Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
it loving stuns me every time people trot out the free speech slippery slope horseshit all the while not realizing that the constitution keeps you from facing criminal charges for saying poo poo

the government could not possibly give less of a gently caress what a corporation lets you say or not say lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

I'd say that if a corporation not letting someone say something results in elected officials publicly endorsing/condemning the move then yes the government does care about it.

there is no one person that is the government

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

that gun violence article is Quality

seriously lowtax top marks

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Squish posted:

This is more like a test fire of a new weapon, an Internet Manhattan Project that further demonstrates a concentration of potential power that could have real negative repercussions for genuine debate.

lol

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Split Pea Superman posted:

When have I ever defended anyone on this site?

well since you asked i took a quick glance at your post history and found:

donny t re: north korea: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3859921&pagenumber=6&perpage=40#post485105070

some poo poo i don't even pretend to understand about groups talking about race realism or some poo poo your entire question mark in this thread is confusing as hell: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856797&pagenumber=62&perpage=40#post484241140

jeff bezos: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851072&pagenumber=31&perpage=40#post484163258

strikes me that you just love to argue from looking through this. regardless of how well or how poorly i'm grasping the full wisdom and context of whatever ravings i've linked the actual answer to this question seems to be "like every 3rd post"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

donny t is not the government

donny t is involved in the whole nfl players kneeling thing but let's not tacitly give the authoritarian jizzrag the I AM THE STATE power he so desperately craves. if the nfl responded to him with :rolleyes: he could do nothing but whine on twitter about it, no actual government apparatus is going to help him by punishing the NFL. he can't just go "BAN THEM FROM THE TV SCREENS" and it happens.

the other poo poo is exactly why the other platforms wanted to get rid of jones though. you pay for these 'free' platforms with your data and jones's data was so actively toxic and awful that he was hurting their bottom line by existing in their digital universe

twitter won't ban jones though because jones is newsworthy and that's what twitter cares about being. they want people to go to twitter for their news updates instead of fox, cnn, msnbc, etc. you ban jones and that's a bunch of self-minted headlines you suddenly don't get. so basically they won't ban him because he is exactly the sort of memetic brain dead fuckwit they want lol

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

The only radio show hosts zi listen to are Frasier and that guy from the GTA games

lazlow hasn't had a good show since the original one, even in GTA:SA it was way more awkward than charming

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

VikingSkull posted:

I claim that in the 21st century, social media platforms constitute the village square, due to monopolistic practices by the corporations involved, and we are in dire need of a judicial ruling on the validity of such a structure.

lol

i had someone putting forward this idea in my discord last night. i pointed out that if you want to equate it to the constitutional concept of the town square, every citizen has an equal right to it and the entire current practice of algorithms, subscriptions, and etc are unconstitutional because they provide inherently unequal access. the only way that the government has been able to restrict this right is demonstration permits so commerce isn't affected, and that doesn't apply to these dedicated platforms online. there's no disruption possible, really.

so as a result you just blast out all content, to everyone, all the time, ever, with no sorting, no filtering, and no way to stop beyond simply avoiding the town square (or not visiting the website).

long story short he stumbled around trying to mentally backflip over this for about half an hour before parting the server

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

sucks they weren't hardcore enough to stay on the platform

lol who am i kidding no it isn't gently caress those guys

• Locked thread