Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Reserving my first page posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
[Insert supporting precedent here]

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
[this point feels weak--delete this section?]

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
If you're thinking of going to law school and didn't enthusiastically read the entire tedious, unending wall of text that serves as our OP(s) here, you probably shouldn't go. Also, if you did, what the gently caress is wrong with you? And you still probably shouldn't go.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
GET MONEY, did you make your decision? We need fresh blood.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

btw for the last thread

code:
nm 	        2603
Hot Dog Day #91 1999
Phil Moscowitz 	1803
blarzgh 	1670
CaptainScraps 	1663
ActusRhesus 	1560
mastershakeman 	1528
Soothing Vapors 1453
Roger_Mudd 	1326
evilweasel 	1300
WhiskeyJuvenile 1285
Mr. Nice! 	1199
joat mon 	1051
entris          829
HiddenReplaced 	828
MoFauxHawk 	676
Ainsley McTree 	671
Discendo Vox 	666
Green Crayons 	664
BigHead 	644
Kalman 	     609
Look Sir Droids 589
Petey 	    564
Vox Nihili 	559
SlyFrog 	548
mikeraskol 	543
The Warszawa 	530
Adar 	   528
gvibes 	   524
Pook Good Mook 	524

congrats to discendo "not a lawyer" "low-tier vox" Vox for achieving The Devil's Number

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Beefeater1980 posted:

Now I’m at one of the Chinese tech unicorns in a pure business role, introduced by a former client. I get to use my old firm for investments sometimes, which is nice.

jesus christ i hope youre not one of the people i have to interact with

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GET MONEY posted:

Accepted the US offer :c00l: but deferred a year to maybe still come to my senses wring out more cash

lol i didnt realize any competitive institutions still allowed deferrals, i guess it's a buyers' market again

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
in two (2) years i will reveal my practice area. prepare your disgust.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

I'm telling myself that thread about the gay kids inheritance is a troll so I can sleep at night

People post on Reddit about being defrauded or otherwise stolen from by their parents in a huge variety of ways pretty much daily. Most of those posts are probably real.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

The trump thread is 100% convinced Ellis is out to ratfuck the case and I dont know how to adequately explain to then that no, most article iii judges are just egodriven preening turds

In my (extremely brief) experience with Article 3 judges, the younger/newer ones are thoughtful and generally quite reasonable if a bit paranoid, while the older ones are effectively powerful, ancient, hateful liches.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Alexeythegreat posted:

Oh how I wish it worked like that
But I'm Russian-qualified, I wouldn't be able to get a transfer even if I were to work in a Moscow office of a magic circle/biglaw firm

Had that been an option, I would've jumped the chance without a single doubt

Maybe try to work for a US/UK firm in Russia anyway? I can only imagine that this would help your chances of eventually getting out, even if they have no interest in letting you transfer internally.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

phil moscowitz voted for trump and you have the nerve to imply I'm the worst person in this thread????

He always struck me as more of the Gary Johnson type.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
NPOF, do they have same-sex marriage in Norway? Asking for a friend. I'm 1/16 Norwegian btw, but could easily pass as 1/8. My friend, I mean, is, and could.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
The horde of Chinese and European lawyers rushing over to get their LLM in the US are basically viewed as cash pinatas by US law schools. To the extent that they're somehow helping to subsidize the core $60k for a JD business, even.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

We absolutely do, full marriage equality and I accept your proposal, we can get hitched in the spring :3:

We actually have gameshows for people who are 1/16 norwegian. I already have a norwegian name for you, it's «Knut».

Finally, so glad the awkward stage is behind us.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

Whelp.

Motion for sanctions against me dismissed without argument. Better luck next time.

Justice delayed is justice denied.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SlyFrog posted:

Y'all need to read Hillbilly Elegy.

Ha, like I'd voluntarily read a book written by a Yale graduate. I suffered through enough of that in law school.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 16, 2018

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

terrorist ambulance posted:

What a load of stupid poo poo

"Vance escaped their fate by joining the Marines and serving in Iraq. Afterward, he attended Ohio State and Yale Law School, where he was mentored by Amy Chua, the law professor and tiger mom. He now lives in San Francisco, where he works at Mithril Capital Management, the investment firm helmed by Peter Thiel."

He speaks for, uh, someone.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
His solutions for those neighbors are seemingly 1) cut welfare and 2) improve the "culture" of those communities... somehow. It's the same prescription that the GOP has for inner-city black communities. He provides a sympathetic backstory for evil.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

There's no way that jews waste their money on such an worthless product

Jesus Christ.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

blarzgh posted:

Or, you could do I like did and spend 90 seconds reading the article.

I know you're trolling but its so convincingly disguised as your standard-fare, faux-progressive twitter rhetoric that it annoys me via placebo effect.

I'm absolutely serious and those are the solutions he prescribes in his dumbshit book, lmao.

I'm proud of you for reading the article, though. I'm sure he will rescue his fellow Appalachians via tax and regulatory cuts any day now.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 19, 2018

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

Just ask about firm culture or something. Is it collegial compared to other firms or whatever.

Wow, he asked about culture? Probably scared of putting in the hours, strike him.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

sullat posted:

JFC, that's like, super bad. Unless he works for the administration and ethics rules don't apply to him. Or maybe Texas is more relaxed about that sort of thing.

.1 hours, consultation on ethics issues.

Lol if you don't bill by quarter hour.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

blarzgh posted:

Pretty sure thats the Admissions department

I know a guy from law school who failed the bar exam 3 (or more) times. Not sure if he ever passed, actually.

Turns out he works for the school's admissions department now.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

Did career services find him the job?

They were probably involved. Mission accomplished, I guess.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Throatwarbler did it right and I did it wrong. It doesn’t matter if you are a good person or have good intentions. All that matters is you know the right people and do the right dance. You can insult the largest religion in the profession so long as you play the game.

Whoa, who went and insulted Catholicism?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Manafort found guilty on 8 counts (6x tax fraud, 2x bank fraud), jury hung on 10 other counts.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Learning about sovereign immunity in law school was a real eye-opener.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GET MONEY posted:

Yes, I recognized that, but the “magic bullet” approach is appealing and it’s not clear whether it would fail in areas other than niche litigation. For example, from what I’ve heard, tax practice can be somewhat magic bullet-y. I’d like to know if there is anything else?

Just do corporate law, where everything can be handwaved with the magic phrase "material adverse effect."

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Just gonna drop this baby off here:

"It's called flipping and it almost ought to be illegal," Trump said in the interview, adding he's witnessed similar scenarios over his decades in public life. "I know all about flipping, 30, 40 years I have been watching flippers. Everything is wonderful and then they get 10 years in jail and they flip on whoever the next highest one is or as high as you can go." 

Suspects cooperating with prosecutors in exchange for a reduced sentence is a central feature of the criminal justice system, but Trump has long valued loyalty over legal precedent or practice.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Dammit

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Sorry, what I mean is: the law is vague, and the governments that are constructing the precedential systems involved have really free reign about what counts or not. They're going to do so based heavily on what their different publics perceive, and on what scandals and abuses reach the public sphere. This produces a really weird, rare situation where entities that are trying to create internal policies around GDPR compliance are suddenly asking themselves not only "what will make people sue us" or "what will make us compliant", but "what will be viewed as acceptable in the eyes of society?" The absence of a clear law makes them indirectly almost have to grapple with the morality of the situation, as a proxy for the law.

Do as thou wilt, etc etc

I think he was just joking

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GET MONEY posted:

Upon research I've narrowed the most magic bullet-y practices down to:

• Antitrust
  • Appellate practice
  • Bankruptcy
  • Entertainment & sports
  • Insurance coverage
  • Insurance defense
  • Intellectual property
  • Labor & employment
  • Personal injury
  • Tax
  • Telecommunication

Any thoughts on which areas are dying/thriving, or offer the best shot at biglaw employment?

This is just a completely perplexing list. A lot of these are grinding, unexciting practice areas.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GET MONEY posted:

No qualms there, "goodness" is relative -- those areas in particular just seemed more formulaic and less strategic after diving a bit deeper.

1) Law school or not
2) Litigation or transactional
3) Do summer rotations at a firm (biglaw = get money)
4) The firm will helpfully pigeonhole you in something, enjoy your life w/ the law (the next 3 years, at which point you scrub out)
5) Post updates every couple weeks, describing your numerous affairs etc.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Honestly I would have let slyfrog move in with me so he could teach me warhammer.

But then he liked Hillbilly Elegy.

I've got the opposite issue. Read what you want, but only quality tabletop gaming in this household.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

JohnCompany posted:

Hey folks, look like I have a second round interview for an interesting in-house position coming up (not a typical corporate client but I'd not say more yet). For reference I'm a midlevel transactional associate at an NYC biglaw shop. Any tips on preparing for/what to expect in an interview for an in-house position, particularly one that's related to, but not directly in, my current practice area?

I don't have any tips but I would also love to see some responses to this.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

I didn't need to go out even three years to prove you objectively wrong.

I assume that he's referring specifically to tabletop RPGs.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Toona the Cat posted:

My review company asked me to mail in my key until a new project comes online. At least I can get to work on my Netflix/Hulu/Amazon backlog.

Oh my god it was all real, wasn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

I really want Get Money to be real and replace Toona 3-4 yrs from now.

In 10 years GET MONEY will be here on the SomethingAwful VR forums (presented by Amazon Web Services) telling new hopefuls (outside the US, of course) about how he was totally on the fast track to partner until Trump outlawed the practice of law in 2025.

Most of us will be dead by that point, of course.