Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Completely empty first page snipe.

Don't go to law school. Or at least shadow a lawyer or work in a firm before you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

btw for the last thread

code:
nm 	        2603
Hot Dog Day #91 1999
Phil Moscowitz 	1803
blarzgh 	1670
CaptainScraps 	1663
ActusRhesus 	1560
mastershakeman 	1528
Soothing Vapors 1453
Roger_Mudd 	1326
evilweasel 	1300
WhiskeyJuvenile 1285
Mr. Nice! 	1199
joat mon 	1051
entris          829
HiddenReplaced 	828
MoFauxHawk 	676
Ainsley McTree 	671
Discendo Vox 	666
Green Crayons 	664
BigHead 	644
Kalman 	     609
Look Sir Droids 589
Petey 	    564
Vox Nihili 	559
SlyFrog 	548
mikeraskol 	543
The Warszawa 	530
Adar 	   528
gvibes 	   524
Pook Good Mook 	524

gently caress ya, back of the human centipede.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

blarzgh posted:

Believe you me, it doesn't matter what their sexual orientation is when it comes to stealing an inheritance from someone.

I hope the local prosecutor gets wind of this (especially the Reddit post) and charges the whole lot of them. I hate this kind of poo poo so much.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

^^^^ look I bought "as is" but obviously that means I'm not buying as is if I find anything wrong with it post sale, as determined by me

I'm not a real estate or contract attorney, but don't you still have a cause of action in an "as-is" sale if the seller actively concealed faults?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

How are you going to prove that? And how can you do that cheaper than just saying gently caress it and letting the other side keep the earnest money which is usually just a couple grand?

Well if you're a good pro se who don't need no stinking lawyer, it shouldn't be that hard.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

mikeraskol posted:

It reads like a troll to me because the guy posting is like "omg I didn't think this was such a serious issue we just thought it was more fair for us to get the money" and "omg I can't believe it we could be in trouble for stealing this guys money whaaaaaat I can't believe he's suing us where did he even get the will"?

Nobody can be that stupid, right?

Aren't you a lawyer?

evilweasel posted:

the entitlement is really easy

that they thought they would get away with it pretty clearly boils down to they didn't think he could ever find out as long as they suborned the sister. now that he found out, they're sort of stuck so it makes sense to minimize, and if they're as bigoted as the guy comes across I could easily believe that they don't quite get that the law is going to side with this homosexual racial minority over them

But they weren't even married!

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Eminent Domain posted:

People are 100% stupid enough to pull that poo poo with the will and then be ~shocked~ that they are gonna be held accountable for it

Seems like you see two kinds of "shock" with this type of thing.

Shock that they were wrong or that they somehow aren't justified.

Shock that the other person is actually standing up for themselves (when they knew they were wrong from the get-go)

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Tipps posted:

Are allayall Americans saying that you guys don't have a US equivalent of Canlii?

Bless your hearts.

But federalism and overreach and big brother and states' rights!

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ActusRhesus posted:

Canada has its own special breed of hillbilly. Go far enough north and you can observe the mullet in its natural habitat.

The entire maritimes (excluding Halifax) is just Northern Maine with funnier accents.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

nm posted:

Some of them speak french.

Again, northern Maine with funnier accents.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

nm posted:

Jesus loving Christ, is this pro-slavery post?

Throatwarbler, let me ask you this.

Is the reason you are obsessed with making $190k so that you can buy poo poo loads of overpriced "fashion" watches that you can show off in airport lounges?

Follow-up, what is your time-frame on purchasing a Bugatti?

Final follow-up, what is the best safe to buy to keep my South-Asian laborers passports in while they work for me?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Oh my God who bought blarzgh's new av.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 16, 2018

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Your political minute

John Kerry made the correct decision. That yellow goo they call "cheese" is horrid.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Yuns posted:

I fell asleep in my home office after coming home from work. I was so tired that I was unresponsive and couldn't be woken to the extent that my wife and kids were momentarily worried that I had died.

First thing I did after waking from my evening nap was check my email then going to the gym to lift.

Partner Life

In more sobering news I ran into a former friend of mine in Penn Station. He is now a homeless schizophrenic harassing random people at the train station. I'm trying to get him help but he isn't capable of accepting it and I don't want him put in the legal system. Serious mental illness is so scary.

The legal system is there for exactly the situation you're dealing with. They are far better equipped and have experience dealing with people like your old friend. Your friend can not get lower than a homeless person running around Penn Station. Seeking some sort of civil commitment is going to be better for him than being arrested and cycled through the criminal system, which is probably the most likely outcome, followed closely by death in the winter.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 17, 2018

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Lote posted:

The laws vary state to state, and some states do allow friends to file with the appropriate authority for at least an evaluation by a psychiatrist. If he’s willing when you talk to him, you can also just ask him to come with you to Bellevue to get help. I have a friend from high school that went to Harvard that got schizophrenia. It’s really sad and then his schizophrenia got co-opted by the Larouchites so he screams at people outside the subway.

Texas, incidentally, is one of the weirdest where the police initiate 72 hour holds (72 hours worth of court days so good luck on a Friday going into a Tuesday Christmas)

I was going to write this.

Your friend's family may have no clue where he is, or may have given up on him. You might be "the guy" to advocate for him. Have you contacted his family?

I'm not a New York lawyer, but looking at the laws, it looks like the director or supervisor at a hospital or care home can file for involuntary commitment. So it looks like you can't file, but you might be able to reach out to social services and bring someone with you into Penn Station. His family could do it too if they know what's going on.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Hoshi posted:

Reminder that once upon a time there GOP replaced all the Heinz ketchups in part of NYC with Hunter's or something for their convention

It warms my heart that this lady might be dead by now

Incidentally 2004 was when I lost all faith in the Democratic party. John Kerry should have had a press conference where he went off about this poo poo and called the entire Bush cabinet a bunch of cowardly fucks. But :decorum:

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Hoshi posted:

When this happened I did a double take

Luckily Republicans have zero actual convictions or morals beyond sticking it to the libs so Trump was fine.

Again though, in a functional country, McCain would have had a press conference where he called Trump a loving cowardly dipshit and demand he produce medical evidence of his bone spurs. But then again, :decorum:

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

blarzgh posted:

What is it with you and press conferences??

I am now a prosecutor, any problem can be solved by talking to the press.

But seriously, press conferences are basically the only mechanism you can get the story to focus on what you want it to and you force the media to give you and your message coverage at the expense of your opponent and force your opponent to respond.

John Kerry couldn't have said that stuff in a debate because Bush would have hyucked his way around it by saying that that's his supporters, he totally respects John Kerry's service.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

My defendant pussed out on his speeding jury trial and now I only have bench trials next week.

Booooo

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Soothing Vapors posted:

my newest criminal client is cellmates with a "lawyer" (read: not a lawyer). I've sunk immeasurable hours into his defense already. I drove two hours to meet with him, on a Sunday, so he could lecture me at length about how everything I've done to defend him is wrong, I don't understand the sentencing guidelines, I don't understand his "rights" under the offense he's been charged with, and I need to tell the USAO that we won't accept a plea offer with any penalty more severe than probation

on the way home I drove over a wooden bridge and I swear to god it was the closest I've ever come. luckily I realized I need to be around to see Toona end up sucking dicks for meth in an alley in 2-4 years

You should actually do everything he wants and then take it to trial so he can get royally hosed by the Feds. Our gameplan at the PD's office was usually to just call the person's bluff and make sure to keep them filled in with why what happened is actually their fault.

Obviously make sure to get all this in writing, "I advised my client of X, he refuses anything that isn't Y. Signed:______"

Alternatively get out of repping him by putting your foot down about something that's a legit strategic decision and then make him make you file to withdraw.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 19, 2018

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Abugadu posted:

We had a literal jailhouse lawyer once, who got put away for pedophile poo poo. He would find out which cases the prosecutor on his case were working, and draft up bs motions on them to make busy work and hopefully get his own case tossed/reduced.

I ended up with one of the cases (way back when I was prosecution), in which defendant had robbed a shooting range, stolen a car, and used the guns from the shooting range to rob a gas station. He was positively ID'd after they pulled over the stolen vehicle by his own mother, who was in the back seat.

Senior advising prosecutor on the case told me the Feds were eventually going to get around to prosecuting this guy for Convicted Felon Possessing a Firearm, but it had been 3-4 years since the case was filed, and no movement from the feds yet. Lots of motions filed by the defendant, though, that kept the case stalled. Defendant apparently loved being in pre-trial lockup, ruled the place like a king. Fired about 9 different defense attorneys. The one I was working with kept asking for time served, but our offer was 8 years and we weren't going to budge on that, especially with the looming possible fed takeover of the case. Defense attorney scoffed and said that wasn't happening, and filed a motion to dismiss for the delay caused by all the motions the defense had filed.

The judge dismissed the motion and set trial for the next day. Another motion was filed immediately to delay trial. The next week, out of nowhere, the feds call us and say they're taking it. Writing that letter to defense counsel informing him of that was an especially sweet moment. He tried in vain to file a motion to keep the case in local court, which of course didn't fly. The client, still assured by his jailhouse lawyer friend that everyone was full of poo poo, went to trial on it in federal court, and lost badly, receiving over twice the amount of years in sentencing than what we'd offered.

Jailhouse lawyer did this with at least five other cases, which all went to trial and all got guilty verdicts, resulting in massive jail sentences for all involved. He also eventually got tried and convicted, and I believe he's still in jail at the moment.

A jailhouse lawyer was partially responsible for getting a defendant in my old office 57 years with 75% prison time instead of an offered 20 with parole possible after ten.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 20, 2018

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Pook Good Mook posted:

A jailhouse lawyer was partially responsible for getting a defendant in my old office 27 years with 75% prison time instead of an offered 15 with parole possible after 7.5.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Also, he may be self-limiting by only going to corporate law or bust. Sounds like he should have read the bi-modal vs. median post on the first page.

In any event, if he hasn't found anything he enjoys, and is only doing it for money, then ya, he should drop out.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Nirvikalpa posted:

He only wants to do corporate law for the money. It doesn't seem law otherwise interests him at all.

Ask him what his substance of choice is now so he's prepped when he burns out.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Soothing Vapors posted:

It's amazing how bad law students are at interviewing, and how little career services does to prep them. Every year, without fail, I reserve the last 5 minutes of an OCI screener to ask the candidate: "So what questions can I answer for you about Shitfucker, Snuffgoblin and Jones PLLC?" Generally speaking if you can't feign enough interest in my firm to find a few things to ask about, you're probably not getting a callback. That poo poo's like Interviewing 101. Every year, without fail, one third to one half of the kids I'm screening will shrug at me and say "I don't have any questions" or its cousin, "you answered all my questions."

I have been interviewing at the same school for six years, and I have this exact discussion every year with career services in our post-OCI debrief. At no point does it ever appear that career services has ever passed this along to their kids.

But then again, I've also had more than one kid straight up tell me "I'm not sure I want to be a lawyer, but I thought I'd try out a summer at your firm and see if I like it." Maybe there is just no helping law students.

lol

I enjoy your posts as a rule, but every one of them is made even better by imagining the dog in your avatar is posting it

To play Devil's Advocate, almost no firm is special, and expecting someone to ask a question about a firm when you've given out a brochure and then talked to them about the firm's expectations is pissing into the wind. Like what do you want them to ask? How often do you guys have firm bbq's?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Ani posted:

You should convey that you have spent 2-3 hours researching the firm and envisioning working there and ask questions that would naturally arise out of that. They don't have to be particularly insightful, but should at least make sense. Easy questions are asking about the assignment system (free market vs rotations, how does it work in practice?), main practice areas especially when interviewing with someone who works in those areas, recent deals or cases (if the interviewer worked on them) or what kind of work junior associates will be getting and how that changes as you get more senior. That should be able to chew up 5-10 minutes, which is all you really need (and you can ask the same questions to each person at the same firm when you do a callback). You can also get the interviewers talking by asking them about their typical day or most interesting deal/case, and since lawyers love telling their boring war stories, it'll make them like you more as well.

This should legit be put into one of the first posts.

I'm still of a mind that finding a "dream firm" is artificially created by the industry a la "dream college," but if the game must be played, these questions seem helpful.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

SlyFrog posted:

My career services office gave us actively stupid advice. Like not merely being passively negligent in not preparing us, but affirmatively telling us to ask about things like work/life balance, etc.

It's incredibly how painfully out of touch and stupid academic career services is with respect to the actual working world.

Well, maybe it isn't, as it is incredible how painfully out of touch and stupid academia in general is with respect to the actual working world.

The valedictorian at my school always gave a speech at the dinner the night before graduation, in addition to the convocation address. Two years before me the guy commented that the two primary career services people were leaving for new jobs at the end of the year and said, "Bringing the total number of people getting jobs through career services to two."

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Toona the Cat posted:

IANAL but this seems like a good call

Goddamn it Toona we don't deserve this kind of quality.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1032247043992023040

Cooley grad.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

Will california take my MBE scores from February this year and will you pay my fees? If yes to both, California sounds better than florida :lol:

California doesn't even do waive in. If you practice for four(?) years you get the honor of only having to take the essay portion.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Yeah but if you get a job in forensic pathology or as a medical examiner it's because you have a broken brain and enjoy it I think

Ya they generally don't even see the bodies as former people.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

joat mon posted:

Pictures are just data. Process what you need and leave the rest.
Cross examining child victims of sex crimes isn't fun.
Having client B tell you that several years previously he set up client A on a child sex case (and who got 25 years) and not being able to do anything about it isn't fun.

I saw a case against the creepy uncle who molested his niece where the adorable 5-year old victim took the stand, was asked a question, thought about it and said "I don't really remember because I was only 4!" while holding up 4 fingers.

Judge could have just skipped right to Sentencing because there is no loving way you're getting acquitted after that.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Criminal law is the only law that makes me feel like I'm making a difference and the thing I'm working on matters.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Criminal law is full of magic bullets, especially in magistrate court.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ActusRhesus posted:

A. They have that? Of course they do. *sigh*
B. Are there elves?

Oh come on, you're a prosecutor, you can't be this naive.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ActusRhesus posted:

Look. I can snicker and cringe at bioware’s incredibly awkward sex scenes. But actually VR banging one? That is a bridge I simply cannot cross. Don’t get me wrong. I don’t kink shame. But...

Wait. Yes I do. That’s hosed up.

Dear God you need to spend time on Deviantart or something if that's over the kink line.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

evilweasel posted:

pretty much. take anything that (a) looks interesting; (b) looks easy as poo poo; (c) will make studying for the bar exam easier

the only exception would be is if you got put in a practice area you're not super familiar with. had i known i would be a bankruptcy lawyer, i probably would have taken a bankruptcy class!

If there is something on the bar that you have never taken, and your eyes glaze over when someone talks about it, might be helpful to take it. Trusts and Estates and Business Associations especially are pretty dense to learn in a month and a half.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

I'd hesitate to charge that poo poo. Jesus.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

I discovered an officer who wrote the report wasn't the one who found the marijuana or paraphernalia only after I put him on the stand. This was half-day bench trial where the actual useful officer wasn't available.

It's not like I didn't talk to him. I guess I was too naive when he tells me, "Then we found it" when he really means, "Deputy X found it 5 minutes before I showed up."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Pook, I like you. But I hope the charges were dismissed with prejudice or something.

I had evidence logs and the evidence document that was properly filled out by the officer in court and a description of where the items were found, so I got the stuff in. Plus she also told the officer on the stand something like "I don't know why I brought that weed, I could have bought some here" (she was leaving a music festival). And the defense counsel didn't make the chain of evidence objection nor a hearsay objection about info in the evidence log about where the items were found.

The bigger problem is the motion to suppress/dismiss that was orally heard at the close of testimony. The biggest issue is her statements about ownership she made after the officers had found the stuff, they asked her to sit in the front seat of the cruiser while they wrote up the tickets. That's better than the back seat, but it's likely the judge will say it's "custodial" for Miranda purposes. Frankly, if it's up to me I don't give a poo poo about weed and a one-hitter. Even if I win I'm not gonna ask for jail, just the minimum fines.