Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Vox Nihili posted:

In my (extremely brief) experience with Article 3 judges, the younger/newer ones are thoughtful and generally quite reasonable if a bit paranoid, while the older ones are effectively powerful, ancient, hateful liches.
They're that for about two years, then they learn to hate everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Hey now, I have done two trials in the last nine months or so. Neither family nor criminal law.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Adar posted:

The timeline isn't really adding up. Are schools even done with OCI yet? Callbacks definitely don't finish up for a month or more.

Unless his grades are genuinely awful, he should be busy mass mailing every single firm and maybe even multiple offices of the same firms. It's low percentage individually, but people do get callbacks from those if you send out enough of them.
Some are done with OCI (Chicago, northwestern, and Harvard for sure).

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Nirvikalpa posted:

It's his personality. His grades are fine, and if they weren't he wouldn't be getting OCIs, right?
I don’t think so. Or at least, depends on the school. IIRC, at Michigan, we couldn’t screen on grades, and in fact wouldn’t know grades until the interview. One year I had a full schedule of candidates who couldn’t even sniff our rough gpa requirement.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Very few people do soft IP litigation full time. I wouldn’t target it.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Kalman posted:

Nah, this is perfectly common - lots of patent litigators who can’t sit for the patent bar. (Probably more who can’t than can.)

What’s uncommon is full time (c)/(tm) litigators.

Correct.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

ActusRhesus posted:

I just got a subpoena.

From opposing counsel.

There was a slightly unethical firm in Chicago that subpoenaed itself. I.e., Firm sued company A, company A produced documents to Firm, Firm settled with company A. Firm then sues company B, decides it wanted company A's documents, so Firm issued a subpoena in the case against Company B to Firm itself seeking Company A's documents. Yes, they were sanctioned, though I can't seem to find the order.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

I can't understand this at all, why would they do that?
It is easier to subpoena yourself than a third party?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Take what you want to take. Want to learn more about your broader (putative) practice area? Take some high-level courses in related fields. Do you enjoy actual academic study? You can find some classes that involve real research and writing, if that floats your boat (this may be your last real chance to do that sort of thing for a very long time). Want to maximize your grades and/or minimize your stress? Take the easiest courses you can find. Or mix and match.

I wouldn't worry too much about bar prep in class selection, but I found that courses like Evidence were actually helpful in that regard. Your mileage may vary.

As a personal recommendation that goes a bit against the consensus 3L courseload, I found the Income Tax course to be very helpful both inside and outside of my actual practice.
Secured transactions was my favorite law school class (ok, second favorite)

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

This was actually really good.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

sullat posted:

I thought Romney's shtick wasn't the backdoor Roth, but that he blatantly undervalued the assets he was contributing and nobody called him on it (that we know of).
I thought the same thing.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

William Munny posted:

I've got a coworker at my gov job who is in talks with a biglaw firm to join the firm as junior counsel. I thought this was a little strange because I always thought you would lateral over and become an associate and maybe subtract a class year or two based on experience in the practice area because you were coming over from a government gig. Is this actually common nowadays or is this firm just weird?
How senior is the person? Not totally uncommon if someone is old (maybe 6+ years our of LS) and not expected to be on partnership track.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

wtf man

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

The criminal justice system and incarceration are immoral. Being a bureaucratic cog that helps send people to prison is also immoral. Especially when it comes to drug crimes. What's unclear?
Sorry, should have quoted. That was directed to pook. I agree with you.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

evilweasel posted:

please i just redistribute money between large hedge funds depending on which one was smart enough to hire me, its basically victimless no matter who wins
Same, except large tech companies.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Brony Car posted:

One of my friends is joining a smaller boutique firm with tech/IP clients and it seems like they're doing away with the traditional firm title hierarchy and just adding on people who they think will add value. My friend is really excited but I can't help but wonder what's going to happen when people start having differing ideas on questions like who was responsible for bringing in a client and who has ultimate decision-making/strategic authority
That seems common to just about every firm.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Lote posted:

Jason van Dyke got arrested for filing a false police report. He allegedly took a brick and smashed his truck on top of legitimately being out a camera. :lol:
Chicago note - this does does not appear to be the Laquon Macdonald shooter Jason Van Dyke.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

blarzgh posted:

Somebody recommend a Sci Fi book. I liked the Quantum Thief but not enough to read the rest of the trilogy.
Children of Time.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Until 7? How awful.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

nm posted:

A friend I went to law school with lives in BFE Utah and seems to just travel for work all the time. He rejected a job here because he couldn't make ends meet on 120k or whatever.
He's also mormon and has a huge fleet of children.
I apparently will shortly have enough kids that I have started to get questions about whether I am a member of a weird religious sect.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

You’re about to have #4?

Two is normal. The third can be explained away as a mistake. But four...
Numbers four and five.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Nice piece of fish posted:

Congrats! How long is the paid maternity leave for the dad in the US?

Norway's caught a lot of flack for a discriminatory policy where the parents got to choose instead of splitting the year equally, which naturally lead to dads only taking the minimum months.

I hear it gets better after the first year when public daycare starts the enrollment. I'm not there yet and I'm kind of dreading having a kid, but this is a good place for it so...
I don’t think there is anything legally required in the US. I’m not sure what my firm policy is, frankly. I am only going to be able to take a couple weeks though, at max. Which is more than I took for the prior three combined.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Kalman posted:

If you were into Blindsight and Hull Zero Three, your next book is...

Russo, Ship of Fools.
Yes, read this.

Also probably fantasy, but traitor Baru cormorant is good, goon-written, and has a sequel coming out shortly.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

ActusRhesus posted:

In other news... does anyone else get irately angry when people don’t know the difference between declarative and imperative for purposes of hearsay analysis?
Hearing those words, I get the distinction and why it matters for hearsay, but I haven't heard those terms used in hearsay analysis.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

nm posted:

Why is no one posting? I'm so bored. Doesn't toona have another divorce, fish a drunk moose to defend, or someone with questions about the chosen people?
I'm getting close to checking work emails again. Fuuuuck.
Hi, I am in the midst of a 17 day work trip (and it's not for a trial).

Soothing Vapors posted:

you son of a bitch :doom:
we should really get a blanket exemption from jury service. no competent lawyer is going to keep us on
I had a lawyer juror in my last jury trial.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Pook Good Mook posted:

It also assumes Lucas can handle subtext and subtlety. Which he can't. He named bad guys "Darth Maul" and "Darth Tyraneous" and a drug addict "Sleaze Baggano" for Christ's sake.
Isn't there some story where he visits a game developer who is working on a star wars game and says something like "let's name the bad guy darth icky. Or maybe darth insane-us." And then everybody laughs awkwardly before realizing that he was serious?
e:
https://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/04/04/fall-of-the-empire-how-inner-turmoil-brought-down-a-legendary-studio.aspx

quote:

“The team threw a Hail Mary to George, saying the game would have more credibility if the apprentice had a ‘Darth’ title,” a Force Unleashed team member says. Lucas agreed that this situation made sense for Sith royalty, and offered up two Darth titles for the team to choose from. “He threw out ‘Darth Icky’ and ‘Darth Insanius.’ There was a pregnant pause in the room after that. People waiting for George to say ‘just kidding,’ but it never comes, and he just moved on to another point.”

gvibes fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 23, 2018

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Fury road is loving amazing.

New blade runner is beautiful, but only a B or so story in my view. Probably an overall b+/a-

I liked arrival better, but I also cried reading story of your life.

sullat posted:

I went to law school, not computer school.
I went to both.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Lots of in house firms have a bonus structure that mostly depends on how well the company is doing and secondarily based on performance.
Yeah, just like any corporate job, basically.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

I have been in all day meetings with experts, or in depositions of experts, for 19 days in the month of October. Across seven different cities. Kill me.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I saw a reddit post where a first year associate has billed 2000 hours already since January. Why do y'all put up with those hours?
I’m already over 2500.

Got five kids to feed.

E: answer is $$$ plus I really like the work

gvibes fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 5, 2018

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

TheMadMilkman posted:

For your sake I hope you're raking in cash, because drat that's a lot of billables.
Should be at least mid-400s or so.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

blarzgh posted:

I ran into a guy at a park while our kids were playing who was an attorney at a local biglaw firm and we got to talking shop. He's in his 8th year of practice and was talking about how excited he was to get to sit second chair at depositions this past year, and what great experience it was.
Yikes.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

Are you still not supposed to button the bottom button on a two button suit? That’s just one button

Yes. Wear either two button or three roll 2 (button only middle) coats

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Of course I billed on thanksgiving.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

MSM and I are fans of Illini athletics.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

EVE goons, man.
ElitistOps supremacy.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

I've billed 22 hours in two workdays. I've had a good 6 non-billable hours at work as well. While I do feel I'm doing some good most of the time, this lifestyle loving sucks.
I call that December 31 and January 1.

Not really.

Only 19 or so.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

I really need to just drop Dark Souls 2 (only three DLC bosses left!) and get back to my first Witcher 3 run that's been stuck in Velen for 6 months. I can only play at night after the kids go to bed and they've been pushing past 10:00 lately, so I end up just going to sleep.
I apparently have no interest in playing single player games anymore. I need to style on someone to have fun.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Ani posted:

If you compare to most jobs, biglaw actually looks pretty good:
  • you get your own office, plus an admin assistant.
  • flexible hours (no one cares when you arrive or leave), basically unlimited ability to work from home.
  • no meetings or other BS - basically all your time is spent doing your core job.
  • pay is pretty good and mostly non-discretionary - compared to a banker, you'd have a much easier time buying a house.
  • pretty good job security compared to most jobs - if you do a minimally competent job you're unlikely to get fired before you are up for partner.
  • clients (at least in transactional) value your work and generally pay your bills (almost) in full and (almost) on time. When I did management consulting, half the battle was getting your client to admit that you had done anything at all for them, let alone that what you did was worth what you charged for it.
Not all of these are true at all firms. I think the flexible hours/work from home and no BS pieces are probably not accurate about most firms/offices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

lol this new 101 guidance is so plainly facially wrong but whatever it means less work for me

I've already left a comment on how it clearly contradicts binding federal circuit precedent, and they've told us it's mandatory to implement already even though the public comment period just started

heckuvajob
Link?