Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«69 »
Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

ArmyGroup303 posted:

In slightly more positive news, in 2020, what would better to do for a featureless AR: buy one or build one? (Might crosspost with the AR megathread.)

If I was to build, I was trying to go for a simple, lighter weight build: Faxon gunner barrel, Aero lower, freefloat tube, ALG trigger, Thordsen stock (edit: now thinking about the adjustable length of pull on the Gen 3 is more important than the lighter weight of the Gen 2).

I would give a serious look at RifleGear's compliant section if you end up buying. They do the work of making it unambiguously legal to import and buy, which a lot of FFLs won't do for legal liability reasons.

I've rolled my own AR 15 a bunch of times now, and while I feel like I've learned a lot from doing it, I sometimes find myself wishing I had just bought a good rifle from a reliable manufacturer and called it done. I'm seriously eyeing the FN-15 tactical for that reason. If you end up selling it later, which is one of the benefits of featureless, the FN rifle will hold some value, while a homemade will not.

In terms of compliance solutions, by far the most usable I've tried is Resurgent Arms' grip, endplate, & extended safety, and the MFT compliance stock. It's not as heavy as the Thordsens, you can put it on an A5 tube, and that grip setup gives up the least ergonomically, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

Hrm. I might try swapping out my endplate for that one.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

BeAuMaN posted:

Huh... those Gen III Thordsens don't look bad.

Honestly haven't looked at what out-of-the-box featureless ARs cost but in the past it was typically cheaper to build your own by getting a lower and ordering everything else. Often talked about in the featureless AR is also Fightlite SCR lower but that's a lotta bucks.

Definitely check in the AR-15 thread though.

God those SCR prices are ridiculous. I paid $650 for a complete SCR back in like 2015? The LGS had it for 6 months and I was the first person to look at it for more than 10 seconds so they sold it at their cost.

I've seen used ones on calguns for 700-900ish, it could be worth watching the forums for one.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Rontalvos posted:

God those SCR prices are ridiculous. I paid $650 for a complete SCR back in like 2015? The LGS had it for 6 months and I was the first person to look at it for more than 10 seconds so they sold it at their cost.

I've seen used ones on calguns for 700-900ish, it could be worth watching the forums for one.

Well yeah. No one wanted one in 2015.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Rontalvos posted:

How's your SCR been to you? You got the Gen 1 or the Gen 2?

I considered the SCR, but its proprietary bolt carrier from a company that has a rep for bad CSR left me with less confidence about it.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

flightless greeb posted:

I guess they're also pushing to ban 80%s and "Other" firearms which I think right now is mainly that Franklin Armory AR pistol?

You're talking about the budget thread? Re: 80%: The law (precursor parts background check copy-cat of ammo background check) already passed previously but only regulates unfinished receivers/frames atm. That funding is likely going to go into setting that up.
And yeah, Other Firearms thing is at the Franklin Armory Title 1 is one of those "not a rifle, shotgun, pistol" sort of things. Not sure if CA DoJ is planning on trying to ban via regulation or planning to get someone to pass a law soon, but there will probably be grandfathering/registration based on the funding amount.

For those not aware, all this comes from the CA Budget thread on calguns.
Quoting CA DoJ Budget Items:

quote:

BUREAU OF FIREARMS The Bureau of Firearms regulates and enforces the manufacture, sale, ownership, safety training, and transfer of firearms. In recent years, there have been several laws enacted that affect the purchasing and ownership of a firearm in California, thereby increasing the Bureau’s workload. The May Revision continues the Administration’s commitment to strengthen gun violence protections by including the following significant investments:

• Chapter 730, Statutes of 2019 (AB 879)—$5.9 million General Fund in 2020-21 and $8.3 million in 2021-22 to regulate and track the sale of firearm precursor parts. This represents an increase of $928,000 in 2020-21 and $3.3 million in 2021-22 from the Governor’s Budget due to updated implementation costs. AB 879 requires the sale of firearm precursor parts to be conducted by or processed through a licensed firearm precursor part vendor beginning July 1, 2024. Precursor parts can be used to manufacture “ghost guns” that are untraceable due to a lack of serial numbers or identifying markers. Given the risk that such guns present to public safety, the May Revision includes resources to accelerate the implementation of these requirements to July 1, 2022.

• Firearms Information Technology Modernization—$2.4 million Dealers’ Record of Sale (DROS) Special Account to begin the planning and analysis phase of combining and modernizing the existing firearms tracking systems. DOJ currently tracks firearms using 11 information technology systems that are antiquated, costly to update, and
inefficient at gathering data. New firearms policies and reporting requirements are difficult to implement given the disconnected structure of these systems.
Modernizing these systems will enable DOJ to respond to changing business needs and legislative mandates efficiently and in a cost-effective manner.

• Chapter 737, Statutes of 2019 (SB 61)—$2.1 million DROS Special Account in 2020-21, $1 million in 2021-22, and $379,000 annually thereafter to implement and enforce the provisions of SB 61 that prohibit the sale of semiautomatic centerfire rifles to any person under 21 years of age, except a law enforcement officer or active duty member of the Armed Forces, and prohibit a person from making an application to purchase more than one semiautomatic centerfire rifle in any 30-day period. This
represents a reduction of $379,000 in 2020-21 and $379,000 in 2021-22 to remove limited-term legal positions included in the Governor’s Budget proposal.

• Chapter 738, Statutes of 2019 (SB 376)—$981,000 DROS Special Account in 2020-21, $306,000 in 2021-22, and $232,000 annually thereafter to track and report annual firearms sales, loans, and transfers to enforce the provision under SB 376 that Version number CQ2DDvMG2BB5g7vg PUBLIC SAFETY
MAY REVISION — 2020-21 93 reduces the threshold for which a manufacturer’s license is required from 100 firearms manufactured annually to 50.

• “Other” Firearm Registration—$128,000 DROS Special Account in 2020-21 and $862,000 in 2021-22 to close regulatory loopholes for assault weapons that are not currently defined as a rifle, pistol, or shotgun. This proposal enables DOJ to appropriately define and regulate such weapons.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

ArmyGroup303 posted:

How's your SCR been to you? You got the Gen 1 or the Gen 2?

I considered the SCR, but its proprietary bolt carrier from a company that has a rep for bad CSR left me with less confidence about it.

Very Gen 1, with the dumb optional bolt catch and 102X serial number. Months after I bought it they offered the free trigger upgrade, had to mail in the reciever for that one, and I also got a set of their micro sights before they became unobtanium.

The gun feels really high quality and I haven't heard of QC issues except for the MCR (I think? Or the Shrike? Whatever is the belt fed one?) In a few thousand rounds I can't ever remember any malfunctions at all with the SCR. I stopped bringing my bullet buttoned ARs to the range with me for a few years and never missed them.

The singular complaint I have is that the stock comb makes it impossible to use AR height sights, scopes, etc, as they nearly required a chin weld to use. I had an aimpoint m3 on it for a while and the lowest single 30mm ring Primary Arms carried was perfect.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Could you use something like a Bradley cheek rest on it to fix that?

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

flightless greeb posted:

Could you use something like a Bradley cheek rest on it to fix that?

The stock is a standard Remington 1187 style hollow synthetic stock, tons of people on Arfcom have customized the stock with cheek rests and such. Some 870 stocks will work if you drill out a hole for the FAL/shotgun style angled buffer tube inside. Pictured here: https://images.app.goo.gl/oKgw6zBEHjZoWwuS7

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

There are plenty of options for improving the cheek rest on a SCR, the real dealbreaker is the mag release.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

Dead Reckoning posted:

There are plenty of options for improving the cheek rest on a SCR, the real dealbreaker is the mag release.

I put an ambi release on, norgon works fine, Troy works if you drive out the roll pin and flip the lever upside down. I have a KAC I believe on mine, the bigger button on the right makes it easier and the left side is placed to hit it with your thumb as you grab the empty mag to remove it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

And if you don't want to pay Norgon's frankly extortionate pricing, there are other companies making that style of mag release now that the patent has expired.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

All 10 gun cases at SCOTUS were relisted (neither granted nor denied). Check back next week.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Yep, butts.

Some more color from scotusblog:

quote:

The gun rights cases have all been on hold, some for over a year, presumably until the court issued its decision in the challenge to New York City’s ban on the transport of handguns outside the city. The justices dismissed that case as moot at the end of April, and a few hours later the court had distributed the 10 petitions for consideration at the justices’ May 1 conference. The justices normally only grant review after they have considered a petition at two consecutive conferences, so it was no surprise that they did not act on the petitions when they issued orders on May 4. There’s no way to know whether the justices are still trying to choose among the petitions, have not yet decided what to do or have some other reason for waiting to act on the petitions.

https://www.scotusblog.com/2020/05/...13/#more-293944

They also (IIUC) mooted a case where a guy sued that the federal ban on ever owning guns for the rest of you're life if you've ever once been involuntarily committed is unconstitutional (Beers v. Barr). It's mooted because the guy was able to get his gun somehow in the meantime I guess? But I wonder how.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

frunksock posted:

Yep, butts.

Some more color from scotusblog:

https://www.scotusblog.com/2020/05/...13/#more-293944

They also (IIUC) mooted a case where a guy sued that the federal ban on ever owning guns for the rest of you're life if you've ever once been involuntarily committed is unconstitutional (Beers v. Barr). It's mooted because the guy was able to get his gun somehow in the meantime I guess? But I wonder how.

Skimming the last reply by the petitioner (and some of the background); Beers is from Pennsylvania; Pennsylvania's program for restoration of rights was certified by ATF 11 days after the 3rd circuit opinion. The ATF has guidelines for state programs on restoring rights with judicial review but there's only 34 states that qualify I think? There's a specific part of US Code that covers all this. Petitioner was arguing that this was evasive since the 3rd circuit opinion created a circuit split and Federal Gov't was trying to prevent the case from being taken by the Supreme Court (I haven't reviewed the full case so I don't know). However, if the penn state system is now certified, then the petitioner has path to rights restoration, which may be why it's moot.

There was a similar case to this in Washington iirc, except the person in question had been committed temporarily 20 years prior iirc, and the person had now become successful, has a spouse and family, has had no issues since, and restored their rights in the Washington court, however ATF didn't recognize the Washington court as certified therefore their rights weren't restored federally, so the person in question didn't have a path to restore their rights.

There used to be a system in the ATF for the federal government to handle rights restorations directly however iirc it was defunded in the... 90s? It was apparently very expensive (because lawyers, courts, and tons of research); I'd have to check the background again. I found this all rather interesting since saying someone has their rights forfeited forever no matter what is pretty .

Edit: Oh wait, I covered this thoroughly in the Legal thread previously. Mai vs United States:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...0#post503313537

In theory Mai v United States would be a good vehicle to address this issue (speaking of course not as a lawyer, but y'know, the case checks a lot of boxes on sympathetic victim).

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 19, 2020

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Thanks Be. Yeah having a clear path to restoration of rights seems like it should be in everyone's interest for the obvious reason of not disincenticizing gun owners from seeking help. I had no idea about that other case, which is pretty interesting. I had to skip a giant chunk of that thread when the VA people were using it the way we use this thread.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Eh, yeah, I would have preferred it to be their own thread (does VA have a thread?) other than a few updates in the legal thread(I do an occasional one in the legal thread sometimes), but it was a pretty big thing so whatever. Ideally we get most states/regions with their own thread as clearing houses for people to learn how not-be-a-felon-while-still-pew-pew as gun control laws continue amp up across the country, and also coordinate locally for local pew-pew or whatever.

Oh, bill that's working its way through... I guess I mentioned it in passing in this list previously:

AB-2532
Originally this was authorizing DAs to file GVROs and some other stuff, but instead the bill has been amended to authorize DAs, county counsels, or city attorneys to petition requesting issuance/renewal of GVRO on behalf of a LEO, and then also represent them in any subsequent court preceding. I mean I didn't like DAs before but now basically any local government's lawyer can handle any petitions and then be the one speaking in GVRO court proceedings... which amounts to legal representation... where is the public defender for the accused? I mean LEOs already have a large advantage in understanding laws compared to most people who might be sitting in the chair of the accused; having a lawyer there instead is a huge legal knowledge advantage.

I can't say I know the reasons for the amendment; maybe it was intended to reign in possible abuse by overly zealous DAs by still requiring a LEO to be the original submitter, or they thought that it would be more advantagous for cities/counties to be able to assign any ol' lawyer on the books to sit in on those cases, but no matter the reason it seems to be fairly unbalanced.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Goddamn what a depressing thread. But, I was able to get into AAA today and pay my registration and change my address so I can buy guns again, hooray.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

That's because, per our awesome OP image, we still haven't dunked The One Law into Supreme Court on Mount Doom:

and Congrats.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Re: Title I firearm ban with Franklin Armory's thing:
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum...d.php?t=1614374

Looks they received confirmation that CA DoJ is definitely planning on banning said firearms, and that they're going to have a legislator introduce a bill. Draft bill is up:
https://esd.dof.ca.gov/dofpublic/pu...ilerBill/pdf/99
Bill introduction for this session is closed, so if we see it this session it will probably be gut-and-amend.

Naturally the stuff about semiauto firearms that are AWs but not a rifle, shotgun, or pistol are in there, but ALSO it changes the language on magazine fed semiauto shotguns to be fixed magazine instead of detachable magazine. This is one of the things that pissed me off because I would have bought a VEPR-12 before the last AWB with SB-880 but then the DOJ regulated that the legislature intended to ban those too and not leave bullet button shotguns running after the purchase period closed.

CA PC 30515 posted:

(a) Notwithstanding Section 30510, “assault weapon” also means any of the following:
(7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine does not have a fixed magazine.

Naturally they aren't opening up registration for said shotguns again.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 21, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

What was the title 1 gimmick? I know the CA7 pistol was allowed because it’s manual action.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Shaocaholica posted:

What was the title 1 gimmick? I know the CA7 pistol was allowed because it’s manual action.

No clue honestly:
https://franklinarmory.com/title-1-deposit/

I haven't read a clear legal explanation of it. I have some guesses but... would rather find something more definitive.

afaik it's kind of an AOW long handgun. It has no stock and as far as ATF/federal definitions goes this kind of puts it in a grey area of "other". Also CA DROS doesn't support "other" transfers (even stripped lowers are transferred, previously, as either pistol or rifle/long gun, but now just rifle/long gun).

Edit: Okay, here we go, this thread:

Federal:
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum...ad.php?t=429106
Has the ATF letter they had basically saying it's not a rifle, pistol, or handgun, it's just a "firearm". They modeled the legal defintion after the Thompson Model 1927-A5, with the forward pistol grip and no stock making it not pistol, and therefore not an AOW. It's just "firearm".

State:
CA PC 17090 defines Rifle for a lot of code statutes that's to be fired from the shoulder.

CA PC 16530 defines "pistol" and similar words as having a barrel less than 16 inches in length, or an interchangeable barrel that can be interchanged for one with 16 inches in length (so the barrel probably isn't interchangeable).

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 21, 2020

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Pillbug

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/202...kground-checks/

Wonder if this is related to Benitez's stay. Certainly convenient timing, and does give CADoJ something to point at and say "the background checks are working" (except for the thousands of people unjustly denied, of course).

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/202...kground-checks/

Wonder if this is related to Benitez's stay. Certainly convenient timing, and does give CADoJ something to point at and say "the background checks are working" (except for the thousands of people unjustly denied, of course).

What are they going to do with 28,000 rounds of ammo? Burn it?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

It's over the last few months. There was a similar piece in the sacramento bee iirc. Probably just Becerra doing press releases to make the system look good.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

is triple AAA open friday/today?

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Herr Tog posted:

My AAA was open on Tuesday this week I think? Might call ahead and talk to a person. Mask was required and they were doing everything outside. Not everything could be handled, but I was able to get an address change in both my new registration and on a new brown card.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

that's a lot of A's

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

Herr Tog posted:

Your AAAAAAAAA?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Don't let Lowtax go down with the ship. Do your part for these dead gay forums.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

tranten posted:

that's a lot of A's

Edit: drat I wasn't the only one thinking that smiley.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Apparently this was from April 1st, 2020. Watch this heartwarming video from the CA DoJ about their agents from the APPS (Armed Prohibited Person System) Team:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AtMaRTE_r4

Comments are turned off.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 22, 2020

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

The first like 8 minutes are them going to wrong addresses and the houses of people that they unknowingly already had in custody. Then *jackpot* they get a Mosin off a guy who was on a psych hold once and immediately start patting themselves on the back about the mass shooting they might have stopped.

Seriously tho I support the idea of violent felons, domestic abusers and so on not being allowed to have guns. And since I support that, I'm also fine with cops enforcing it, so I don't really have a problem with these guys.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah, but it's also non-violent felons and mental health folks too. A 5150 72-hour observation can net you a 5 year ban (per WIC 8103(f)(1)(A)) that's hard to remove without hiring a lawyer and using your one and only attempt to do so. Anyhow it seems like it takes so long for them to work through the backlog that they might as well send out letters letting people know

It's hard to tell how much though because CA DoJ doesn't quantify in that much detail. The video was released as part of a press release along with their annual report for 2019
Here's a graph for active + pending cases (Note: Does not equal 100% because of persons that fall into multiple categories.)

But then again I just really wanted to make fun of their goofy video.

Speaking of petty things...

... is that a framed HOPE poster of her boss?

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Yeah it's tricky. You want to be able to get guns off a guy like the Parkland shooter, but you don't want to disincentivize gun owners from seeking help.

Los Altos announced their plans for reopening, though no date yet:

quote:

Los Altos Rod and Gun Club is making preparations to reopen soon...
Continue to monitor this website for further details and dates.

The will be some changes so that we can be in compliance with state and county orders.

On-line reservations will be required.
Link will be posted when re-open date is set
Bring your reservation receipt with you
2 shooting sessions available
9:00am to 12:00pm
1:00pm to 4:00pm
Closed 12:00pm to 1:00pm
Face mask will be required
Maximum of 2 shooters per station (same household) on all station.
We look forward to seeing our customers again, please bear with us during this transition period.

http://www.losaltosrodandgunclub.com/

It sounds pretty civilized, though I expect they'll sell out of reservations for the next two months like immediately, given the weather and the pent-up demand (including all the people who bought new guns and first guns in March).

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Nice!

Alan Smithee
Jan 3, 2005

has anyone bought lately? How's the stock

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Nope, haven't bought anything lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hope y'all are safe. I'm hoping by black friday I can kick it with some of you.

«69 »