Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Against all advice I am considering law school. Based on a decade of experience, I want to work as a lawyer for the cannabis industry when I graduate. Either regionally helping people get licenses, IP, etc., or nationally helping to write better laws, or merge state and federal frameworks when that happens. Not particularly interested in doing criminal stuff. I get how fluffy this sounds - that's not me.

Not sure where to start though. My network tells me that its a growth field, but no one knows anything specific.

Is this something I can take into account when choosing schools? Right now I'm thinking I apply to schools in states with big industries (and ideally outside of big legal markets, cause I don't have the grades for T1 schools), and aim to do business licensing and compliance stuff to build a client base. But I'm wondering if there's some other path I'm not considering.

Is there any school that's lower-ranked but specialized for like, ag patents? Or is this something I could do as a government lawyer? Public interest maybe? Does this stuff touch environmental law? I don't really know what those big picture disciplines translate to in practice and its limiting my imagination.

Is this significantly stupider than going to law school in general?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Hell yeah thanks everyone. The more people I talked to without hearing "no, don't, run" the more nervous I was getting that I wasn't getting good advice. The only lawyers I know well enough to ask this stuff in person have had kinda weird (albeit successful) career paths.

evilweasel posted:

just because you like to smoke weed doesn't mean weed law will be an interesting career. you will be doing some other kind of law, just with a weed company as a client.

if that kind of law isn't interesting without a weed client it's not interesting with one.

No, it is, just hoping to do something with the knowledge I already have. Because (and this is probably the bigger problem) I'm not confident in this career being worth the time if I don't have some sort of leg up over the field, even if it is interesting to me on its own.

Pook Good Mook posted:

I struggle to see how "weed law" isn't really just some flavor of either business, property, or criminal law, depending on where you practice.

Emily Spinach posted:

Tax, obvs.

And yeah, like a lot of firms we have a cannabis practice, but everyone is some flavor of transactional or regulatory lawyer. Your best bet would have been going to law school like five years ago and trying for the corporate group at a firm that does weed. Sorry, weed law. (This still would have been a terrible idea.)

Thanks, that's kind of what I was wondering.

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Think back a half decade and think of how the cannabis landscape was then and compare it to now. Now speed up that acceleration for the coming half-decade. What are the odds that any of (a) the legislation still needs to be written, (b) the lobbying space looks like it does now, and/or (c) the on-the-ground actors are still looking for help with barriers to entry, versus them being established and so having less legal work to do?

Honestly, pretty great? Maybe not (b). But I see (c) holding steady in most states that have it already and (a) increasing a lot. That's the motivation. But again this is all from a very limited perspective inside the industry, which is why I'm asking in the first place, and if it's not guaranteed I'm even going to end up working in that area then it seems very not worth rolling the dice on.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Muir posted:

And even if the work still needs to be done then, what are the odds that you as a fresh graduate from some random law school gets to be involved the way you hope?

Consider me well-convinced that for me, anyway, pretty low.

But I'm wondering now, do y'all just not get to choose what you do for a living? What's the dynamic there? That sounds miserable lol