Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Audible must have users and i hear the ads all the time on podcasts but nobody can tell me a single audiobook that's worth listening to?

Has anyone made it through a AUDIO BOOK before? I'm trying to see the appeal. Someone please name a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

SpaceAceJase posted:

Audible must have users and i hear the ads all the time on podcasts but nobody can tell me a single audiobook that's worth listening to?

Has anyone made it through a AUDIO BOOK before? I'm trying to see the appeal. Someone please name a good one.

Samuel L. Jackson's "Go the gently caress to Sleep"

It's a winner :thumbsup:

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I listened to all of the Dune series (original) and The Fifth Season on audiobook and would recommend them. Autobiographies narrated by the author work really well in that format, too much flowery prose or technobabble may not.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

you come off as a complete bitch. You don't like books but want someone to read you one? Heh. Audible is for book fans that also have to work or commute you gently caress. Not for assholes that can't finish a book.

Hope that helps.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Dark Tower 2 audibook read by Stephen King where he talks about honkey mahfahs

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Running time: 63 hours.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
how many hours is the John Galt speech

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Three hours, apparently.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

SpaceAceJase posted:

There aren’t any. Just watch TV.

Jigglesby
Jan 16, 2015

I listened to a couple of Vietnam War books recently:

Neil Sheehan's A Bright Shining Lie narrated by the deep booming voice of Robertson Dean.
Hablerstams The Best and the Brightest by Mark Bramhall.

Shelby Foote's Civil War narrated by Grover Gardner is like getting the straight poop from a guy that was there.

The key is to find a voice that doesn't piss you off, the subject material is secondary.

I grabbed what sounds like an interesting book on the concentration camp system and it sounded important and interesting but the narrator uses stereotypical national accents depending on the last name of the person he's quoting. I didn't last more than a few minutes.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I like history because I don't worry about spacing out a paragraph here or there, its history.

Jigglesby fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Aug 8, 2018

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jigglesby posted:

I grabbed what sounds like an interesting book on the concentration camp system and it sounded important and interesting but the narrator uses stereotypical national accents depending on the last name of the person he's quoting. I didn't last more than a few minutes.

harro. hiroshima was disonorabu. ahh!!

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
mods please delete the previous post.i think i was hacked by youths

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Jigglesby posted:

Shelby Foote's Civil War narrated by Grover Gardner is like getting the straight poop from a guy that was there.

but half the appeal of Shelby Foote is listening to his own voice!

Jigglesby
Jan 16, 2015

I love it. It's something like 150 hours of northern aggression yip yap all together.

Zidrooner
Jul 20, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Masters of Doom, a chronicle about the creation of the video game Doom, (and really the personal lives of ID software's main people) is a great listen.

Also audiobooks I think are a good format for self help books. At least, it's my preferred way of "reading" them.

Also be careful not to end up listening to an abridged version of a book, that poo poo is garbage.

Zidrooner fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 8, 2018

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

SpaceAceJase posted:

I don't understabd the question, like there are over 9000 really good books and at least a few must have an audible version sooo.. is it the format you're having trouble with??

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Audiobooks and gym are a winning combination. Particularly when you are doing stuff like weightlifting and not running.

davidofmk771
Dec 27, 2010
i listen to those long scifi and fantasy novels like ringworld and hyperion and conan and stuff that im never gonna actually read because its not really compelling literature but the stuff they talk about is pretty cool

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Colonel Cancer posted:

Audiobooks and gym are a winning combination. Particularly when you are doing stuff like weightlifting and not running.

this is the answer - though it also does work with running ok if you invest in an armstrap for a mighty like 20 bucks.

or, audiobooks and your commute

or, audiobooks and yardwork

or, audiobooks and cleaning/cooking/laundry/etc

individual audiobooks may have good or bad performances but the real killer app for audiobooks is turning the brain dead periods in your life into brain enriching periods. if you drive 20 minutes to work one way well that's 40 minutes a day or ~13 hours a month you have available to listen to books. 13 hours is a normal 200-250 page book. what are you missing out on, the 87th naval-gazing news update that NPR's poo poo out in the last hour or the millionth repetition of Hit Pop Song on 101.9 THE DONG? throw that poo poo away, nobody cares. get something nonfiction and loving learn something, or get some fun fiction and get a story that actually engages your whole brain for once.

if you have current reading habits, audiobooks don't replace those. there's a huge amount of value in spreading out on the couch with a good book and just reading for an afternoon. but man, people are busy, they do not have that many afternoons to spread out on the couch. everyone has a commute, everyone's got chores, and audiobooks are there to slot into those times to let your brain go to the gym.

audiobooks are good, op

as far as individual good ones go:

- american gods has an ensemble cast on audible and is loving hella good
- ron chernow's biographies on enlightenment era ppl are hella good
- algorithms to live by, written by tom griffiths and brian christian is hella good
- armada and ready player one are hella bad but it's loving hilarious listening to Wil Wheaton trying to take the books seriously
- Big Dead Place by Eirik Sonneland is insanely good, the stories of a janitor down in antarctica and it's mostly boredom, drinking, and sex in the broom closet
- peter f hamilton's books are pretty much a do-no-wrong if you like epic space operas - but get ready for the long haul his shortest story is like 80 hours over 2 books
- the martian is done by R. C. Bray and that motherfucker brings those characters to life, he owns insanely hard

i could go on but that covers most of the genres i can come up with right now

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Aug 8, 2018

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Charlton Heston narrating Madonna's SEX. My.. vaGINA

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Snow Crash.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
neal stephenson sucks so bad at endings and infodumps I feel like he ruins his books on purpose as a joke

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Coolguye posted:

neal stephenson sucks so bad at endings and infodumps I feel like he ruins his books on purpose as a joke

Those infodumps are less annoying in an audiobook than in a real book imo.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
Terry Pratchett books read by Nigel planter are some pretty swell listens to. Each book is about 10 hours, so I go through a book a week with my commute.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I've been alternating between Red Mars trilogy and assorted Witcher audiobooks the past few months, all pretty solid.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I listened to the unabridged version of Anna Karenina read by Maggie Gyllenhaal. She does a really good job with subtle differences in each character's internal monologue so that she isn't putting on voices but they still feel different. It got me through a massive wood working project, but after that I decided I prefer to only listen to nonfiction and stick to actually reading for fiction.

The latest I've been listening to is Bad Blood by Daniel Carreyrou, about Theranos. The vocal performance is always no thrills on nonfiction but the story of Theranos is absolutely wild.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Moon Atari posted:

I listened to the unabridged version of Anna Karenina read by Maggie Gyllenhaal. It got me massive wood

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
iirc audible is garbage because you can only have one book a month or some poo poo like that

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
Audio books have gotten me to and home from my soul destroying desk job for a decade now.
Great for planes, airports all sorts of places.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Moon Atari posted:

The latest I've been listening to is Bad Blood by Daniel Carreyrou, about Theranos. The vocal performance is always no thrills on nonfiction but the story of Theranos is absolutely wild.

Its real good. Elizabeth Holmes definitely needs to spend at least a couple of years in prison.

Other entertaining non-fiction books with excellent audible versions:

In Cold Blood
The Looming Tower
Columbine
The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich
The Robert Caro LBJ books (150-ish hours total i think)
People Who Eat Darkness (true crime from japan)
Going Clear

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
Norm MacDonald's "Based on a True Story" is the only audiobook I've tried and it turned out to be one of the best / funniest listening experiences, spanning about 7 hours and about three listens. It's him telling funny stories and half truths about his career trajectory and I highly recommend it. The audiobook version of Based on a True Story is the definitive way to enjoy that particular book.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
someone told me the game of thrones ones were good and they are hilarious they are read by like a nine hundred year old man, who has two voices, old gravel voiced man and old crone. sansa sounds exactly like their nanny that dies in the first book. bran sounds like a cross between sansa and aegon.

FreelanceZenarchist
Jun 18, 2009
William Shatner reading "The Return", the Star Trek book he wrote where Kirk comes back to life and is better than everyone at everything is pretty dope. As a bonus it includes him doing really bad impressions of Spock, Data, and Picard.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FreelanceZenarchist posted:

William Shatner reading "The Return", the Star Trek book he wrote where Kirk comes back to life and is better than everyone at everything is pretty dope. As a bonus it includes him doing really bad impressions of Spock, Data, and Picard.

for a book like that i'd rather have zapp branigan reading it

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Frank Muller reading Moby Dick is real good. Same with Blood Meridian read by Richard Poe. Both novels can be tough to read because the language really demands your attention. It's good to read them so you can take your time, but the writing is so good and the narrators so perfect that they really work as audiobooks.

Ligament
Jun 12, 2018
Biscuit Hider

scott zoloft posted:

Norm MacDonald's "Based on a True Story" is the only audiobook I've tried and it turned out to be one of the best / funniest listening experiences, spanning about 7 hours and about three listens. It's him telling funny stories and half truths about his career trajectory and I highly recommend it. The audiobook version of Based on a True Story is the definitive way to enjoy that particular book.

it's this! I am really bad at paying attention, hate podcasts, etc, but I listened to Norm's audiobook in three days bc it was so funny and engrossing

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Audiobooks and podcasts turn household chores, commutes, long road trips, and my mind-numbing repetitive job from mental torture to a tolerable experience.

A good narrator can elevate a book with their performance. I mostly listen to genre trash and a bit of non-fiction, A few good ones I can recall:

Master and Commander narrated by Patrick Tull
The first Aubrey/Martin books came out in 1970 but the author did a lot of historical research and styled his writing to sound like it was written in the time and place it happened. In a lot of other books this would feel gimmicky, but it has enough of an authentic feel to it that it works, and the old English narrator leans into this and does it well. It feels like you're listening to some sort of weird historical artifact of upper-class English culture in 1800, and communicates how alien the past can be.

The Dragon Never Sleeps narrated by Fleet Cooper
Weird 80's dystopian sci-fi with a sort of 40k'ish feel, the narration in this one stuck with me simply because every word of every line is read with such unbelievable intensity and it fits the book.

Rivers of London/Midnight Riot narrated by Kobna Holdbrook-Smith
Urban-Fantasy book about a wizard cop in modern London. It's a fun enough read on it's own but the narration makes it way better because a lot of the characters are West-African and he completely nails the accents.

Blast of Confetti posted:

iirc audible is garbage because you can only have one book a month or some poo poo like that

Its fine, you pay a variable subscription which gives you a variable number of credits per month which works out to like $10-15 per credit which you can then spend at the rate of 1 credit per book. If you run out of credits you can then buy them at 30% off retail price, or just buy more credits at your subscription rate. As retail price for audio-books is often like $30-60 it works out pretty well. You keep access to your books regardless of if you're paying the subscription, and you can stream them on pc or mobile and it auto-syncs your positions. The one trap is you're limited to storing like 5 credits or something so if you subscribe and don't use it they just pocket your money.

OtherworldlyInvader fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 8, 2018

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Its fine, you pay a variable subscription which gives you a variable number of credits per month which works out to like $10-15 per credit which you can then spend at the rate of 1 credit per book. If you run out of credits you can then buy them at 30% off retail price, or just buy more credits at your subscription rate. As retail price for audio-books is often like $30-60 it works out pretty well. You keep access to your books regardless of if you're paying the subscription, and you can stream them on pc or mobile and it auto-syncs your positions. The one trap is you're limited to storing like 5 credits or something so if you subscribe and don't use it they just pocket your money.

netflix and hulu have spoiled me and if i don't have unlimited access for ~$10-15 then I'm not interested

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

any book you would be interested to actually read with your eyes is a good audiobook. i'm sorry are you illiterate? what is this thread op?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hell Yeah posted:

any book you would be interested to actually read with your eyes is a good audiobook. i'm sorry are you illiterate? what is this thread op?

what if the audiobook was narrated by lena dunham while she eats a bucket of fried chicken

• Locked thread