Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction
I'm sad that I can't get the Supreme Courtship demo to play on my Windows 10 computer. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

This week on Elected Judges and the American Criminal Justice system: Nowata County (OK) sheriff, staff resign over safety issues with jail; sheriff alleges judge tried to bribe her to keep it open https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/sta...80c8ae59bf.html

After maybe being ordered by the judge to re-open the jail and refusing to comply...

Her resignation letter has some more details: https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/b33ye1/resignation_letter_of_nowata_county_oklahoma/

No one will argue the sheriff wasted her budget on office signs:

My home state of Oklahoma is a pre-post-apocalyptic wasteland. So many in jail, and no one willing to pay taxes. 10 elderly for every 1 working adult. A populace to dumb to function. Texas companies send all the roughnecks to take oil and gas for cheaper than they can get anywhere else. We let them because it hastens climate change, and thus the sweet embrace of death.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Sovereign immunity in Texas is really something. I still can't get over how Texas Tech University fired football coach Mike Leach, refused to pay his salary under the terms of the contract, and Texas courts ruled he had no right to sue to enforce the payment obligations under the contract. In my state (Oklahoma), sov immunity has been expressly waived in certain situations, like contracts.

Note to self: Don't do any kind of business with Texas state government

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

blarzgh posted:

There's like a whole laundry list of waivers of sovereign immunity though.

You're right about that, but there's some pretty big stuff that's not on the list. Some stuff that Oklahoma attempts to limit its liability on appears to be patently unconstitutional. For instance, they tried to limit damages for constitutional claims like inverse condemnation a few years ago. "Oh, yeah, we stole your property worth $50,000, but we only have to pay $25,000 because we were to lazy to go through the normal eminent domain proceedings..."

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

blarzgh posted:

The question arose in the context of a Slander of Title real estate claim where a "Quitclaim Deed" that wasn't actually a quitclaim deed got filed and killed a sale, and we were discussing trial strategy, and since Slander of Title is just [Slander Elements] + [Lost a Specific Sale of Real Property] it came up.

Perhaps I misread your earlier posts, but is it not just a burden-shifting standard, where plaintiffs must meet some initial burden, and if they meet that burden, the defendants must bear the burden of establishing the statement was substantially true?

And does the lack of pleading the affirmative defense of truth prevent you from introducing the same evidence (on cross-examination, lets say) as a rebuttal to the Plaintiff's evidence at trial? And why can't you just ask to amend the pleadings to conform to the evidence during the trial if you need to? Courts in my state have always generously allowed amendments to conform to the evidence.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Every thread I'm reading on SA is talking about these camps - the topic has even interrupted TFF's constant regional BBQ arguments. A tipping point, perhaps?

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

ActusRhesus posted:

I am unfamiliar with this term. What’s it mean?

Also I can’t post in D&D without getting probated. So I stick to this, video games, navy poo poo, and legal questions.

Just chiming in to say that I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets in trouble every time I post in D&D

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

do those even exist
[/quote]

I drove a v4 camaro in the early 2000's and it might have been my favorite car ever. The gas mileage on the highway was shockingly good.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

joat mon posted:

GM has never used a V4. The inline 4 available in the new Camaros puts out 275hp. I'd take one in a heartbeat.

In the early 80s the Camaro could also be had with an inline 4. It was more powerful than any engine available for the 'Vette.

Guys/gals I just got My Cousin Vinnie'd in the law thread -- what a great day!

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

What do child brides have to do with large bodies of water anyways? In the water wars, he/she with the largest supply of plastic straws is king!

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

joat mon posted:

Oklahoma can go with murder 2 right off the bat, 10 to life. The old manslaughter is probably too old to enhance it but would be 20-L with one prior felony.

This is late, but hello fellow oklagoon

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

joat mon posted:

Howdy, neighbor! What kind of work are you doing?

State government: the best kind

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

joat mon posted:

Trial by combat invoked in a family law case:

Why Japanese katanas specifically? Thunderdome or nothing!

e: Lets resolve contract disputes with "Bust a Deal, Face the Wheel"

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

sullat posted:

Hey, that's our office band name.

Trial by Combat is a pretty metal sounding office band name

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

I'm curious what the posters in this thread think about Trump's defense to the Obstruction Article. Trump's obvious bad faith aside, is Congress required to go to Court to enforce a subpoena? I think that would be bad for the public interest, even if it was a legally sound proposition.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

blarzgh posted:

And before anyone gets the idea that I'm opining on the impeachment, understand:

The fall of the Roman Republic was the result of a ton of factors, including:
- Numerous, costly wars abroad
- Increasing economic inequality
- Political polarization (Equestrian v. Optimate, Romans v. Italians, Farmers v. State)
- The relentless erosion of political moors, and respect for political institutions
- Populist uprising

and it feels like looking in a really lovely mirror right now.

The bit about old rules of conduct being disregarded in order to prevent opponents from getting "a win" is pretty chilling.

Not for this thread, but maybe in America 2.0 they will find a way to dissuade zero-sum gamers from serving in government.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

At this point, I realized I made a terrible typo and I was only asking about the SECOND impeachment article - the one about Obstruction of Congress.

I appreciate and encourage the comedy responses, though; much better than I deserve.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Pook Good Mook posted:

In a just world, none of Trumps attorneys should get jobs after this embarrassment.

I don't think they're being "unethical," they're just intentionally dumbing themselves down and pretending to be the densest pieces of poo poo in human history. A free market shouldn't let any of these guys off the hook.

In a better world everyone would learn that working for Trump is career poison.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Eminent Domain posted:

I need to get a stamp to slap on client's piles of emails and poo poo that says "You look lovely in this too." I can count on one hand the amount of times the claim "this is super useful and shows so and so is the worst" actually panned out.

That reminds me of every family law case I ever had.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Top Hats Monthly posted:

$900,000 in student debt is remarkable

Hers is only $300,000 or so (It doesn't say if she went on to get an LLM). Her husband's must make up the rest.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Stuff like this persuades me that there are starkly different realities between different groups of U.S. citizens. I'm sure there are large numbers of people reading this and fist-pumping because they think it's such an irrefutable argument. I, on the other hand, am cringing just trying to read it because its so poorly reasoned and poorly written. I don't think I could ever find something like that persuasive.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

blarzgh posted:

So, you're just now coming around on this idea? Let me point you back a few years to, oh, I don't know, the 60's. (the 1860s)

That's fair, but it has never seemed so stark before. I'm coming from a deep red state having grown up very religious, and I can usually understand where my pollical opposites are coming from because I remember holding the same views years ago. I don't think I ever would have subscribed to this kind of stuff. This goes way beyond differences in "spin" or interpretation.

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's very similar to the letter written by white house counsel (dictated by Trump) back during the house hearings. One of my professors, a phd in finance, cheered the letter and said it was akin to Trump giving the old "suck it" crotch chop to congress.

Trump is the Boomers' version of President Camacho

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

ActusRhesus posted:

My JAG Corps softball team in DC is the reason there is now a no open containers rule for games.

We all had dreams of making significant changes to the law, but you actually did it!

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

nm posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo and why am I seeing it in a hotel in Seattle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J08lxz-z5DU

That looks like some copyright infringement to me

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Isn't it too late for DOJ to change its recommendations on Roger Stone's sentencing? Does the judge even have to listen to any new recommendations?

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

joat mon posted:

Like My-yammah, OK?

And don't let the San Antonio folks get started.

I took great joy out of all the different ways out-of-state folks attempted to pronounce "Chickasha, OK" [Chick-uh-Shay]

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I think we should have a cadre of roving, genetically engineered judges/inquisitors with full imperium and the power to unilaterally pass judgment and execute sentence on any person. Seems better than this stupid system where 20,000 dumbass rednecks can overrule 50 million people and install a clown like Trump as president.

What roles will Diane Lane and Rob Schneider play in our future justice system?

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

technically Canadian

This is the name of my office synth-pop band

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

My Canadian immigration and assimilation checklist so far:

1. Memorize national anthem in English and French
2. Regain my former proficiencies in politeness and snow driving
3. Practice eating while holding steak knife in left hand
4. Develop passionate opinions about hockey
5. Study both Canadian and US history (because Canadians know both)
6. Destroy all pictures of myself in brownface
7. Practice saying "ashphalt" instead of asphalt
8. Finish watching all seasons of Trailer Park Boys and Letterkenny
9. Purchase and prominently display portrait of the Queen
10. Purge any reference to my former life in "the states"

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

blarzgh posted:

I know for 100% fact that a local assistant DA the other day did a criminal trial wearing no pants.

....because she wore a skirt!

In 2019, that would have been even less funny.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

Tbh I would go with criticizing HOW these lawyers represent lovely clients, not JUST that they represent lovely clients. Dersh and Sekulow beclowned themselves with how they defended Trump. If Lightfoot or lawyers repping Dow did some unethical or clowny bullshit in representing their clients, then gently caress 'em. But no thank you kn dumping on them just because they repped bad people.

My prime example of judging a lawyer on how they rep a client is the lawyer for the affluenza kid in Texas. gently caress that bullshit.

Yeah I really can't get mad at a lawyer for how his/her client pleads or how they testify (if they choose to); but if that same lawyer goes on TV just to taint the jury pool and spread lies, then gently caress them forever. Same goes for lawyers who deliberately misrepresent the facts or the law in court - even when it doesn't work, it increases the cost and time of litigation on the rest of us.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

So how about that Gorsuch decision in McGirt v. Oklahoma?

As a lawgoon and someone who hates Trump, I am delightfully entertained.

As an attorney for the State of Oklahoma, I am dreading what this likely means for the future of enforcing environmental regulations. I hope I'm wrong.

Gorsuch's "C'mon guys it won't be that bad, don't' be so pessimistic" stuff at the end of his opinion honestly pissed me off. He might be right, but it came across as pretty callous given the legal and political difficulties we already deal with.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

joat mon posted:

Hopefully some smart people in the AGs office already made those plans and already coordinated with their counterparts with the Tribes and that stuff's already included as part of the (I expect) concurrent jurisdiction agreement.

their what now?

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

joat mon posted:

But I get what you're saying. If so, that's on them.

e: Did the OkAG seriously not have a plan for what do do if McGirt was reversed/Murphy was affirmed?

I don't work for the OkAG's office, but I have heard nothing about any plans they have. I doubt they would have coordinated with the tribes, as those communications would have been used to contradict the state's legal arguments before SCOTUS.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

joat mon posted:

ee: Isn't most of the toothy environmental stuff in OK Federal, anyway?

Maybe the most toothy, but not the most commonly used. For mining and oil and gas, the state requires some liability bonds that are pretty important to make sure things get cleaned up when the company goes belly-up. Tribes in Oklahoma in the past have failed to require such bonds, with predictable results.

Private civil lawsuits based on common law play a large role in holding bad actors accountable in Oklahoma. Those types of lawsuits rely on the jurisdiction of state courts.

The right of state employees to enter onto private property to inspect relies on the jurisdiction of state law.

Protection of groundwater in Oklahoma is almost entirely state law. Oklahoma recently settled jurisdictional claims to groundwater with the Choctaw and Chickasaw in Southeastern OK, so at least there's that.

Regulation of stream water use (taking water out and using it, not discharge into it) is also almost entirely state law. Again, not a problem with Choctaws and Chickasaws.

Just some things that worry me.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

As much as I've enjoyed Twitter over the years, it really is a cesspool of lies and is probably actively destroying US democracy.

I can't count how many times this week I've seen tweets from people claiming to be lawyers talking about the "Fleeing Felon Rule" as if it was the actual law. Who the gently caress are these people?

What motivates a person to pretend to be a lawyer for the sole purpose of committing malpractice? What kind of reward could they possibly hope to receive from that?

edit: I should clarify, the "rule" these people are pushing is that cops can shoot anyone resisting arrest, regardless of reasonable danger - you know, the one that was found unconstitutional 35 years ago.

TheWordOfTheDayIs fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 28, 2020

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

The really tragic part about all of this is none of it matters. We're already past the point of no return when it comes to runaway warming and climate change. In my lifetime, billions are going to die because of man's hubris over the past ~200 years. Greenland's ice sheet is melting faster than replacement at an accelerating rate. When that's done melting there will be approx 20 feet (6 meters for the rest of the world) in sea level rise. The global ecosystem is falling apart because we're in the midst of a mass extinction event. We're all the dinosaurs watching the meteor come flying through the atmosphere except it's in stunning high def an super slow motion. There isn't anything that can be done to reverse course at this point. We're going to be completely without arctic ice in the summer over the next few years. The heat waves over the next few decades are going to have death tolls we've never imagined. There is going to be devastation around the world of unfathomable proportions.

All this sounds strangely comforting...

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Dik Hz posted:

Also, can you lay off the ad hominem bullshit?

MOTION DENIED

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

State agency attorney here, trying to find ways to allow people to participate in a public hearing without attending in person.

Any lawgoons willing to share methods of offering and exchanging exhibits on the fly during the hearing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

a mysterious cloak posted:

Okay, dumb legal question: In the US, after my death, how could I legally get my head removed, skull defleshed, and have the skull given to my descendants for painting/decoration/enshrinement?

I have a feeling the answer is LOL NO, but why not ask.

I think you should take this to the legal questions thread. Speaking for myself only, I plan to donate my body parts to the "Irrevocable Perpetual TheWordOfTheDayIs Trust dated November 3, 2020" with clear instructions to the Trustee for the various enshrinements.