Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Draadnagel
Jul 16, 2011

..zoekend naar draadnagels bij laag tij.
As a Euro goon, I don't get the thing about US law and lawschools. Here i went to a college (all of them are decent), got my degree and then there were plenty of ways to get ahead. Only the top firms (who all suck poo poo btw) would be looking at grades and stuff like extracurriculars, all the other firms or government organisations were just happy to have warm bodies to throw into the grinder. Is it that much worse or different over there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draadnagel
Jul 16, 2011

I think it's part of the actual curriculum, paid for by the state. We don't have that here though, if you get out of college chances are you have exactly zero work experience and are in fact absolutely useless.

on the other hand, you don't have to speak German so it's not all bad.

Draadnagel
Jul 16, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Florida, for example, adds 5-7k new attorneys a year. There are not 5-7k new job openings in FL for lawyers every year. This has been the case for decades. There is an ever growing supply of lawyers with an ever shrinking demand.

Is it just this? because that sounds like a bogstandard school scam. How much could lawschool cost? let me just look it up... what the gently caress?!
Look, I've put myself into some nice debt but even I never got over 60k. And that is a shitton of schooldebt over here. If you need a proper job to pay of your debt then that loving sucks if there is a dearth of new jobs.

Draadnagel
Jul 16, 2011

Meatbag Esq. posted:

One annoying thing about all this is the criminal punishment system is so hosed with backlogs that there could actually be an increase in judges, prosecutors, and pds to actually deal with this more fairly but good luck convincing politicians to fund that poo poo.

Same here, although it finally got through to the politicians to fund that poo poo. First there was the polite complaining through backchannels about the workload, then less polite through the media, then cases were dismissed in bulk because they were on the shelf for too long and lastly about half a year ago the judge union announced they started preparing for a strike. Things moved fast after that last one.

One of the problems our judiciary has is that it takes a couple of year to train junior judges and because the program is setup in such a way that you need a mentor to train you during that time that it's quite difficult to scale the training program. Also, it may surprise some, but we have a boomer retirement wave incoming that needs replacements.

edit: prosecution is still hosed though. I know a lot of people who work in the prosecution office and the workload is stupid. Glad I never pursued that path.
Edit: PD is not prosecution. I blame posting after just waking up for that one. We don’t have a PD, we have subsidized legal assistance, but good luck getting paid.

Draadnagel fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Dec 19, 2023

Draadnagel
Jul 16, 2011

B33rChiller posted:

Oh wow! The judiciary striking seems like the kind of big deal that would be noted as an historical spark, years down the road.
I bet that got some attention.

It is and it did. Got picked up by every media outlet and the government was quick to resume negotiations and make concessions. Unprecedented and nobody knows how a strike would look like in practice but the will to strike was there. After dismissing thousands of cases and nothing happening to remedy the lack of funding that caused that, it all escalated quite quickly. I must admit I am proud of our judiciary.

Draadnagel
Jul 16, 2011

We've had outside people who recorded meetings they were having with us. While technically not illegal here, we stopped having meetings with them. Everything is in writing now. Turns out that takes a lot more time and effort for all parties involved.

Draadnagel
Jul 16, 2011

I graduated around 10 years ago and bounced around for a bit, couple of years here and there, figuring out what i like and what i really dislike. I got lucky in that i got to work in the field i graduated in, even if it wasn't what i wanted initially. My summer job turned in college into a fulltime job after college, moved on after a couple of years because it was utter poo poo. If you are working in the legal field, even if it is not what you want, you will learn you a lot of useful skills that transfer well. One time I took a entry level job after already working a couple of years and that is a mistake i will never make again. If you start at the bottom people will treat you like you are starting at the bottom and it's rough moving up from there. In my experience it's easier to change jobs and move up.
Now I'm starting my dream job which will have me work crushing hours and give me a lot of responsibility. We'll see how I feel in like 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draadnagel
Jul 16, 2011

That is so stupid it's made my loving day. Beautiful.