Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«69 »
BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Staying safe inside. Nice to hear from ya Herr Tog. Black Friday I'll probably be passed out from too much overtime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 3, 2005

any shops getting looted near you

I hope they have their FSC papers and REAL EYE DEEEE

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Herr Tog posted:

Hope y'all are safe. I'm hoping by black friday I can kick it with some of you.

It's been a little on the crazy side, but yeah, we're keeping safe here.

By Black Friday, you all mean the big-rear end shopping day after Thanksgiving, or there a new meme I'm not aware of?

gonger
Apr 25, 2006

Quiet! You vegetable!

I live in Oakland, and a gun store in nearby Hayward got cleaned out over the weekend.

I havenít shot guns since I was a kid in the south, but itís starting to seem like this might be a good time to reconnect with my roots. Is it a ridiculous idea trying to acquire one at a time like this, or exactly the right idea?

Alan Smithee
Jan 3, 2005

gonger posted:

I live in Oakland, and a gun store in nearby Hayward got cleaned out over the weekend.

I havenít shot guns since I was a kid in the south, but itís starting to seem like this might be a good time to reconnect with my roots. Is it a ridiculous idea trying to acquire one at a time like this, or exactly the right idea?

yes

Alan Smithee
Jan 3, 2005

Yeah someone I know in San Leandro posted about that. They're freaking out right now

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Most of the gear, most of the time

I'm not super anxious to go to a public range anytime in the coming months

gonger
Apr 25, 2006

Quiet! You vegetable!

Thoughts on the Ruger PC9 as an alternative to the 10/22 for my training wheels? Seemed to check a lot of the same boxes while being more viable for defense. Probably 20 years since I last shot anything so Iím looking for something to relearn the fundamentals

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Alan Smithee posted:

any shops getting looted near you

I hope they have their FSC papers and REAL EYE DEEEE
I'm in the Central Valley so things haven't been going nuts yet.

gonger posted:

I haven’t shot guns since I was a kid in the south, but it’s starting to seem like this might be a good time to reconnect with my roots. Is it a ridiculous idea trying to acquire one at a time like this, or exactly the right idea?
Couldn't say; that's for you to decide. I will say it will be more difficult to acquire a firearm right now, and it may be more expensive (though I'm not sure when firearm prices will recover). However, if you do fear for your life (if that's the reason you're purchasing a firearm), then maybe some additional hassle and expense doesn't matter all that much.

There was a supply issue with firearms and ammo (depending on what you wanted) as well as higher prices due to everyone freaking out about Covid and buying out a bunch of guns and ammo. Also since Covid the CA DoJ is at minimal staffing for reviewing DROS/background checks so waiting times went from 10 days which is the standard here to... 12 days... 15 days... 20 days... any day number you could imagine under 30 days; no rhyme or reason (CA DoJ says technically they don't have to make a decision until 30 days... there may be a lawsuit about that). That and intermittent store closures.

So now, without much of a break, we're onto Panic #2. You'll probably be able to get your firearm but you may have some difficulty. I have not been purchasing since Covid started so I couldn't tell you what the situation is like specifically, but you may want to call ahead. Most gun stores were moving to appointment only during Covid yet legal conditions around Covid was changing depending on the city so...

Also read OP. Particularly the Paperwork (and Safe Handling) section, as Alan Smithee alluded to: CA DoJ basically wants proof of citizenship now, which generally means a Real ID CA DL or ID Card (or by presenting proof of citizenship documents as outlined).

Finally: TFR has a General Question Thread and Newbie Question Thread pinned to the top of the subforum. Please take advantage of those as many are happy to answer "new" shooter questions (I mean you said you have shooting experience but it sounds like you're starting over).

Also please be safe (as in both the everything-on-fire outside sense and also the be-safe-handling-your-firearms sense).

Edit: Oh and I don't have a Ruger PC9, so I couldn't comment on it. I do have a 10/22 breakdown.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jun 2, 2020

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

gonger posted:

I haven’t shot guns since I was a kid in the south, but it’s starting to seem like this might be a good time to reconnect with my roots. Is it a ridiculous idea trying to acquire one at a time like this, or exactly the right idea?

In Brisbane my LGS has been receiving a bunch of Glocks, Sig's every week. They update their Facebook page every time they receive new stock of ammo and guns. Coyote Point Armory. You can even put a reservation on a future gun they haven't received yet.

If you are military Travis AFB had some descent stock when I was at the PX a month ago. Mostly revolvers, hunting rifles, shotguns and a Auto Ordance M1 carbine. Some pistols. Lever actions. They also had a lot of ammo but I didn't look at the prices.

Just go to a store near you and check out what they have, talk to them to ask for opinions, hold a lot of guns and don't be bullied into buying something that doesn't feel right in your hand.

Alan Smithee
Jan 3, 2005

apparently other shops in the bay were getting rolled on by dozens of cars but the shop guys held it down

Alan Smithee
Jan 3, 2005

Can anyone explain to me the appeal of the Springfield XD? I see it as a choice pick for a lot of people and at that price point relative to other stuff it seems hard to beat (the only semi-auto I've seen cheaper is a uh....high point and you'd probably have to give that to me as a throw in for buying a cow)

up to this point the ones I was looking at, XD was not on the list unless cost became a factor.

edit: btw I know that's a super ignorant thing to say re: price since nobody would ever compare the HP and XD and I certainly haven't researched the sub $500 range that heavily

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 2, 2020

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

The appeal of the XD? I think it's mostly limited to price and how limited our options are in CA. The XDm is much improved I've heard and has a number of things to recommend it but isn't on roster in CA.

The original has a poor reputation online for reliability and doesn't stand up well to Glock in the aftermarket aspect. That said, if you're like the majority of gun owners who shoot maybe once or twice a year it probably won't disappoint you.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sac Black Rifle boarded up their windows pre-emptively and have been sleeping in their shop for the past couple days. Lots of people (according to their IG story) showed up to keep them company just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Alan Smithee posted:

Can anyone explain to me the appeal of the Springfield XD? I see it as a choice pick for a lot of people and at that price point relative to other stuff it seems hard to beat (the only semi-auto I've seen cheaper is a uh....high point and you'd probably have to give that to me as a throw in for buying a cow)

up to this point the ones I was looking at, XD was not on the list unless cost became a factor.

edit: btw I know that's a super ignorant thing to say re: price since nobody would ever compare the HP and XD and I certainly haven't researched the sub $500 range that heavily

I have an XD that was my first purchase and I like it, however pretty much everyone on this forum dislikes it perhaps given enough time I might feel the same; not yet though, shoots fine for me, though I'm not the best shot either. Buying an XD is a good value though when the mag rebates are happening; they'll usually run a mail in rebate promo where if you purchase a new XD then you'll receive 2 - 5 extra mags depending on the promotion they're running, and then maybe a soft handgun bag and a really basic plastic firearm and mag holster; it comes with 2 mags already, so if they really cranked up their promo then a handgun, 7 mags, a bag, and some cheap plastic holster for that price point becomes a pretty good deal. The mags I've heard in, say, the competitive shooting scene are notable for not taking abuse well.

The last one was in mid 2019 afaik; Probably won't see one for 2020: https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog...nstant-gear-up/

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 2, 2020

«69 »