Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«69 »
flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

how about some actual thread content that isn't just sad laws and yelling??

Since I know we all had to take pics anyway how about we post up some of our favoritest registered assault weapons!! I'll start, judiciously choosing the long shots so hopefully my name and serial numbers aren't visible lol

Century Inch FAL (Australian)

PRI/Stag Mk. 12 Mod 0 Clone

AWO Galil ARM (South American Parts Kit)

These first three are the only rifles I owned prior to bullet button ban passing. In reaction to that I went on a spending spree and picked up the rest. Thanks California!!!!

Vector V93

FN SCAR 16 FDE

Molot VEPR Super in .223

PSA PA-10 in 6.5cm

Daniel Defense/AP M4A1

80%/Colt M16 Clone

80%/Polish AKMS

The AR-15 was fun and easy to build, the AK was very much not. Glad I did them tho just to have the experience. A fair number of those guns have changed configurations or had new optics put on since I took these pics. Still need to get the 80% guns refinished at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Beautiful collection
love that molot vepr.

I'll take pictures once I get my paperwork back (As I've mentioned before, I only started 2-3 years ago). But tbh, I don't have much of anything visually interesting. I mean, I do have a JP-15, and that shoots great, but I didn't glam it up when I ordered it. The rest are a mish mash of parts to meet the build deadline (and a Yugo AK, because ). In the future though, budget willing... I'll be putting different caliber uppers on the mish mash ones. I want to build a .458 SOCOM because but then I'd need to get into reloading.

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

Nice gats. All I registered were a bunch of AR's. i gimped everything else, moved it out of state or it wasn;t a target of the ban to begin with.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

flightless greeb posted:

how about some actual thread content that isn't just sad laws and yelling??

Since I know we all had to take pics anyway how about we post up some of our favoritest registered assault weapons!! I'll start, judiciously choosing the long shots so hopefully my name and serial numbers aren't visible lol

Here's my complete collection of registered assault weapons:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

For real though, those are some nice gats. How annoying was finding a maglock for the non-ARs?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

For real though, those are some nice gats. How annoying was finding a maglock for the non-ARs?

Don't ask don't tell bruh

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Thanks yall!

The SCAR and the Vector were both in CA already when I bought them so they both had BBs to begin with. The galil uses and AK BB and so does the Super VEPR (and the AK lol) altho the VEPR was a bit of a challenge. I got mishaco to ship it to me like a month before the deadline after he very kindly had his gunsmith in AR test proof and install an AK BB there. Idk if anyone else has done that since afaik no one ever sold Super VEPRs with bullet buttons to CA residents. The FAL I've owned since like 2012 and was able to find a BB for it way back when. Its janky but it works. Weirdly, the V93 still has a vestigial paddle release that doesn't do anything. If you register one you have to let the DoJ know that or they yell at you lol

The Galil also folds and has a barrel extension on it to make that legal. I had to take a pic of it w/ a measuring tape to satisfy the DoJ which was only slightly nerve-wracking.

Registration was an easy choice for me bc I'm like 95% sure I'm going to spend the rest of my life in the state. That and I've been using BB guns since like 2007 so they don't really bother me at all. Featureless options are becoming neater tho - I mean I doubt I'd ever do an AR in featureless since I think 4 is probably enough, esp with interchangeable uppers. But I still kinda want an AK-74 clone and I think a fin on that kind of thing might work. Provided the giant brake on the end isn't secretly a flash hider ofc

The day I transferred my Super VEPR, like two weeks before the deadline, my dealer offered me a Tavor X95 at cost, since he had an extra one and knew it wasn't going to sell basically. I don't like bull-pups and I prefer the original Tavor to the X95 BUT if it had been the FDE one I probably still would have bought it lol - I still kick myself over not going for it, despite the fact that if I lived anywhere else I'd have 0 desire to own one lol

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

If I'd had awesome poo poo like that I'd have registered it too.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

C&R + CoE guide added (with some minor edits and restructuring). Thanks flightless greeb
(If I messed up anything on it, let me know. I should get some sleep heh.)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

What was the dealer cost for the X95? I picked up a new ODG SAR about 4 mo before the deadline.

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

Yeah I have zero interest in a Tavor but I would have bought one at cost for sure. Just for the hell of it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

If I had a time machine I would go to the future about 10 years and pick up a Nth gen MDR and then take it back to 2016. Although in hindsight/foresight(?) there would probably be lots of other cool poo poo 10 years from now.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Shaocaholica posted:

What was the dealer cost for the X95? I picked up a new ODG SAR about 4 mo before the deadline.

It was either 1700 or 1900 iirc, so still not like cheap. Then again whenever I open my spreadsheet and notice how much I spent on that SCAR, I cringe big time.

So, to get back to crying a little, I think we can all agree there's a reasonable change detachable mag center-fire semi auto rifles will be banned entirely in the next 2-4 years. (newsom, tried it already and it almost worked, etc.)

If you have the funds, presumably the time to buy those guns is now - before the legislation is even proposed and national gun prices are still super normal. What does everyone have on their list?

I know I want
1) that AK74 i mentioned above with a grip fin, if possible (would love an Arsenal but somehow thats one of the like 15 guns that are banned by name lol)

2) H&K SL-6 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_SL6 or SL7. The SL6 is .223 and the SL7 is .308. They're both roller lock blowback like the G3 but have sleek 70s euro hunting lines that I think look really good. Rare which is cool points to me. The SL6 does have some stupid rear end twist rate like 1:12 or something since its from the 70s but whatever, just shoot 55gr. Annoyingly they seem to always go for around $2k now and their accessories are INSANE. Def worth it to win a gun that costs like $800 more rather than trying to buy the 10 round mag and scope mount separately since they're super rare on their own and cost hundreds and hundreds of dollars. Another plus, 10 round mags were the highest cap they made.

3) M1 Carbine. Had one before, sold it. It's the most fun little blaster rifle around. Every USGI M1 Carbine was made during WW2 which I think is pretty cool. They're going for between $800-$1200 now which isn't cheap but isn't really insane considering how fun they are and that they're all actual war time milsurp. I owned a National Postal Meter before so I'm looking for anything that isn't that and also isn't an Inland bc Inlands are the most common and therefor boring lol

4) G/K-43 - Had two of these and sold them both. German semi-auto rifle from WWII, only made for like 3 years. Market price seems to be $1800-2500 which has stayed pretty steady, maybe climbing by $50-100 a year or so. Kinda problematic since they're all nazi guns and one of the manufacturers was even in a concentration camp which is hella gross. 8mm mauser out of a semi-auto isn't cheap either. The design is super unique and interesting tho, the locking lugs aren't attached to the bolt and they retract to allow the bolt to unlock. Plus german so everything is serial'ed. They look good too and their max mag capacity is 10 rounds. Each mag is worth like $300 tho so forget buying extras lol. Oh also you need to spend about $150 on replacement gas system parts if you don't want the receiver to crack inside of 3k rounds.

5) SVT-40 - had one and sold it before too (pattern???) Soviet WWII semi-auto, also 10 round cap. Shoots the cheaper x54R at least. The G43 borrowed a ton of design from this thing and it looks cool as hell. Extremely long, like Mosin long. IDK this first gen of semi-auto rifles is really cool to me, both from a design perspective and for the wartime history of being genuine ww2 battle rifles. The post war stuff, Hakims, FN49s, MAS49s etc just doesn't do it for me as a result.

Would anyone like to talk about guns and post their own future lists??

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

flightless greeb posted:

It was either 1700 or 1900 iirc, so still not like cheap. Then again whenever I open my spreadsheet and notice how much I spent on that SCAR, I cringe big time.

Lol I have a detailed spreadsheet for tracking my AWReg but gently caress having a column with prices in it.

I paid $1700 for my 'new' SAR private party so I think I did pretty well there.

As far as future goes I think I'm pretty covered from the stupid I spent in 2016. Mostly now looking at natively featureless guns. Space gun bolt guns. Currently working on a WWSD SKS. Karl and Ian said they might do something like that for ban states but I think I've got that already in the bag.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 10, 2018

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I have to include prices its the only thing that keeps me in check lol

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

TBH I can't think of a better natively featureless semi auto other than the SKS. Garands are too heavy and chambering too buku. Same for M1As. Mini14s and Mini30s take detachable mags but would be preferable to have a cool low profile integral mag like an SKS.

Maybe someone will make something like that to adapt to new laws?

There's also the Keltec RDB-C

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YANy9PAaR0k

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

The SKS is uniquely suited for CA its true. I just hate them despite having owned like 3-5. Their stocks are too short and x39 is just a dumb round to me lol, plus I feel like they look gross. I do like M1As tho. I have one already or it'd be on my list. For some reason I could never dredge up a care for the Mini-14 however. ARs are just like so clearly superior, even a featureless AR imo.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

flightless greeb posted:

The SKS is uniquely suited for CA its true. I just hate them despite having owned like 3-5. Their stocks are too short and x39 is just a dumb round to me lol, plus I feel like they look gross. I do like M1As tho. I have one already or it'd be on my list. For some reason I could never dredge up a care for the Mini-14 however. ARs are just like so clearly superior, even a featureless AR imo.

Bubba can't hear you.

Not mine but close. I won't have irons and will be attaching an absolute co-witness height mount for a pistol dot.

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

Heads up, Greeb, if you're feeling adventurous, there's an AZ FFL who will ship Arsenal SLR's into CA. Allegedly he has the go-ahead from CA DOJ. I guess the reasoning is that the language banning "series" rifles was actually thrown out in 2004. Same legal reasoning that got us OLL's I guess. if you can find someone in Nor Cal who'll DROS one, I'd love to know about it.

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

My list isn't anywhere near as exotic or sexy as any of those, but I do feel like I should buy an AR-type rifle before the end of the year and Turners actually has a decent sale on neutered Ruger AR-556's right now so I'm tempted to give that a go.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

flightless greeb posted:

So, to get back to crying a little, I think we can all agree there's a reasonable change detachable mag center-fire semi auto rifles will be banned entirely in the next 2-4 years. (newsom, tried it already and it almost worked, etc.)

If you have the funds, presumably the time to buy those guns is now - before the legislation is even proposed and national gun prices are still super normal. What does everyone have on their list?

As mentioned, I want a SKS. But I want a Yugo SKS... because . That said, I have to get custom work done on it to remove the GRENADE LAUNCHER spigot from the end (Really CA DoJ where am I going to get these rifle grenades?). I've seen those group buys done on Calguns also. That kind of knocks the authenticity but whatever. Related to that, will need to do a little more digging on yugo Tokarevs and see if I can convince a dealer to transfer (There's a list referencing serial numbers on various forums and sites but it's not sourced at all. I keep seeing some mention that Zastava's factory was bombed and the records were lost.).

As far as more semi-auto rifles.. I'm not sure what my finances can really bear. I'd love to pick up a garand if possible but they're fairly pricey. And tbh, I haven't thought too far ahead beyond my ARs since I haven't really kitted out any of them except for the JP-15.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

If it makes you feel any worse I bubba’d up a cherry all matching SN Yugo for my WWSD project. I still have the cut off front end with grenade sight and bayonet if you want a souvenir.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'll keep that offer in mind, thanks.

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

BeAuMaN posted:

As mentioned, I want a SKS. But I want a Yugo SKS... because . That said, I have to get custom work done on it to remove the GRENADE LAUNCHER spigot from the end (Really CA DoJ where am I going to get these rifle grenades?). I've seen those group buys done on Calguns also. That kind of knocks the authenticity but whatever. Related to that, will need to do a little more digging on yugo Tokarevs and see if I can convince a dealer to transfer (There's a list referencing serial numbers on various forums and sites but it's not sourced at all. I keep seeing some mention that Zastava's factory was bombed and the records were lost.).

As far as more semi-auto rifles.. I'm not sure what my finances can really bear. I'd love to pick up a garand if possible but they're fairly pricey. And tbh, I haven't thought too far ahead beyond my ARs since I haven't really kitted out any of them except for the JP-15.

Not-so-funny Zastava SKS story: a couple years ago we were interviewing a guy and he did really well in the interviews, but got really dejected when we brought up that the next step would be a background check.

Asked him if there was anything he wanted to tell us, and he told us that we would probably see a felony weapons charge. Both the other interviewing manager and me are gun guys so we asked him for details.

He explained that years ago, the police were at his house talking with his wife and kid regarding a problem at the kid's school, while he was heading back from work to meet them. One of the officers there saw their gun safe in the living room and asked the wife if he could look inside and she obliged by opening it up. They found an Zastava SKS with the GRENADE LAUNCHER and the moment he walked through the door they arrested him for felony possession of a destructive device, which he was later convicted of.

He was really grateful when we offered him a job and I was really pissed off at him when I had to fire him about a year later for attendance related issues.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I Demand Food posted:

Not-so-funny Zastava SKS story: a couple years ago we were interviewing a guy and he did really well in the interviews, but got really dejected when we brought up that the next step would be a background check.

Asked him if there was anything he wanted to tell us, and he told us that we would probably see a felony weapons charge. Both the other interviewing manager and me are gun guys so we asked him for details.

He explained that years ago, the police were at his house talking with his wife and kid regarding a problem at the kid's school, while he was heading back from work to meet them. One of the officers there saw their gun safe in the living room and asked the wife if he could look inside and she obliged by opening it up. They found an Zastava SKS with the GRENADE LAUNCHER and the moment he walked through the door they arrested him for felony possession of a destructive device, which he was later convicted of.

He was really grateful when we offered him a job and I was really pissed off at him when I had to fire him about a year later for attendance related issues.

What the actual gently caress? Where (roughly) did this guy live? What year was this?

I mean I know the CA DoJ are full of a bunch of fuckers, and you might find some generally gun-unfriendly police in like San Francisco area or whatever, but legit this officer was looking for GRENADE LAUNCHER spigots on Yugo SKSes? Like it wasn't even a "Let's find some charge to stick this guy with... let's ask DoJ about these guns he has" but legit "I know what that is... it's a DESTRUCTIVE DEVICE. BOOK HIM DANNO!"

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 10, 2018

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Story sounds sketchy. That a cop would even ask to see what’s in the safe and that he kept an obvious gun safe within plain view of his front door. Plus a gun unfriendly cop would know what a SKS grenade launcher looks like.

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

BeAuMaN posted:

What the actual gently caress? Where (roughly) did this guy live? What year was this?

I mean I know the CA DoJ are full of a bunch of fuckers, and you might find some generally gun-unfriendly police in like San Francisco area or whatever, but legit this officer was looking for GRENADE LAUNCHER spigots on Yugo SKSes? Like it wasn't even a "Let's find some charge to stick this guy with... let's ask DoJ about these guns he has" but legit "I know what that is... it's a DESTRUCTIVE DEVICE. BOOK HIM!"

Los Angeles, so it was either LAPD or LASD. Early 2010's.

He apparently spent a few months in jail, had to pay a fine, and got probation for a couple of years.

The SKS was declared a "nuisance" and destroyed.

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

BeAuMaN posted:

Brah, the lowest grade (field? service?) Garands are like 650 or 695 from the CMP. I'm thinking about getting another one to rechamber in 308.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Shaocaholica posted:

Story sounds sketchy. That a cop would even ask to see what’s in the safe and that he kept an obvious gun safe within plain view of his front door. Plus a gun unfriendly cop would know what a SKS grenade launcher looks like.

I Demand Food posted:

Los Angeles, so it was either LAPD or LASD. Early 2010's.

He apparently spent a few months in jail, had to pay a fine, and got probation for a couple of years.

The SKS was declared a "nuisance" and destroyed.

Yeah sounds a bit sketchy for 2010-ish, as I imagine they haven't been on the "lookout" for Yugo SKSes for a while. Though it is LAPD so who knows. Could be he encountered the street cop that is super anti-gun and knows all about everything that's illegal (Maybe he was gunning (heh) to sign up with DoJ special detail or whatever the hell they're called).

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

CA protip 1: Don't keep your guns or gun containers or gun paraphernalia or gun publications within plain sight of your residence or vehicle.

CA protip 2: A gun safe might keep the thieves out but not peoples curiosity. Use gun containers that don't look like gun safes or disguise/hide your gun safe.

One of these has a lot of cool guns. The other looks like a gun safe.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 10, 2018

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

BeAuMaN posted:

Yeah sounds a bit sketchy for 2010-ish, as I imagine they haven't been on the "lookout" for Yugo SKSes for a while. Though it is LAPD so who knows. Could be he encountered the street cop that is super anti-gun and knows all about everything that's illegal (Maybe he was gunning (heh) to sign up with DoJ special detail or whatever the hell they're called).

I personally saw the background check report we ran and some court documents having to do with the disposition of the case that he provided during his hiring process and while what I saw didn't have the same level of detail as his story, they didn't contradict it. In particular, the court documents specifically referred to the firearm being declared a nuisance and destroyed and his conviction was for the possession of a destructive device, so I'm inclined to believe it more or less as he told it.

I've retold the story often as an example of how stupid and draconian our gun laws are, particularly as it didn't come from a friend's cousin's nephew's roommate or somesuch.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

What the heck that is nuts indeed. I personally have had a close brush with the law regarding possession of an assault weapon altho obviously it didn't end up impacting my right to arm bears. PM if you wanna know more i guess. Anyway keep an eye out for Yugo M59 SKSs which didn't have grenade launchers to begin with (The M59/66 is the GL one iirc). That was my first SKS and I think my first semi-auto rifle, got it from Turners in LA in like 2006 for $179 lol. Impulse buy while I was there to pick up a 10/22 they had on sale.

What other features does an M59/66 even have besides the GL? No detachable mag or pistol grip or flash hider or shoulder thingy that goes up right?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

I'm sure Mishaco can have his gunsmith modify a M59 to be CA compliant if you want to use him as a middle man.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Greeb, what did you spend on your SCAR if you dont mind me asking? I’d love to have one.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Shaocaholica posted:

CA protip 1: Don't keep your guns or gun containers or gun paraphernalia or gun publications within plain sight of your residence or vehicle.

CA protip 2: A gun safe might keep the thieves out but not peoples curiosity. Use gun containers that don't look like gun safes or disguise/hide your gun safe.

One of these has a lot of cool guns. The other looks like a gun safe.

A friend of mine in Texas does this. He has a bunch of scrap metal and a bag of pennies stuffed into 2 different model stack-ons that aren't secured to anything. Ideal being the thieves could grab one of the stacks on and run.

He had his real safes/boxes built into normal looking furniture.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Also, if I was in another state, I'd totally get one of those semi-auto PPS-43 knock offs. I saw Ian's video on it sometime back and yeah wow they did a lot with sheet metal there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGGguFuFln4

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Greeb, what did you spend on your SCAR if you dont mind me asking? I’d love to have one.

Thirty five hundred dollars!!! That was at the height of the panic as people were scrambling to get the last of the BB guns done. If you can figure out a way to make one featureless im sure they're cheaper now.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

I recall lots of SCAR flipping in the final weeks.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

I think the only thing on my list is a M1A or 805 BREN. And I doubt I'd be able to save the money for either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Grip fin pricey 805? Pass.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 11, 2018

«69 »