Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

kingcom posted:

EDIT: Actually doesn't this happen in Double Blind too? The mechwarrior steals a clint, hacking its password without even any equipment but has to deal with the neurohelment being rigged to someone else .

Yeah, Marcus steals a Clint and pilots it even though it's tuned to someone else. It talks about the pounding headache from incorrect tuning.

In Star Lord, Duncan Karma and Rod Trade use a magnet to override the lockout on a Warhammer. Just hold the magnet on a certain part of the console during start-up and it scrambles the lockout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Oh yeah, I forgot about Star Lord. That novel was someone's Mechwarrior RPG tabletop campaign. :allears:

It's pretty bonkers, like after the PC party main characters get captured about half-way in we suddenly find out one of them has been a gigantic muscle-man capable of punching locked doors off their hinges the entire time.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 28, 2023

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Black Dragon, the third Camacho's Caballeros book, involves treasonous Kurita forces highjacking the Caballeros' mechs en masse. I don't remember if they had some fancy technology that was allowing them to do so, I think they just had the techs refitting them at gunpoint.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Rose was a Blakist? I thought he was basically a secular Comstar vet? I thought that was one of the cooler things about his novels

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about Star Lord. That novel was someone's Mechwarrior RPG tabletop campaign. :allears:

It's pretty bonkers, like after the PC party main characters get captured about half-way in we suddenly find out one of them has been a gigantic muscle-man capable of punching locked doors off their hinges the entire time.

Apparently that whole book's writing process was a favor to someone, which makes a goodly amount of sense from what you're describing.

This discussion is kind of moot if we're going to use the fiction however, since most, if not all of the fiction seems to change its mind on what exactly constitutes a mechwarrior at any given lance, GDL1 more or less states you need an olympic athlete's level of preparation, like you start at age five and other sources its just a thing you can join the army and then train for and qualify for. Don't get me started on PPCs having nonsense levels of inconsistency - they are one shot kills in some parts of BT media, and yet in MW5 last night I popped a locust with three ppcs to the CT and it just kept right on zipping

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 28, 2023

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

GD_American posted:

Rose was a Blakist? I thought he was basically a secular Comstar vet? I thought that was one of the cooler things about his novels

PTN has a lot of (generally very good) fan theories that he presents as fact and this is one of them.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

FishFood posted:

Black Dragon, the third Camacho's Caballeros book, involves treasonous Kurita forces highjacking the Caballeros' mechs en masse. I don't remember if they had some fancy technology that was allowing them to do so, I think they just had the techs refitting them at gunpoint.
The 'mechs were all in the service bays and they had Caballero techs at gunpoint. The Caballero techs were sabotaging the process in any way they could but something like "neurohelmet gives me a splitting headache" is something obvious enough that even an ISF agent would notice.

That was also the ISF, and many of the machines they chose to take over were former Kurita 'Mechs captured in the previous novel (like Colonel Camacho's Naginata).

In the previous novel, Hearts of Chaos, the reason the Black Dragons spend so long waiting to go after the Caballeros is because they're codebreaking the Caballero 'mechs; the Caballeros can't just steal their 'Mechs back until Chandrasekhar Kurita sends them a little clandestine support by way of a Merchant-caste Jade Falcon DropShip that brought a codebreaking disc that could crack standard 'Mech encryption in a matter of seconds. The DropShip was both unmarked and protected by unarmored Elementals so my personal suspicion is Chandrasekhar Kurita was secretly funding the nascent Society and called in a favor.

In the very first novel he was secretly dealing with the Clans and the Caballeros were complicit in setting up a patsy to take the fall for him because the ISF had discovered his treachery. :allears:

Chandrasekhar Kurita was the setting's best supervillain.

GD_American posted:

Yeah, that's me cracking jokes. Rose probably wasn't actually a Blakist (they nuked him) but he fits the pattern of WoB sleeper agent really well.

The fiction does try to be at least as consistent as the old Star Wars EU, but every author brought their own ideas and twists to the table and most of them bent rules where needed to make their stories better.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 28, 2023

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Also any plan that causes misery to the Caballeros gets a bonus to its success chance.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

PoptartsNinja posted:

He really was the best. Just living his best life being fed grapes on a reclining couch while funding terrorists and surreptitiously passing laws for shorter work weeks.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Chandy Kurita would have been the perfect employer NPC for a Mercenaries video game. Everything you'd need- wealth, humor, shadiness, connections to multiple factions for story possibilities.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

If that changed in the Dark Ages novel line, I'd love to know. Ghost War was bad enough it put me off the whole line.
It's definitely changed by the time of the Rogue Academy Trilogy. The cadets of the Emporia MechWarrior Academy switch mechs constantly, have all the noble-owned mechs stolen by the Seventh Ghosts who've deserted the Draconis Combine, and then steal them back again, then have the Seventh re-capture some of them, then re-re-capture them back again.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Apparently that whole book's writing process was a favor to someone, which makes a goodly amount of sense from what you're describing.

The author was a Vietnam War chaplain, surprisingly enough; I don't think he had anything to do with FASA that might cause him to be owed a favour. I have a bunch of items from his estate. But Blaine Pardoe did do some degree of a rewrite on the book, as it wasn't up to professional standards in its first draft, apparently.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

It's definitely changed by the time of the Rogue Academy Trilogy. The cadets of the Emporia MechWarrior Academy switch mechs constantly, have all the noble-owned mechs stolen by the Seventh Ghosts who've deserted the Draconis Combine, and then steal them back again, then have the Seventh re-capture some of them, then re-re-capture them back again.

Like to be perfectly honest, wiping a system and re-installing the firmware is one of the easiest processes so once you get past battlemechs being an artifact of technological regression, stealing and repurposing stuff shouldn't be that difficult for professionals with equipment.

To go back to the original point I think fundamentally the 80s schlock of battletech makes its very important that a man or woman with a mullet, shoulderpads, and no pants, is capable of jumping into a parked battlemech and driving it out the hanger to the save the day. There is genuinely an abundance of this appearing in the fiction and I think enhances so much of the mythological function of battlemechs that people can know things like 'oh on this particular battlemaster variant you can hold a magnet in just the right place to scramble the security lockout system and nobody can do anything to patch that part of the OS because the source code is lostech'.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Unironically I think the settings strongest antagonists have been the ones working as long standing threats and combatants that are then pulled in to work against a larger threat. It adds a lot of gusto if they have treated all human relationships with a level impersonality that working with them doesn't bother them and/or provides a great deal of world building when these people are stuck together to overcome that threat and figure out their moves when the game starts again.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 29, 2023

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

PoptartsNinja posted:

Uncle Chandy was pretty good.

Double Blind Sun Tzu Liao was amazing. Stackpole wrote him as a one-dimensional mustache twirling villain. Coleman gave him actual depth and motivation and made him an interesting character. His surprise visit to Canopus was a fun chapter.

I had some email correspondence with Victor Milan before he passed about how well he captured the southwest and the whole Ricky Rodeo cowboy archetype. Cowboy Payson was almost a carbon copy of a guy I grew up with in south Texas, right down to the lanky build and absurd swagger.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Vic Milan was a massive boon to the IP. The Caballeros stuff was a shot in the arm for what was becoming a tired series of books at the time.

Hell, he made two of the best Wild Cards characters too; Mackie Messer and Captain Trips.

I wish there was enough money in genre publishing to get other established sci-fi writers involved, instead of the somewhat more literate grognards we usually got.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

PoptartsNinja posted:

If that changed in the Dark Ages novel line, I'd love to know. Ghost War was bad enough it put me off the whole line.

You really should give the Dark Age books a chance, starting with "Fortress of Lies" or "Flight of the Falcon". I grew up with them so I don't think Ghost War or A Call to Arms are any worse than your typical BattleTech novels, but even I recognized that the Proving Grounds Trilogy, That Powers #3 book were pretty bad.

By Sword of Sedition the series is very good, and the last ten especially detailing the Steiner/Wolf invasion of Marik territories is up there with almost all of the best BattleTech stuff.

Vic Milan also wrote all 3 Jade Falcon-centric novels for the Dark Age Line. Under him, Malvina was a really interesting, and dangerous character. The right mix of crazy and lucid. As soon as she switched to new authors they just made her "Mad Malvina, who kills anyone (Except you can actually talk her down, what the f*ck were you thinking BLP) no matter how shortsighted, and easily outwitted.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

(Except you can actually talk her down, what the f*ck were you thinking BLP)

That the Confederacy was good.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Taerkar posted:

That the Confederacy was good.
You can tell this from his work going as far back as Roar of Honor.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Arquinsiel posted:

You can tell this from his work going as far back as Roar of Honor.

What a silly title

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I mean yes I know that , I really do think all of the books they had BLP write to get IlClan (Including Hour) were just phoned in and not cared about, because his last BattleTech book, No Substitute for Victory is actually decent with characters you don't hate. It's no Shakespeare, but it typical BattleTech fiction. I got it used and figured why not just for completionist's sake, was pleasantly surprised.

Still, with Lethal Lessons coming out, I'm pretty tired of more novels about "CLAN WARRIOR LEFT BEHIND AFTER GOING TO TERRA, HOW WILL THEY STOP THE (rightful) INNER SPHERE FROM CONQUERING (The Inner's Sphere's) PLANET (back)." Give me my Spirit Cat or Kurita novel already darnit.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There are basically three BattleTech stories, that's just a new twist on the most popular one so we're getting a lot of it these days.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I mean yes I know that , I really do think all of the books they had BLP write to get IlClan (Including Hour) were just phoned in and not cared about, because his last BattleTech book, No Substitute for Victory is actually decent with characters you don't hate. It's no Shakespeare, but it typical BattleTech fiction. I got it used and figured why not just for completionist's sake, was pleasantly surprised.

Still, with Lethal Lessons coming out, I'm pretty tired of more novels about "CLAN WARRIOR LEFT BEHIND AFTER GOING TO TERRA, HOW WILL THEY STOP THE (rightful) INNER SPHERE FROM CONQUERING (The Inner's Sphere's) PLANET (back)." Give me my Spirit Cat or Kurita novel already darnit.

He more or less stated he knew for sure his "Antifa takes over the government" novel would cost him Battletech and did it anyway, honestly the most charitable take is that it prpbably gets tiresome writing for a big franchise where your creative control is limited.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Arquinsiel posted:

There are basically three BattleTech stories, that's just a new twist on the most popular one so we're getting a lot of it these days.

My dream novel right now is something about the Spirit Cats and how they rebuild 3137-3151. Could be a character study about how survivors of genocide get back to rebuilding their lives, how a Republic Clan population has syncretized and changed, mixed in with Marik/Sea Fox politics before Alaric at the end offers them a deal they can 't refuse (Join ClanLeague and Kisho+Genetic Repository is theirs)). Throw in a bunch of non-warrior characters to view a different part of Clan society.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

He more or less stated he knew for sure his "Antifa takes over the government" novel would cost him Battletech and did it anyway, honestly the most charitable take is that it prpbably gets tiresome writing for a big franchise where your creative control is limited.

You know I just got out of an argument with someone who insisted the only issue CGL considered when letting BLP go was the McClosky one, and I was like, mmmm pretty sure it was a multi-factor thing. But we've beat that dead horse of a discussion over and over again here, so I'll desist.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

It's still weird to me that he did that and then went to make his own mecha series with hookers and blackjack.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Another round of Classic today, with the same clanner player from last week. Ice Ferret and Ebon Jaguar (both Prime) vs Grand Dragon, Cyclops, Spider, and Shadow Hawk.

I did not get nearly as lucky with positioning this time around. And I'm increasingly tempted to write off the Cyclops, having tried both AC20 and gauss varieties; it's an overgrown Hunchback that really isn't earning any value back. But hey, other guy got to have his first two mission kills (gyro-killing the Shadow Hawk and legging the Spider) and it was overall a good time. Having the map packs for some terrain variety did help quite a bit.

Very much enjoying the GD and Spider still. Unsurprisingly probably going to be staples for me.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006
Sadly amidst all of the rancor over Dominions the real setting-shattering revelation was missed, despite staring everyone in the face: the Isle of Skye is back.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

DeepThrobble posted:

Sadly amidst all of the rancor over Dominions the real setting-shattering revelation was missed, despite staring everyone in the face: the Isle of Skye is back.

Is that hidden in D.D.? Or the other latest book about Sea Foxes?

Also, why have I never seen this posted before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzOMNbNllJE

Too bad it's about the schismatics over the literally dumbest possible reason.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SkyeAuroline posted:

Another round of Classic today, with the same clanner player from last week. Ice Ferret and Ebon Jaguar (both Prime) vs Grand Dragon, Cyclops, Spider, and Shadow Hawk.

I did not get nearly as lucky with positioning this time around. And I'm increasingly tempted to write off the Cyclops, having tried both AC20 and gauss varieties; it's an overgrown Hunchback that really isn't earning any value back. But hey, other guy got to have his first two mission kills (gyro-killing the Shadow Hawk and legging the Spider) and it was overall a good time. Having the map packs for some terrain variety did help quite a bit.

Very much enjoying the GD and Spider still. Unsurprisingly probably going to be staples for me.
Try the CP-11-B model Cyclops. It's a slow 3/5 assault but with two Gauss, an LRM 10, and a pair of medium lasers so it's a solid sniper with some hole-seeking capability. Sit it at the back of the field with good LoS and it's scary.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Arquinsiel posted:

Try the CP-11-B model Cyclops. It's a slow 3/5 assault but with two Gauss, an LRM 10, and a pair of medium lasers so it's a solid sniper with some hole-seeking capability. Sit it at the back of the field with good LoS and it's scary.

It's on the list, but it's from after the time frame we've been playing so I haven't brought it out.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Is that hidden in D.D.? Or the other latest book about Sea Foxes?

It's on the Dominion map but we've known about it since Shrapnel 11 came out last month

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

SkyeAuroline posted:

It's on the list, but it's from after the time frame we've been playing so I haven't brought it out.

The Cyclops is in a weird position, because it's an assault 'Mech that trades armor for speed and firepower. Except it's not very fast, and its firepower isn't great because it spent tonnage for the wrong things (heavy autocannons and missiles). Basically: it's too fast for its weightclass and armament so it winds up being only about as armored as a midrange heavy 'Mech to compensate. It's also full of explosives so it's easy to crit to death.

Unlike the Banshee, which at least got the early BNC-3S variant that slowed it down and made it scary, it takes forever for the Cyclops to ever get the engine downgrade that transforms it into a more traditional assault 'Mech. It's pretty much a 'Mech that was always intended to be on the far back line using its mobility to not get in fights at all.

There's a reason William Cameron piloted a Cyclops (died in a Cyclops, really) and his gene-descendant Brian Cameron piloted a Hellbringer though. They both follow the same design philosophy: trade armor for armament and Command & Control capability and hope the firepower is enough to deter attackers (it's not :haw: ). Despite appearances, the Hellbringer isn't a Clan replacement for the Warhammer. It's the Clan replacement for the Cyclops. :ssh:

Anyway, TLDR: I'd suggest trying the CP-10-Q, which trades the AC/20 for armor, a medium laser, and a second LRM-10. The paired LRM-10s aren't powerhouses but they at least give it a little more reliable damage than hoping a faster enemy blunders into the range of its AC/20. The real draw is the seven extra tons of armor which the Cyclops sorely needs.

Edit: It also looks less threatening than the AC/20 or Gauss Rifle variant until the OpForce ignores it and gives it a chance to use that 4/6 movement to kick their legs off.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 30, 2023

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mounting an AC/20 or other similarly dangerous weapon while mounting thin armor is just a bad idea. You might as well just put a big magnet on it because it's already going to attract all the gunfire on the field.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

They laughed at my clown-painted 2/2/2 Wolverine with an AC/20 and Hardened Armor.

I laughed at their funerals

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

If you let something that moves 2 shoot you, you absolutely deserve what you get. They'd straight up take my Griffin from me for malfeasance like that.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Defiance Industries posted:

If you let something that moves 2 shoot you, you absolutely deserve what you get. They'd straight up take my Griffin from me for malfeasance like that.

The joke is more that it's a bullet magnet to allow its lancemates to go to work.

I can absolutely attest to the fear-inducing qualities of the AC-20. I've had Victors go down without ever getting into range in two separate games that I remember.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I just discovered the Night Chanter (OMNI CRAB!!!) and Spirit Walker (omni Black Knight.)

My SO has proposed a game with 6 units 12000 BV so I said gently caress it, I'll make a dumb theme force of Clan Coyote and the first four omnimechs ever made - those two plus Coyotl and Lupus. He also said a Protomech point counts as one unit so I'm bringing a point of Delphynes. Protomechs aren't so popular but IDGAF, I'm taking a bunch of 5/8/5 pew pew laser dragons. I also need even more pulse lasers because he likes jumping into heavy woods so I'm bringing a point of Corona BA. Which is another 5 medium pulse lasers even if it doesn't count as 5 separate attack rolls.

If I win I'm actually expecting it to be because of the Delphynes, Coronas, and their collective 10 blocks of armor/10 medium pulse lasers. The mechs aren't anything super special at least.

edit: probably going to go with Coyotl A instead and bump up with Delphyne skill levels to 3 instead of the BA. Which would be 3 large pulse, 6 medium pulse, and the Spirit Walker's TC-boosted gauss rifle and ER mediums all with skill 3, which might be enough for all the woods jumping... otherwise I'm boned lmao. (I'm going with the Spirit Walker A instead of the prime and its pulse lasers because the A excites me more)

edit 2: I actually have won most of my games with him but this is the first time in a few games that I'm leaving my comfort zone of Word of Blake so it's going to be weird (and that's because he's playing WoB, hence the 6 units)

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 30, 2023

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

My dream novel right now is something about the Spirit Cats and how they rebuild 3137-3151. Could be a character study about how survivors of genocide get back to rebuilding their lives, how a Republic Clan population has syncretized and changed, mixed in with Marik/Sea Fox politics before Alaric at the end offers them a deal they can 't refuse (Join ClanLeague and Kisho+Genetic Repository is theirs)). Throw in a bunch of non-warrior characters to view a different part of Clan society.

You know I just got out of an argument with someone who insisted the only issue CGL considered when letting BLP go was the McClosky one, and I was like, mmmm pretty sure it was a multi-factor thing. But we've beat that dead horse of a discussion over and over again here, so I'll desist.

I dont think anyone here thinks Pardoe got uh, not recontracted(do not say fired, 'fired' is Pardoe's narrative) for anything but being a oval office. My personal thing is that he knew this was more of a time-out than anything else but rode the cancelled train for publicity and sympathy, and seeing "NOT BUYING THIS UNLESS YOU REINSTATE BLAINE PARDOE" under Cgl announcement tweets seems to be the biggest effect. I would be genuinely shocked if it affected the fortunes of the kickstarter at all(I also dont think anti-pardoe sentiment would fuel the KS's sales either, I think people are just planning to buy big for discount mechs and KS exclusives like that fighter)

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 30, 2023

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Give me my Spirit Cat or Kurita novel already darnit.

A novel about Minoru Kurita's path to the Nova Cats would be interesting.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I dont think anyone here thinks Pardoe got uh, not recontracted(do not say fired, 'fired' is Pardoe's narrative) for anything but being a oval office. My personal thing is that he knew this was more of a time-out than anything else but rode the cancelled train for publicity and sympathy, and seeing "NOT BUYING THIS UNLESS YOU REINSTATE BLAINE PARDOE" under Cgl announcement tweets seems to be the biggest effect. I would be genuinely shocked if it affected the fortunes of the kickstarter at all(I also dont think anti-pardoe sentiment would fuel the KS's sales either, I think people are just planning to buy big for discount mechs and KS exclusives like that fighter)

I get the distinct feeling that a good number of these people shrieking about reinstating Pardoe are just right wing culture warriors who jump into every debate screaming about cancel culture, and don't actually buy from CGL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
BattleTech always had a kind of worryingly right-leaning fanbase. It's one of the reasons I very rarely posted on the official forums, since thinly veiled poo poo was let fly for a very long time. If anything Pardoe getting the boot just coincided with a pile of culture war poo poo and someone doing the maths.