Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
So, after about 2-3 years of waiting, we finally got the timeline advanced with the newly released at GenCon 2018 book Shattered Fortress... Combined with the new beginner set as well as new box set coming out, along with the success of Harebrained Schemes's video game adaptation, it's probably time to bring back the Battletech thread in Traditional Games.

Battletech is a science fiction universe where people pilot 30 foot tall war machines (called Battlemechs) against each other in combat. The starting point for the series was the year 3025, where five factions (and a sixth behind the scenes trying to pull strings) had spent the last 300 or so years beating each other up to try to claim the mantle of First Lord of the Star League, and technology was in decline, so much so that most people would retreat or even surrender after taking serious damage because well, they not only didn't make them like they used to, they didn't make them much at all any more.

Starting in 3025, when a mercenary group (The Grey Death Legion) managed to recover a star league memory core, technology has been growing for the last 100+ years, which has provided plenty of reasons for people to go back to shooting each other, including

* Two of the five successor states (the Lyran Commonwealth and the Federated Suns) joining together to kick the poo poo out of their neighbor Capellan Confederation (The Fourth Succession War)
* The Clans (Remnants of the Old Star League Army who left, turned into a "might makes right" genetically enhanced legion over a couple hundred years, and then came back to try to conquer the Inner Sphere to recreate the Star League
* The Federated Commonwealth breaking down in a civil war one generation later, pitting brother vs sister (and a hell of a lot of their followers), which only ended when one leader was captured, and the other abdicated both thrones, putting other family members on both thrones.
* The Jihad The splinter Word of Blake decides it's time to reintroduce total warfare, pulls a poo poo-ton of warships and nuclear weapons out of it's keister and attacking everyone and anyone.
* The Wars of Reaving (all the Clans back home go apeshit on each other, erasing multiple Clans and treating the Inner Sphere as irrevocably tainted)
* The Republic of the Sphere becomes the Terran Federation/Word of Blake replacement

And now, the dark ages, which just about has everyone fighting everyone, while two of the clans remaining in the Inner Sphere attempt to take Terra and confirm their status as the top dog (or ilClan)

3025 rules are the basic rules of the game, each new age brings new weapons and new technologies, so when you play against someone, the first thing you do is agree to a timeframe because while a 100 ton assault mech like the 3025 Atlas is the king of the battlefield, in its time it's probably way out classed by a heavy mech using 3145 tech.

The Five Successor States

The Federated Suns (House Davion): It's been feast or famine for the Davions. They were the Marty Stus of the early timeframe, being the obvious good guys with belief in human rights, liberty, personal freedoms and all that jazz. They spent the first 30 or so years beating up the Capellan Confederation and taking their lunch money (as well as their worlds). After the Federated Commonwealth broke down, they ended up being a lot weaker, and the Capellans and Draconis Combine got a little bit of revenge on them, but they may be back on the upswing as they've recently regained a lot of the worlds they lost to the Combine.

The Lyran Commonwealth (House Steiner): The other half of the Federated Commonwealth, they also were the big winners of the fourth succession war. They probably have the best economy of all the successor states, but their main flaw is their "social generals", as they tend to promote generals basically on how well they schmooze with the nobles instead of you know, actually leading troops. They prefer heavier mechs, and the running joke that a "Steiner Scout Lance" would be called a 400 ton wrecking crew anywhere else. They made the mistake of inviting Clan Wolf in during the Dark Ages, and then was surprised at their sudden yet inevitable betrayal.

The Draconis Combine (House Kurita): The Samurai Successor State. They were one of the "big bads" of the early timeline (written during a time where everyone feared the Japanese would take over the world's economy). They are.. conservative to a fault in their methods and their tactics (basically, hit the opponent as hard as you can. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer and try again). Captured MechWarriors or generals who failed to bring the Dragon glory were expected to commit seppuku (ritual suicide) to wash away the shame. They modernized things in the 3050's, when Theodore Kurita took over most of the Coordinator's duties from his father. They've gone back to their old habits in the current timeline and were dealing the Federated Suns a royal beating (including taking New Avalon, the Federated Suns capital world), but recently the Davion's have fought back and reclaimed a lot of their losses.

The Capellan Confederation (House Liao): Traditionally the smallest and least powerful Successor State, they held the "villain ball" for the early time frame as they spent most of the Succession Wars losing ground to their rival nations. The Fourth Succession War was the Federated Suns and Lyran Commonwealth coming in and taking nearly 40% of the Confederation's worlds. That changed in the 3050's, where Sun-Tzu Liao took over the Capellan Confederation and basically gave the whole nation a jumpstart with "Xin Sheng" (or New/Rebirth). He made smart alliances, like with the leading Periphery nation, and turned the nation into a powerhouse. Now, his son Daoshen runs the nation, but while he seemingly has some of his father's genius, he's also likely fallen victim to the family's history of mental instability

House Marik (The Free Worlds League): When I started to write this section, I wanted to say something cool about every nation. That's kinda hard with the Free Worlds League because, well, they spend more time arguing with each other then really doing anything to other nations as part of the timeline. Part of it is that it's a loose confederation of several smaller states, and their leader has much less power to order their military to attack. So, most of the time, the Captain-General was at odds with the various factions of the League who were looking out for themselves first. The League actually broke up during the Jihad, as it was found out the current Captain-General (Thomas Marik) was a Word of Blake plant. In the current timeline, the smaller nations have taken a bit of a pounding, but the Free Worlds League has reformed (mostly) and looks to be a bit on the upswing.

The Clans: When the Star League Army left 300 years ago to avoid being pulled into the Succession Wars, they decided to go far enough away that no one would bother them, and that they could come back and reform the Star League. However, Nicholas Kerensky (son of SLDF leader Alexandr Kerensky), had a synapse fire after some breakdown in what would be the Clan Worlds. He formed 20 animal-totem based clans (such as Wolf, Jade Falcon, Smoke Jaguar, etcetera), and instituted a Might Makes Right society (Political votes can be challenged and overturned in battle).

The two major breakdowns between the Clans were originally Warden (those who wanted to protect the Inner Sphere and not interfere unless needed) and Crusader (those who wanted to conquer the Inner Sphere to reform the Star League). Now, the difference is more between the Inner Sphere Clans and the Homeworld Clans (who think the Inner Sphere is irrevocably tainted and anyone who even goes there should be purged). They had a huge technology gap benefit over the Inner Spherewhen they started, but now it's only slightly better then Inner Sphere .

As an aside the Clans are their own worst enemies at times. One dispute between two clans (Wolf and Jade Falcon) nearly ended up in the extermination of both Clans, and the Jade Falcons believe in "hard times demand hard choices" (they once killed every single member of their scientist caste rather then determine which members were part of a cabal). Their current leader, (or Khan) is Melvina Hazen, who believes that the best way to settle things is to make mountains of skulls of your enemies. To her credit, it's mostly worked for her and her clan (called the Mongol Doctrine)

ComStar: Imagine Scientology combined with AT&T. They hoard technology (they're keepers of the HyperPulse Generators, that allow interstellar communication), and behind the scenes they're trying to make sure that others don't recover technology (they believe that when all the wars end due to lack of technology, they'll take over. They went through a schism after the Clan War, where the guard types formed the basis of Comstar and the hardcore religionists formed..

Word of Blake: Battletech's answer to Al-Qeda/ISIS. They didn't take the schism with Comstar well at all, and were actively working to insinuate themselves into the 2nd Star League. Unfortunately for them, the second star league was short-lived, and they threw a hissy fit. Well, slightly more than a fit.. you see, Word of Blake was the part of ComStar that had kept all that technology from the past, and didn't see anything wrong with bombing everyone back to the stone age with orbital strikes, along with chemical and nuclear weapons. This was called the Jihad (now you know why the reference to Al-Qeda/ISIS. It took a force from all the inner sphere nations and clans to eradicate them, which led to the..

The Republic of the Sphere: Formed by one Devlin Stone, this started as a resistance group on one world, and in the space of the Jihad, somehow became a multi national army. To prevent the Inner Sphere nations from warring over who would control the liberated Word of Blake worlds, Stone formed the Republic of the Sphere, a buffer state right smack dab in the center of the Inner Sphere.

The Periphery: The "Wild West" of the Inner Sphere, the Periphery are generally smaller, poorer star nations at the fringes of the Inner Sphere. Most of the time, they just want to be left alone (they're not powerful enough to seriously threaten one of the five successor states), but combined, they had enough power to hold off the entire Star League army for several years before the Amaris coup. Famous Periphery states include the Taurian Concordat and the Magistracy of Canopus (a matriarchal led periphery state that allied itself with the Capellan Confederation to great effect)

Video Game Versions:

Harebrained Schemes Battletech Computer Game: Harebrained Schemes, led by Loren Wiseman, the original creator of Battletech, released a computer game in 2018 that takes place in the periphery and was pretty successful, enough so that Paradox Interactive have bought them and they intend on continuing to make more Battletech DLC and games.

You can see the thread here at SA for that game at : https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821533&pagenumber=1

Mechwarrior Online: This is the classic Mechwarrior online first person game. Free to play, but unless you like mega-grinding for new mechs and variants, you'll likely be charged many :10bux: , They have a single player game (Mechwarrior 5) coming out in 2019.

SA Thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846392&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

MegaMek: Good for online play (and ti handles remembering all the finicky rules for you), and there's also a campaign mode (called Against the Bot). Check it out at https://www.megamek.org/

Rules Versions

BattleMech Manual This is the latest release for the system. It has a lot of the rules that Total Warfare does, but it's more focused on big stompy robots shooting each other. If you want to play combined-arms (vehicles/infantry), etcetera, you may want to look at...

Total Warfare: the base rule book for the system.. this has all the rules for your giant robits , vehicles, aerospace fighters and what have you to fight each other. However, because the system is rather.. detailed, it starts to break down when you have a ton of units on the battlefield, which leads to..

Alpha Strike: This is a simplified version of the rules, set up to allow large scale play (companies of 12 mechs and more) without issue. As I said, much less detailed then the Total Warfare set, but you can actually do a Company vs Company game in a day instead of a week that Total Warfare would take.

The Operations Series I called these the Rabbit Hole books on my group. These are add on books which allow deeper gameplay and variant systems, some of which can be useful but you may not think you need if you just want to do "These robots and these robots fight". Things like how fires spread, campaign play such as running a unit through battletech history, generating random star systems, and even a mode where you can control a major power such as one of the Successor Houses. By themselves, you probably will think "who needs this?" But when those edge cases appear, it's nice to have. But still, grognards will fall down the Rabbit Hole here.

A Time of War
: The Battletech RPG, to roleplay in the Universe. You think Total Warfare was finicky and etailed with rules. Let's put it this way.. if I wanted to drive someone completely stark raving bonkers, I would have them create A Time of War characters without a spreadsheet. Rumored to be on the chopping block as a new edition of the RPG is supposedly being worked on. They used a lifepath system which shadowrun 5th edition would later mimic in parts, but creating a character can take forever and a day.

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Planning to cover Alpha Strike as well?

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hey now, you can't just leave out the major Periphery states, the Canopians and Taurians deserve love, too.

Pussy Cartel fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 8, 2018

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

LeSquide posted:

Planning to cover Alpha Strike as well?

yeah, there needs to be sections on the Periphery and the Time of War/Alpha Strike as well.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also, the Free Worlds League is arguably the most "liberal" of the great houses, at least going by the government modifiers on page 129 of Campaign Operations. The Cappies and Dracs, of course, are the exact opposite. So they've at least got that going for them, in addition to their constant civil wars and squabbling.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Anything else you guys think should be in the OP?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Got to play Alpha Strike at GenCon and my buddy wiped me off the map. But the rules were slick as hell. We were told it was meant for 50-100 minis per side, and that makes sense and sounds like real fun times. Then we saw the minis ran $15 a pop, even in the "sets". I suppose there has to be a medium point based buy system or something so you're not looking at a $750-1500 investment off the bat.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 8, 2018

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Philthy posted:

Got to play Alpha Strike at GenCon and my buddy wiped me off the map. But the rules were slick as hell. We were told it was meant for 50-100 minis per side, and that makes sense and sounds like real fun times. Then we saw the minis ran $15 a pop, even in the "sets". I suppose there has to be a medium point based buy system or something so you're not looking at a $750-1500 investment off the bat.

The plastic lance packs from Catalyst go for a lot cheaper. I've seen them for 10-15 bucks each, with four minis inside. If I remember correctly they were specifically made with Alpha Strike in mind.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Yep, 4 minis, each with an Alpha Strike card. They're the same scale and everything as regular BT so you can use them for both games, but at 2.50-4$ a mini it's extremely affordable. I suggest getting them while you can, because they're widely available for cheap right now but also out of print, so once the stock is gone they're gone and Catalyst isn't reprinting them.

I've run battalion on battalion battles (36 vs 36) with AS in a single evening and it's awesome. The flipside is that at very low scales it's a bit dull because it's designed for simplified play, so you lose that "blow off my opponent's own arm and beat him to death with it" granularity.

Also, about four or five years ago I almost spoiled the Fall of New Avalon here because Shattered Fortress started so long ago that it was being worked on at the same time as Field Manual 3145, and when that book came out I got the two books confused.

SirFozzie: You may want to check out for stealable material / link to the previous thread in your OP:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3293257

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also, some of the stuff in this post https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383329#post387169431 and the ones before it would be great for filling out the OP. Especially the Great House descriptions and summaries, though some of the other faction summaries contain non-canon stuff.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
So, after playing in an Alpha Strike demo and then reading it over, it occurred to some of my friends and I that beyond making company level play viable in a non-geologic time scale, Alpha Strike's rules look like they might do lance+ level conflicts on a smaller board pretty darn quick. Has anyone tried playing it as just a lighter, faster skirmish game? Given that part of the fun of battletech is the gigantic toybox of mecha and vehicles to pick from, we'd probably be proxying heavily so TLOS would definitely get the ax, but I wasn't sure if anyone had experience with just using Alpha Strike for quick matches on a 3x3 board or the like.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Weren't they doing Alpha Strike models at a different scale at one point?

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Nope, never. You're probably thinking of StratOps' Battleforce, which is built on the same base engine as Alpha Strike, but is a lance or star of mechs per "model". Those were smaller.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Things that I would put in the OP if it already wasn't big enough...

Wolf's Dragoons: Sent by the Clans to provide intelligence on the Inner Sphere before a planned invasion, it was safe to say they caused a stir when they showed up out of nowhere. Basically, they showed up with something like 5 regiments of Star League Equipment and offered themselves out to hire. It was like Blackwater showing up with several regiments of Modern Day technology during World War II and saying "Hey, this is what you guys use, right?". They broke away from the Clans to protect the Inner Sphere, and have had an illustrious if checkered history (they were nearly destroyed multiple times, during the Fourth Succession War (against the Draconis Combine when they tried to co-opt the Dragoons, leading to Takashi Kurita's infamous "Death To Mercenaries" order), the Dragoon Civil War (where factions in Wolf's Dragoons slugged it out in a succession dispute), and then just about completely in the Jihad (when the Word of Blake showed up and pretty much nuked Outreach back to the Stone Age). Currently, they're rebuilt to several regiments and are back working with the Draconis Combine (proving that time heals all wounds)

Kell Hounds:

Wait: So you're saying that any decision of the Clans can be reversed because someone's better at Fighting? Correct. Any decision can be challenged in combat. So, for example let's say Clan Furry Wombat (no there's no clan Furry Wombat) wants something, and in a vote the warriors go 2/3rds agreement, and 1/3 against it, if the 1/3d side wants to contest the vote, then they challenge the vote to a Trial of Refusal. They don't have great odds (the forces allowed are equal to the vote margin, so in this case, the force supporting the vote would have double the forces of the force against the vote. Whoever wins the trial gets their way. The Clans pretty much settle everything via trials, so the trial on say, being a Trinary (15 Mech-equivalents) is based on a one on one duel between the two people contesting the rank, not their actual ability to command the trinary. So, the Clans breed for individual combat glory, but great mechwarriors do not always make for the best leaders.

Websites (example, Sarna.net, which is the TVTropes of Battletech, meaning you can look up some historical battletech info and then spend the next 3 hours going through the rabbit hole of Battletech History)

Alaric Wolf Yeah, that's going to be a soap opera explanation. "Well, his biological mother and father warred over two Successor States, and his mother was so pissed off that she lost that she used her genes and his genes to create a son to spite him. Oh yeah, and the biological mother and father? Brother and sister. (insert Deliverance Banjo here)

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 9, 2018

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why isn't there a multi-post history of Battle Magic, the premier Inner Sphere mercenary unit until their betrayal and destruction at first Harlech? You call this a Battletech thread?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Hustlin Floh posted:

Why isn't there a multi-post history of Battle Magic, the premier Inner Sphere mercenary unit until their betrayal and destruction at first Harlech? You call this a Battletech thread?

False, the premier mercenary unit is of course, McCarron's Armored Cavalry. :colbert:

Also I don't know if I agree with the OP's description of ComStar as Scientologists when 1: they are 100% cribbing off the Catholic Church because Blake or Toyama was probably a big fan of the Foundation series and 2: Scientologists or "Scientos" are alive and well all the way to the year 3150.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Personally I'd also say the Word of Blake is Battletech's answer to the Brotherhood of Nod, complete with having their own shadowy, mysterious messiah in the form of the Master, and a love of bionics and transhuman tech.

Also everyone knows the best mercenary unit is the 21st Centauri Lancers, come on, people.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Pussy Cartel posted:

Personally I'd also say the Word of Blake is Battletech's answer to the Brotherhood of Nod, complete with having their own shadowy, mysterious messiah in the form of the Master, and a love of bionics and transhuman tech.

Also everyone knows the best mercenary unit is the 21st Centauri Lancers, come on, people.

Word of Blake wishes they were half as cool as the Brotherhood. And Wilson’s Hussars for best merc; surely they’ve sunk so low they’ve wrapped around to awesome!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Blazing Aces, bitches.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

The Battletech: Battlemech Manual might also be worth mentioning as something to consider rather than Total Warfare.

Here's how it diffes from Total Warfare:

+Rewords rules for clarity.
+Errata corrections.
+Took the "advanced" rules players actually use from Tactical Operations (currently out of print), and left out the ones people barely touch.
-Cuts out all rules for Vehicles, Infantry.

Myrmidongs fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 12, 2018

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Myrmidongs posted:

The Battletech: Battletech Manual might also be worth mentioning as something to consider rather than Total Warfare.

Here's how it diffes from Total Warfare:

+Rewords rules for clarity.
+Errata corrections.
+Took the "advanced" rules players actually use "advanced" from Tactical Operations (currently out of print), and left out the ones people barely touch.
-Cuts out all rules for Vehicles, Infantry, and 4-Legged Mechs.

Got an example for what rules it keeps vs ditches?

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Rules for quad mechs are still in the Manual. They were not cut.

From TO, the Manual gives the following options:

Sprinting
Backward Level Changes
Careful Stand
Partially-Occupied Hexes
Extended Arm Flipping
One-Arm Prone Fire
Floating Criticals
Ejection
Engine Explosions
Wreckage
Rapid-Fire Machine Guns

Plus simplified fire & smoke rules and simplified basic weather, both of which are new to the Manual but appear in TO in more complex forms.
It also has pretty much every useful mech-relevant piece of equipment from TO. Only a handful of pieces were left out, like Handheld Weapons and Remote Sensors: things that took up entire pages by themselves and which very few mechs have.

This post covers the basic ideas and philosophy behind the book:
https://bg.battletech.com/news/news-and-announcements/what-is-the-battlemech-manual/

I wrote the book, so if you have any other questions on it feel free to ask.

(P.S. It's BattleMech Manual, not Battletech Manual; the latter being a book from 1987 or so. Not trying to be pedantic; I just don't want someone buying some ancient useless book by mistake).

Xotl fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 12, 2018

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Xotl posted:

(P.S. It's BattleMech Manual, not Battletech Manual; the latter being a book from 1987 or so. Not trying to be pedantic; I just don't want someone buying some ancient useless book by mistake).

Yeah, I'm juust dyslexic enough that stupid mistakes like that get through, like also putting Advanced twice.

Also, thanks for the book.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Yeah. I'm glad it looks like Btech FINALLY has some forward momentum. Updated the OP.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hell yes! Subbed to this thread. Amazon is selling the latest edition of Total Warfare:

and I play monthly in the Brooklyn Battletech group. We're hyped for the Illclan stuff coming out. We did a Wolf and Blake convoy escort scenario recently, which was pretty fun.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's hard to believe I'm close to finally seeing the community bitch about the developers sucking off their clear favorite, Clan <blank> by making them the big daddy and ruining the setting forever. I almost thought this day would never come.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Good joke about Ilclan guys, I can't believe they're still saying that exists.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mulva posted:

It's hard to believe I'm close to finally seeing the community bitch about the developers sucking off their clear favorite, Clan <blank> by making them the big daddy and ruining the setting forever. I almost thought this day would never come.

Was there any Usenet complaining when Smoke Jaguar got smashed? I can't wait for the talk of betrayal to the fanbase that comes up when they actually start doing something with the setting/metaplot again.

I picked up the Wasp and Valkyrie at Gencon. I'm thinking of painting the Wasp up in Genyosha colors and the Valkyrie in Davion Guards colors. Anyone have any interesting recommendation for paint schemes since I probably won't play with them too much?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Capellan Confederation for IlClan

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Was there any Usenet complaining when Smoke Jaguar got smashed? I can't wait for the talk of betrayal to the fanbase that comes up when they actually start doing something with the setting/metaplot again.

I picked up the Wasp and Valkyrie at Gencon. I'm thinking of painting the Wasp up in Genyosha colors and the Valkyrie in Davion Guards colors. Anyone have any interesting recommendation for paint schemes since I probably won't play with them too much?

One of the personalities there was a big fan of the Capellans, and she wasn't happy about the way the Cappies were treated.. (although it was funny, a friendly duel she had with one of the BTech designers at the time led to Gausszilla being a thing)

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
So, in vidya game news, they announced the first DLC for the Battletech computer game, including multi mission chains (called Flashpoints) and a new mech (the Hachetman)

Now if we can just convince Paradox to buy the pen and paper rights. :)

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

SirFozzie posted:

So, in vidya game news, they announced the first DLC for the Battletech computer game, including multi mission chains (called Flashpoints) and a new mech (the Hachetman)

Now if we can just convince Paradox to buy the pen and paper rights. :)

It worked out magnificently for WoD

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Bedlamdan posted:

It worked out magnificently for WoD

I think he means the rights to make an adaptation of the pen-and-paper game so that there'd be a Battletech game that played like Crusader Kings.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

I think he means the rights to make an adaptation of the pen-and-paper game so that there'd be a Battletech game that played like Crusader Kings.

I'd be down. I got into the setting because I like giant robots, but I stayed into it because I also like dysfunctional feudal backstabbing.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Bedlamdan posted:

I'd be down. I got into the setting because I like giant robots, but I stayed into it because I also like dysfunctional feudal backstabbing.

There's material there for a new thread title

The new starter set is rumored to be coming out, do we know when, and what scale the models still be?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Signal posted:

There's material there for a new thread title

The new starter set is rumored to be coming out, do we know when, and what scale the models still be?

New box sets are Q3 and same scale as before. I have both preordered so I can get all the little plastic mans.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
October is the assumed date for the new boxes. It's all down to shipping, customs, and distribution at this point.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

New box sets are Q3 and same scale as before. I have both preordered so I can get all the little plastic mans.

Thanks! What scale is the same scale as before? XD. I have a single old starter, and I'm unsure how large they're supposed to be. If I 3d print some mechs and vehicles to supplement, how large skills i be making them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Signal posted:

Thanks! What scale is the same scale as before? XD. I have a single old starter, and I'm unsure how large they're supposed to be. If I 3d print some mechs and vehicles to supplement, how large skills i be making them?

1/285 scale