Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Hey Phil that's a really good OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Alexeythegreat posted:

Why would there be an "interests" section on a resume at all
Is this an American thing or am I just bad at resume?

In a world where any trained gerbil can do your job, often the only thing separating one gerbil from the other is the way an interviewee connects with the interviewer. A GPA doesn't tell me whether you are or are not a stinky neckbeard who has a waifu pillow at home. I want to know if you run marathons or run a local chess club or build ornate cabnitery or whatever.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Mr. Nice! posted:

So it looks like i’ll get an offer from the state medicaid office as a level 2 analyst. They called me up this morning asking for references, and they don’t bother to do that for a non-offer.

The upsides to taking this are higher pay than a state lawyer gig and overtime if i go past 40 hours week. I’m not sure how taking this type of a position will affect my legal career.

Second interview today at the class action firm. No idea what they’re going to offer, but I don’t think it’ll pay as well as the state job or have the benefits.

Take the State job. Also, State Medicaid offices all have their own dedicated prosecutors (except for, like, South Dakota), which is a super sweet gig if you can get it.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I don’t want anyone to feel turned off about posting in here.

Phil wants everyone to be turned on when posting in here!

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Imagine living in a world where the only way to kill the goat poo poo bacteria infesting the local watering hole is to ferment the water. Now also imagine that nobody has figured out a way to ferment the water past barely 1/10th of a Budweiser. Everyone was a raging alcoholic back then because alcohol was the only thing that wouldn't kill you, but nobody could get drunk.

What a terrible, terrible hell world.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I do see the side of "it's work, just do it until you find something better" and that may be what I end up doing, but I'm going to let them know that upfront if they can't offer me anything better or give me any details of future pay that I'm leaving as soon as I find someone that will.

Do this. It's a bird in the hand but you can still go after the two in the bush. Think of it like a temp gig, don't invest emotionally, and then bail.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Aahahahaha that's awesome.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

OK, another question related to my earlier one. Do any of you deal with case or document management systems at work, what do you use, and what should people looking into that software area know?

We use Karpel.

You should know that you should not use Karpel. The case management system is more of a pile of old fish heads on a beach than a "system." The document management system is barely capable of making documents, much less managing them.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

ActusRhesus posted:

There’s stuff they want that I’m not obligated to give them because it’s a habeas and I’m the defendant. I’ve told them who they need to subpoena. Repeatedly. I am literally going home now to see how my kid liked her first day of kindergarten because my head exploded from the dumb.

Alaska disbars people who gently caress with subpoenas. If you want the cite to our caselaw let me know! And gently caress those guys!

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Munin posted:

I'd be interested in the take from the distinguished legal minds in the thread. I presume some of it would be down to the fact that most justice is delivered at the state level or lower and that leading to inconsistent outcomes. Throw in elected judges in some places for added fun and games. Sentencing guidelines and tariffs were set up to make things more consistent in a pretty decentralised system.

I had a whole long :flame: typed out but I'm just going to recommend you Google "SB91 Alaska." You can learn about the utter disaster of removing all punishment for all crimes lower than home invasion burg has been for us.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Sab0921 posted:

As a last thing I'm doing before leaving the big-law - I'm putting together a don't be a financial moron presentation for the incoming first years - generally the advice is simple (regardless of your student loan burden, max out your 401(k), focus on paying down your student loan debts, don't be that guy who buys a 5-Series with your first paycheck).

The thing I'm struggling with is how to advise them regarding an IRA - generally - all big law associates make too much to qualify for any of the tax benefits of a trad IRA and don't qualify for a Roth IRA unless they do a back-door Roth, which can be a little complicated. Generally - big law folks here - how do you deal with your retirement accounts. I never set up an IRA because I never wanted to foot fault a back-door Roth and never saw the benefit of a Traditional IRA - but wanted to get broader input before deciding whether to include IRA info in the presentation.

Definitely include information about the backdoor IRA even if you don't find it useful for your own situation. Others (myself included) find it extremely useful and could have definitely used the information much earlier than when we got it.

You can entice then with the story of Romney's insane backdoor Ira scheme he was running.

I'm not big law but between my husband and I we do alright. We max out 401k and Ira, and have a basic long-term account in mutual funds, all in target date retirement funds. That's the easy and safe road that any idiot can figure out how to do.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Tonight, I write a post on Forums dot Something Awful dot Com instead of replying to a very offensive email sent by a very inexperienced and young public defender.

Man them's some fightin' words she sent me. Whew.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

nm posted:

Post the emails motherfucker.

edit: Make sure you tell her how jewish you are.

You weirdos would dox me ten years from now when I'm about to be coiffed.

The gist of it was "my client getting tagged with a felony is all your fault you're a malicious prosecutor." But more bloviations. My response, of course, will be "according to the Jewish faith your clients actions are her own drat fault."

BigHead fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 2, 2018

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Don't you have an ethics rule on that? We do, AK rule 1.6(b). "A lawyer may reveal a client's confidence or secret to the extent the lawyer reasonably believes necessary to prevent reasonably certain substantial bodily harm."

You'll be fine, but it's right to stress, it means you were reasonably certain.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

ActusRhesus posted:

We were in jury selection for a month. Lot of people just can’t sit this type of case. We had at least 10 venirepersons break down crying.

drat. I have never heard of jury selection lasting for an entire month. That's crazy.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Nice piece of fish posted:

Here you go, here are some high steaks.

In their natural form. That right there is over half a metric ton of good quality meat.

Not bad for a couple of days work.

Hey do you have anything like a roadkill list? We have a system up here where you register a four person team with the State Troopers, and any time a moose gets murdered in the roadways the dispatchers best start calling people until some redneck shows up to claim a free moose. I'm on my brothers team. We've gotten a solid half dozen moose from the list. You just need be able to show up with a trailer within an hour to get it off the highway, otherwise they go to the next team on the list.

It's great, but very hick.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
You guys are nerds. Let's get back to talking about things that matter, like the upcoming WoT TV show on Amazon. Who do you think should play Matt? I think it should be that scrawny kid Jojen Reed kid.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

evilweasel posted:

Retention elections are worse. The only way you lose a retention election is if you rule against someone with enough money to make an issue of it.

Alaska just ousted its first judge since, like, '62 in a retention election. He was a pretty great judge. He accepted some lovely plea agreement that conformed to the lovely law our lovely legislature passed a few years ago, and that pissed off the sex assault advocate group. They were right to be pissed off, it was a lovely plea agreement, but that's because the law that makes kidnapping and felony assault non-jailable offenses is lovely. So retaining him became a referendum against the very unpopular law, and he lost.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Tokelau All Star posted:

Can you tell us more about this?

Under the new law, known as SB91, everyone arrested presumptively gets released on an ankle monitor for bail. The ankle monitor bail monitoring is a complete joke. The only requirement is that you actually have an ankle monitor, not that you pee test or breath test or house arrest or, you know, stop committing crimes. The State pays the monitoring fees for this too. Also victims weren't consulted about the bail release, which is great when the guy who just put a gun to your temple and threatened to shoot you gets let out on ankle monitor within five minutes of being booked into jail without anyone letting you know. And multiple cases going at once still qualified for presumptive release. So you could get arrested for vehicle theft, get ankle monitor bail, leave jail and steal another car, get arrested again, get released on the same ankle monitor you are currently wearing, and steal another car, etc etc. It's just get arrested, go to the jail, telephone call to the magistrate, slap ankle monitor on. Five minutes.

SB91 also set up a system whereby people could apply for restrictive ankle monitor instead of jail. That system was sort of designed for rural bush communities where there are no jails, or work release people, that sort of thing. That system was supposed to mimic real house arrest, with a dedicated monitoring agent.

SB91 conveniently said that the lovely bail release ankle monitor counted as day-for-day jail credit ankle monitor. So if you were on bail release for six months prior to sentencing, that lopped six months off your sentence. And, finally, SB91 said that if you were sentenced to 2 or less to serve (i.e. 4 years with 2 suspended), you were presumptively approved for house arrest ankle monitor to serve your "jail" time.

SB91 also lowered the presumptive range for every crime. B felonies (home invasion burglary, armed robbery, herion dealing, Assault 2) are all 0-2 for a first offense and, uh, 1-3 or 2-4 on a second offense. And it's stupidly easy for someone to spend two years on bail. I can't remember the presumptive range for A felonies off the top of my head but it's the same thing. 2-4 for manslaughter or Assault 1, served on an ankle monitor. Woo.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 10, 2018

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

ActusRhesus posted:

I wonder what the breakdown is between states with elected DAs and states like mine where it’s done by independent commission. Basically the governor appoints a panel of lawyers and judges who serve until they get bored and resign and they make all the final hiring decisions. Head States Attorneys for various districts and head office management are not members of the prosecutor’s union and are subject to periodic review/reappointment. PDs are done same way, different commission. Decisions on defense overbudget item funding are also made by the PDs commission. It’s not a perfect system but it cuts out a lot of politics.

We have a single AG overseeing all state prosecutors. AG is appointed by the governor, no election involved in any prosecutor position under the governor. And the AG is usually focused on oil and gas deals, but criminal matters. I really like our system compared to the elected systems. Or county by county systems, that would be utterly bizarre.

Also PC is enforced by our judges (most of whom are former PDs, including our entire court of appeals and everyone with a criminal background on the Supreme Court) like a Wimbledon tennis coach. The slightest iota over the line and the case is tossed. Half the time the trial court just randomly makes up the line just because they don't like the case. They'll happily toss indictments seven or eight times too, each time with internally inconsistent reasoning.

As a prosecutor you just sorta roll with it.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

joat mon posted:

Um... Isn't that the way it's supposed to work?

Yes? I was juxtaposing with the other posters.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
My colleagues in a courtroom this morning waiting for the judge (at 8:38) to start some 8:30 routine stuff:

https://youtu.be/A75icqf9M6w

That poo poo was intense. Our building had huge cracks in it.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I'll recommend Why They Do It, which is an excellent book about white collar crime. It asks the important question of why someone making twent million a year with a corporate credit card would steal a paltry million or two and risk going to jail for a decade.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Nice piece of fish posted:

At a christmas party. Alcohol is diminishing. Send help.

Start bragging about how your something awful dot com account is about to be 10 years old. You'll get asked to leave, then the Uber can swing by the liquor store on the way home!

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Lol

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Look Sir Droids posted:

Finished the Three Body Problem trilogy last night and whoever (blarzgh maybe?) told me to keep going and read books 2 and 3, v good recommendation. I actually thought most of book 1 and the first half of 2 were pretty boring and conventional. The twists were good but really slow developing and couched in technological terms that made it not all that sci-fi. But after Liu Ji wakes up from hibernation the first time and we get the 200 yr time jump woah. It never let off the gas from there. Reminded me of all the best parts of The Foundation without the super dull parts.

Hey I just finished that too! Based also upon blarzgh's (or whoever's) recommendation! And then, I also was reminded of the Foundation and I dusted off my old copy! And I also think that has so many dull parts I remembered why I never reread it!

You and I have shared a remarkably coincidental experience this last few weeks.

Are you also remodeling you kitchen? What color granite did you pick? And is your cat also diabetic? Let's see how far our coincidental convergence goes.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Javid posted:

If we're going down the list of great cautionary tales,

Hey there's another job opening in Barrow!

The judge up there just got hit by the water delivery truck (there's no reliable running water because infrastructure freezes) and the Supreme Court medically retired her. It's super tragic, she was a pillar of the community. To apply, google ajc Alaska and throw your name into the judicial council. It pays like $300k and the case load is super manageable. But you have to live in Barrow.

Edit: Barrow was renamed Utqiagvik recently. That's it's ancestral name.

The Unholy Ghost posted:

I might take this more seriously if not every Something Awful career thread was full of warnings not to enter the profession. Maybe we should start a McDonald's thread that will be the one positive career thread on the forum.

By the time I graduated, I realized what made me happiest and what I was best at was writing, and I decided I would be a novelist. Pretty much the moment I made that decision, I lost the ability to write fiction. I flailed about for a year trying to regain my creative writing, and it never came. Since I can't do what I love and what I believe I was meant to do, I'm going to focus on making money. :)

Getting this pissy when someone posts something a tiny little bit contradictory to one of your posts is a really, really strong sign that you are not cut out for being a lawyer. Every decision you make is going to be scrutinized by dozens of people, all of whom are going to argue with all of the goddamn minutia you even if they need to make poo poo up to do it, and you will not be able to rest or breathe because doing so would provide an opening to any of the many people opposing you looking for weakness, all with real life-altering consequences for your client. It's not college debate club. And you'll be poor while doing it.

Get an MBA if you want to play baller in a suit and tie, otherwise be a nurse or physician's assistant or something.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Mr. Nice! posted:

The worker’s comp job is in the compliance office, so not dealing with worker’s comp claims but prosecution of non-compliant employers.

I should know in a week or so if I get an offer. I think the interview went well. v:shobon:v

Good luck man. State employment is the tits, and if you do t like that it's easier to lateral to another state position as long as you network a bit and aren't totally goony.

The new avs rock.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Toona the Cat posted:

I would bet that a fair number of people in this thread belong to a gym filled with doughy middle aged white collar types. Yesterday a dude got into the locker room hot tub and instantly went balls first in front of one of the jets for a good 2 minutes. I think this is a clear breach of some protocol but maybe he had a sore groin muscle or something. Either way it was creepy as hell.

Dude at my gym likes doing yoga and other intense stretching in the steam room while in his birthday suit. And the steam room is small enough that someone standing in the middle is within arm's reach of everyone. Idgaf usually, buy when he sticks his tea kettle in the air with the sweaty and glistening brown eyed monster staring right at you less than an arm's length away I get uncomfortable.

Also the gym next to the courthouse is my main source of networking these days.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Mr. Nice! posted:

Roger Stone's attorneys claim that they have received terabytes of discovery from the prosecution.

One month of pole cam video is about a TB. That plus a few nerds' gaming PCs with three hundred steam games all imaged and you are at a plural number of terabytes. Big cases get up there quickly.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Throatwarbler posted:

The inland states that run along the Rockies - Utah, Nevada, Colorado, up to Montana, are pretty much free from any of those big disasters. and are also very pretty.

My friend let me introduce you to the Yellowstone Claldera. Those states are some of the most hosed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowstone_Caldera

Edit: ^^ "zoo noses"? What the gently caress how are you dying from the noses of alpacas and goats and cute lil' bunnies?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

evilweasel posted:

did you have a judge on jury duty or do you have some odd system where you get a do-over on the judge you were assigned

Do you not get a do-over on an assigned judge? We get one peremptory challenge per "side" (co-defendants are jointly one side) so max of two automatic judge changes in every case.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

joat mon posted:

How do manage that logistically in Alaska? My county has one district judge and one associate judge. The 3-county judicial district has another 3 district judges that could be pulled off their own dockets to drive 45 minutes to an hour for court if we had peremptories. I don't know how one would make it work, particularly if you wanted to avoid the "make the new judge hate you with white-hot passion" catch-22.

Sometimes with difficulty. If a party in, say, Barrow perempts the only judge for three hundred miles, then the case gets assigned to a different judge but the case stays in Barrow. So it pisses everyone under the sun off. A central hub judge (anchorage or fairbanks) will hear the case, appearing telephonically in Barrow, until trial. At trial they usually dig up a retired judge who will volunteer to go out there. We have a pretty robust system of retired judges. I know a guy who did some stupid vehicle theft trial with the just-retired Chief Justice. That was great.

If it's an anchorage case (or other hub) then the judges are used to passing cases around like hot potatoes. Nobody bats an eye. The clerks just send out a new date in front of a new judge and there you go.

If a judge is getting blanket preempted by the PDs or DA, then nobody says anything for a while, until the presiding judge calls the local agency head and tells him to knock it off. Or the offending judge gets transfered to a full civil docket.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 21, 2019

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I'm in court right now and some lawyer just showed up in a bright red jacket, blue / red checkered shirt, and an even brighter red bow tie. gently caress yeah man, you do you.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Oh my God he just stood up. He's got bright red sketchers on. And his jacket is too small for him. This is excellent.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 19, 2019

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Florida lets him assert a possibility of others' privacy invasion as a grounds to suppress against himself? Or was he asserting that the police used a drag net and he was a bycatch? How does he even have a REP in a surveillance video in someone else's business? I want to read this order. Anyone have a link to it? That ESPN article has nothing.

This whole thing smells fishy. Much like he must have smelled after visiting that place.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Mr. Nice! posted:

The order isn't public yet as the clerk hasn't finished review. It'll probably be up early in the AM.

From the article it seems the judge's bases for suppression were an inadequate warrant and insufficient minimization procedures. This was Kraft's argument. The potential hook on appeal is this is essentially a first impression when it comes to this type of warrant for Florida law.

Otherwise, no, this video is never going to come to light. It's under a temporary protective order right now, and that will be made permanent barring any appeal as it's fruit of the poisonous tree.

The judge didn't rule on the privacy invasion because Kraft has no privacy expectation when he's committing an offense.

E: Just thought of something - this is at the county court level. This is the absolute lowest trial level. If the state appeals, this may just go to circuit court down the hall to one of the other local judges. They have to go through that first before they get to an actual appellate panel.

They've fleshed out the article on espn since my post. It looks like it was a surreptitious video recording of the inside of the business. I thought it was something else. Like if you rob a Target, you can't move to suppress Target's surveillance video (well, you can, but I'd oppose and you'd lose). This was a more of a wiretap.

Still, I didn't know "did not do enough to minimize the invasion of privacy of other customers," could be a valid path to suppression. Invading the privacy of others is the whole point of a search warrant! Because people have a reasonable expectation of privacy! There must be more to it. Maybe there are special wiretap rules, I bet that's it.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Mr. Nice! posted:

loving 5.

Told my current boss about the pay offer from the other place. He said he think’s I’m worth it but he can’t pay it so is sending me on my way with well wishes.

I, for one, am glad that things are looking up for you Mr. Nice. :unsmith: Your posts were pretty grim for a while there.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Fuckin' LOL.

https://www.scotusblog.com/2019/05/challengers-in-census-case-notify-justices-about-new-evidence/

How many of us have gotten screwed by a client or witness who just decides to change their story on the witness stand. Imagine learning that your client lied to you a few weeks after SCOTUS oral arguments. Ha! That's good stuff.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

terrorist ambulance posted:

I'm in Army she says, like we're supposed to imagine her with a lip full of dip digging trenches and lugging around a rifle and a vest full of armor inserts.

When the reality of her service is more like Buster Bluth.

Do you remember when Romney was running for president? And he proudly said he "Enjoyed sport and sporting," referring to his dressage horse? That's the tone I heard from you quoting her "I'm in Army." Though Buster Bluth is also a good tone to say that in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

ActusRhesus posted:

Yes? As AG she was in a position to set policy. Setting a policy that you can go to jail if your kid is truant is bad policy.

And defending prosecutorial misconduct is a non starter for me. I don’t like that things like “said the word victim in closing argument” is called “misconduct”. But the poo poo going on in CA was objectively hosed up.

Wait is that a thing? I use the word victim all the time in closing. We have a prohibition on judges using anything other than alleged victim, but the whole point of closing is argument as to why they are a victim.