Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«12 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012


Jayna the Gunlugger
Cool +1 | Hard+2 | Hot -1| Sharp+1 |Wierd 0
Harm 0:00 | XP 0/5 | Armor 2 | Barter 1

Here goes nothing.

I take the offered food from Springheel, "Thank you." I bite into the heart expecting it to be woody, and am shocked by the buttery flavor and soft texture of the bite in my mouth, this is far more pleasant than what I was expecting. I offer it to Honeydew and savor what I have eaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.


Honeydew
Cool +3 | Hard-1 | Hot +1 | Sharp+1 | Wierd 0
Harm 0:00 | XP 4/5 | Armor 1 | Barter 3


I took the heart and hefted it, surprised at the weight left even after two-thirds of it had been consumed. The blood (sap? ichor?) was deep and rich even against my own skin. The vital fluids ran down my fingers and arm and dripped onto the toe of a boot, a slow but notable tap tap tap. My eyes were full of it. Hypnotized. A quick shake of my head and the moment was dispelled. There I went, getting much too caught up in things and acting the fool. I wasn't much for camaraderie as a personal preference. When I did allow myself to indulge in that sort of sentimentality? It was not uncommon to get caught up in the moment.

"Prost!" I looked Springheel in the eyes as I devoured the heart. It wasn't bad. The aftertaste reminded me of gun oil, birch sap, and just a hint of turpentine. Like papa's old cold remedies, the very threat of which had often been enough to convince a very small Honeydew that she was not nearly so ill as she thought.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Hemlock, the Savvyhead
Cool -1 | Hard =0 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 0/5 | Armor: 1 | Barter: 5

I say, "Man, you know how those connectors get. If the tool's a couple of mills off, your torque goes fuckin' all over the place. I figure you got the exact right one if you're working these bikes on the regular." I move to take it, assuming he doesn't flip out again, and if so I'm gonna ask it so many fuckin' questions when I get some alone time with it. "Y'mind? Gonna be outta your hair faster if I get this all done quick-like."

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Hemlock: "Yeah. All right." He lets you take the wrench, and steps back while watching you work. What do you do?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Hemlock, the Savvyhead
Cool -1 | Hard =0 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 1/5 | Armor: 1 | Barter: 5

For a bit, anyways, I do just what I said I would. Ain't even a thing to open up Li's brakelines and see that they're bone dry. Go fuckin' figure how Bitcoin explains that away, but I ain't interested. As I start piping in some new brake juice, I flip the wrench around a few times in my hand. Really get a feel for it, y'know? Can't just up and ask, not with him watching, but if I get a real good feel for it... well, it's about as good. Most of the time. I'm sure it's seen some poo poo, maybe even some poo poo that I can tell Flintjack without sounding like a total nutcase.

quote:

SidekickBOTToday at 10:10 PM
@Hemlock: 2d6+2 things speak = (1+3)+2 = 6

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Hemlock: The wrench speaks, but instead of words you hear applause. Bitcoin moves his mouth, saying something, but applause is all that comes out. The walls of the garage fall down, and the floor becomes a conveyer belt. Li's bike is now the forestry exosuit, Li and Bitcoin are gone, and both you and it move along. What seem like spotlights shine on you and it, and the applause grows louder. You see someone, giant in comparison to you, clapping and looking at you with pride. Who is it? They pick the two of you up and put you on a table, where you sense others watching.

Then, suddenly, you are back at the garage and for a second it seems like it got flipped around. Then you realize you're on the ground, Bitcoin is saying "I don't know, she was adjusting the brake fluid level and suddenly spaced out!" Li is arguing "Yeah well she said Bitcoin took the brake fluid out and it was gone when she opened it! Then whatever happened to her...happened!" Flintjack is watching the two of them in annoyance, and someone else has an old tiny and battered first aid kit out and is checking on you. "She's awake," she says and the three of them look at you.

"Thank you Mimi, stay here for a moment in case something else happens." Flintjack walks over to you. "You okay? What happened?" You realize he has one arm in his coat, probably holding onto a weapon. But he doesn't seem to be intending to threaten you. What do you do?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Hemlock, the Savvyhead
Cool -1 | Hard =0 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 1/5 | Armor: 1 | Barter: 5

Yeah, uh... I have no fuckin' idea who this lady is. She's... uh. Kind of a mash-up of person and machine, if you look close enough. Might not've noticed it if she was normal-sized, but as a giant? Yeah, poo poo, no way to miss all that chrome peeking through. But I ain't got time to think of that, what with the sudden audience. gently caress me, I've been losin' it lately. Maybe this bean juice poo poo is doin' me in. I shake my head, "Y'know that juice Shi Shi slings? Stopped by for a cup earlier, been a little hosed up after that. Must've been bad. It'll pass."

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Hemlock: "He put any of that Sap poo poo in? Maybe he needs some more people addicted to it."

"She's saying she's been out of it, maybe Li messed with her own bike and she thought - " Bitcoin begins to say right before Li interrupts.

"That's bullshit, I didn't do anything to my own bike and you know it. It's all because - "

"Both of you shut up." Flintjack takes out a machete made from the tusk of a razorboar, and everyone falls silent. He turns to you. "So Li says you told her Bitcoin is trying to kill her, and Bitcoin says the two of you are making it up. Sometimes some idiotic drama starts between people here and I don't mind as long as it doesn't interfere with what I'm doing. But now either Bitcoin is trying to kill Li or Li is lying to get me to kill Bitcoin. So we're going to solve this right here, right now. Hemlock, what makes you think Bitcoin took the brake fluid out?" What do you do?

Honeydew: Springheel cheers and begins to stroke your hair again, getting the filth of the pistolpine all over it. What do you do?

Jayna: So Honeydew helped you out here. Do you consider this repayment for loving up your job with Josiah?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Hemlock, the Savvyhead
Cool -1 | Hard =0 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 2/5 | Armor: 1 | Barter: 5

"Yeah, maybe. poo poo didn't taste right. I don't truck with that scene, ain't big on things that gently caress me up like that." I shrug, "As for knowin' what happened? Oh, that's easy. Machines and poo poo? They tell me poo poo. A bunch of chatty fuckers, let me tell ya. It's one of the reasons I'm the best at what I do. Li's bike told me about the empty lines, ain't no surprise that they're bone dry when I popped 'em open."

quote:

SidekickBOTToday at 9:49 PM
@Hemlock: 2d6+1 manipulate = (4+5)+1 = 10

Tricky fucked around with this message at Oct 6, 2018 around 04:49

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.


Honeydew
Cool +3 | Hard-1 | Hot +1 | Sharp+1 | Wierd 0
Harm 0:00 | XP 4/5 | Armor 1 | Barter 3


I stared at Springheel incredulously as she befouled my hair. Popping her in the jaw was becoming more and more appealing by the second, except there was clearly something loose in her brainmeats. Beating her was not going to help anything. A different tack was needed. Giving her a cheerful smile, I put an arm around her shoulder and took her chin in hand. Turning her face so we were looking eye to eye and I had her undivided attention, I laid down how this was going to go.

"Alright, here's the deal. You can snuggle all you like on our way back to Tref Maer. I'm going to pay a visit to that Flintjack guy and see what's what, and afterwards you are going to wash every inch of it while I soak in a tub."

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Hemlock: Flintjack studies you. "Interesting." He pauses to think for a moment, and you see Bitcoin starting to realize how things are going to go. He reaches out to grab the sawed-off, and Flintjack begins to march towards him. What do you do?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Hemlock, the Savvyhead
Cool -1 | Hard =0 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 2/5 | Armor: 1 | Barter: 5

Now, poo poo, I ain't a hero. Bitcoin is a bike ruining fucker to begin with and Flintjack is bugnuts crazy. I'm just gonna chill down here on the floor, maybe find a nice crate to duck behind, and see what happens. If Flintjack bites it, guess I'll have to grab the battery on the way out... but I have a feeling it's not gonna go that way.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Hemlock: Bitcoin grabs the gun, Li and Mimi hit the floor, and Flintjack practically leaps at him. The sawed-off goes off with an incredibly loud BANG, the shot hits Flintjack who doesn't even flinch and raises the machete. Bitcoin tries to back away to reload, but he's not fast enough to do so before Flintjack buries the machete in his head. He drops to the ground, and Flintjack pulls the blade out. He doesn't seem concerned about the shot at all, or even hurt.

In battle, Flintjack counts as a small gang

He flicks the machete, some of the blood and gore flying off. "Li, Mimi, take him out and redistribute his poo poo." The two of them take the body and haul it out. "Hemlock, we have the thing outside. Now that we've solved this problem, why don't you take a look at it?" He picks up the sawed-off with his free hand and motions towards the door. What do you do?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Hemlock, the Savvyhead
Cool -1 | Hard =0 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 2/5 | Armor: 1 | Barter: 5

I pick myself back off the floor, flick off a bit of brain that landed on my shoulder, and say, "Aight, yeah, sounds like a plan. Once I get a look-see at yer box, I'll head on back and get to work on the launcher."

Then, y'know, I head on outside. Holy poo poo. I'm... uh. I'm reevaluatin' this whole thing with 'Dew takin' them all on. She's a badass, sure, but Flintjack is a monster. What kind of fucker can just take a shottie to the chest and just keep comin'? Well, hey, I'll just have to pass that tidbit along next time I see her. Or at least make sure she doesn't yap about who put her up to it if things go cross-ways.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012


Heliotrope posted:


Jayna: So Honeydew helped you out here. Do you consider this repayment for loving up your job with Josiah?

Yeah she definitely doesn't owe me anything, those trees were likely to hurt me more than that dustup did.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012


Jayna the Gunlugger
Cool +1 | Hard+2 | Hot -1| Sharp+1 |Wierd 0
Harm 0:00 | XP 0/5 | Armor 2 | Barter 1

"Figure I'll walk with y'all to Tref Manor, I've got business there myself, and it's definitely safer to walk the forest in a group than alone."

Need to get the Mayor to pay up, and probably time to find a new gig too. Wish I could get in on whatever gig Honeydew and Hemlock got cooking, but three might be a crowd for it, they defintely haven't invited me yet.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Hemlock: Flintjack leads you outside, and you see it's far later in the day then when you entered. Meanwhile a group of his gang members are off to the side taking Bitcoin's clothes and possessions off while arguing over who gets what. Flintjack hands the gun to a woman in a rabbit mask. "Here you go Rum." She looks at it and grins, then runs off to talk to Li. On the tree stump where Flintjack was sitting when you met him is a genuine old world solar powered vehicle battery. It's fairly dull colored. He walks over to it and sets the bloody machete down nearby.

"It's in the shade for now, but - " he lifts it over to where some light is pouring through where they've cut a hole in the Forest, and suddenly the battery gains color. You see a rectangular symbol on it, partially green. "This thing was red when it didn't fill as much but now it seems to be becoming green. I guess if you keep it in a place sun can get to it should fill up?" He picks up some leaves and tries to use it to clean off his machete. "You wouldn't happen to know of anyone good with bikes in town by chance?" He looks at you, watching to see how you react to this item. What do you do?

Jayna: The three of you head back into town and split up as you go to Town Hall and Honeydew and Springheel go off to visit Flintjack. You get some looks as you enter the Hall, what with the various sap-fluids and gore on you but they let you in. You wait in the entrance for a few moments before Gnarly shows up. She looks you over, her eyes pausing on your mouth and the residue left on it, before saying "I trust things went well?" What do you do?

Honeydew: After Jayne leaves you two, you and Springheel head down towards where Flintjack and his gang live. Some of them waiting on the road stop you, but when you say you want to meet with Hemlock and Flintjack they talk to each other and then agree to escort the two of you to them. As they bring you to them, you see Hemlock and the giant man towering over her who you presume is Flintjack. What do you do?

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012


Jayna the Gunlugger
Cool +1 | Hard+2 | Hot -1| Sharp+1 |Wierd 0
Harm 0:00 | XP 0/5 | Armor 2 | Barter 1

"Pistolpines have been removed, so I'll take the pay we agreed to now. "

I grin at Gnarly and wait.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.


Honeydew
Cool +3 | Hard-1 | Hot +1 | Sharp+1 | Wierd 0
Harm 0:00 | XP 4/5 | Armor 1 | Barter 3


I played along with Flintjack's cronies. Better I get an idea of numbers and weaponry and where they were keeping this solar cell before I tried anything funny. As they brought us in, I wanted to glance around and get a feel for the place but...drat.

"Let me guess. You're Flintjack?" I stood, hands on my hips, looking up at a giant. "What the gently caress do they feed you?"

Normally I didn't go in for planning ahead. I trusted my instincts and my skills to see me through. But if Hemlock still wanted that battery? I'd need to come up with something really clever. This half ton bastard could probably tear my limbs off with one hand if he got worked up about it.

"...I like your coat."

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Jayna: Gnarly rings a bell, and down comes Jackabaka, holding several metallic tokens of Tref Maer currency. He glares you at you with disgust.

"Jayna. Reduced to killing trees, not people huh? Good." What the hell happened between the two of you that makes him hate you this much? He practically throws the tokens at you. "Thankfully, we can handle our own problems. Might have to look elsewhere if the old bloodlust is acting up."

Gnarly pays no attention to this and says "Everything accounted for? Anything you'd like to bring up or is everything fine?"

You gain 3 Barter

What do you do?

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012


Jayna the Gunlugger
Cool +1 | Hard+2 | Hot -1| Sharp+1 |Wierd 0
Harm 0:00 | XP 0/5 | Armor 2 | Barter 4

I listen to Jackabaka's words with a bit of embarrassment, the first time I met The Mayor, he made me prove myself. Jackabaka was the guy I had to beat. I'll admit, I probably could have beaten him without him losing his left leg below the knee, but I got a bit caught up in the moment as Pops used to say. That hate of his is righteous, and still going strong. Can't say I blame him.

"Hi Jack. " is all I say, I mean it's not like I can give him back his leg.

I pocket the tokens and smile at Gnarly, "Everything's good on my end. Be seein' you."

Leaving The Mayor's office, I'll head over to Sweet Lou's Bathhouse to relax and get clean.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Hemlock, the Savvyhead
Cool -1 | Hard =0 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 2/5 | Armor: 1 | Barter: 5

I know the score, you don't want to look too excited at whatever poo poo they're foisting on you, but holy poo poo! A working solar battery. What are the fuckin' chances, eh? I brush a finger across it and say, "drat, good find. Y'ever get anything else like that, hit me up. I can do bike work, customs, whatever." A beat. "I guess there's a few wrench jockeys in town proper, but none of 'em are as good as me. If you want someone permanent, maybe look them up. If you're fine with freelance, I can do the work just fine."

I raise a hand as Honeydew approaches, "Hey, 'Dew. The gently caress happened to you?"

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Hemlock: Flintjack smiles. "I had a feeling you'd like it." He notices Honeydew and Flintjack coming over and focus on them. What do you do?

Honeydew: As you walk through the camp, you see about two dozen people are here. They've just got leathers or basic armor, but they do have dangerous weaponry on them.

Flintjack's gang is Small and has 1-armor, but they deal 3-Harm

As you speak, Flintjack turns his attention to you. "Yes, I am. Might I ask why you're here?" He looks at Springheel. "Why the two of you are here?"

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.


Honeydew
Cool +3 | Hard-1 | Hot +1 | Sharp+1 | Wierd 0
Harm 0:00 | XP 4/5 | Armor 1 | Barter 3


At Hemlock's comment, I gave a wry smile and jerked a thumb towards Springheel. "Wolf girl here's been draped in my hair the whole walk back so I've got pistol pine all over me."

Returning my gaze to Flintjack, I refused to let superior numbers or huge size intimidate me. "I'm stopping by see how my friend was doing. Offer a hand if need be. If you have a problem with that, blame your boys and girls for pointing me in this direction. Personally? I think you should thank them. I'm between jobs right now and unlike Mice and his Butcher Boys, you look like someone I might respect."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Hemlock, the Savvyhead
Cool -1 | Hard =0 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 2/5 | Armor: 1 | Barter: 5

I say, "Yeah, uh, that'd do it. Glad you didn't merk Springhill, she brings the good poo poo." Left unsaid, of course, was 'but I'd totally loving have understood, because drat she's crazy.'

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Honeydew: Flintjack grins. "Really? Well, I'll keep that in mind."

Hemlock Flintjack motions to the truck. "Rice can drive you to your home. I look forward to our next meeting."

Make one last post about what you do and the session end move

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.


Honeydew
Cool +3 | Hard-1 | Hot +1 | Sharp+1 | Wierd 0
Harm 0:00 | XP 4/5 | Armor 1 | Barter 3


"Please do keep it in mind. For now though, someone owes me a shower." I wrapped an arm around Springheel's neck, kindly, and made my way to the truck. Flintjack may not have been including the two of us in his offer of a ride but I was inviting myself along regardless.

"Hey, Hemlock. Who do I talk to for a hot bath, anyway? Been making do with Texture creek but this poo poo isn't going to wash out with cold water."

Honeydew plans to get a meal, wash up, and call it a day.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Hemlock, the Savvyhead
Cool -1 | Hard =0 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 2/5 | Armor: 1 | Barter: 5

I shrug, "It's not luxe, but I've got hot water back at my workshop and I'm sure I can find you something tub-shaped to fill."

I hike up and into the cab of the truck, my mind already pulling in all sorts of directions with all this gear for the launcher. I'm a little excited to see what speaks, how it all fits together, and, of course, to get that goddamn solar battery.

Honeydew gets the +1 Hx with Hemlock at the end of session.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


About three weeks pass, during which things seem to stay the same. Then two big things happen at almost at the same time.

First: Flintjack got his grenade launcher and used it on the Forgotten Stone Cafe. There were very few survivors and now Flintjack has control of the building like he wanted. The survivors remaining from Shi Shi's crew and customers are Dolma, Hatria, Jonsu, Lushan, Orson and her crew (who only survived because they were banned), and Tenzin. They've split up and began to do their own things. Who knows what will become of them now.

Second: Everyone had a dream about Hemlock and the forestry exosuit.

Hemlock, in your dream that machine woman continued to show you and the forestry exosuit off to that giant audience. It didn't take you long to realize that everyone else is that audience - you've had some people trying to come around and see what's up with it. How did you handle it? And how do you feel about Flintjack killing Shi Shi and most of the crew of the Forgotten Stone Cafe using the grenade launcher you built him?

Regardless, you have a problem. Shi Shi put the word out that he'd like the wires you wanted but when he heard about you working for Flintjack (he was always good about finding out things like this), he refused to give them to you. Then Flintjack killed him and took the Cafe - but the wires are probably around somewhere. Not in the Cafe...but maybe someone took advantage of the chaos during that time to take it for their own reasons? Or maybe even to stop you from being able to work on the exosuit. The number of people who want to come by to trade with you has dropped - Springheel, Royboy, and Exit haven't shown up with anything either.

Whatever you're doing, you're interrupted by knocking at the front of the tree. Followed very shortly by more knocks, as if you're already taking too long to get there. Maybe Royboy has work for you after all. What do you do?

Honeydew, in your dream the black sun shone its ugly light on a swarm of things taking the shape of Hemlock. She was building a machine, some kind of giant suit in which the things known as Hemlock could reside in and cut through other beings - chopping into them and spraying vermin and blood everywhere. You were not the only one watching. You were just one of many swarms looking on at this sight.

You also find yourself thinking about Springheel a lot. For some reason you have this odd desire to find her and see what she wants. What do you make of this? According to Tao some other people in town keep going off and talking to her, especially the woodcutters who were working on the route to Anvil.

You now have an infection clock, and it's starting out at 3:00. When you act on Springheel's orders you take +1 to any rolls you make in persuit of it.

Despite what he said earlier Flintjack hasn't really offered you anything yet. Perhaps he doesn't have any work that suits your talents? That might be why you find yourself talking to Boss Moss. He reached out to you, letting you know he'd like to talk about some work he has. Is that why you're meeting him today or is it something else? He's sitting behind a desk, cleaning his glasses as you enter. Off to the side, but watching what goes on are Twice and Foster. He looks up.

"Honeydew! Welcome, welcome. Have a seat." What do you do?

Jayna, in your dream you saw something that caught your attention. Hemlock, brighter then most people look in thermographic vision was next to some kind of machine that made her outine look like a dim stream of sunlight poking through the trees compared to an intense blinding lightbulb. Bright gouts of flame shot out from it, and you could see, all around you, the signature heat of people watching this with you.

Sometimes when you wake up you have the aftertaste of the pistopine's heart in your mouth and the moment when you, Honeydew, and Springheel shared it comes to mind. You have this odd desire to find out what she wants. What do you make of this?

You now have an infection clock, and it's starting out at 3:00. When you act on Springheel's orders you take +1 to any rolls you make in persuit of it.

Josiah sent some of his people to get you to come to Saint Luke's. Seems like he wants to discuss what happened when Honeydew and her friends took what you were supposed to be guarding. The people there seem a bit on edge, it took a while for the gates to open to you, people are muttering to each other and looking at you, and Josiah meets you on the entrance to the building with the fancy glass windows and pews. "After much work and prayer, we have found those responsible for the attack. But first I would like to discuss whatever this person who was in our dreams is building. Do you have any information on that, and do you believe it would be a threat to us here?" He begins to walk inside, holding the door open for you. What do you do?

Red in your dream Hemlock lead a convoy in some kind of giant armored suit that ripped through the Forest and left behind a potential path for bigger and wider roads. You were not the only one on the road, you saw all kinds of people driving beside you. Your passenger this time was a sickly looking man in leather, who grinned at you when you noticed him. "Seems like she's doing everyone a favor," he said. "Maybe you should see what you can do to help her out." He looked nothing like the other ghostly passengers you've had, almost as if he was an actual person catching a ride with you.

Crine is the person who often broadcasts out to whoever is listening. He tries various ways to get people interested, including playing music from the Golden Age that he's found - but that's to set up being able to get his rants out there. He switched from talking about the alien lifeforms creeping around various holds for nefarious reasons to Hemlock. When the radio's on and it's not music you hear him yelling at his listeners about the "maniac" making "war machines", banging on the table and urging anyone ("ANYONE!") who knows what that's about to contact him and talk about it on air.

Right now you're in the outskirts of Lana, a big sack of coffee beans ready to trade at The Forgotten Stone Cafe. You had business to the west of Lana actually for the past week. What was it? But while you were there Shi Shi wanted you to pick them up as you came back. He hires you for it because the person bringing it would have to drive around the road Flintjack and his gang set up and through the more dangerous parts of the Forest. Flintjack knows you help keep The Forgotten Stone Cafe supplied, so he and his gang like to take shots at you if you travel through the route they guard. But on your way to the main parts of Lana (maybe get something to eat or check your fuel before heading back to Tref Maer), as you slow down to twist and turn past the trees in your way you get...an odd sort of sensation. Like you're not the only one out here, and someone might be watching you. Do you want to read the situation?

Everyone pay 1 or 2 barter depending on your lifestyle

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012




Jayna the Gunlugger
Cool +1 | Hard+2 | Hot -1| Sharp+1 |Wierd 0
Harm 0:00 | XP 0/5 | Armor 2 | Barter 3 | Infection 3:00

Why do I keep waking up with the taste of that pine heart in my mouth. . . and thinking I should talk to Springheel again? Very wierd. Well nothing left but to see what Josiah wants, not sure what's going with his crew, but they aren't nearly as friendly as usual.

=============================================

I follow Josiah through the doors, I'm in luck the sun is breaking through the trees today, and I admire the blue and red colors in the windows. "Glad to see you Josiah, don't much like knowing that we are all sharing that dream. I'm not sure what the lady is building in her workshop, but I know she's a good one. What she is building is meant to help us, would be my guess. "

Jayna takes her customary seat near the altar, "Your flock is on edge, is it because of the dustup last month, the dreams, or something else?"

read a person result: 8, holding 1 for now. spent 1 barter for lifestyle.

Mykkel fucked around with this message at Oct 22, 2018 around 19:21

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.


Honeydew
Cool +3 | Hard-1 | Hot +2 | Sharp+1 | Wierd 0
Harm 0:00 | Infection 3:00 | XP 0/5 | Armor 1 | Barter 1


The world was growing stranger. Springheel was in my head, wrapped up in my hair and whispering in my ears, her mouth slick with blood. It wasn't alarming, merely...strange. Perhaps I should be worried but more than anything I wanted to know where this was leading. My poking around for information on Prim or Parsimony had come up empty so I needed something to distract me.

---

My eyes slid past the walking tank and a kid at that critical juncture of almost-adulthood, where his body was deciding if he was going to be handsome or not. Both people I hadn't met before, but I gave them a faint smile just the same. Boss Moss I knew, vaguely, by reputation. An important man locally with his fingers in a lot of pies, so I was quite interested in hearing what he had on offer.

"Mr. Moss. Thank you for the invitation." I offered a handshake before taking a seat, sitting prim and attentive. "How may I be of assistance to you today?" I let him take the lead in the conversation while I focused on his body language and the things he didn't say. As far as I knew we had no cause for quarrel, but that was no reason to simply assume he wasn't prepared to gently caress me over the first chance he got. A little paranoia was always healthy.

@Honeydew: 2d6+1 read a sitch = (3+5)+1 = 9
What should I be on the lookout for?

Honeydew will spend 2-barter for her lifestyle - primarily to ensure that she can acquire oils and soaps for her hair.

Shardix fucked around with this message at Oct 23, 2018 around 15:28

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Red, the Driver
Cool +2 | Hard =0 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird -1
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 1/5 | Armor: 0 | Barter: 3

Well, hell, that was... different. That man I saw in my dream, he was more like a real flesh and blood person than any of the other spirits I usually see. Wonder who that was? And I wonder what the whole deal with Hemlock was? Well, whatever it was, maybe I should take the mystery man's advice and go check on her now that I'm done with business here in Lana. I met up with the man Mama told me meet, and got the 'special package' from him- Some old, metal briefcase. Dunno what's in the briefcase, and honestly? It's none of my business anyways. Mama told me not to look at the briefcase, and when Mama tells you to do something, you do it, no questions asked.

Alright. First I'll grab a quick bite, then I'll head back, give Mama her package, hand the beans over to Shishi, then I'll go check up on Hemlock. Glad I got the radio to keep me company while I'm out on the road. Most folk can't stand Crine, but me? I think he's a riot! I can't get enough of his crazy conspiracy talk, and I gotta admit, for a loon, he's got some killer choice in music.

...'Course, I'm not really paying much attention to whatever he's ranting about now. I thought I was alone on the road, but it looks like I'm not. There's someone else around, and they're watching me, and in my experience, that can't be good. I scan the area around me, looking for any signs of my mystery stalker.

quote:

@Red: 2d6+1 Read a sitch = (3+4)+1 = 8

Asking: What should I be on the lookout for?

I'm also spending 1-barter on my lifestyle.

quote:

Name: Red
Player: Hugzilla
Playbook: Driver
Look: Woman, leather ware, gorgeous face, cool eyes, slim body

Stats
Cool +2
Hard =0
Hot +1
Sharp +1
Weird -1

Car (My bike, Betsy)
Frame: Bike (massive=0, 1 battle option)
Strengths: Fast, Responsive
Looks: Sleek, vintage
Weaknesses: Guzzler, rabbity
Battle Options: +1 speed

Moves
Reputation: when you meet someone important (your call), roll+cool. On a hit, they’ve heard of you, and you say what they’ve heard; the MC has them respond accordingly. On a 10+, you take +1 forward for dealing with them as well. On a miss, they’ve heard of you, but the MC decides what they’ve heard.
Daredevil: If you go straight into danger without hedging your bets, you get +1 armor. If you happen to be leading a gang or convoy, it gets +1 armor too.

Gear
• magnum (3-harm close reload loud)
• oddments worth 4-barter
• fashion suitable to your look

Driver Special
If you and another character have sex, roll+cool. On a 10+, it’s cool, no big deal. On a 7–9, give them +1 to their Hx with you on their sheet, but give yourself -1 to your Hx with them on yours. On a miss, you gotta go: take -1 ongoing, until you prove that it’s not like they own you or nothing.

Hx:
• Which one of you once got me out of some serious poo poo? For that character, write Hx+1. Hemlock
• Which one of you has been with me for days on the road? For that character, write Hx+2. Jayna
• Which one of you have I caught sometimes staring out at the horizon? For that character, write Hx+3. Honeydew
For everyone else, write Hx-1. You aren’t naturally inclined to get too close to too many people.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Hemlock, the Savvyhead
Cool -1 | Hard =0 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 2/5 | Armor: 1 | Barter: 4

Alright, yeah, things have been a little hosed up since the trade went through. I mean, sure, I was a little mad when the bad juice sent me on a helluva trip, but I guess I never though that, y'know, people would die. Not my people, sure, but people. And I'm a little disappointed that the wires didn't come through. Not like I can really expect much in terms of that, what with how things went down, but I guess I'll need to check in with Flintjack and anyone that survived. A little jingle can go a long way to soothing hurt feelings.

Speaking of, what a loving weird dream. People know about the suit, now, and I'm not sure what the gently caress caused it. Or why, for that matter. All I know is that it's been making business a little scant. Might need to take Flintjack up on that bike job just to get some decent goddamn parts around here, what with everyone else fuckin' off outta nowhere.

As the knocks start, I make my way over to the door and holler, "I'm comin', I'm comin'. Hold your horses." A moment longer, just to keep 'em on their toes, then I flip the hatch open to see who's out there. "Whatcha need?"

Spending 1-barter on lifestyle.

Tricky fucked around with this message at Oct 22, 2018 around 20:45

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Red: You look around, and for a brief instance hear a rustle in the trees above. When you look up, you see a camoflauged person, who is slowly making a pointing gesture at you. The kind of gesture that most likely means, "Take the shot." There's more people out here who have spotted you it seems, and you have just a moment to do something about it. What do you do?

Hemlock: Waiting just makes the knocking come faster until you open the hatch. It's Royboy, who grins when he sees you. He's also looking a bit more disheveled and dirty then normal. "Hey Hemlock! Long time. Anyway so I got a deal for you. You're working on that weird thingamajig right? So you probably need, like, parts or whatever? So...my truck? It has stuff in there you could I'm sure." Royboy is not only offering to sell you his truck, but he's willing to let you take it apart? Something strange is going on. What do you do?

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Red, the Driver
Cool +2 | Hard =0 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird -1
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 2/5 | Armor: 0 | Barter: 3

Aw, isn't that sweet? They're trying to ambush me. Well, if they want to get me, then they've got to catch me, first!

I rev up Betsy, and blast off at full speed, weaving my way through the trees. Let's see 'em get a shot in when they can't get a proper bead on me!

@Red: 2d6+3 Moving Quickly Under Pressure = (4+1)+3 = 8

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Hemlock, the Savvyhead
Cool -1 | Hard =0 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 2/5 | Armor: 1 | Barter: 4

That poo poo brings me up short. I say, "Uh, y'sure about that? I'd swear to whatever the hell was up there that you were married to that rig." I think about it for a bit, then say, "Y'wanna come in and tell me what this is really about?"

quote:

SidekickBOTToday at 7:14 AM
@Hemlock: 2d6+1 Read Royboy = (2+3)+1 = 6

What is your character really feeling?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Jayna: "The dream made everyone here worry. Those on the outside are all too willing to take what we've built here. But if you say this woman is trying to help that's one less thing for us to keep an eye on."

"As for what happened last month, that is also on people's minds. But we're going to solve it. Looks like some bandits out in the Forest are responsible. Their fool leader Mice came around, offering their services for guarding our trades in the future. We've tracked them to their camp. I'll send people with you, but you'll be doing most of the work. My men will form a circle around them. If any of them escape you, they'll take care of them." He looks at you with a fierce and determined look in his eyes. "We will remove these sinners from the world." What do you do?

Honeydew: "Well, things have certainly gone in an unexpected direction recently what with Hemlock deciding to give Flintjack new weaponry. I was planning on meeting with Shi Shi and discussing joining together. But sometimes you got to make do what with you have. Luckily two of those kids who make the Sap survived. Unluckily they're out in the Forest and in hiding. Could be dangerous out there. I just need you to...well, show them that danger. Don't hurt them, but I've made it known they can come here for safety if they're willing to make the Sap for me. Give them that motivation. I have a lead for you if you're interested in the job." Watching Moss throughout his talk, you see his eyes occasionally glance over to Foster. Considering he wants to trick the siblings into working for him, refusing the job now that he's told you means he'll have to make sure you don't tell them. What do you do?

Red: You rev the engine and move a little bit out of the way, the gunshot hitting the tree where you were, but are forced to hesitate for a a moment to find a good spot to speed through - and that's when you feel someone land on the back of your bike. You speed off by instinct, swerving through trees and hear the sound of other motorcycles coming closer.

"Stop the bike," you hear your passenger say. What do you do?

Hemlock: "Uh...I just need some money? And...I figured you could use it? Because I'm not going to need it anymore." He seems certain in what he's saying and yet the pauses indicate it's like he's following someone else's orders but isn't aware of it. He does want jingle, but he's not 100% sure why he needs it.

He looks back at you and sees the worry on your face. "I'm fine. So you gonna take it or...?" He's watching you back. What do you do?

Royboy holds 3 on you and spends 1 to ask "What do you intend to do?"

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.


Honeydew
Cool +3 | Hard-1 | Hot +2 | Sharp+1 | Wierd 0
Harm 0:00 | Infection 3:00 | XP 0/5 | Armor 1 | Barter 1


I was certain I had misheard him. But no, the way he shot a look over to his gunlugger said he was entirely serious. Well. If he wanted to shovel jingle into my bag just to go lean on some terrified day laborers, far be it for me to turn him down. Sitting back, I crossed my legs and folded my hands while I favored Boss Moss with a predatory grin.

"I definitely think we can do business, Mr. Moss. I'll need names and descriptions along with that lead you mentioned. Will I be on any particular schedule? I do aim to be punctual as a matter of course, but if you have a timetable you're working from that will be useful for me to know."

My posture did not change, but abruptly my smile turned off. "I trust you will, of course, ignore any pleas from this pair to seek vengeance on their behalf once all is said and done." It was not a request; merely a statement of fact that everyone in this room would do well not to forget.

Shardix fucked around with this message at Oct 24, 2018 around 04:31

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Honeydew: "Of course." He looks at Foster once more, and she relaxes her grip on the shotgun. "Dolma is the older one, she wears a blue coat and green cap. Scar on an eyebrow and mole on her cheek. Carries a bow and arrow. I've heard she's pretty good with it. Tenzin is her brother, wears a red coat and carries blades around. Has tattoos of some kind of snake on his face. I'd prefer you get on it as soon as possible, I'd like to get them here before someone else gets this idea.

As for your lead, funny thing - before the Forgotten Stone Cafe got destroyed, Hail Mary was able to get Sap outside of it. And he still has constant access to it. Get him to tell you where they are." There's a bit of silence before Twice clears his throat.

"What about Madame Weevil?"

"Hmm? Oh right. Hail Mary works for her and is one of the more high end workers, try not to do anything permanent or she might get upset at you." Twice watches you, but neither Moss nor Foster seem to really notice that. What do you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.


Honeydew
Cool +3 | Hard-1 | Hot +2 | Sharp+1 | Wierd 0
Harm 0:00 | Infection 3:00 | XP 0/5 | Armor 1 | Barter 1


I nodded as Boss Moss laid out what he knew, filing away the details. It seemed straightforward enough which meant this was probably going to end in a colossal pounding headache for me.

At his mention of Madam Weevil I did my best to keep from making my annoyance apparent. I was a professional. Words, fists, blade, gun. In that order, whenever possible. Not out of some misguided sense of benevolence but simple pragmatism. You start killing people, you have to bury them. That's a half hour, forty-five minutes worth of digging. And who knows who's gonna come along in that time? Pretty soon, you gotta dig a few more holes. You could be there all loving night. Besides, pimps and madams were notoriously vindictive. I cross Weevil and she'd hurt me in the only way I would care about. Not that I would let Boss Moss see me sweat about it.

Catching sight of Twice watching me, I gave him a flirty wink while silently mouthing nothing in particular. Let that catch in his mind and fester for a while. He'd drive himself up a wall trying to figure out what I meant. Before I could be called out on it, I returned my attention to the man in charge. "Since you want this done politely, I'll require reimbursement for Hail Mary's time on top of my normal fee. Once you are satisfied the job was completed as requested, Mr. Twice there can deliver my payment at a discreet time and place to be decided. It certainly wouldn't do for your new employees to find they'd been gulled."

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«12 »