Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Hi law thread. Any of you kids have any experience with knowledge management lawyers in biglaw? I'm a midlevel associate, ostensibly tax but I do a decent amount of corporate work, and I snagged an interview for a KM position at another firm for their corporate group. They I guess have KM lawyers outside the US but this is the first domestic KM lawyer position, at least in this group. This seems like an interesting position, and I'd like to figure out how not to gently caress it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I only computer touch for fun, not profit, but databases are cool. Given that they have a KM function in their Europe & middle East offices (one of the interviewers is the chief knowledge officer out of London), it's not like they have absolutely nothing, at least, and I do have ideas.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Pinky Artichoke posted:

That job sounds like a great way to end up a character in a long-form New Yorker article featuring the phrase "drug-fueled suborbital meltdown".

poo poo, I wasn't interested before but now it's tempting...

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Are any of you nerds in benefits/exec comp work? Pondering a terrible idea career change. Background in spoilers below because it's not revealing too much about myself on the internet if it's in spoilers.

Used to do basic corporate tax biglaw poo poo, currently doing general corporate KM in biglaw but I'm bored and want to return to tax and kind of want to return to practicing. Benefits always seemed interesting, and if I'm going to make the shift now would probably be the time, but I'm trying to make up my mind.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

I mean that matches my experience with tax anyway, so I might as well learn a new to me and exciting field of law with it.

And I'm not being sarcastic either, I like tax stuff. Have an LLM and everything.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

I mean I know the options for tax careers generally, I'm not exactly fresh out of school here. I've just been poking my network with questions about day to day in this particular specialty and figured I'd poke my head in here. Thanks though.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

dismas posted:

Plus I hear you get a gun

Ah poo poo I forgot about that part.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Might have been a corporate associate, because we all know how much Musk values someone who can do due diligence.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

The Dagda posted:

Nonprofits have to “incorporate” in their own state I think, not in Delaware. I’ve never had to file the papers but am close enough to know you have to report to your local dept of state.

Good luck Nichael. I’m feeling pretty burned out lately and sometimes wish I had taken the money instead of the clean hands, but I try to remind myself that it is good to enjoy and feel good about what you do for work.

You generally have to register to do business in your state(s) where you operate no matter what, and similarly if you're a charity soliciting donations in a state you usually have to register with the attorney general or someone similar in that state. Most nonprofit corporations don't have the incentives for profits do (or think they do) to incorporate in Delaware though.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

ulmont posted:

Spot the dude that's never seen a tax lawyer.

Psh, IP lawyers wish they were as cool as tax lawyers.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

nm posted:

Uhm are you a doctor and a lawyer?

Don't know about OP but there was a guy a year behind me in law school who burnt out on being an ER doctor and decided law school sounded like a good idea.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Oof yeah, I was with a couple of colleagues and a client's cfo on a zoom call the other day, and we were talking about how our firm just switched to zoom phones. The client apparently did that a bit ago and he was talking about this AI zoom summary function. My immediate reaction for my colleagues was, we turned that off, right?

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Nice piece of fish posted:

As opposed to the interesting kind of law, which isssss.... *crickets*

Tax, obvs.

And yeah, like a lot of firms we have a cannabis practice, but everyone is some flavor of transactional or regulatory lawyer. Your best bet would have been going to law school like five years ago and trying for the corporate group at a firm that does weed. Sorry, weed law. (This still would have been a terrible idea.)

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

I think also there's a factor of unless you have specific relevant experience before going into law school, you don't even necessarily have an idea if what you think you want to do is what you really want to do. Admittedly I went to law school because I didn't know what else to do with a history degree, but figured I'd do some flavor of litigation. Got into tax, so when I didn't have a job after my JD I went for an LLM. I still thought I'd prefer to do controversy work but after the LLM transactional work was more available so that's most of what I do, and honestly, it's been a way better fit for me. Also about a decade out, and I spent a few years in a non practicing role (by choice) which was its own kind of bullshit.

I don't think law is particularly unique in the fact that your ability to shape your career specifics at the beginning is going to depend a lot on your connections and/or, for certain niche practice areas, your willingness to stomach additional years of education either pre or post JD. You just get more people going into law school (or thinking about it) wanting to be an international human rights weed lawyer straight out of school or whatever. Also it's very expensive (in the US) and we're all bitter assholes.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Nice piece of fish posted:

I would never trust an AI reviewed contract. Not with current tech.

Yeah, we've got a pilot on some legal specific generative AI going right now but even the vendor was like, this might replace a very junior attorney's first pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

If you don't mind helping rich people buy citizenship, you may also have some luck with a firm that does a lot of EB-5 work or immigration consulting. I don't actually know how much overlap there would be in the knowledge base, but it might be something to consider.