Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
You can live comfortably with a high debt load as an attorney. It’s easy. Just ask me, a person who has never been hospitalized for mental health issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

I mean, as someone who left a corporate gig for public interest work, good for you. If you have a job in immigrant defence waiting for you once you get that JD you’re in a good place. If not, as suggested by you talking about networking/alumni network below, you need to realize that your job search is starting approximately now. Legal aid and other full time public defence jobs in big markets like Boston are actually quite difficult to get, despite the poo poo pay. So seek out internships, volunteer opportunities, clinics, etc. so that if it’s your resume versus someone from Harvard’s, even though you’ll probably be better prepared to practice than someone just out of Harvard, you can win that comparison.

Thanks, I am keeping my expectations somewhat in check. I'm laser-focused on the immigration clinic that my school offers, and I have enough established connections that I think internships won't be too hard to identify. My hope is that having spent 7 years doing this work as a paralegal and having a few asylum grants under my belt will give me a bit of an edge.

Tokelau All Star posted:

Jewmanji, it sounds like the job you have right now is pretty good. Just keep doing that unless you'd make 3x as much if you have a law license. The added stress of being the attorney on the case with your professional license on the line with every action you take isnt worth a small pay bump and three years of school.

We're the same age and I couldn't imagine going to law school now. The job I have now is objectively really good, I get to go home every night at a reasonable hour and play with my kids, and get paid a decent amount. I still consider quitting all the time being a lawyer really sucks.

I hear that. That was the logic I was operating under for the last 7+ years. The truth is that my job is deadening and I have moral qualms about making money in this business (biotech/pharma). I totally understand that for lots of people simply collecting a good paycheck to support themselves and their family is the most important thing. I should stress that I am in a very privileged financial position and will not be taking out any loans and so I'd like to take a bit of my extra financial privilege and put myself in a position to actually help other people for a change. I might come to regret getting my JD, but I at least want to feel proud when people ask me how I'm spending my time. If it turns out to be horrible, I can always return to in-house corporate stuff and make 2-3x what I'm making now.

homullus posted:

I went to an extremely low-ranked school* with a full ride (I applied when law schools were so starved for students they were shutting down, even mid-semester). Knowing that I was spending time rather than $$$$$$ made the whole experience even more enjoyable and less stressful. If it didn't work out, I would graduate debt-free and satisfied. But my law clerk work for a solo attorney during school improbably turned into a job. Even more improbably, I am regularly helping the little against the big, which is what I told people I was hoping to do, way back when I was applying.

I think you may be undervaluing the scholarship and the alumni network of the state school. Checking whether the city school actually has a better alumni network/prospect of a job in the city, even when your reason and intuition tell you that it must have that, is exactly the sort of annoying attention to detail/fact-checkery that attorneys are paid for. But really, talk to alumni. Check the web pages of companies/orgs you'd want to work for and keep track of who graduated where.

*when looking at school rankings, outside the top schools, a key number is the bar passage rate. Bottom-ranked schools with much lower passage rates are admitting anyone who will pay; ones with an acceptable rate are still doing some combination of telling some applicants "no" and teaching you what you need to know.

Thanks. I'm certain that the alumnae network at my chosen school is going to be stronger than the state school which has a much newer law program and is an hour outside of the city. The bar passage rate is notably worse. I don't know how to account for that, but there it is. I wonder if COVID had some lingering effect, because over the last three years the passage rate dipped 7%, the jumped back up. Also that average factors in people attempting the bar in other states which seems to have a noticeably worse passage rate. Within the state, the passage rate seems reasonably high (around 80%)

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 16, 2024

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
double post

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1780245286264111333

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Whether immigration work qualifies for PSLF can be pretty haphazard. From what I've gathered you pretty much have to be doing it pro bono full time for a non profit, and even some of them I've heard horror stories about getting recognition for.

As someone who turned down a full ride to a lower ranked school to go to a higher ranked one, I say take the full ride always. It ended up just fine for me but a lot of that was pure luck and stuff I had no idea about when I made that decision. I don't see where I am now being effectively any different if I had taken the lower ranked school's offer in all honesty.

Also PSLF is a lot like social security. Will it be there when you need it? Probably. Is it guaranteed? Absolutely not.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If trump is president there will be no PLSF

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Trump said that he'd actually prosecute these immigration 501(c)(3)s so yeah I think the PSLF is probably out the window at that point lol.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t listen to what trump says. He has no permanence of thought or like … coherent policies other than survival and dominance

I’m just going off of what his appointees did when was president . President precedent

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

euphronius posted:

If trump is president there will be no PLSF

I honestly thought he was going to get rid of it in his first term, but I suppose there were so few people qualifying then that it didn't register with the feds at the time.

Frankly I still don't understand how the SAVE plan works and where the deferred interest is going (a suspense account?); it seems like there should be a taxable event either monthly or at the very end on all of it depending when it's forgiven. That's another thing that can change next year if the plan even exists then.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 16, 2024

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There was tons of people who qualified. The Michigan mummy curse lady didn’t process them

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I've started just showing up unannounced at opposing counsel's office when they've been ducking me. It's really funny and satisfying to do.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Nichol posted:

Oh no Sorry Cmdr. We need more real lawyers at Crown offices. At least around here it is dire.

There's a fun recent post-postscript because I gave two months' notice this week. I'm giving up all my files and taking the rest of the year off come summer while I figure out what to do next.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Just had my first hot mic on a zoom meeting. It was me yelling to my husband "who schedules a meeting at freaking 8am!?" while unmuted so like thirty ALJs heard it. Lol oops.

Had a few coworkers say I was just giving voice to what they were thinking. And my boss emailed me with a "everything good?"

BigHead fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 24, 2024

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

8 am is insane tho I agree. 10 am is normal law thing start time

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
When I first started, at the local state court, everyone had rule day starting at 9:00. Except that one judge who started at 8:30 by calling the docket and if both parties weren’t there he passed your hearing without date, super cool.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BigHead posted:

Just had my first hot mic on a zoom meeting. It was me yelling to my husband "who schedules a meeting at freaking 8am!?" while unmuted so like thirty ALJs heard it. Lol oops.

Had a few coworkers say I was just giving voice to what they were thinking. And my boss emailed me with a "everything good?"

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I saw what might be the most powerful self own legal strategy by a pro se ever.
Guy calls his prior attorney to the stand, and he appears via zoom from the hospital on oxygen. Before the questioning, the witness lays out a big warning about how this guy is going to wave privilege, and that he really shouldn't do this.

Guy proceeds, starts arguing with his old attorney on the stand about not being given all the discovery materials while this fella was representing him.

The witness lays out some freaking bombs
"I got you an acquittal on your first felony sexual assault charge, then you accused me of corruption"
Quotes the rules of procedure he was operating under. Explains the rules 3 or 4 separate times. Explains that he handed over all materials when the court ordered it, releasing him from the prior restrictions, etc.
Pro se gets negative useful testimony feom his witness (that he compelled to appear while hospitalized for pneumonia)
Then the stunner off the top rope that everyone but the defense saw coming: cross.
"Did Mr. So and so tell you he was guilty of this sexual assault?"
"Yes."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

B33rChiller posted:

Then the stunner off the top rope that everyone but the defense saw coming: cross.
"Yes."

It's so beautiful

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

B33rChiller posted:

I saw what might be the most powerful self own legal strategy by a pro se ever.
Guy calls his prior attorney to the stand, and he appears via zoom from the hospital on oxygen. Before the questioning, the witness lays out a big warning about how this guy is going to wave privilege, and that he really shouldn't do this.

Guy proceeds, starts arguing with his old attorney on the stand about not being given all the discovery materials while this fella was representing him.

The witness lays out some freaking bombs
"I got you an acquittal on your first felony sexual assault charge, then you accused me of corruption"
Quotes the rules of procedure he was operating under. Explains the rules 3 or 4 separate times. Explains that he handed over all materials when the court ordered it, releasing him from the prior restrictions, etc.
Pro se gets negative useful testimony feom his witness (that he compelled to appear while hospitalized for pneumonia)
"Yes."

My head-canon is that the witness/attorney was offered the opportunity to reschedule this hearing but hated this guy so much that he wanted to have the hearing before the pro se guy got some sense or good advice.

Draadnagel
Jul 16, 2011

..zoekend naar draadnagels bij laag tij.
That is so stupid it's made my loving day. Beautiful.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
It's majesty is too much, I can neither look directly at it, nor look away

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Yeah that was worth a lol.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Pook Good Mook posted:

My head-canon is that the witness/attorney was offered the opportunity to reschedule this hearing but hated this guy so much that he wanted to have the hearing before the pro se guy got some sense or good advice.
That makes some kind of sense.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Pook Good Mook posted:

That kinda turns it from self own on the client's part to dick move on the attorney's part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I’m having a hard time imagining the world in which a pro se litigant acting on good advice is some sort of ticking clock.