that I wasn't feeling very merciful today. I was on my feet, yes, and everything seemed to be working. But the pain of those gunshots still lingered and I was eager to share it.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Baba: You take the clothes off of Scrap, and put them on. The crate next to her worktable has your stuff, and you're able to load it into the pick up truck. Her leather jacket has the keys to it, along with the keys to the locks on the garage door. You open it and head out. No one is close enough to tell you aren't Scrap and you're out of Mama's place with no problem. Where do you go now?

Dame LaBelle: "Their former leader attacked us and killed several of my people already. She's dead, now they're going to follow. And I have more faith in my people then you do." He grins. "I think they'd hold their own even without me and Honeydew. If the group you want to protect didn't want to die, perhaps they shouldn't have made so many enemies." What do you do?

Red: Last smiles politely at you. "You came out all the way here just for the child? Surely we can set up an arrangement for when I'm in charge of Washing? Or maybe even before?" She definitely wants to do that, but the way she's looking at you...you get the idea she also wants to learn more about you. She doesn't seem too dead set on keeping Peony - you could probably get her by just talking to Last for a while. "You apparently managed to get Jeanette to safety. Do you want to know what she was afraid of?" It's clearly rhetorical, as she continues talking. "She killed her best friend. Strangled her to death, and stole the ring she always wore. All because her friend got the job she always wanted." Last brings her left hand up and you see a fairly beautiful ring on her ring finger. "The people of Washing could never prove it, but that's why she lived out in the hut by herself. But I know. And the people of Washing would soon realize what I can do, and that their suspicions were correct." She watches you the entire time she says this, continuing to look into you. How do you feel about helping Jeanette out now? What do you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Dame LaBelle

They're the ones who did this to Honeydew? She can probably see from my expression that I'm considering dropping the subject and letting her get her revenge on them. But not quite. With Honeydew here I'd feel a bit better about my odds in a town ruled solidly by one person, but at the same time, factions made for far better business, and they had been hiring me and asked me to save them. I wouldn't give up just yet. I can the potential of an angle to work with here from her and Flinkjack's answers. "The leader is the one responsible, and she's dead. Why not let the others join you or go in peace, excluding the ones who did this to Honeydew? You get your revenge, punish them for attacking, and get more people on your side."