Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Baba
Cool +1 | Hard -1 | Hot=0 | Sharp+1 | Weird+2 |
Harm 0:00 | 1/5 XP| Armor: 1| Barter 6

I've been around for a long while, sonny, and if there is one lesson that I picked up after years and years spent eking out an existance in this spittoon of a world, it's this: don't get attached. By the time you'll be as old as me, you'll have seen people, things, even hardholds and projects, come and go and end up in the ground with lead in their ribcages and roots growing through their skulls. Before Washing, there was Haven; and before Hemlock, there were Greyo, Twins, Wolfsbane, Corynth, Lariat. You can't afford to tie your heart to every single one of them. Each will rip off a piece of you when they go, and the goddamn trees will eat them up and suck up the bits of your heart, too.

What I'm getting as is, it's a shame about what happened to that Hemlock girl. She seemed to have a good head on her shoulders, and that exosuit she was working on was promising. But I'm not going to lose sleep over it, either. I get precious enough of that as it is. I ought to consider checking out her shed, see if there is anything worthwhile to ransack that hasn't been picked clean by the jackals already.

I'm distracted from my grim thoughts by the sound of uninvite guests rummaging through my shack. Speaking of jackals... I knew I should have taken the time to install those traps. I grimace, unhook my cleaver and step inside.
It's Dog Head, and some gang leader called Orson. That loving Dog Head. 'bout a week ago, he came around my shack, screaming that I had stiffed him and that the third barrel he had me install on his shotgun got the whole thing jammed. Not my fault he doesn't take proper care for his weapon now, is it? I told him that thing would have been finnicky as hell, but of course he didn't listen. Idiots like him never listen to their elders.

They got me at a bad time, though. I don't have anything on me that can work its way through those armors. So it's time to play it smart.

"Hey, Dog Head. What gave you the idea that you're going to get away with robbing me?"

quote:

2d6+1 Read a Sitch = (3+2)+1 = 6. We're off to a bad start. At least I get to ask: What should I be on the lookout for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba
Harm 0:00 | 1/5 XP| Armor: 1| Barter 5

So they've got more folks outside. I stare at the barrel of the gun. Well, nothing for it now. I need to deal with this. It's gonna hurt, but it has to happen. If I allow them to gather together, they're going to rob me blind and I won't be able to do much about it. I may be old, but with a little luck I can take care of these two.

quote:

Seize by force = (1+4) = 5. Ouch. I choose to impress, dismay or frighten my enemy.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba
Harm 6:00 | 1/5 XP| Armor: 1| Barter 5

I grimace past the pain of the wound as I pull myself up. I rub the blood off with my sleeve before it gets to my eyes. It's going to be a bitch and an half to pull that bullet off later, but now I got other priorities. If that Orson thinks she can walk away with my stuff, she's got another thing coming. Where is my rifle?

---

Soon afterwards, I am out, rifle in hand, scanning my surroundings for the car Dog Head was barking about later. As the fuckers fire on me, I kneel down, close one eye, and aim for their tires.

@Baba: 2d6+1 Act under fire to shoot out some tires = (3+6)+1 = 10

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba
Harm 6:00 | 1/5 XP| Armor: 1| Barter 5

I spit on the ground as I see them scramble behind their car as cover. I reload my rifle as I give them a couple of seconds to realize the full extent of the crap they put themselves in. And then I shout at them.

"Alright, you jackals! Put my stuff on the ground and I'll let you walk away! You can't even take it to your filthy lair without the car."

quote:

Rolled to manipulate these fools into letting my stuff go, and got a 2. Ouch.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba
Harm 9:00 | 2/5 XP| Armor: 1| Barter 5

It's the coughing that wakes me up. Sharp, creaky sounds that shake my whole body, and make my newborn headache grow worse.
I can tell from how woozy I feel that I've lost a lot of blood. How many times have I woken up like this? Too many, that's for sure. I give myself time to catch my breath until the coughing recedes, then I start to pat down my bones and joints. Nothing broken, at least. Thank whatever looks out for old hags for small mercies.

I stand up, wobbly, and make my way into my hut, dragging my rifle behind me and leaving it in the settle.

Finally, I go to my lab, and I can't help but wince. My cathode display, both my oscilloscopes, even my sparkbox; all gone. Do these jackals have any idea what I did to gather all of that? How much I got my hands dirty? How many burns, slashes and zaps I've had to endure and inflict in order to gather them? If they think they're getting away with this, they've got another thing coming.

With heavy steps, I make my way to my way to my terrarium. "Least you're still here." I mumble as I look over my samples. Ah ha. There it is.

I pick up one of my special mushrooms. Under the sterile light of my UV lamps, its dry, cyan flesh contrasts with the wet, patches of almost-mucus; this specimen is at the perfect time for harvest, when the spots are neither too big for eating or too dry for the effect to take hold.

I sink my teeth into one and am instantly lifted by the winds of the maelstorm our of my hollow husk of bone and guts and sinew. All around me the lifes skirt across the life-web of the Forest, some jumpy and straightforward like squirrels, other zig-zagging and careful like lizards.

I unfurl my life-limb-pseudopod towards the web and touch it lightly. I focus on an handful of images; the truck, Dog Head, Orson, Corbett, my equipment. And with that I send a message.
Anyone who helps Baba find this will be compensated.
Anyone who brings Baba these men's heads will be richly compensanted.

quote:

2d6+2 Augury = (6+1)+2 = 9
I choose to insert information into the psychic maelstorm and to have it persist for a while without me mantaining it.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba

As the vibrations from disturbing the life-web dance their way through the strantds, I can feel my essence weighed down by the chains that the meat and bone and nerve have sunk into it. I fall down, down until I am back in my own body. I shake my head, trying to clear it, and that's when the dirt starts talking to me.

I gingerly walk to my terrarium, still a bit groggy from the mushroom high. I look down on the form in the dirt. Is the Maelstorm trying to communicate with me using images from my unconscious, or is Crine actually talking to me? You can never be sure, but I imagine it's the former.

"Like Hemlock? What do you mean?"

quote:

Got a 9 on my Read a Person roll. I have 1 hold to use during this conversation.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba

"That's my stuff, Crine. Got it with the sweat of my brow and the cleverness of my hands. Am I supposed to let some pissy jackal try and rob me?"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba

"You're barking up the wrong tree, coyote. The things I've got planned aren't the kind that make the earth tremble and the sky scream." I look at the fungus outgrowth that's meant to slow down the creeping forest. "It's going to be good for everyone. It might change everything.

Cards on the table, spook: why are you here? What do you want from me?"

quote:

Cashing in my hold to ask: what does your character wish I'd do?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba

I consider my options. All things considered, I don't think there is any harm I'm letting him know what I'm doing.
"I'm developing a fungus that could, and I do mean could, slow down the advance of the Forest." I let that sentence hang in the air, heavy and brimming with possibilities, like a rotten log riddled by insects both useful and toxic.
"It's still a ways off, mind, but if I can pull it off, it's going to be a game changer. No more having to chop the trees every day just to be able to stand."
"Satisfied?"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba
Harm 9:00 | 3/5 XP| Armor: 1| Barter 5

As the world starts to cool down and to make sense once more, I think. I am in a pretty bad spot. On further reflection, I have no guarantee that someone will pick me up on that offer I put in the maelstorm. I grimace. That's what happens when you make decisions while hurt and angry, I guess. But perhaps Dog Head has left behind a psychic trail I can follow...

Got a 13 on Opening my mind to the psychic maelstorm. Marking XP.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba
Harm 9:00 | 3/5 XP| Armor: 1| Barter 5

Gun in hand, I approach the door. "Who's there? I warn you, I've had one hell of a lovely day, so this had better be good news."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba
Harm 9:00 | 4/5 XP| Armor: 1| Barter 5

I scratch my chin, thoughtfully. Normally I don't break bread with these cult types, but I'm not exactly in a position to pick and choose. I open the door, take a step back and let her in. I accompany her to the small table on my laboratory; I don't really have another space where to let visitors sleep. "Well, they stole the materials I need to do my work, the stuff that earns me my daily jingle. That wicked enough for you?" I chuckle, testing her reaction.

I then add. "So, you say that you've found them. I don't suppose you'd be willing to share that information for free, would you? You or your flock need anything fixed? We can do a trade, friendly-like. You help me get my stuff, and you get my services."

@Baba: 2d6+1 Read a person = (3+6)+1 = 10. I hold 3 and mark 1 experience.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Feb 16, 2019

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba

'Sinful drinks', uh. Good thing I didn't offer her my homemade moonshine.
"Alright then. It sounds like we have a deal. You get rid of those guys, I'll fix up whatever you need, and-" I wince when she pokes at my wounds. "Hey! What're you doing?"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba

"Uh uh." I say, looking unconvinced. I'm going to have to keep my eyes open with this one. "Sure, why not. If you can take me to those coyotes I'll gladly follow you."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba

On the way there, I think back at the vision I had. While it was certainly satisfying to see that jackal get its throat slit, I don't know for sure that that's what happened. The Forest is tricksy like that. Sometimes it shows you what has happened, sometimes it shows you what could have happened. Still, if somebody really did do him in, I'll gladly line their pockets with some jingle.

Once we arrive, my eyes drag from one person to the next, on high alert. I don't like this. After being robbed like that, all of my insticts tell me to bunker down in my shack and fortify myself. But I can't afford to do that right now.

I lean closely towards Mother Superior. "Well? Where's Dog Head and his people?"

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Feb 26, 2019

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba
Cool +2 | Hard -1| Hot=0 | Sharp+1 | Weird+2 |
Harm 9:00 | 0/5 XP| Armor: 1| Barter 5

I grimace. I was really hoping that they had him under control already. That's what I get for making assumptions, I guess.
"Alright, I'll see what I can do. Let me give this place a look-see."

Trying my best to look inconspicous, I take a little walk around the distillery, eyes open for any possible way in.

quote:

Got a 9 in my "read a sitch" roll, so I ask "What's my best way in?"
Also I mark XP and get an advance. I'll take +1 cool.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba

I look at the door's hinges with a measure of disgust. Bah! That's what sloppy craftmanship'll get you. All the better for me to sneak in unobserved and listen in on what's going on there...

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba

Well, well. So Dog Head really is dead. Good. But I see that his two fellow coyotes are still around. Flushing them out to Mother Superior isn't going to be easy; why would they leave this nice, defensible place?

I am considering my options when a strong smell tickles my nose. Alcohol. Of course, the 'sinful beverage' that that coot was talking about. This gives me an idea... moving slowly, as to not alert them before I have found what I need, I follow the scent of alcohol, as I fish in my jacket for my old lighter. I don't smoke, my health is bad enough as it is, but I always keep it nice and full. You never know when it can be useful to light a little fire. Like in this case, for example...

Got a 12 on my Act Under Fire roll to start a fire.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba

Still in the rapidly burning building, I take out my rifle. People are zipping this way and that to try and calm the fire, but I know what I'm doing. It's going to take them quite a bit of time. Plenty of time for me to follow Orson's position, and take aim, and take a deep breath to steady my arm, and finally to pull the trigger.

I allow myself half a second to see that coyote take my lead. Then I make my escape.
Rolled a 10 on my Sucker Someone roll.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

[quote="paradoxGentleman" post="493235693"]
Baba

What do I do? I get the hell out of Dodge, that's what I do. I didn't live this long by sticking around people who want me dead. Time to make my way back to Mother Superior and see if she has handled the remaining coyote.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba

I kick the gun away from Corbett, just to be on the safe side. "Wait a tick, Mother Superior. Don't kill him yet."

I lean down real close to him. "Hi, coyote. Remember me?
Let me describe the situation to you. I want you dead. She wants you dead. Now, if you tell me where my stuff you stole is, maybe I won't want to kill you after all. Maybe I'll convince Mother Superior here to let you go. that's a lot of maybes, but that's better than dying here in the dirt, right?"

I got an 8 in my Manipulate roll. it's a lie, of course; Baba doesn't let people who have wronged her get away with it. but he doesn't know that.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba

"Uh uh. This is not the kind of position you make demands in, coyote. One moment more, Mother Superior, please."
I close my eyes and then I open them, letting the forms and colors commingle and confuse. I focus on the person-shaped blob that is Corbett, and look for any filaments that connect him to what is around. He couldn't have had time to hide my stuff too far...

I got a 8 on my Open Your Brain roll. I am asking the maelstorm "Where is my stuff?"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba

I grimace. I weigh my options.
I don't want to spare this coyote. He has robbed me. After all the years that it took to accumulate that tech, all the raids and trades and fiddling in the dark, even as sparks fly this way and that. But by the same token, I cannot afford to lose it. Not after all it has costed me to get it.

"Mother Superior." I choose my words carefully. She's a weirdo. "You wanted to punish the sinners here, right?" I point at the burning building behind me. "I got you off to a great start. Many of 'em are burning alive as they speak. Their alcohol burns with them. Let this one go, and I'll gladly help you burn some more. But I need my tech, Mother. My livelihood depends on it."

Got a 6 on my manipulate roll. Oh dear.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba
Harm 9:00 | 1/5 XP| Armor: 1| Barter 5

Well now. Here I am, with no tech, no hostage, and not much of a lead. If that wasn't enough, the wounds are starting to hurt. I'll need to see someone to patch them up soon.

I look down on Corbet's corspe, and spit on it before climbing into the car. I squint my eyes the whispy trails of the people he has dealt with. I warn her: "Before I start doing what you need me to do, I need to find my tech." I try not to sound too accusatory, although I am not happy at all that she blew the jaw off of my most promising lead. I sit down with a groan as my old bones complain about the workout. Unfortunately, I still have a lot to do.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Mar 19, 2019

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba
Cool +2 | Hard -1| Hot=0 | Sharp+1| Weird+2 |
Harm 9:00 | 2/5 XP| Armor: 1| Barter 4

I stand before Mama's building, chewing on some tobacco. I wish I could say I was planning my next move, but the truth is, I'm hesitating. I am hurt, and my tech has been away from me long enough to make me nervous. I hope that this Scrap person didn't mess with my stuff too much.

I take a deep breath and get into the place. One of the advantages of being old is that no one pays too much attention to you if you keep your head down. I simply walk, calmly but without hesitation, acting like I have every reason to be there. Odds are, no one is going to mind or even notice.

2d6+2 Act under fire; do not attract attention = (5+4)+2 = 11
Spending 1 on lifestyle; getting 1 XP for rolling Cool.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 28, 2019

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba
Harm 9:00 | 3/5 XP| Armor: 1| Barter 4

Look at her. So focused on her work, it seems like the rest of the world doesn't even exist. I know what that's like; I get the same way. I make a mental note to get on with building alarms and traps for my own workspace as I wrap my hands around a screwdriver that's hanging from a wall. Two long strides to cross the garage and I'm behind her; one hand goes around her mouth, to stop her from screaming, and another sinks the screwdriver in the side of her throat, to make sure she won't scream ever again.

I feel a twinge of guilt, but I silence it with practiced ease. This is what happens when you buy from thieves.

To distract myself, I focus on what happens next. I need to load my stuff in the vehicle, and get out of here. Hm, but if they see me going out with this car, they'll realize something's wrong. Scrap is my same size, more or less; I'd look less suspicious if I looked like her. I might just have a plan...

2d6+2 Act under fire: don't mess my future disguise up. = (1+4)+2 = 7
Marking XP

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba

I have little time as it stands. I can't waste any more. I will just grab enough clothes to disguise myself (a scarf, a hat, a jacket perhaps), get my stuff and leave.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba

First stop: back at my shack, to unload all of my precious tech and get it back in the house.
Second stop: getting this car away from me. I don't need people figuring out that it was me who killed scrap and stole back my poo poo. I'll just drive it somewhere out of the way, but not too far from my house, so I can get back on foot quickly.
And finally, off to Anvil, to get what I need to build my traps. On foot, to avoid voices of my new ride reaching Mother.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Apr 13, 2019

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba

Well, I probably do need someone to take al ook at these wounds. I've seen better days. But first, let's see who exactly is bothering me now. I march to the door, cleaver in hand. "Who is it?"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba

"That I am." I take a step back and gesture with my head for them to come in. "Sit down, I'll get some hooch." I've learned that expressing basic hospitality puts people at ease and makes them more trusting. Soon enough we are sitting down on a table with a tin cup full of my homemade bathtub moonshine each. I take a long sip as I study them.

"So what's your offer, Flintjack?"

quote:

Got a 12 on my Read a Person roll.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba

I raise an eyebrow when Flintjack mentions Honeydew. That's Honeydew? I'd heard some worrying things about her, but you'd think someone would have mentioned a mask. I've been around for a long time, and when someone puts a mask on, it almost never spells good news.

"Gimme a week, and I can improve this launcher of yours, no problem. I'll take jingle, if that's what you have, but what I'd really like is someone with a deep connection to the psychic maelstrom for some experiments I'm making. Nothing too dangerous. You find me someone like that, and I'd be willing to waive my fee."

I turn to Honeydew. "I don't suppose that mask of yours means that you qualify now, does it, girl? I've met plenty of brainers that would never show their faces in my time."

quote:

Spending 1 Read a Person hold to ask "What does your character wish I'd do?"

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 25, 2019

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba

"Hmm. It doesn't sound like whoever it is you're talking about would come with you willingly."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba

I tap my fingers on the table thoughtfully. "No, I suppose it is not. I would have preferred someone ready and willing, but you can't always have what you want. It's a deal."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba

"I'm afraid not. I've been too liberal with this knowledge already. I'll just say that I'm developping something that will benefit not just me, but pretty much everyone." I take a long sip of my hooch. It's their loss if they don't like it.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba

"That it does, child, that it does. I have grown petty in my old age. Knowing that my evil eye still works is a satisfaction." I cackle and wink at them both.
"Alright, you two, Baba needs to get back to work; if you want this grenade launcher done anytime soon, that is. I'll do my part of the deal, you do yours."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba

I don't like having debts, so the first thing to do is going to be taking care of this grenade launcher issue. I grab my rifle, my cleaver and my travel gear; I check that all my traps and alarms are in position, I lock the door behind me and I start making my way towards Anvil, to get the mats I need.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba
Harm 9:00 | 3/5 XP| Armor: 1| Barter 3

I have contacts with several scavengers who loot the Forest-choked ruins of the old world for materials and scrap. Today I'm dealing with Jacko, who is in a good mood thanks to making a good haul today. I've barely loaded my stuff in my bags when Twitter approaches me.
"Josiah, uh? Thank you, child." I open the letter, taking care to lift it so that Twitter can't read it. I don't want her spreading rumors in case it's important news.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba

Feeling Twitter's eyes on me, I do my best to keep a neutral expression, but I am a bit prickly at these news. I feel scattered, like I'm trying to juggle too many things at once. On the upside, at least I won't have this debt hanging over my head forever now. I hand Twitter back her letter.

"Tell Joshua that I need to get this stuff back to my place before going his way. I'll be there as soon as I'm done with that, though."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba

Baba nods, then returns home to deposit her purchased gear. She considers focusing on working on the grenade launcher, but then decides against it. Better to clear this thing up as soon as possible.
"Too many things going on at the same time." she mumbles absent-mindedly, as she grabs what she'll likely need to repair some security systems. Then, after one last check up to make sure her traps and alarms are all still set and ready to protect her from intruders, she makes her way towards Josiah's Church.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Baba
Harm 9:00 | 4/5 XP| Armor: 1| Barter 3

"I don't believe that the visions I have come from God, Josiah. I hope you'll forgive me my lack of faith, but I think they are visions of another kind, given to me not by an otherworldy power but by biology."
I stare him right in the face, to see if he wants to make something of it. He knows I'm his last hope to get his stuff fixed, so I don't expect he'll give me trouble for it. But you can never tell with these fanatics.

I can't stomach the idea of leaving these people with this jackass, without even the support of booze to let them power through things. I might be a mercenary, but I am not completely heartless.
So I lie. I pretend that this thing is beyond repair. I hope he buys it.

quote:

@Baba: 2d6 manipulate = (6+6) = 12

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Oct 12, 2019