Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Go be a public defender in traffic court for a year or two. I saw every big name lawyer in my state doing DUI pleas in traffic court and not getting their clients any better or worse deals than I did. It's criminal defense bread and butter and bank.

DUIs were exactly what I had in mind with the “too boring” half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BigHead posted:

I work in a weird niche field doing white collar regulatory stuff. I have no clients and virtually no court hearings. Pays low six figures but I get a pension and a union, the health care is great, and I do maybe fifteen hours of work a week. Plus the type of work is as far from being an actual lawyer as I could get.

I got a spot open in my shop if anyone wants to live in the pnw and is sick of being a lawyer.

Dammit you had to mention pnw. I'd jump on that without having to move

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SlothBear posted:

DUIs were exactly what I had in mind with the “too boring” half.

Oh DUI's can be extremely interesting. The law is complex and technical with a lot of specific requirements law enforcement has to follow, there's a lot of junk science surrounding the "field sobriety tests", lots of different angles of attack (the breathalyzer machine, the FST's, whether or not the client was actually impaired, etc.), and the clients are often quite interesting and sympathetic -- usually they don't have significant prior records.

My favorite was one client I had who was a diagnosed narcoleptic. They'd charged him with a DUI because he fell asleep at the wheel. He wouldn't take that because he hadn't been drinking. I got the prosecutor to lower it to reckless. "That's fair. I shouldn't have been driving at all with my condition."

I kinda regret never having one go all the way to trial but it was the classic dichotomy -- either the cases were junk, law enforcement hosed up in one way or another, and they got great offers or dismissals, or the cases were locks and they just needed to plead so they did.

Shageletic posted:

Dammit you had to mention pnw. I'd jump on that without having to move

yeah not taking the bar exam again

what if I failed

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Oh I know I would. Based on ny recent brush with taking an exam, I'm considerably dumber than I was in my twenties

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

yeah not taking the bar exam again

what if I failed

WA is a one hour open book multiple choice for reciprocity my friend. They even give you the book - a pdf you can ctrl-f your way through. And with your background you'd be a very strong applicant. Think about it, seriously.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I did a bunch of DUI trials as a PD. It got so brutal asking the sergeant that was the intoxilyzer supervisor the same poo poo month after month. To his credit, the guy actually did follow the manufacturer recommendations for maintenance and calibration etc. He would actually stop and chat with me if I saw him in public, like we were stuck in the same groundhog day situation.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Tokelau All Star posted:

I did a bunch of DUI trials as a PD. It got so brutal asking the sergeant that was the intoxilyzer supervisor the same poo poo month after month. To his credit, the guy actually did follow the manufacturer recommendations for maintenance and calibration etc. He would actually stop and chat with me if I saw him in public, like we were stuck in the same groundhog day situation.

Misery loves company. No one enjoys drunk driving cases.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)

BigHead posted:

I work in a weird niche field doing white collar regulatory stuff. I have no clients and virtually no court hearings. Pays low six figures but I get a pension and a union, the health care is great, and I do maybe fifteen hours of work a week. Plus the type of work is as far from being an actual lawyer as I could get.

I got a spot open in my shop if anyone wants to live in the pnw and is sick of being a lawyer.

Any chance a position like this might be eligible for public interest loan forgiveness - some kind of government agency, perhaps? Many jobs with a pension just happen to be, so this caught my eye. As much as I’m addicted to jury trials, I love and miss the Pacific Northwest a whole lot. And I’d give up the trial sauce to ski and hang out with my family more.

But total PSLF is tantalizingly close for me, at the moment.

A Tasteful Nude fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 3, 2023

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

A Tasteful Nude posted:

Any chance a position like this might be eligible for public interest loan forgiveness - some kind of government agency, perhaps? Many jobs with a pension just happen to be, so this caught my eye. As much as I’m addicted to jury trials, I love and miss the Pacific Northwest a whole lot. And I’d give up the trial sauce to ski and hang out with my family more.

I have no idea about loan forgiveness, but it's a government agency, yes.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
What kind of money is a corporate paralegal making these days?

Some of these kids I’m interacting with in my new job, you’d think they’re making real attorney money the hours (and airs!) they’re putting on.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

A Tasteful Nude posted:

As much as I’m addicted to jury trials, I love and miss the Pacific Northwest a whole lot. And I’d give up the trial sauce to ski and hang out with my family more.

From someone who left a litigation position for a high QoL public service gig, yeah you miss what you miss (in my case writing appellate response briefs was some of the most fun work I ever did as a lawyer) but it's so so worth it overall. Every time I go on a hike, or you'll go ski, it's like "yeah, this was the right call."

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

A Tasteful Nude posted:

Mine went through last month. It wasn’t quite “passed the bar” levels of relief, but it was close.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

What's the best way to find an employment lawyer who specializes in retaliation? Besides googling.

I've never shopped for a lawyer before is there a good review site or something?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Someone in the Corporate Megathread that works in the L&E field offered to help you out, not sure if you saw that.

CarForumPoster posted:

I'm not a lawyer but I work with L&E lawyers every day. I've worked with lawyers on both plaintiff and defense sides. Whistleblower retaliation labor and employment attorneys will represent you on contingency in the USA and offer a free consultation.

To find a lawyer:
I'd suggest looking at Avvo.com and SuperLawyers reviews/ratings as an okay place to start.
I also like searching on courtlistener.com with nature of suit 710 and 751 and seeing who has litigated cases against big name defendants. 710 is fair labor standards act, 751 is FMLA, both laws have retaliation components.
Calling the bar hotline is fine too.
Write down a timeline of the facts before talking to a lawyer will help the conversation a ton.
If the fraud is being perpetrated against the US government or a state government that is a very important detail and you might want a special kind of L&E lawyer that does "Qui Tam" aka "False Claims Act" claims. Most employment lawyers will know someone who practices in that very specialized field, so talking to any L&E lawyer is a good start. Just make sure to mention if the fraud is brought against a government customer.

This is not legal advice, but he absolutely should shut the gently caress up about this on the internet immediately. He may be implicated in crimes that his company may be committing. In many situations there are protections for employees acting on behalf of the company or a supervisor, but that is super fact depends. He may want a lawyer ASAP.

I agree with these statements except the "slam dunk" part. Again, not a lawyer but I'd be careful what I take with me from a current employer. I would definitely definitely definitely, if it was me, talk to an attorney about what I could CC myself.

PM me if you want some suggestions for your area. LMK city and state and I can look someone up or might know someone.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

dpkg chopra posted:

Someone in the Corporate Megathread that works in the L&E field offered to help you out, not sure if you saw that.

Sheesh thanks.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

To expand on that quoted post: note that employment lawyers will not always offer a free consultation, and they won't necessarily agree to represent you on contingency, unless they think you're worth their time and effort.

If you can't find a lawyer that will take your case on contingency, it's probably because it's a weak claim.

If it's retaliation related to employment discrimination, then you can choose file your complaint directly with the EEOC without first going through an attorney. Whether this is a wise course of action may depend on your know how.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

In house or law firm

I’m trying to think of a way to be more explicit without completely doxing myself. I don’t know.

There is a SA lawyers Discord channel that you might consider joining. 90% of the posts that used to happen here happen there now.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Vox Nihili posted:

There is a SA lawyers Discord channel that you might consider joining. 90% of the posts that used to happen here happen there now.

Can you share the link?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
what is your stance on Dak

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BigHead posted:

Lol, are you me? Well except the PNW part.
Congrats on being an excop.

Oh DUI's can be extremely interesting. The law is complex and technical with a lot of specific requirements law enforcement has to follow, there's a lot of junk science surrounding the "field sobriety tests", lots of different angles of attack (the breathalyzer machine, the FST's, whether or not the client was actually impaired, etc.), and the clients are often quite interesting and sympathetic -- usually they don't have significant prior records.

My favorite was one client I had who was a diagnosed narcoleptic. They'd charged him with a DUI because he fell asleep at the wheel. He wouldn't take that because he hadn't been drinking. I got the prosecutor to lower it to reckless. "That's fair. I shouldn't have been driving at all with my condition."

I kinda regret never having one go all the way to trial but it was the classic dichotomy -- either the cases were junk, law enforcement hosed up in one way or another, and they got great offers or dismissals, or the cases were locks and they just needed to plead so they did.

Agreed. DUIs were by far my favorite misdo case because I get to nerd the gently caress out on science poo poo. The drug cases were extra fun. I've never had a client convicted of a DUI where the only chemical in the blood was THC.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

In a similar vein, saw a case once that hinged on whether the Florida schedule of controlled substances definition of "cocaine" was exactly the same as the federal one or not.*

*Cocaine is generally defined as including cocaine itself along with certain related chemicals, salts, derivatives, etc. and the argument was whether salts of derivatives and derivatives of salts 1) existed and 2) were both covered by both laws as written.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

EwokEntourage posted:

what is your stance on Dak

This is important

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Also I already know his stance on the Walter Payton Man of the Year 2022 and its NOT GOOD

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Muir posted:

Can you share the link?

Just for being orderly and poo poo, anyone needing a discord invite please post about it below and you'll be pmd an invite. If you don't have pm please make a temp email account.

You need to be:

- some form of lawyer or lawyer dawg
- some form of goon
- not a disruptive rear end in a top hat (HDD is already on the server)

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Nice piece of fish posted:

Just for being orderly and poo poo, anyone needing a discord invite please post about it below and you'll be pmd an invite. If you don't have pm please make a temp email account.

You need to be:

- some form of goon

May I please have an invite?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

builds character posted:

May I please have an invite?

Judging from your post history jesus h christ but also you must be a lawyer so sure.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

You need to be:

- some form of goon

I check all three boxes, so yes, please send an invite. I have PMs.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Judging from your post history jesus h christ but also you must be a lawyer so sure.

yeah… :sigh:

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

You need to be:

- some form of goon

May I also please have an invite?

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

You need to be:

- some form of goon

I'm a lawyer let me in plz

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

feels like i find enough ways to waste my time

animedatingsim
Mar 27, 2022

You need to be:

- some form of goon

plz send me an invite, i've got all 3

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
hooray - more lawyers!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
said nobody ever

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Meat! Meat! Meat! Meat!

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
I'm already in the discord.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

animedatingsim posted:

plz send me an invite, i've got all 3

I sent you my PM please respond

animedatingsim
Mar 27, 2022

I sent you my PM please respond

sorry I was away for awhile, I PM'd you

animedatingsim
Mar 27, 2022
I got COVID from the Feb 2023 California bar exam lol

(I'm barred in a different state, so yeah I can post here)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
im barred from several states as well