Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I want to see that transcript.

"Sir, the question was: is this your handwriting?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I'm reading a brief (edit: written by a lawyer) on some mundane thing. In one singular page, the brief uses three fonts, three different parts are bolded for a total of nine lines of bolding, three lines are italicized, three are underlined, there are single space, double space, and 1.5 spaced lines, three lines are ALL CAPITAL, two different indents are used, two different list styles are used, there are two semicolons in the same sentence separated by three words, there is one dangling quotation mark and in the other quote the two quotation marks are different fonts, and he misspelled his client's name. Oh and the page number is slightly off center.

Frankly it's a work of art that I wish I could show you.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 7, 2024

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

You're few colors away from a first grader doing it

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Somebody lost a bet or took a dare?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Whenever I get docs like that its some old gently caress who should have retired decades ago. Same copy pasted out of WordPerfect poo poo they've always been using since 1994. No need to correct the formatting because no judge has ever given a poo poo.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Another option is lawyers who convert every loving PDF to Word instead of just asking for the Word copy.

Now you get to work on whatever freeform interpretation of formatting Acrobat decided to cook up today.

Yes, of course this regular rear end paragraph is actually a double column with continuous section breaks after every sentence.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I get that a lot at my job too but it's documents that they should have already had a Word copy of, they just take finalized PDF, convert it to Word, remove the watermarks we used Adobe to add, then edit it. My friend, just start with the Word copy you gave us in the beginning and spare us all this fugue state of formatting.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

joat mon posted:

Somebody lost a bet or took a dare?

Paralegal was on vacation and the attorney decided he could figure out how word processors work.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

dpkg chopra posted:

Another option is lawyers who convert every loving PDF to Word instead of just asking for the Word copy.

That's New Fangled; lawyers over 60 have their 900year old paralegals retype all the discovery requests by hand

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Speaking of amazing briefs did you read this one yet

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Shageletic posted:

I probably wouldn't have stopped myself from putting in at least one Star Wars reference. As a law student, I had an interview with some state Supreme Court justices and when one of them saw I had done some editing for a Star Wars RPG, he "just had to ask about it."

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Shageletic posted:

You left off the best part!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lmao

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
I think that one's an edit.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I think that one's an edit.

It is. The real version is still hilarious.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Me a few months ago: how hard can estate wrapup/tax stuff be, I can handle this as executor myself.
Me now, reading through CLE materials and making a million phone calls: this is insane. I should have hired someone else. I hate this.

And this is for an estate that isn't going through probate!

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Against all advice I am considering law school. Based on a decade of experience, I want to work as a lawyer for the cannabis industry when I graduate. Either regionally helping people get licenses, IP, etc., or nationally helping to write better laws, or merge state and federal frameworks when that happens. Not particularly interested in doing criminal stuff. I get how fluffy this sounds - that's not me.

Not sure where to start though. My network tells me that its a growth field, but no one knows anything specific.

Is this something I can take into account when choosing schools? Right now I'm thinking I apply to schools in states with big industries (and ideally outside of big legal markets, cause I don't have the grades for T1 schools), and aim to do business licensing and compliance stuff to build a client base. But I'm wondering if there's some other path I'm not considering.

Is there any school that's lower-ranked but specialized for like, ag patents? Or is this something I could do as a government lawyer? Public interest maybe? Does this stuff touch environmental law? I don't really know what those big picture disciplines translate to in practice and its limiting my imagination.

Is this significantly stupider than going to law school in general?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
You can just spend 150k in lawyer’s fees to review your bill proposal and save yourself the aggravation.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

evilweasel posted:

the litigators in this thread spend most of our time either reading people’s emails or using those emails against people

don’t email

I spend a fairly large amount of time pointlessly telling people not to write stupid things on our internal chat app. Might as well not bother honestly.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

JamesKPolk posted:

Against all advice I am considering law school. Based on a decade of experience, I want to work as a lawyer for the cannabis industry when I graduate. Either regionally helping people get licenses, IP, etc., or nationally helping to write better laws, or merge state and federal frameworks when that happens. Not particularly interested in doing criminal stuff. I get how fluffy this sounds - that's not me.

Not sure where to start though. My network tells me that its a growth field, but no one knows anything specific.

Is this something I can take into account when choosing schools? Right now I'm thinking I apply to schools in states with big industries (and ideally outside of big legal markets, cause I don't have the grades for T1 schools), and aim to do business licensing and compliance stuff to build a client base. But I'm wondering if there's some other path I'm not considering.

Is there any school that's lower-ranked but specialized for like, ag patents? Or is this something I could do as a government lawyer? Public interest maybe? Does this stuff touch environmental law? I don't really know what those big picture disciplines translate to in practice and its limiting my imagination.

Get a good lsat, apply to schools in the states you wanna work in, go to the highest rank school that offers the most money, and work your connections

Then enjoy being a spins wheel insurance defense attorney

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lol. Whatever you want to work at will absolutely not be what you work as. Went to school for public interest law, spin wheel, now working compliance in city govt. Basically the same

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

JamesKPolk posted:

At the national level, the cannabis policy entities and the industry at large is in a state of autocannibalization and consolidation as the massive initial hemp overinvestment has caught up with much of the industry and supply prices have fallen. The remaining growth areas are VC consolidation entities, proxies for actual organized crime, and people taking advantage of the regulatory chaos to sell things that wouldn't be lawful even after reclassification because they're actually cannabis adulterated with other substances. It's not a particularly good time to pursue this, and even after the anticipated reclassification of cannabis, it's unlikely that the same level of investment will occur.

Where it does occur, it's going to be working for some of the worst industry people you can imagine-cutouts for tobacco, pharma and VC groups. Even if you wanted to work for these federal trade entities (like the hemp roundtable), it's currently mostly a snow job parasitizing industry by putting forward show bills that they know won't pass, often with terrible provisions. No one motivated by good policy is working in that space.

At the state and county level, and in direct services, as far as I know the market is filled, mostly by established existing firms who don't just do cannabis.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 2, 2024

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

What he said. As well as what everyone else said about how tough it is to go to law school wanting to only end up doing one specific thing.

Also, I’m assuming you don’t have applications in right now based on how you posted. Which means you’d be starting fall of 2025. And so taking the bar and starting as an attorney fall of 2028 at the earliest.

Think back a half decade and think of how the cannabis landscape was then and compare it to now. Now speed up that acceleration for the coming half-decade. What are the odds that any of (a) the legislation still needs to be written, (b) the lobbying space looks like it does now, and/or (c) the on-the-ground actors are still looking for help with barriers to entry, versus them being established and so having less legal work to do?

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

JamesKPolk posted:

No, but only because the difference between a 9/10 and a 10/10 bad idea isn't that much.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

JamesKPolk posted:

. My network tells me that its a growth field,

Pun intended

But also no it's not. That's a bad reason to go to law school and you won't make any money

Edit: I hadn't read all the replies first before poo poo posting but I agree with all of them don't go to law school for this

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Going to law school because you like to argue is a better reason than weed law

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Weed law? What are you trying to pull? Better go in for tree law.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

just because you like to smoke weed doesn't mean weed law will be an interesting career. you will be doing some other kind of law, just with a weed company as a client.

if that kind of law isn't interesting without a weed client it's not interesting with one.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
As opposed to the interesting kind of law, which isssss.... *crickets*

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
I struggle to see how "weed law" isn't really just some flavor of either business, property, or criminal law, depending on where you practice.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Nice piece of fish posted:

Tax, obvs.

And yeah, like a lot of firms we have a cannabis practice, but everyone is some flavor of transactional or regulatory lawyer. Your best bet would have been going to law school like five years ago and trying for the corporate group at a firm that does weed. Sorry, weed law. (This still would have been a terrible idea.)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Nice piece of fish posted:

I get the impression that family law could be interesting.
For values of "interesting" mostly within the range of "depressing" to "gently caress this, I'm going to flip burgers"
From what I gather, the zoo is seldom boring

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
OSHA violation prosecutions were fun for the five seconds I did them.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

JamesKPolk posted:

As many have said, you’re not going to do what you think. I highly recommend you do something else with your time and money. If you can do calculus, a career in finance is much more lucrative and less work.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you can do calculus, a career in finance is much more lucrative and less work.

Screw you and also you are 100% correct.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Hell yeah thanks everyone. The more people I talked to without hearing "no, don't, run" the more nervous I was getting that I wasn't getting good advice. The only lawyers I know well enough to ask this stuff in person have had kinda weird (albeit successful) career paths.

evilweasel posted:

just because you like to smoke weed doesn't mean weed law will be an interesting career. you will be doing some other kind of law, just with a weed company as a client.

if that kind of law isn't interesting without a weed client it's not interesting with one.

No, it is, just hoping to do something with the knowledge I already have. Because (and this is probably the bigger problem) I'm not confident in this career being worth the time if I don't have some sort of leg up over the field, even if it is interesting to me on its own.

Pook Good Mook posted:

I struggle to see how "weed law" isn't really just some flavor of either business, property, or criminal law, depending on where you practice.

Emily Spinach posted:

Tax, obvs.

And yeah, like a lot of firms we have a cannabis practice, but everyone is some flavor of transactional or regulatory lawyer. Your best bet would have been going to law school like five years ago and trying for the corporate group at a firm that does weed. Sorry, weed law. (This still would have been a terrible idea.)

Thanks, that's kind of what I was wondering.

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Think back a half decade and think of how the cannabis landscape was then and compare it to now. Now speed up that acceleration for the coming half-decade. What are the odds that any of (a) the legislation still needs to be written, (b) the lobbying space looks like it does now, and/or (c) the on-the-ground actors are still looking for help with barriers to entry, versus them being established and so having less legal work to do?

Honestly, pretty great? Maybe not (b). But I see (c) holding steady in most states that have it already and (a) increasing a lot. That's the motivation. But again this is all from a very limited perspective inside the industry, which is why I'm asking in the first place, and if it's not guaranteed I'm even going to end up working in that area then it seems very not worth rolling the dice on.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

B33rChiller posted:

I get the impression that family law could be interesting.
For values of "interesting" mostly within the range of "depressing" to "gently caress this, I'm going to flip burgers"
From what I gather, the zoo is seldom boring

There's always a new twist on a problem and it always leaves your soul a withered husk.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
To be fair getting pot charges dismissed and making cops all mad about it is fuckin awesome

But that won't be a career option much longer

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Eminent Domain posted:

There's always a new twist on a problem and it always leaves your soul a withered husk.
Yeah, I just heard second hand from a pal who articled at a family law place. He immediately began looking for other paths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

To be fair getting pot charges dismissed and making cops all mad about it is fuckin awesome

But that won't be a career option much longer

At least in my office, we couldn't get a jury who will convict on weed possession if we were even motivated to bring the charges, which we aren't.

The only time we prosecute standalone possession is alongside something like OWI where they were driving while high. And even there we dismiss the possession charge with a guilty plea.

Most officers are aware of the reality and don't even bother to write the charges anymore.