Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

*Pounding table* More! We need more of this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Law nerds might be interested to hear that Alberta judge who wrote up the big decision on sovcits dropped a new one recently
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SeHLhSyT_Y

Vvvv thanks for putting in the effort I was too lazy for.
I enjoy traffic cone man's lawsplainer vids. I have no education in law, but a healthy curiosity.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 3, 2022

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Draadnagel posted:

~Snip~
about half a year ago the judge union announced they started preparing for a strike. Things moved fast after that last one.

Oh wow! The judiciary striking seems like the kind of big deal that would be noted as an historical spark, years down the road.
I bet that got some attention.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Residency Evil posted:

Yup, I mentioned my "previous travel plans" to the lawyer I'm working with and they said they'd be in touch with details later. They specifically mentioned a trial, with a start date listed and a date for me being called as a witness several days later. Is there a chance that they might request me to do a deposition instead? That'd be way better than flying.

edit:
No, I have not yet been deposed by the other side. Should I expect that?

This is state court, civil trial.

I realise you came here to ask questions, but I'm curious:
Are your services in this case something that insurance covers?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah, I have no idea. It's a large health system, so it's presumably covered by their malpractice policy.

Of course, many large health systems self insure, so...

Thanks. This actually answers it. I was just curious generally, if this was the sort of thing covered by (I was guessing) malpractice insurance.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Also do not create documents from fictional governments, ie Moorish American passports. The crooked USA system will not recognize them.

Vvvv how can they be under sanctions, if they're not real, hmmmmm?

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 26, 2024

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

As a rando with odd interests, one of the best and least expected developments of the 21st century is this new phrase I've learned:
Zoom court pro se sovcit.

Amazing content. Thank you American dedication to transparency and public access.

VvLOL "I know your parents didn't name you iPhone 7. And if they did, I'll change it for free."

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 28, 2024

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

evilweasel posted:

the litigators in this thread spend most of our time either reading people’s emails or using those emails against people

don’t email

That feeling of reminding your gov supervisor that all your email contents are subject to public access requests.
"Don't worry. It'll all come out at the inquiry. "

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Nice piece of fish posted:

As opposed to the interesting kind of law, which isssss.... *crickets*
I get the impression that family law could be interesting.
For values of "interesting" mostly within the range of "depressing" to "gently caress this, I'm going to flip burgers"
From what I gather, the zoo is seldom boring

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Eminent Domain posted:

There's always a new twist on a problem and it always leaves your soul a withered husk.
Yeah, I just heard second hand from a pal who articled at a family law place. He immediately began looking for other paths.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Kalman posted:

Not really, no. I bounced around a bit at first through various things, some better, some not, and wound up lucking into my current role which is perfect for me, but there are also a grand total of like 5 people who do it (and aren’t on the pharma payroll), so it was very much luck.
Please don't doxx yourself, but do you mind sharing what the weird niche is that you found?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Neat! Thanks.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I saw what might be the most powerful self own legal strategy by a pro se ever.
Guy calls his prior attorney to the stand, and he appears via zoom from the hospital on oxygen. Before the questioning, the witness lays out a big warning about how this guy is going to wave privilege, and that he really shouldn't do this.

Guy proceeds, starts arguing with his old attorney on the stand about not being given all the discovery materials while this fella was representing him.

The witness lays out some freaking bombs
"I got you an acquittal on your first felony sexual assault charge, then you accused me of corruption"
Quotes the rules of procedure he was operating under. Explains the rules 3 or 4 separate times. Explains that he handed over all materials when the court ordered it, releasing him from the prior restrictions, etc.
Pro se gets negative useful testimony feom his witness (that he compelled to appear while hospitalized for pneumonia)
Then the stunner off the top rope that everyone but the defense saw coming: cross.
"Did Mr. So and so tell you he was guilty of this sexual assault?"
"Yes."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Pook Good Mook posted:

My head-canon is that the witness/attorney was offered the opportunity to reschedule this hearing but hated this guy so much that he wanted to have the hearing before the pro se guy got some sense or good advice.
That makes some kind of sense.