Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
But if it was a bachelor's degree all the lawyers would lose out on a few years of napping/partying their way through political science courses for an easy degree!

My wife is going back to school for a masters in teaching and the craziest thing to me is regulations that make her take/test out of a bunch of extra undergrad classes in addition to all the masters coursework. Imagine if you went to law school and they told you actually, you also need to pick up some math, history etc that you missed (defined in a very silly way where business math doesn't count as math) when getting your bachelor's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
https://twitter.com/innercitypress/status/1666851782239170576

It just keeps getting worse

I have vague memories of a guy having a rough hearing with a judge, he hid in the gallery, then when the judge was about to rule he jumped up to defend himself. Anyone remember that and the outcome?

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 8, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Yep, that's the guy. Feels like an eternity ago, since it happened right before COVID

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I'm coming into a case via transfer file and was looking up bios of some of the attorneys on the case. From the interests section on the firm website for one of the attorneys: Cryptozoology

1) hell yeah. Sasquatch, yeti, etc are all real. Except Nessie.
2) I bet he's a goon
3) I can't believe the firm went for that

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Has he hosed Bigfoot?

C'mon we were all thinking it

i keep staring at the tree image looking for clues. What does it mean? Can I see something there, for a brief second??

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
https://twitter.com/greg651/status/1734698782103654789

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

CarForumPoster posted:

Who hurt you? Was it law school?

Also, Loyola in Chicago appears to offer weekend classes, 1/3 of credits fully online, potentially more could be remote depending on the experiential learning reqs: https://www.luc.edu/law/academics/degreeprograms/jurisdoctor/weekendjd/ - Seems like its sub $200K all in as well.

As a not very proud grad of Loyola Chicago, I wouldn't go there if I were you.

The one real advantage I had was being able to take the bar exam in one of LUC's buildings, where I had a ID card to get through security. Dozens of extremely anxious people got to see me swipe through while I snickered at their plight of having no way in. I kind of regret not being nicer that day.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

CarForumPoster posted:

This is exactly what I'm looking for! Why not?

I, very stupidly, took a lot of night time classes my second and third year and got to know a lot of people in them. I was working part time during the week because I again, very stupidly, thought that clerking for my cousin's tiny law firm would look great on my resume. Neither of my parents ever had a resume in their life and I followed their bad advice on this, falling into the "working hard is what people want to see!" Trap instead of solely focusing on GPA.

Anyways, night class was miserable, and when people did attend, they were often half asleep or asleep.

Loyola also has a reputation for gaming their statistics by letting in a lot of night/part time students who had lower academics but didn't hurt their score metrics. Unsurprisingly, they ended up doing really well on their 1st year exams when they only had half as many finals to study for, but then got crushed when going full time. But those people ended up being some of my best friends, great to party with.

But at the end of things, we graduated into the 08 recession, only a handful of people got big law jobs, the rest of us got crushed. And the ones who went into public interest told horror stories about 07-08 being the final year public interest places were willing to hire outside the T14. A lot of this was due to the changes in student loan forgiveness in this era.

Basically, LUC would be a waste of your time and a waste of the school's time. The fun parts of school - making friends, hanging out, etc - would be wasted on you. It'd just be a slog to end up with a degree that's just as worthless as Cooley or anywhere else - valuable only for passing the bar.

If you insist on going to law school you should either go to a rigorous place and give it your all for 3 years, or go to the absolute easiest school possible to check the box for sitting for the bar. Just show up for finals with an outline you get online and don't even attend the rest of the time.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 15, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Yes, even in my 20s I found it impossible to focus on negotiable instruments and IRS tax laws at 9pm. The fatigue was just too much. And this was before smartphones and streaming video as extra distraction.

If you're going to do law school you should either treat it like a total joke that it is at low ranked schools or be completely dedicated at better ones. You probably won't get any social benefit from it at your age.

I have a friend who did night class at .. Kent? I think in Chicago, graduated around 2018. She found night class so exhausting she ended up quitting her good job and going full time just to get school over with.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 15, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

ulmont posted:

I worked fulltime as a programmer and went to law school at night for four years. I really enjoyed my classmates and the sense that everyone had been through more important poo poo (marriages, kids, mortgages, divorces) than law school, so it wasn't as catty and backbiting.

I did well enough in my class that I was hired on to an Amlaw 50 firm. I have been steadily employed as a lawyer for...fml...17 years now, 10 of them in biglaw and 7 inhouse at 2 different places.

As you might notice, I still think becoming a lawyer was a terrible decision and recommend that you avoid it. What do you think that says?

Ha, no kidding. 17 years though is the perfect time to have graduated.

I still remember one guy - taught elementary school during the day in the burbs, drove to class through rush hour, and took care of newborn twins at night. He was very friendly and I have no idea how on earth he had the stamina to do what he did. Everyone absolutely respected him because God drat. Maybe he was one of those fabled 3 hour a night sleepers like that super jacked big law partner who posts here sometimes

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Exodus1984 posted:

I attended my first year of law school with a bunch of other working adults in various phases of their lives and this could not be further from the truth. But, like every phase of education, people take things for what they are. People who do not take things seriously, even at some low tier law school in the midwest (where I attended) should not be there, and should either go get an MBA or enter the workforce.

That's interesting. I wonder if my different experience was due to senioritis vs first year excitement, the specific boring classes, or maybe just me. I did know one guy who signed up for night class with the express purpose of never attending, since he figured the curve would be easier. No idea why he thought that. He also failed the bar first time around.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Me a few months ago: how hard can estate wrapup/tax stuff be, I can handle this as executor myself.
Me now, reading through CLE materials and making a million phone calls: this is insane. I should have hired someone else. I hate this.

And this is for an estate that isn't going through probate!

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
One thing I'll note is that I've never seen a bleaker contract attorney market, at least in Chicago. I passed the bar in 08, couldn't find work, and did doc review for a few years making 28-30/hr. Sometimes with time and a half, often without, and hours varied. Worked at a firm for a while for less money, then went back. Eventually got plugged in with a firm that paid 35, then 37/hr in 2020. Of course, the old timers would say they were hitting 45-50/hr in the 00s.

I'm back with a firm now (more money+more stress), but see constant ads for contract attorneys. And it's all 27/hr. In 2020 that was fine because of the savings of WFH, but inflation adjusted 27/hr now is the same as the non legal, no college degree needed US census work I was doing in 2009- $18.50/hr.

A lot of people I knew did that work when scraping by as solos, or as a flexible low stress job, or just one you could trust to pay what they said instead of dangling future raises that never come. It looks like it's mostly gone now, which is surprising considering how low unemployment is overall.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Anyone have much experience with small estates that aren't in probate in Illinois? I would like to chat on a quick phone call because I feel like I'm missing something obvious and am getting really frustrated. The estate pdf from IICLE is great but not covering this exact issue.

I've talked with a few other lawyers including some family ones and am kind of hitting a wall on this.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Jewmanji posted:

I've been providing (alongside an attorney) full representation to indigent asylum seekers for the last 6-7 years (my Legal department cares very much about pro bono stuff). I decided I'd rather become a licensed attorney and do that in the second half of my career, since I derive satisfaction from helping people in a material way (which is not what my regular job amounts to). I've saved up a significant amount of cash and have tuition support from my FIL, so I'm just taking a swing and trying it out. I can go back to corporate if I lose a defensive case and fall to pieces.

Idea: for your midlife crisis, buy a cool car with that saved up cash instead of wasting it on law school

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Go to the school with the full ride dude, it’s not even a question.

I'm going to be the fly in the ointment here and ask if that's actually true considering the SAVE plan + PSLF? Even with a full ride there's still living expenses to cover.

I suppose there would be the anxiety of those plans being taken away, but even the older PAYE/IBR ones had plenty of attorneys I knew living pretty comfortably with their huge loan burdens, and they didn't even qualify for PSLF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

euphronius posted:

If trump is president there will be no PLSF

I honestly thought he was going to get rid of it in his first term, but I suppose there were so few people qualifying then that it didn't register with the feds at the time.

Frankly I still don't understand how the SAVE plan works and where the deferred interest is going (a suspense account?); it seems like there should be a taxable event either monthly or at the very end on all of it depending when it's forgiven. That's another thing that can change next year if the plan even exists then.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 16, 2024