Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew
Cool +3 | Hard=0 | Hot +1 | Sharp+1 | Weird=0
Harm 0:00 | XP 0/5 | Armor 1 | Barter 3

I hung back, sitting on a pile of old tires as these idiots slapped themselves on the back and passed around a jug of what I was pretty sure was battery acid. Certainly smelled like it. But oh, they were real fired up about this. To their minds, hiring me was the best jingle they'd ever spent. Steady work was on the horizon and nobody would have to go to bed hungry again!

Not that I could really blame them. I wasn't known for my long term planning either. But it still begged the question: How long before Josiah put two and two together and sent Jayna over here to put the fear of Dog into the Butcher Boys? A week? Two weeks? Or would he play it cool and get some use out of them before Jayna turned them all into abstract art? Well, whatever. They paid me to do a job, not advise them of the long term trouble that might arise from it. It simply wasn't my problem - beyond the fact that the gunlugger saw my face. Sloppy of me, but I honestly thought she was down for the count.

Problems for tomorrow. Problem for today was Pellet. She's ambitious. Very, very ambitious. So the other day she pulled me aside and painted me a vivid picture of the future. Her ruling over a hardhold with an iron fist, doing as she pleases with an army of mean bastards obeying her every whim. Her first step towards this goal is arranging for Mice to have an accident, and she wanted my help to do it. I think she has this idea of us being partners, and she didn't take my utter disinterest well at all. She screamed and pleaded and threatened to do a great many anatomically improbable things to me if I didn't agree, and my reply that I didn't actually care only served to infuriate her even more. I can only guess that she's working up the nerve to make a go at me.

I stretch luxuriously before hopping off my perch and sauntering over to her, a hand on my hip. I stopped just inside her personal space - just close enough to be uncomfortable. "Are you intentionally making bedroom eyes at me, or is this what angry looks like on you?" It was so easy to get under her skin, I just can't help myself. When I see a button I can't help but push it.

1 barter spent on lifestyle.

quote:

name: Honeydew
look: woman, casual wear, girlish face, arresting eyes, slim body

stats:
Cool+3
Hard=0
Hot+2
Sharp+1
Weird=0

moves:
ice cold
impossible reflexes
fury
addicted (raw flesh)
the lily of the pits (raw flesh)

contamination:
inhuman strength and reflexes
inhuman flexibility
inhuman resilience

gear:
bat (2-harm hand messy)
chipped glass knife (3-harm intimate)
little black dress, well maintained combat boots, canvas duffel bag slung across her back

Red hx+2
Baba hx-1
Dame LaBelle hx+1

improvements:
+1 hot
+1 hard

Shardix fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew
Cool +3 | Hard-1 | Hot +1 | Sharp+1 | Wierd 0

Staring Pellet down, I watched a drop of sweat roll down her forehead. She was really angry; unreasonably so. You'd think I had sold her out to Mice or something with a reaction like this. Yet here I was, about to have a pound of lead added to the ounce of steel already in my skull. As she stared at me, trying to force her finger to pull the trigger, I let my knife slip into my hand.

"Hey. There's no need for that." She twitched, distracted for the briefest of moments.

Honeydew will attempt to use her lightning reflexes to seize Pellet's gun hand by the wrist and slip behind her, knife to the woman's throat and the SMG now forcibly aimed at her comrades. Roll to Go Aggro? Or is that more like Seize by Force? Either way, I could see having to Act Under Fire first.

edit: @Honeydew: 2d6+3 Act Under Fire vs Pellet = (1+3)+3 = 7

Shardix fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 10, 2018

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

I winced as the gunshots hammered at my ears, sending them ringing. Nothing for it, then. I had no real wish to kill this girl...but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it either, if it came to that. Stepping forward right into Pellet's personal space, I ducked and grabbed hold of her calves and hauled backwards with everything I had.

Aiming to yank Pellet's legs out from under her and send her sprawling on her back.

@Honeydew: 2d6-1 seize by force vs Pellet = (1+3)-1 = 3
I will take definite and undeniable hold.

Shardix fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 11, 2018

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

I flicked a glance towards Mice as I clicked open my knife and pressed it to Pellet's throat.

"Your subordinate can't take a hint. I don't take sides. But since Pellet seems bound and determined to see this resolved, let's skip to the denouement. She wanted my help in killing you. I'm not interested."

I reached over with my off hand to snatch the gun away from her. The knife bit a little deeper into her chin - to keep her honest. "This is mine now, for putting up with your nonsense. Mice, make this stop being my problem."

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

Mice. Mice, you stupid bastard. You just saw me dance past this woman's bullets and take her down and you are playing these bullshit games with me? I smack Pellet upside the face with the butt of the smg before leaning back and cooly regarding Mice. There was a feeling in the air now. A primal understanding in the pit of your gut telling you, somebody is about to gently caress Up.

@Honeydew: 2d6+1 read a sitch = (5+6)+1 = 12
Who’s in control here?
What should I be on the lookout for?
Where’s my best escape route / way in / way past?

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

Pricks. Nobody could honor a contract anymore. Raising my hands, I slowly rose up from where I had Pellet pinned. Mice didn't have his men positioned yet - the ball was still in my court. Darting with with a slash of my knife, he dodged low, right into the barrel of the smg. Driving it home into his temple, I slung my knife arm around his throat and hauled him up to act as a human shield.

"Let's take a walk, shall we? I've been extremely patient with all these discourtesies. It's time you show me the door, before I lose my temper."

@Honeydew: 2d6+3 Go aggro on Mice; Be my hostage or get his brains blown out. = (2+5)+3 = 10

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

I gestured with my knife hand towards Mice's gang. "You lot. Let's be calm and wise about this. Put those weapons down and you'll get this sniveling toad back. Push me and this only ends badly." I flicked my gaze about, looking for egress. There. Out across the lot. I'd be open, but it wouldn't take long to hit tree cover. I refocused on my hostage, already weary of his sniveling. "Shut it, Mice. You are only alive on my sufferance. We had a deal, Mice. I upheld my end of it. So what happened? Who paid you off?" I honestly didn't care about the answers, I was just yelling at him to keep him off balance and unable to think clearly.

I backed us up as I spoke, ducking beneath a rusted out chain fall. "Watch your head, Mice!" I shouted the warning as I drove a knee into one of his kidneys. As his legs went out from under him, I knelt down and aimed Pellet's purloined piece out the roll-up doors behind us. Supposedly this used to be an outpost for a guild of savvyheads - you could drive a vehicle right in and they'd rebuild it good as new. You didn't even have to get out, you could just drink a cup of coffee and fifteen minutes later be on your way. Decadent. It's no wonder that world vanished; that sort of softness was a disgusting liability. What did they do when the Jiffy Lube Cartel decided it was in charge now? Not a drat thing, I bet. Whatever amazing science this guild may have had, none of it remained. A rusted up length of chain and some vehicle lifts that were mostly only lifting interesting forms of vegetation.

Raising my voice, I called out through the doors as I adjusted my grip on Mice. "Anybody out in the yard feeling like a hero, I advise you reconsider. Don't be the person who has to tell their mama she doesn't get to have grandbabies because Honeydew turned your face into a well-hosed rear end in a top hat."

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew
Harm 0:00 | XP 3/5 | Armor 1 | Barter 3

"What? You thought I wanted to steal your gang away from you? I have more self respect then that, Mice. Now come along." I pressed the gun barrel back into his temple as I made my wary retreat. "Tell your boys to put their weapons down. Nobody benefits here from a bullet being fired, least of all these nice young ladies and gentlemen you have working for you. Tell them to lay down their arms and to bring that busted down jeep of yours around. Tell them to put an unarmed driver in that jeep, and we'll go our merry way. Once the driver drops me off somewhere else, you get to go free. Do you follow me? Do you find these terms agreeable? They are the only ones you get." She kept the stream of words flowing, kept Mice confused until the simple solution of the jeep was dangled in front of his eyes. He grabbed for it instinctively, just like a dumb monkey.

Honeydew is continuing to edge her way out of the area, trusting that nobody is quite as on board with this plan as Mice would have liked.

@Honeydew: 2d6+2 Fast Talking Mice = (5+2)+2 = 9

Shardix fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 17, 2018

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

"Fair enough, and make it quick. I have things to do today." I yanked Mice after me as I stepped past the garage door and planted my rear end against the wall. Nobody in this crew was enough of a crack shot to do anything but piss me off, so I felt confident in just holding fast for the time being. I let him stand with his hands up, the gun trained lazily in his direction. This show was all but over now so the drama fell flat. Wouldn't be a surprise if he went for double or nothing on the drive out of here. I don't know if I'd be more disappointed if he didn't try it.

"Right there is good." I reset the switchblade and slipped it away. I fiddled with a strand of hair and checked that weird spot on my boot that's been bothering me all day. "...I got into a fight with an eight foot tall mantis the other day. Did you know they come that big, now?"

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

"You get the seat of honor, Mice!" I exclaimed as I clapped him down next to Bar. "Hey Bar. You always seemed like you had your head on straight so just think relaxed, and we will be relaxed. From thought flows action." I hopped into the back seats and leered at the gang being left behind. "I'll have him back by curfew, don't worry. Tell Pellet I said thanks for the gun."

"The Forgotten Stone, Bar. I feel a little thirsty. See if anybody's hijacked the radio frequencies this week." I checked the bullets left in the stolen smg before stuffing it in my duffel. Might be useful as a bit of barter or an impromptu noisemaker. I leaned up between the front seats and looked Mice in the eye. "There you go Mice. You crossed me and I gave you a black eye. Seems a fair trade to me. I won't be that benevolent next time. You ever have a problem, you come and you speak to me about it like a civilized person. These second rate bushwhacks are beneath me."

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew
Harm 0:00 | XP 4/5 | Armor 1 | Barter 3

I grabbed a handhold as Mice went for the pistol. Like I suspected. He was too amped up and unskilled to hit anything on this sort of terrain, even without Bar almost crashing us. For my part, I went along with the ride. The jeep was gonna go where it was gonna go. No point in fighting it.

@Honeydew: 2d6+3 act under fire = (1+6)+3 = 10

Once Bar clamped down on the wheel and began to recover, I launched forward and cracked Mice right in the face. That ought to daze him long enough to relieve him of the pistol.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

"Quit your blubbering. Whining is never attractive, but especially so in a man." I leaned back and casually eyed the pistol before almost immediately dismissing it from my mind. It could spit bullets, sure, but it had no style. No class. Just cheap stamped steel that nobody ever thought about twice. "Bar, I'll give this back when we arrive. Right now I think permitting a weapon within arms reach of your boss would be unwise."

I shifted in my seat to gaze out the side of the jeep, the trees silently waving as we passed. It was kind of a shame there was rarely a chance to sit back and enjoy it. After a few moments, I piped up again.

"So. Mice. As funny as it is to watch you metaphorically shoot yourself in the balls over and over, it's just kind of sad now. So why don't you tell me what's really going on? From where I'm sitting, I just did you a big favor and got paid a respectable wage for it, before being unfairly beset upon by a rabid bitch in heat. And don't think playing coy will do anything but darken my disposition. You were wholly on board with taking me out - you just didn't have the balls to commit. Which says to me this wasn't your plan. So who called in the favor? Whose jingle takes the piss stains out of your pants these days, Mice?"

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

"And you believed her?" I threw my hands up into the air in mild annoyance before clasping them behind my head. "That is some extremely petty scheming you fell for. I stuck around because I do business. I could explain all the nuances that that word encompasses but that's just pissing into the ocean."

I closed my eyes and enjoyed the breeze, determined not to let Mice's stupidity ruin the day. It was a shame flooring the gas pedal was pointless with all the roads replaced with giants. That must have been a thrill. Nothing to slow you down but the engine falling out.

"You want my advice? Free of charge. Cut off those filthy, filthy dreadlocks. Then go put a bullet in Pellet before she puts one in you. Personally, I'm rooting for her. You're both idiots, but at least she's got some fire."

I'll pass on reading Mice. Honeydew is bored of toying with him, so if there's more going on here she'll deal with it when it crops up.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

"Thanks for the ride, Bar." I stood up and stepped over the front seats onto the hood of the jeep, turning and crouching to look Mice in the eye. "When I'm out of sight and you start working yourself up over this? Remember that the worst anybody got today was some some bruised egos. So go home, and start drawing up your plans for how to move forward with Josiah. Our business dealings are now officially severed."

I glanced at Bar and gave him a nod. I ejected the magazine from the pistol and cleared the chamber before handing them back over. I held up the ejected round, looking Mice right in the eyes. "I'm keeping this bullet, Mice. If you see it again, in any context, rest easy knowing all your troubles will soon be over."

My boots crunched in the dirt as I hopped down from the hood and strode over towards Hemlock and Exit. "Hey! How are my favorite ladies today? I have absolutely no doubts that you are setting an example for everyone in ladylike decorum and modesty, Exit." I gave the girl a bright smile and ruffled her hair a bit.

Turning to Hemlock, I offered a handshake. "Good afternoon. Are we having drinks? My treat, if so."

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

"I never need a little somethin'-somethin', but I will never say no to a a little somethin'-somethin'." I motioned vaguely over my shoulder. "Just finished a job for Mice. Went fine until him and Pellet caught a case of stupid and took a go at me. Lucky them I'm in a good mood today."

Looking past Hemlock towards Dembe, I tossed my hair and put on my sweetest smile. "Hey, cutie pie! Shi-Shi in today?" Sliding my shoulder holsters off, I handed them over for her to hold on to. I didn't much like letting my babies go but this wasn't my house. This was a place to relax and nobody wanted someone like me flouncing around strapped for a fight. It just killed the whole atmosphere.

Returning my attention to Hemlock, I continued. "How about you? If you're interested, I picked up this smg you might do something with. Bullet hoses aren't really my style."

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

I envied the girl, that she could be that excited over the promise of coffee. The world hadn't stomped on her hard enough yet to make her jaded or bitter...and I was inclined to make sure that it never did. I wasn't a sentimental sort, but destroying beautiful things was a sin.

"Right on! Make that two cups of bean juice with a shot of bourbon in mine. The good stuff, mind you." I leaned back in my chair, balancing it on two legs as Hemlock made her decision.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

The feet of my chair hit the floor with a decisive thud at the question. I leaned forward and gave Hemlock a sadistic smile, my eyes dancing. "The somethin'-somethin' I want, more than anything in this world, is two men. Prim and Parsimony. I owe them quite a lot, and I do so hate to leave my debts unfulfilled. If you happen to hear word of them, you can name your price." I cocked my head towards Exit. "If I'm not available, let the small lady or her big brother know."

Glancing down, I noticed I was inadvertently digging my nails into the table. I blinked and took a calming breath. Too intense, Honeydew. Dial it back.

I adjusted my hair ribbon as I recollected myself and met Hemlock's eyes again. "Apart from that I'm always looking for work. If you have a problem, I am happy to solve it."

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

I cocked my head, eyes widening and giving away my surprise. "A grenade launcher? That is extremely respectable hardware to be offering so casually." My mind strayed to Jayna. I didn't know her especially well, but she was dangerous. Quite so, and packing heavier weaponry than I was if she chose to take my last job personally. A little insurance never went awry, and grenades? They were good insurance. And if I didn't need it for Jayna...what a way to say goodbye to Prim.

I steepled my hands and watched the savvyhead carefully. "A very generous offer. I'm willing to keep my schedule flexible for you, if you foresee yourself needing my services in the future. I have to ask though. What's the catch?"

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

I caught Jayna and whoever that was out of the corner of my eye, doing my best not to act like anything was amiss. There was no way she hadn't seen me but she wasn't coming over - yet. "Alright, I'm on board. An offer like this doesn't come around every day. Just to be clear, who is this 'what's-his-face' exactly? I like to make sure I don't go ruining the wrong person's day."

Again I let my gaze slide over towards Jayna and her wolf-pelt wearing companion. Maybe a bit of misdirection could both soothe the gunlugger's sore feelings, and ensure nobody twigged to what Hemlock and I were plotting. "When our drinks arrive, you should throw mine in my face and yell at me about something. Wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong idea, thinking we're up to something."

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

"I won't complain if you wait for it to cool off first. The idea is that -" I caught movement out of the corner of my eye and it took an agonizingly long moment to realize what the wild woman was reaching for.

"If you go through with this plan of yours, you had better have something extremely clever to say on your behalf. Otherwise you are going to fall down every flight of stairs I can find."

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

All of a sudden this whole thing felt like a setup. If not a setup, certainly something planned and considered. Jayna and Hemlock both were being just a little too cautious, a little too courteous. Made my nerves sit up straight and tighten their boot laces. Whatever the case, it would be extremely crass for me to call either of them out on it. Whatever Springheel and those like her might think, there was still room for civilized and respectful behavior in this world.

"As you please. I am happy to see you aren't taking things too personally. I mean this in all honesty: it was just business." I kicked a chair out for her, trying to stay relaxed. Glancing to Springheel, I wondered at her presence. Was she a part of this ruse, or just an acquaintance of my new drinking buddies that had gone wandering too often and too far?

"Springheel, was it? We haven't been introduced. My name is Honeydew, and the reason I threaten you is that I would be less offended by you putting a hand up my skirt than touching my hair without asking. It's just one of those raw nerves for me. I am willing to let you touch it if you ask politely, and if you wash your hands first. Up to the elbows, and with hot water and soap." That ought to frighten the guttersnipe off. She had the look of someone who viewed a bath with the sort of reverent terror normally reserved for the agonizing hours after hearing Just wait until your father gets home.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

I took a sip of my drink, studiously ignoring Exit and the wolf girl. Springheel had called my bluff, so I was perfectly content to let Jayna step in and distract everyone.

I swing my head back to Hemlock. "As I was saying, the idea was to keep people from thinking we were all buddy-buddy and plotting something. Getting a drink thrown in my face seems like a good way to convince folk of that." I waved a hand dismissively. "My poppa always said I was an idiot convinced of her own cleverness. In any case, too many eyes on us now. That'll never fly."

I took another sip and grimaced. I was never much for coffee in the first place and nothing about Shi-Shi's brand of bean juice was changing my mind, bourbon or no. Still. I'd paid for it. Might as well finish it.

"I'll get you that item you want, and we can go from there. Sound good?"

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

I crossed my arms while the fight unfolded. Start poo poo get hit, as they said. "As a favor to me, don't kill her." I was purposefully ambiguous to who I was speaking too. Odds were overwhelmingly on the gunlugger's side, though. Experience, size, and a big loving blade generally won out over mindless belligerence.

I turned to Springheel and looked her in the eyes. This was my mistake; I'd said it and now I was beholden to it. "I am a woman of my word. Wash up and yes, you may touch it. Anything else...well. We'd have to negotiate." My gaze slid past her to Hemlock. Her gaze appeared to be focused on some other world entirely. I gave Springheel a questioning looked before leaning forward. I snapped my fingers in front of Hemlock, trying to get her attention.

"Hello? Hemlock?"

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

Well. This was concerning. I lifted my chin at Jonsu. "Hey. Was there anything besides bean juice in that bean juice?" I waved a hand in front of Hemlock to illustrate the point. "This girl has left the premises."

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

"You back with us?" I wasn't a fan. Not a bit. Hemlock spacing out like that it did not speak well for her reliability. But so long as I wasn't counting on her in a firefight, I could deal with it. I stretched luxuriously before finishing off my drink and planting the mug on the table with a loud thunk.

"I think I'll go stretch my legs, see what's happening in the hold today. I'll be in touch." I stood and moved behind Exit before pausing and flicking my eyes towards Jayna and giving her a nod. "I'll appreciate it if we all keep our conversation to ourselves. That includes you, small lady." I gave Exit a squeeze on her shoulder and a sisterly kiss on the head. I leaned in and whispered in her ear, "And be careful. It's fine to refuse to take anybody's poo poo but if you get yourself killed, I won't be able to let you shoot that grenade launcher."

I waited a moment for my companions to say their piece while casting an idle glance at Springheel. I was still undecided on her. I could respect her attitude of seeing something she liked and going right for it...

Just not when that thing was mine.

Shardix fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 19, 2018

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

I chewed my lip a bit and toyed with a strand of hair as I considered the offer. "...Sure, why not? I owe you one."

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

"Sounds good to me. Do we want to take turns, or both of us do our dance at the same time and split their focus?" I started doing stretches as I queried Jayna. Now was decidedly not the time to risk a muscle cramp. As I did so, I eyed Springheel carefully. I wasn't certain she was the most trustworthy person to be slinging fire around...especially considering how flammable I was. I cocked my head in her direction as worked out the tension in my calves.

"Hey, wolf girl. You wanted to touch my hair, right? You make sure not to set me on fire and you can touch it all you like. Sound good?"

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

I moved off a ways, giving Jayna plenty of space. Wouldn't do for us to stay too close together and risk getting nailed by an attack aimed at the other.

"On your mark, boss lady." I loosened my weapons in their holsters, just in case. Fat lot of good they would do against trees but it made me feel better.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

"Aye." I stood at attention, eyes surveying the area. Something was off but I couldn't be sure just what. Maybe it was just the way the breeze felt on my skin. Too much tension in it, a promise of an electric shock if left to build up.

"Jayna, hit the dirt!" I called a warning before sprinting off myself, kicking up dirt and hopefully catching the attention of any stragglers.

@Honeydew: 2d6+3 aid Jayna = (6+3)+3 = 12

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

"Aim for a mouth!" I yelled to Springheel as I slid to a stop. Not the best idea considering how open I'd left myself, but Jayna needed a hand - immediately. Drawing my pistols, I took a shooting stance and spit fire at the branch around Jayna's ankle and toothy maws revealed by the upturned roots. Small arms might not be enough to put a pistolpine down for the count, but it should be more than enough to make it extremely inconvenient to chow down on my partner.

@Honeydew: 2d6-1 lay down fire = (2+6)-1 = 7
You provide covering fire, allowing Jayna to move or act freely.
You provide supporting fire, giving Jayna +1 choice to their own battle move

Shardix fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 26, 2018

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

My shots slowed down to the occasional round fired towards an overzealous branch. It was hard to do anything else while witnessing Jayna screaming bloody vengeance at the bastards. An impressive display, and once again I had to admit an inward relief that she wasn't going to pursue a vendetta against me. I was quick on my feet and clever at defusing or escaping tricky situations. The gunlugger, though? That was too much fury to comfortably call down on my own head.

As I maneuvered, I caught sight of a few errant branches sneaking through the underbrush towards me. Clever little shits. I let loose a few rounds to dissuade them as I carefully picked a path to bring me back towards Springheel.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

I eyed the area, wary of a counter attack. Nothing. It seemed the pistolpines only had the one attack in them. Considering how easy it could be to wander into a patch of them though, a single attack was usually all they needed.

Turning my attention to the barbecue, I couldn't help but smile. I'd like to hope that when I blow Prim's brains out I can be as excited as Springheel was about setting these bastards to burn. Holstering my weapons I called out to her. "Yeah! gently caress 'em up!" An exaggerated hop over a burning, thrashing branch and I stood next to Jayna. Fists on my hips, I gave a decisive nod. "Good work, boss lady."

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

I swept my eyes across the burning copse, wrinkling my nose against the smell. I hated that my stomach growled hungrily in spite of everything. "Pistolpines aren't actually plants, I think. Or if they are they aren't made out of normal plant things. Under those inches of bark, it's all meat and teeth and stomach. Supposedly what would be the heartwood in a regular tree is uh, the sweetmeats. Dense and very nourishing if you can ignore literally everything else about where it came from."

Turning my head away, I caught Springheel hovering next to me, her eyes gleaming covetously. "I promised. Go ahead. Just don't pull, please."

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

Jayna seemed on the up and up. Appreciative of aid, willing to ignore an offense when it didn't help her. Nevertheless, I was leery of playing any nicer than I currently was. If she was of a like mind to my own this politeness would last exactly as long as it was useful for her, and not a second longer. I could certainly respect that...I just needed to remember not to leave myself vulnerable. Physically or emotionally.

"I've heard that you're supposed to eat the heart while it's still hot. Devouring the strength of your foes while it's still strong, that kind of thing."

I flicked an eye to Springheel. She seemed lost in her own world, but she was being respectful so I'd let her be. Wanting to toy with my hair was far from the strangest thing anybody had asked of me. If I didn't want the attention I wouldn't have gone through the trouble of growing it out and maintaining it.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

I took the heart and hefted it, surprised at the weight left even after two-thirds of it had been consumed. The blood (sap? ichor?) was deep and rich even against my own skin. The vital fluids ran down my fingers and arm and dripped onto the toe of a boot, a slow but notable tap tap tap. My eyes were full of it. Hypnotized. A quick shake of my head and the moment was dispelled. There I went, getting much too caught up in things and acting the fool. I wasn't much for camaraderie as a personal preference. When I did allow myself to indulge in that sort of sentimentality? It was not uncommon to get caught up in the moment.

"Prost!" I looked Springheel in the eyes as I devoured the heart. It wasn't bad. The aftertaste reminded me of gun oil, birch sap, and just a hint of turpentine. Like papa's old cold remedies, the very threat of which had often been enough to convince a very small Honeydew that she was not nearly so ill as she thought.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

I stared at Springheel incredulously as she befouled my hair. Popping her in the jaw was becoming more and more appealing by the second, except there was clearly something loose in her brainmeats. Beating her was not going to help anything. A different tack was needed. Giving her a cheerful smile, I put an arm around her shoulder and took her chin in hand. Turning her face so we were looking eye to eye and I had her undivided attention, I laid down how this was going to go.

"Alright, here's the deal. You can snuggle all you like on our way back to Tref Maer. I'm going to pay a visit to that Flintjack guy and see what's what, and afterwards you are going to wash every inch of it while I soak in a tub."

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

I played along with Flintjack's cronies. Better I get an idea of numbers and weaponry and where they were keeping this solar cell before I tried anything funny. As they brought us in, I wanted to glance around and get a feel for the place but...drat.

"Let me guess. You're Flintjack?" I stood, hands on my hips, looking up at a giant. "What the gently caress do they feed you?"

Normally I didn't go in for planning ahead. I trusted my instincts and my skills to see me through. But if Hemlock still wanted that battery? I'd need to come up with something really clever. This half ton bastard could probably tear my limbs off with one hand if he got worked up about it.

"...I like your coat."

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

At Hemlock's comment, I gave a wry smile and jerked a thumb towards Springheel. "Wolf girl here's been draped in my hair the whole walk back so I've got pistol pine all over me."

Returning my gaze to Flintjack, I refused to let superior numbers or huge size intimidate me. "I'm stopping by see how my friend was doing. Offer a hand if need be. If you have a problem with that, blame your boys and girls for pointing me in this direction. Personally? I think you should thank them. I'm between jobs right now and unlike Mice and his Butcher Boys, you look like someone I might respect."

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew

"Please do keep it in mind. For now though, someone owes me a shower." I wrapped an arm around Springheel's neck, kindly, and made my way to the truck. Flintjack may not have been including the two of us in his offer of a ride but I was inviting myself along regardless.

"Hey, Hemlock. Who do I talk to for a hot bath, anyway? Been making do with Texture creek but this poo poo isn't going to wash out with cold water."

Honeydew plans to get a meal, wash up, and call it a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Honeydew
Cool +3 | Hard-1 | Hot +2 | Sharp+1 | Wierd 0
Harm 0:00 | Infection 3:00 | XP 0/5 | Armor 1 | Barter 1

The world was growing stranger. Springheel was in my head, wrapped up in my hair and whispering in my ears, her mouth slick with blood. It wasn't alarming, merely...strange. Perhaps I should be worried but more than anything I wanted to know where this was leading. My poking around for information on Prim or Parsimony had come up empty so I needed something to distract me.

---

My eyes slid past the walking tank and a kid at that critical juncture of almost-adulthood, where his body was deciding if he was going to be handsome or not. Both people I hadn't met before, but I gave them a faint smile just the same. Boss Moss I knew, vaguely, by reputation. An important man locally with his fingers in a lot of pies, so I was quite interested in hearing what he had on offer.

"Mr. Moss. Thank you for the invitation." I offered a handshake before taking a seat, sitting prim and attentive. "How may I be of assistance to you today?" I let him take the lead in the conversation while I focused on his body language and the things he didn't say. As far as I knew we had no cause for quarrel, but that was no reason to simply assume he wasn't prepared to gently caress me over the first chance he got. A little paranoia was always healthy.

@Honeydew: 2d6+1 read a sitch = (3+5)+1 = 9
What should I be on the lookout for?

Honeydew will spend 2-barter for her lifestyle - primarily to ensure that she can acquire oils and soaps for her hair.

Shardix fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 23, 2018