Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew
Cool +3 | Hard-1 | Hot +2 | Sharp+1 | Wierd 0
Harm 0:00 | Infection 3:00 | XP 3 /5 | Armor 1 | Barter 0

I wasted no time. As Foster recoiled, I let reflex and instinct take over. Rolling backwards, I grabbed at anything near at hand, hurling it towards Foster to keep her distracted before she could recover her composure. Meanwhile, my off hand was filled with the reassuring heft of one of my pistols, and I let it bark twice in succession.

@Honeydew: 2d6+3 Go Aggro = (3+4)+3 = 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Jayna: "Would you really fight me for trying to help you? For this?" She motions to Kettle, and the rest of the Butcher Boys. "You have already killed so many, why is it any different now?" What do you do?

Honeydew: For a second Moss just stands there like nothing happened. Then he falls backward clutching his stomach. Twice looks horrified, yelling "Dad? DAD?" Foster recovers from the distraction and leaps to where you tossed the shotgun earlier. What do you do?

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

I sprang to my feet, wincing slightly at the pain in my throat. She hadn't had her hands wrapped around me that long but drat. She has a grip like a hydraulic press. As Foster sprang for her shotgun, I watched carefully, my own weapon held loosely at my side. What a dumb, stupid mess. I glanced at Twice just to reassure myself he wasn't pulling a gun himself before returning my focus to the real threat. I raised my pistol just to have it trained in her general direction. I wasn't aiming for anything in particular just yet.

"He's been gut shot and I might have hit his spine." I idly played with an errant strand of hair, unmoved by the sounds of a man dying badly on the other side of the office. "Decision time Foster. Avenge him, or try to save his life? Out of fairness I'll warn you: If you try to avenge him, Twice over there gets shot next."

@Honeydew: 2d6+2 Manipulate Foster = (5+4)+2 = 11

Shardix fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 15, 2018

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Jayna the Gunlugger
Cool +1 | Hard+2 | Hot -1| Sharp+1 |Wierd 0
Harm 0:00 | XP 4/5 | Armor 2 | Barter 3 | Infection 3:00

"Mother, I don't want to fight you. Yeah, we killed a lot of folks today, but we don't have to kill Kettle or the rest. We patch them up, they help us fight back against the forest. That cross you're wearing, Pops taught me that it used to be a symbol of mercy. Maybe it can be again today?"

I look from her to the rest of Josiah's boys, can't tell if what I'm saying is being understood.

rolled a 4 on Manipulation. Marking experience. Poor Kettle, I hardly knew you.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Red, the Driver
Cool +3 | Hard =0 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird -1
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 1/5 | Armor: 0 | Barter: 3

"Hey-HEY!" I raise up my voice so it doesn't get drowned out by the chainsaw revving up, "IF YOU WANT TO COME IN SO BAD, YOU CAN JUST COME IN THROUGH THE FRONT DOOR! IT'S NOT EVEN LOCKED!" Does she really have to make such a racket? Sheesh.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Honeydew: Foster glares at you. "Get out." What do you do?

Jayna: "Mercy is for those who deserve it. Who here deserves it?" She looks around. "Perhaps you'd like to decide? Pick three of our foes here. They can live to work for Saint Luke's. The rest will go on to face God's judgement." Looking at the rest of Josiah's men, you can see that while they're not thrilled about what's going on they'll support Mother Superior over the Butcher Boys if it comes down to it. What do you do?

Red: The chainsaw is still roaring, but you hear it get pulled away from the tree. "REALLY?" The door opens and Joe's Girl walks in with the chainsaw still on. "THIS BETTER NOT BE SOME KIND OF TRICK OR HOLY poo poo" she says as she enters and sees Hemlock's body, the medical supplies around it, and the pool of blood that has formed. She looks back at you, chainsaw in hand. What do you do?

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Jayna the Gunlugger
Harm 0:00 | XP 5/5 | Armor 2 | Barter 3 | Infection 3:00

drat it Mother, why couldn't you see reason. Pretty sure Josiah's going ot be pissed off with me after today, but if I back down now, not sure I'll be able to sleep well ever again.

"Which part of I'm in charge, did you not get" I yell as I slap Mother. I stare at the rest of Josiah's men, "Patch them up, or you all will need patching up."

rolled a 9 for Go Aggro (or Seize by force, not sure which roll is more appropriate for trying to bully Mother) either way that puts me at 5 exp, I'll pick a move after this is resolved.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

I watched Foster for a long moment before holstering my weapon. I stepped past her towards the door, sparing a glance towards Moss. The urge to draw my pistols and ensure he never troubled me again was oh so tempting but I'd given my word.

"Dogs of war like us deserve better masters than this. Twice, become worthy of a woman like this." I cocked my head at Foster and vanished through the door. I didn't dawdle, but neither did I start running. Let Moss' people see me walk out of here, let them learn what happened, and let them fear the person confident enough to have done it and thought nothing of it.

Honeydew will hold to her end of the deal and get gone. Off to see Springheel; Honeydew has put that off long enough. Too bad she's a little bit late.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Honeydew: You head out into the Forest and weirdly it's like you just know where to go. There's nothing that shows up or gets in your way, and you eventually find an open clearing in the Forest...and see blood on the grass and several of the trees. Two bodies are there, and there's a third one that might take you a moment to recognize without most of her head - Springheel. What do you do?

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

I knelt and pulled a blade from my boot, just in case whoever or whatever had done this was still around. This really was a day for unceasing problems and attendant headaches.

Poor Springheel. I wasn't really given to sentimentality but she hadn't done me any wrong. She had been all kinds of strange, sure, but she hadn't done me wrong. That she had been so incredibly fascinated with my hair had also been very flattering.

What happened to you, Springheel? Was this some trouble of your own that finally caught up with you? Or did you get mixed up in someone's vendetta against me or Jayna and had the poor luck of being seen with us?

...I didn't want to do this. The Maelstrom was not my home, however much it may wish to keep me. Sometimes, though, the desire for an answer was just too strong.

To nothing and nobody in particular, I whispered "Show me" and dropped my mental guard.

@Honeydew: 2d6+0 open my brain to the Maelstrom = (1+2)+0 = 3
Honeydew will open her mind to the Maelstrom in the hopes that it will show her what happened to Springheel

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Honeydew: You see a lone bug crawling, scuttling around. The ugly light which you normally see isn't around. It stops, and you watch as tiny little trees grab it and begin to pierce the head, exposing the brain. The branches dance around, stroking and poking and grabbing various bits of the brain and the bug responds. It walks out of the darkness and to other bugs. It stops by and as it does the branches grow and pierce into the rest of the bugs. They begin following it around. Then something crushes the original bug and the rest scatter - but the branches are still in them.

You come back to your senses to the scene at hand. What do you do?

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

I stood, dazed, as I watched the vision unfold. It took me a moment to fully realize the implications of what I saw, and when it finally clicked I could not help but laugh. I laughed until my sides hurt and my legs collapsed out from under me. My stomach roiled and rebelled, emptying itself into the dirt and I realized my laughter had faded into horrified whimpers. I had always held myself apart. An unrelated symptom of the world-that-was. That the Forest had its tendrils in my mind was a profound invasion. Akin to the discovery of a malignant little stranger growing in my breast.

I had more than let my guard down. I had invited into myself something I did not understand and did not want to understand. I abandoned myself to the horror, letting it play out. Getting the panic and fear over with so I could think again. Once it ran its course, I stood and brushed myself off. I dried my eyes and took a drink from my canteen, reasserting control over myself. I was not happy about this but at present there was nothing to be done. I couldn't even be sure there was any detrimental effect to be concerned about - yet. I would simply have to stay on my guard and be attentive to thoughts that were not strictly my own.

Once I felt myself again (more or less), I mumbled a half-remembered prayer over Springheel and the other two unfortunate souls bodies and began the walk back to Tref Maer.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Jayna: Mother Superior walks forward as you swing your gun into her face. You bash it onto her nose, and blood flows out. But she just continues to move, and points her magnum at Kettle. "Fine. If you want to be foolish you can. But we helped you, so give me him." You'd think it would give her pause or cause her to slow down, especially with the wound to her leg but she doesn't seem to care about getting hit in the face or the blood slowly dripping on her clothes.

"Josiah put you in charge for now but we are not yours," Chaplain says. "We'll patch them up like you want, just give her what she wants so we can move on. Do anything else to her or us and Josiah will hear about it." The rest of them are watching, ready in case you start firing. What do you do?

Honeydew: It's a long walk back to Treaf Maer and to the Forgotten Stone Cafe. You're let in after the people watching the entrance decide you're not a threat. Flintjack is sitting at a table, chunks of wood nearby. He's doing some woodcarving - although if the lumps of past efforts nearby are any indication he's not good at it. He looks up. "Ah, Hemlock's friend. What brings you here?" What do you do?

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Jayna the Gunlugger
Harm 0:00 | XP 5/5 | Armor 2 | Barter 3 | Infection 3:00

Well one for the rest is a decent trade. I look at Keller and frown. “Needs of the many you know. “

I nod to chaplain and Mother. “ deal. “

I can live with the bargain, get these folks patched up, and I can find Springherl and Hemlock to figure out why their in my mind and dreams.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Red, the Driver
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 1/5 | Armor: 0 | Barter: 3

"Whoa whoa whoa! This is totally what not it looks like!" I raise my hands up in a placating gesture, trying to calm the situation down, although my hands being all bloody might make that a little hard, "She was like this when I got here, alright? I tried to help, but it didn't go so well, so, uh, can you put the chainsaw down?" I offer her my best innocent smile, "Please?"

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

"I try to give everyone a fair chance. You blowing up Shi-Shi and his bar? I wasn't inside it at the time, so it makes no nevermind to me." I gave an exaggerated shrug. I sauntered over and scooped up one of the discarded woodcarving attempts, eyeballing it. "You are a gentlemen with definite plans. I've got a plan of my own, and I'd like to be able to call upon you and your men when the time comes. I'm willing to put in the work to earn that favor."

Prim was a weasel. Slippery when the noose tightened. Making some friends here could help me out in the long run. Even if Prim wasn't in the area, Flintjack and his crew could serve as extra eyes and ears for me. I could be patient. Prim would get his sooner or later - it was only a matter of time.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Jayna: "Wait wait wait-" Kettle tries to say before Mother Superior fires a shot into his arm. He screams in pain and she just watches. It takes quite a while for him to die, and his howls of agony cast a shadow over the efforts of you and the rest of Josiah's men. Some of the Butcher Boys still die to their wounds, but you're able to save the rest.

Red: Joe's Girl begins to look around. "I'M GOING TO LOOK FOR THE WAR MACHINE," she yells over the chainsaw. "I DON'T CARE WHAT ELSE YOU DO HERE." She backs away, making sure you don't try to attack or pull out your gun. Hemlock is dead and news of that will probably get out once Joe's Girl leaves. But right now the two of you are the only ones who know. What do you do?

Honeydew: "Interesting," Flintjack says. He continues to his attempt on the current bit of wood, deep in thought for a while. "I've lived a little outside Tref Mear until recently. I know Mayor isn't the biggest fan of me but I provide a fairly valuable service. But now that Shi Shi is gone, who knows what the other business people here will do? Weevil, Moss, Mama...they all have the ear of Mayor and I don't. And they're not happy with me moving in." A large chunk of wood gets sheared off, far more then he intended. "drat it. Anyway, you seem like the sort who can do the infiltration bit. Can you find out what Mayor's planning? It'd do me good to know if I'm onto something or just being paranoid." What do you do?

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

"I wouldn't worry about Moss very much. I shot him in the guts a while ago after he sicced his dog on me. Even if he lives, I doubt he'll be bringing his A-game anytime soon." I tossed the scrap of wood over my shoulder. "As for watching the mayor? Yeah. I'll see what I can dig up for you."

I watched Flintjack for a moment longer, until I couldn't hold my tongue any more. "Relax your wrist and take just a little off at a time. Treat the wood like a lover, not a victim."

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Red, the Driver
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 2/5 | Armor: 0 | Barter: 3

Hey, wait, now that I've gotten a closer look at Joe's Girl, why does she seem so familiar? Have I met her somewhere else before?

Oh! Now I remember! She's the woman who supplies Mama with all those weapons and other stuff! I can't let her leave and tell folks that I killed Hemlock, it would be bad for my reputation, so I should try convincing her that I didn't do it. "Hey! Would you mind turning off that chainsaw so we can talk properly for a second!?" Whether she does or not, I continue talking, "Listen, I know how this looks, but I want to make this clear; Whatever happened here, I didn't cause it. I'm Red, Mama's right hand gal," if she know Mama, then she should know me, and she should know that, for all my crazy stunts, killing someone in cold blood is something I never do, "Hemlock was in a bad place when I got here. I tried to help, but, well..." I tilt my head at her lifeless body, "Look, just don't go spreading around that I was the one who did it, y'hear? It'd be bad for mine- and Mama's- reputation," and she should know that Mama's not the person you ever want to get on the bad side with.

quote:

@Red: 2d6+3 reputation = (6+2)+3 = 11

Reputation: when you meet someone important (your call), roll+cool. On a hit, they’ve heard of you, and you say what they’ve heard; the MC has them respond accordingly. On a 10+, you take +1 forward for dealing with them as well. On a miss, they’ve heard of you, but the MC decides what they’ve heard.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Jayna: You go back to Saint Luke's, and talk to Josiah. He just nods when you talk about having to gun down most of the Butcher Boys. "I'm afraid this is must what happen in this fallen world." He gives you your payment.

You gain 3 barter

On the way out, you notice the survivors waiting for you. "We could be of use to you," says Visage. They look at the rest of the Boys, who give encouraging nods. "We don't have anywhere to go, we can work for you. Whatever you want done, we'll do." Seems like you have a gang of your own now. They follow you back to Tref Maer, and begin discussing where to live and getting more people. Anything you want them to do or will you let them handle it themselves?

Honeydew: Flintjack grins when you talk about shooting Moss. "Really?" He already seems happy about that. He takes a new bit of wood and begins to carve it. "Seems like things are already looking up for me." He doesn't say anything in response to your advice, but he is going slower this time. What do you plan on doing to gather information from Mayor?

Red: "WAIT REALLY?! Joe's Girl yells over the chainsaw. She shuts it off. "SURE OKAY-uh," she adjusts her voice to reflect that lack of a loud chainsaw. "Yeah okay. I'm going to talk to Crine about the war machine but I'll leave you out." She looks around. "You know, we could take this stuff back to Mama. It's gotta be worth a bunch right?" The two of you load up what you can in Royboy's truck after getting the keys off Hemlock's body and bring it to Mama. She's real glad when she learns of the opportunity, although you think Scrap might be even happier to get her hands on this stuff. She's not really sad about Hemlock getting killed, but that's probably to be expected. She sends some more people to get everything they can out of Hemlock's workshop and gives you and Joe's Girl pay.

Mama will give you 3 barter for the job and supplies

"Great work Red." You can see she's real happy with you. What do you go and do?

Since the three of you didn't interact this session, I'll say the Hx increase/decrease will reflect who you spend time with or distance yourself from in between this session and the next. Say who you meet up with or run into or whatever, and how Hx adjusts.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

Find out what sort of whispers were being dripped into the Mayor's ear, huh? Yeah, I could do that. Turn up the charm, play the role of desperately broke young woman who just needed a chance to make her bones in this hold. Admittedly, the desperately broke part was apt to become true if I didn't find paying work soon. This job for Flintjack was likely to be much too much of a long term venture to put jingle in my bag anytime soon.

In the meantime, maybe Red would be in town soon. It had been a long while since we'd seen each other, and she was always good company for drinking and raising hell.

Honeydew intends to arrange an appointment with the Mayor, and ingratiate herself to him however she can. She'll need a day or two to get a sense of his personality and what approach will best convince him to trust her and permit her within his circle, after which she'll zero in to secure the kill. So to speak.

She will also meet up with Red, drink to excess, and get reacquainted with the driver. Hx will shift to +2

Shardix fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 28, 2018

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Jayna the Gunlugger
Harm 0:00 | XP 0/5 | Armor 2 | Barter 6 | Infection 3:00

I'll ask Visage and the others to keep an eye out for Springheel. As far as where to live and getting more people, I'll leave that to them.

I'm going to spend 2 barter to splurge on a good bath, and some alcohol, I need not remember what happened in the grove for a bit.

I'm going to assume that Jayna couldn't find Honeydew before rumors of what happened with the Butcher Boys got to her, so shifting HX with her by -1 to -3

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Red, the Driver
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 3/5 | Armor: 0 | Barter: 6

On any other day, I'd be celebrating on a job well done, but today? I don't feel much like celebrating. I tried- and failed- to save someone I considered a friend, and I just feel like forgetting about the whole drat day now, so when Honeydew came to me, and asked me if I wanted to get some drinks with her, I couldn't say "yes" fast enough. Anything to keep my mind off things.

Red is going to meet with Honeydew, and get totally wasted with her. Hx resets back to +1 with her, and I gain XP.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Another three weeks pass, and news of Hemlock's death spreads. There's a mix of reactions, between people glad that the person behind whatever it was will never see her plan come to life and people who used her services that either have to go furthur to Baba or rely on less skilled people. Crine gleefully takes credit, saying he's glad he was able to get the warning out. Joe's Girl came on his show and talked about the machine and Hemlock dying in her home.

Boss Moss died shortly after the shootout, and his son Twice is now leading the cartel. They're trying to deal with a new gang, under Jayna, who have begun to sell Sap again. So far the two are just competing with each other, but who knows what will happen soon.

Baba: What do you make of the death of Hemlock? She worked with machinery like you and you had that dream about her work on the forestry exosuit. And where do you plan on testing the dirt that can keep the Forest at bay? But when you head back to your workshop, you hear the sound of people inside and things being knocked over. When you enter you see Dog Head and Orson in heavy armor taking your weird devices. You remember Orson being a leader of a hack-crew but seems she gave it up to join with Jayna.

"This poo poo has to be worth something," Dog Head says before he notices you coming in. "Hey Baba," he says very smugly, as if he's sure you're not going to do anything. What trouble has he given you in the past? What do you do?

Honeydew: During the past few weeks, you keep thinking of Springheel and finding her, even though you know she's dead - and it keeps popping into your mind even though you know what's going on.

Your infection clock increases to 6:00. When you act against the leader, take -1.

You spent the last couple of weeks getting close to Mayor. He was pretty happy to have you around, especially when he picked up that you're desperate and relying on him - or so you lead him to think. He keeps talking about how if you prove your loyalty he'll be glad to reward you for it.

@Honeydew: 2d6+3 Act Under Fire vs Mayor = (1+6)+3 = 10

You're also able to keep any of the important people from noticing you or putting two and two together. Madame Weevil just talks about business and she does bring up Flintjack but more in a "how will this affect things" manner - you get the idea she's not really eager to act against him or back any plans. You have to rely on overhearing the conversations between Twice and Mayor, and he's definitely mad at you. Even if Moss was planning something Twice has probably abandoned those plans. Mama though. She talks to Mayor about the danger Flintjack brings to Tref Maer, citing Jayna's gang as how things will end up if people like them continue to stay. Mama talks about how she's getting some weaponry from Anvil and could lend it to Mayor's army if he wants to take action. He tells her he'll think about it, but to go ahead and get the weaponry anyway.

Thing is, you've learned a bit about Mayor. He told Madame Weevil he's not going to do anything to upset business, told Twice that things might be changing, and told Mama if things got bad he'd gladly support her. You get the idea this man could say the Forest is no longer outside Tref Maer in the same way he'd say the sky is blue.

When you read Mayor, you can not ask “Is your character telling the truth?”

When you told Flintjack what the three of them were saying to Mayor he said "Thanks for completing the job and not shooting me" in a joking manner, but seems to be considering his next move. He did pay you the agreed amount too. You gain 3 barter

As you step outside of the former Forgotten Stone Cafe, you see Tao waiting for you. He's just looking at you, not saying anything. What do you do?

Jayna: Your gang grew. Seeing that you were accepting new members, a lot of people who survived the recent violence in Tref Maer joined up. You even have Shi Shi's people. In fact, Dolma and Tenzin moved back into town since the rest of the group was getting back together and they continue to make Sap under their protection. They even have a building they live in and have people take Sap in. Hatira got picked up by Mama, who put her in charge of a distillery she was planning on using to have Hatira make booze. Except that once Hatira found out the band was getting back together she worked with them to take it over and fought off Mama's people. They're making good money but Mama is not happy with you to say the least. In the meantime, you start feeling strange. Some of the people in town said that Hemlock went after Springheel and killed her so meeting with her isn't going to happen anymore. But you still have this weird desire to find her and see what she wants.

Your infection clock increases to 6:00. When you act against the leader, take -1.

Walking up to you right now is Dustwich, one of Mama's people. She looks like she's determined to do her job even if it requires going up to the incredibly armed and dangerous woman who recently aquired a heavily armored gang. "Mama wants to speak with you. Now." What do you do?

Red: When Jayna's gang took over Mama's distillary, who died in the attack and what did they do for Mama? She's told you not to do anything or buy anything from Jayna and her people until this matter is solved. That means alcohol, since Hatira was in charge of making it.

Where are you at right now? Gladd walks up to you, looking desperate. "You're the person who'll drive anywhere right? I need your help." Have you met him before? What do you do?

Everyone pay for your lifestyle.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew
Harm 0:00 | Infection 6:00 | XP 3 /5 | Armor 1 | Barter 0

I matched Tao's gaze, hands clasped behind me as I stood at parade rest. I held out as long as I could...but eventually I flinched. Tao could stare down the sun if he wanted too. I swaggered over to him and smiled.

"Hey Tao. Been a while. I found him." My face warped into a vicious sneer as I dropped formalities. "My girl Red got jumped by Prim and some new bunch if idiots he scraped together. This is our chance. I can have twenty hard cases backing us up if you like. Hunt him down like a dog." I giggled involuntarily and hated myself for it.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Baba
Cool +1 | Hard -1 | Hot=0 | Sharp+1 | Weird+2 |
Harm 0:00 | 1/5 XP| Armor: 1| Barter 6

I've been around for a long while, sonny, and if there is one lesson that I picked up after years and years spent eking out an existance in this spittoon of a world, it's this: don't get attached. By the time you'll be as old as me, you'll have seen people, things, even hardholds and projects, come and go and end up in the ground with lead in their ribcages and roots growing through their skulls. Before Washing, there was Haven; and before Hemlock, there were Greyo, Twins, Wolfsbane, Corynth, Lariat. You can't afford to tie your heart to every single one of them. Each will rip off a piece of you when they go, and the goddamn trees will eat them up and suck up the bits of your heart, too.

What I'm getting as is, it's a shame about what happened to that Hemlock girl. She seemed to have a good head on her shoulders, and that exosuit she was working on was promising. But I'm not going to lose sleep over it, either. I get precious enough of that as it is. I ought to consider checking out her shed, see if there is anything worthwhile to ransack that hasn't been picked clean by the jackals already.

I'm distracted from my grim thoughts by the sound of uninvite guests rummaging through my shack. Speaking of jackals... I knew I should have taken the time to install those traps. I grimace, unhook my cleaver and step inside.
It's Dog Head, and some gang leader called Orson. That loving Dog Head. 'bout a week ago, he came around my shack, screaming that I had stiffed him and that the third barrel he had me install on his shotgun got the whole thing jammed. Not my fault he doesn't take proper care for his weapon now, is it? I told him that thing would have been finnicky as hell, but of course he didn't listen. Idiots like him never listen to their elders.

They got me at a bad time, though. I don't have anything on me that can work its way through those armors. So it's time to play it smart.

"Hey, Dog Head. What gave you the idea that you're going to get away with robbing me?"

quote:

2d6+1 Read a Sitch = (3+2)+1 = 6. We're off to a bad start. At least I get to ask: What should I be on the lookout for?

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Jayna the Gunlugger
Cool +1 | Hard+2 |Hot -1| Sharp+1 | Wierd 0
Harm 0:00 | XP 0/5 | Armor 2 | Barter 5 | Infection 6:00

My thoughts wander back to Springheel. Why do I still want to see a dead person. I mean besides Mom. Wonder if anyone else gets those feelings?

"Sure, I can talk to Momma, got nothing on my schedule for today. Lead the way lass, I promise I won't do you wrong. 'less you ask me to."

I'll give her my best smile, never know what might happen with one of Momma's.

Forgot to note that I paid 1 barter for my lifestyle.

Mykkel fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Dec 6, 2018

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Red, the Driver
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 3/5 | Armor: 0 | Barter: 5

I'm at Scrap's workshop, killing a bit of time before my next job. I woulda loved to get my hands on some alcohol, but with everything that's been going on? Yea, that ain't happening anytime soon. Mama's not happy with what happened to her distillery, and she's especially not happy about losing Honey. Honey was the best at gathering information for Mama, gathering all kinds of important info for her, acting like her eyes and ears, and replacing her isn't going to be easy.

I look over at Gladd after he starts speaking to me. I've seen him around the bars a few times, but I don't know him personally. "Sure am, hon, but I ain't the type of gal who'll give out free rides," I tell him, "If you want my services, you're going to have to pay up."

Spending 1 Barter on lifestyle.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Honeydew: He seems a bit surprised by that bit of news, but looks back at the Forgotten Stone Cafe before turning his gaze to you again. "Good. But why are you working with Flintjack? I will gladly help you go after Prim, but don't help the Prim at home." What do you do?

Baba: Dog Head laughs, and before you know it he has his revolver against your head. "What are you going to do about it?" His finger is on the trigger, ready to pull it if you try anything. Orson keeps taking what looks valuable from the shelves, but you notice she occasionally pauses to listen for anything outside - like she's paying attention in case someone outside needs something. Right now though you have Dog Head to deal with. "It's not like you'll be able to use these for anything good. Think of it as compensation for ripping me off." What do you do?

Jayna: Dustwich doesn't say anything in response to you, just turns around and makes sure you follow her to Mama's headquarters. Some other people are there but they fall silent when they see you two enter and watch. Dustwich knocks, waits a moment, and then opens the door. You step into Mama's office and she's sitting behind a desk waiting for you. Standing to the side is a heavily armored man with a sawed-off, watching you closely. "Barbarossa is here in case you try something," she says coldly. Dustwich leaves, closing the door behind there.

Mama looks you over for a moment, not saying anything. Then she speaks. "So how do you plan on making up for what your people have done?" What do you do?

Red: He hesitates, the kind of hesitation people do when you ask for something they want but can't pay for. "Maybe we can do some sort of exchange? Would...would you like me to put in a good word for you with Flintjack? He'll probably be willing to let you be now that Shi Shi's gone." What do you do?

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew
Harm 0:00 | Infection 6:00 | XP 3 /5 | Armor 1 | Barter 3

"I'm working with him because he's a big scary motherfucker with people who will do as he says. And I intend to make use of that fact to ensure Prim and his toadies die extremely badly. Whatever else Flintjack gets up to doesn't matter to me in the slightest, so long as it doesn't harm me or mine. Beyond that...well. He hasn't stabbed me in the brain or tried to have me tuned up over a job not coming through. That goes a long way with me." I shrugged. I wanted to say a lot of things to help my case, some only tangentially related to the actual topic at hand, but I opted for stoicism. Baring my emotions honestly was just not something I could do.

"How's Exit, by the way? It's been a while and her name hasn't come up in association with any crimes lately."

Shardix fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 7, 2018

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Jayna the Gunlugger

I smile and nod at Barbarossa, "Having a man like that around is probably some bit of comfort Mama. As for making good between us, way I see it Hatira don't want to work for you, and without her the distillery isn't worth much to you. So
I'm at a loss on how to make it right. Now, you're a pretty smart woman, and you wouldn't have demanded my presence unless you had some thoughts on what you might want me and my crew to do for you. I figure we have a real talk now, we'll sort it out. What do you think you want me and mine to do?"

rolled my read a person now, got a 12 so Holding 3 , unless I spend one for the answer to the above question?

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Red, the Driver
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 3/5 | Armor: 0 | Barter: 5

I think about Gladd's offer for a second, "That might work... depending on the job," I saunter over to him, putting myself closer to him now, and ask, "So, what's this thing you desperately need my help with?"

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Honeydew: Tao looks at you in silence for a while, before speaking. "She's doing well. Once Hemlock started working for Flintjack we had to find someone else to sell what she finds but it looks like Mama is willing to buy it." He falls silent, and you get the idea he's not happy with what you just said. What do you do?

Jayna: "I called you here because it's your people causing problems, so it's your job to fix it. That's how it works. First I want the distillery back. If I have to wait until someone else with the skills comes along that's fine. Hatira was supposed to work off the legs I bought for her after she lost them to Flintjack. I'd like those back too. If she wants to leave, she can crawl on the ground alongside her new friends. Then there's Honey, my former informant. With her death that's another loss I have to deal with. Unless you can bring her back you're going to need to make up for that too. What do you think you could do about that?"

You can see she wants you to agree to her terms, and isn't going to take you trying to back out of it well. She's also hoping you're going to give her something good for the compensation of Honey. What do you do?

Red: Gladd looks relieved you accepted his offer. "It's my daughter. She went out a while ago and hasn't come back. From...what I've been able to gather I think there's someone out there. I want to find her and bring her back home. She was heading to the west of Washing - if we head there I'd like to look for traces of where she could be." What do you do?

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Jayna the Gunlugger

I should have said no to Visage. Should have told Dustwich to gently caress off. Definitely should talk to Springheel. poo poo she's waiting for an answer, and I think she was serious.

"I suppose we might give you back the distillery, that seems reasonable, although maybe instead we share the profits? Try to take Hatira's legs, and Barbossa there won't save you. Might be we can pay you back for them, if I knew what they cost you? As for Honey, I was tore up when I heard she wound up dead at the distillery, I always liked her. That seems like the most difficult thing to fix, since what she did isn't something I have a lot of skill in. How about this, I agree me and mine won't accept gigs that would go against you?"

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Jayna: Mama looks at you, trying to see if you're jerking her around or being serious. "We are not sharing the profits of the distillery. It is mine, your people stole it from me. I am sending a message to anyone who tries to do what Hatira did, and saying you won't act against me after you already did is not compensation. While this issue remains unresolved you and your people are under embargo. How long can you hold out when no one will sell you bullets or gasoline? So it is in your best interests to resolve it right now. Threaten me again and negotiations will be over." Barbarossa has his sawed-off raised, ready to fire if you try anything. What do you do?

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Jayna the Gunlugger

“Fair enough, I’ll tell my folk to leave the distillery to your folk. I’ve offered to pay you back for what you did for Hatira. What did it cost? As for Honey, I’m plum out of ideas, maybe you could suggest something?”

spend 1 hold on how do I get Mama to lift the embargo?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Jayna: "Good. But Hatira, and anyone watching, must learn they can't betray me and simply expect to toss some tokens my way. She can always buy her own once she's able to afford them. As for Honey?" Mama takes a moment to look around even though it's just you, her, and Barbarossa here. "Maybe you can take care of a problem for me," she says while eying your weaponry. "Flintjack is becoming more dangerous, and it would do good to stop him...but if you think he's too dangerous, I'll accept you removing one of his more valuable gang members." You can see she expects you to accept her demands, so that's the most obvious way to get her to lift the embargo. She seems to want to make you and Hatira an example of why not to betray or attack her - if you can think of a way to show that to everyone you might be able to negotiate different terms. What do you do?

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew
Harm 0:00 | Infection 6:00 | XP 3 /5 | Armor 1 | Barter 3

I shook my head, eyes lidded as my heart sank. Tao and Exit were the closest thing I had to family. That one of them was standing here, silently judging me...that hurt. I opened my eyes again and closed the distance between us, looking up into Tao's face and resting a hand on his cheek. No looking away from me when there were things to settle between us.

"I don't know what you want me to say. I'm a gun for hire. It's how I was raised and it's how I choose to live, and you've known this since the day we met. So if you'll pardon me, let's cut the bullshit. What do you want from me? Cut ties with Flintjack? Or is there something more going on?"

@Honeydew: 2d6+1 Read a Person = (6+6)+1 = 13
spending 1 hold to ask What does Tao wish I’d do?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Baba
Cool +1 | Hard -1 | Hot=0 | Sharp+1 | Weird+2 |
Harm 0:00 | 1/5 XP| Armor: 1| Barter 5

So they've got more folks outside. I stare at the barrel of the gun. Well, nothing for it now. I need to deal with this. It's gonna hurt, but it has to happen. If I allow them to gather together, they're going to rob me blind and I won't be able to do much about it. I may be old, but with a little luck I can take care of these two.

quote:

Seize by force = (1+4) = 5. Ouch. I choose to impress, dismay or frighten my enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Jayna the Gunlugger

"I'd love to take that rear end in a top hat out, if he hadn't firebombed the cafe, we wouldn't be having this talk right now, and while I like you, I'm never very keen on having shotguns pointed at my head. But me killing him, without us having a plan or agreement on what comes next won't really get our people aligned to the thought that you and I would rather not have them bickering. "

Jayna pauses and looks Mama directly in the eye, "I agreed to let these folks stick by me, because I'm sick of us doing the forest's work. I know you're pissed at Hatira, and feel like you need to make an example of me and her. But what if we don't go down that road? What if instead we come to an accord here, we work together to remove Flintjack, and run the cafe together? You're in charge, if you don't want to have a long term friendly arrangement, then , I'd need to look into whether or not I can take him out with only my resources, I might have to tell you I can only remove someone that works for him."