Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
https://steamcommunity.com/id/GuavaMoment if you like seeing "GuavaMoment" at the top of your leaderboards on all Zachtronics games, over and over.

I'm super excited to eventually open my secret folders and play weird Russian Solitaire! Also Exapunks eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

Lordy this is a fun one.
If you have a blank line on your leaderboards, that's me. Zach's games don't like my fullwidth-character name. Scaevolus and Jabor have been kicking my rear end though.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
So a few tips for optimizing your code:

Drop and Halt aren't necessary - they happen when you run out of instructions.

Reading M & F registers multiple times in a single operand works just fine so
'ADDI F F X ' reads 2 values from the file and stores in X

Also you can eliminate many COPY instructions by using the output register in artihmetic operations immediately.

Use the T register, it's a regular register for copying and artithmetic operations, but it gets nuked by TEST
instructions. So you can safely store a second piece of data if you don't need to do a test.
Counting down to zero can be done directly in the T register without actually calling Test

so you can replace
MARK LOOP
SUBI X 1 X
TEST X = 0
FJMP LOOP

With
MARK LOOP
SUBI T 1 T
TJMP LOOP

Game seems pretty easy so far.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

illectro posted:

Game seems pretty easy so far.

Come back after you've written a highway sign.

So it appears that if multiple EXA try to write to the same hardware register at the same time... it reads from them in a completely random order! Hooray!

Man I want to be killing Great Jagras right now.

E: I have most of you guys from Opus Magnum, but: https://steamcommunity.com/id/MysticMongol/

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 9, 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Has anyone figured out what the Activity metric actually measures? I'm not particularly clear on it.

Also my leaderboards are pretty barren (and some of the levels don't even have histograms yet!), you folks need to catch up.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Oh man, the last page of zine 2 <3

I don't really understand what the point is of the activity histogram. The tooltip explains it's the count of links + kills your EXAs execute, but why those two specifically? Maybe I'm missing something but it feels kind of arbitrary.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Jabor posted:

Has anyone figured out what the Activity metric actually measures? I'm not particularly clear on it.

Also my leaderboards are pretty barren (and some of the levels don't even have histograms yet!), you folks need to catch up.

Activity increments each time you LINK out of a server to another server.

Jabor posted:

Well, why don't you catch up to my scores on the moron babby levels while I roll my face back and forth against this highway sign screaming.

What does #INVS do? Does it help? Argh I'm so rustled.

edit: #INVS is inverse, it does not help at all.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 9, 2018

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I am disappointed that, because you have you leave no trace, you can't kill the lights / crank the oven on the pizza place and start a fire. I want to go maximum cyberpunk dystopia, dammit!

(Game is great, thanks Zachtronics!)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Oh, so you're just supposed to write everything in one exa that splits at the destination, instead of having two? (saving activity at the cost of cycles, and code organization). I guess I'll have to go back and duplicate + tweak my older solutions in order to minmax the leaderboards.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Jabor posted:

Oh, so you're just supposed to write everything in one exa that splits at the destination, instead of having two? (saving activity at the cost of cycles, and code organization). I guess I'll have to go back and duplicate + tweak my older solutions in order to minmax the leaderboards.

Yeah, Activity is honestly a pretty simple score to maximize. At this point in the game, anyway.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Come back after you've written a highway sign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC3sB6EH5LA&t=1075s

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

I fell to temptation and watched about fifteen seconds of this, which was enough. I had been trying to store row and column separately, which wasn't going well. Math! Thank you.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
game good so far

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Mystic Mongol posted:

I fell to temptation and watched about fifteen seconds of this, which was enough. I had been trying to store row and column separately, which wasn't going well. Math! Thank you.

I felt clever for realizing the div/mod for calculating row/column myself, but my score is still crap compared with the other goons I have added.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Cycle optimization is gonna be hairy in this one, at least for now. Only looking at the worst case, combined no code size limitations makes for a lot of room for hardcoding. Even something as simple as tutorial 4 begs for bizarre solutions based on what the input set is.

EDIT: okay there are code size limitations, didn't see that, phew. Leaving this here as a testament to my ignorance and/or to inform others.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 10, 2018

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Samopsa posted:

Scott Manley (also a goon!) has a video of the opening part up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb5SsFWZAto
Incredibly grateful for this. Opus Magnum is the only Zachtronics game I have any experience with, and while I loved that game, all their coding sims looked pretty intimidating to move on to. Looks like this one eases you in, though without reading the zines I'm still a bit lost. I'm assuming more is explained within.

Tentatively wishlisted, may buy later.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

This game is very zen.

To truly hack the planet, one must first hack oneself.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Looks like "KILL" counts as an Activity. Unfortunate, that.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Mystic Mongol posted:

I stored them separately. Every time you see some poo poo way out to the right on the score charts, it's me.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/BisonMD/

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

EDIT: okay there are code size limitations, didn't see that, phew. Leaving this here as a testament to my ignorance and/or to inform others.

Mostly there are code size limitations. Unknown Server One, for example, loans itself to ignoring recursion and just doing dumb poo poo instead.

Sokani posted:

I stored them separately. Every time you see some poo poo way out to the right on the score charts, it's me.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/BisonMD/

What, how!?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
The protagonist is awful, but Ember is really growing on me.

"Hack this road sign so it says, "WAKE UP SHEEPLE" in this exact format."

"Yeah, OK."

"That's weird. Why haven't the Sheeple woken up? I gave them very clear instructions!"

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Even something as simple as tutorial 4 begs for bizarre solutions based on what the input set is.

N is always greater than 8!

And oh look, it's our first sighting of a goddamned wizard, Mr. 142 cycles from YOSPOS. :argh: I don't know how much more bizarre you can want, you seem to have it all.

GuavaMoment fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 10, 2018

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

One nice thing you can enable in the options is an overall top percentile, just to see how you and all your friends stack up against the literal best. Doesn't give you a name, just a number.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Stored one in X, and one in a file I made. This leaves T open for testing. Files make great registers because you get to add seek -1 after every operation to stay on target, doubling the required instructions without having to think about it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
One trick I like, if you're not using global communication for anything else, is use an exa to just store values. It can just sit there reading from m and then writing it back out in a loop, and one of your other exas can just copy something into m and read it back out later on. The only caveat is something else will need to come along and kill your buffer exa at the end of the program.

You can also use the node-local m register, and also a bunch of problems have "extra" nodes that aren't used for the puzzle but that you could stick some exas in if you really wanted...

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
Here we go again

http://steamcommunity.com/id/fezball/

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
i wish zachtronic-like leaderboards let you downgrade a score category if you want. Yes, my new solution for workhouse is 200 cycles faster than my first try, but I used 2 extra instructions, let me update my size score to 32 not 30.

also:

I'm actually surprised at those cycle counts for the mail editing problem

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
13 hours later, and I've finished the game. But looking back at other people's scores, my code is definitely not optimized. (And I "cheated" by not actually making a game or creating a custom puzzle)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

GuavaMoment posted:

N is always greater than 8!

And oh look, it's our first sighting of a goddamned wizard, Mr. 142 cycles from YOSPOS. :argh: I don't know how much more bizarre you can want, you seem to have it all.
:hai:

(Someone on my list has 140...I must train harder)

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
The card game is a lot harder than the normal puzzles :sweatdrop:

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Are you ready for a WHITE-KNUCKLE adventure in INFINITE SPACE?

..... IN 3-D ???

Move with d-pad, fire with X.

In Space, No One Can Hear You Scream (From a Splitting Migraine)

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I'm probably feel stupid for asking, but what's where the hell do I find the Redshift dev password?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Lichtenstein posted:

I'm probably feel stupid for asking, but what's where the hell do I find the Redshift dev password?

You have to brute force it.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Lichtenstein posted:

The 3 digit number you have to brute force. The longer RDK0014... etc number is in one of the files in the locked area.

Which leads to a minor complaint: the contents of locked areas are invisible until they're unlocked, even if the contents are fixed and need to be hardcoded, such as the id for the file holding the dev id. Unless I missed something the only real option is to develop a partial solution that can unlock the locked area, get the info you need, then finish coding.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I spent too much time transcribing this guys notes into the game dev system: https://gist.github.com/CodyJung/2315618

The notes seem to be midi note numbers, so it's easy possible to find stuff already written.

Hopefully the game file doesn't get mangled by the upload here.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Wow I love that the redshift game data is encoded in a png.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Goddamn, the hacker battle system is more fun than it has any right to be. I haven't even messed with the game console yet because I was obsessed with writing an EXA that would beat threedotonefour. Not to mention I'm supposed to be, you know, actually working.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Mystic Mongol posted:

Yeah, Activity is honestly a pretty simple score to maximize. At this point in the game, anyway.

I am at work and I can’t check, does replicating increase the total size by the EXA being replicated?

I don’t think I will be ever good at minimizing activity. My inner OO developer abhors seeing everything done in one function.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I feel like some of my hacker battle solutions are using gimmicks that are easily beaten if you watch, but for now they are winning :boom:
https://steamcommunity.com/id/daxlerod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Unlucky7 posted:

I am at work and I can’t check, does replicating increase the total size by the EXA being replicated?

Nope. Size refers only to code written at the start of the simulation.

The second manual has repetition directives, but the "compiled" code is what's counted for the size. Thus, the small number of directive lines needed to repeat one instruction 100 times will still act as 100 lines for the purpose of total size.