Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

When, uh, does that go into effect?
It was moved up from July 2024 to 2022 in the Budget Trailer bills (Either SB-118 or AB-88, I forget). I guess "soon" is a relative term, but it got moved up by 2 years.

Currently this only affects basically 80% frames/receivers.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Also I read today that the felon who walked up to those two LAPD officers sitting in their cruiser and unloaded on them used a 80% glock, so I'm sure that has something to do with this suit.
It does... but this focus on "Ghost Guns" has been happening for a while; I doubt it had an impact on deciding whether to go forward or not with this lawsuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

I Demand Food posted:

Also L oh loving L if he thinks the West Coast wouldn't suddenly be blanketed with no carry signs if OC ever became a thing.

Which is pretty much what happened in Texas,

3 signs popped up when the last major overhaul happened:

30.06 no concealed carry
30.07 no open carry
51% no carry due to the establishment deriving 51% or more of its revenue from sales of alcohol.

Open carry happened and a bunch of places threw up 30.07 signs but were ok with consealed.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FPC is going to war this week with Becerra about the assault weapons ban. Not expecting much but who knows!

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah it's the evidentiary hearing. Hopefully it goes well, though I imagine at the district level it will go pretty well given Benitez is the residing judge. I wouldn't expect anything like Freedom Week though.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'm moving back to California () and realized I better make sure I'm legal on my guns. I don't think there are any problems, but I thought I'd list them out:

• S&W Model 49 revolver in .38spl
  • Heritage .22 single-action revolver
  • 20 gauge Remington Wingmaster pump shotgun
  • Mosin-Nagant (which I bought while in California years ago)
  • Savage Model 99 lever-action rifle in .308
  • Savage Mk II bolt-action .22 with 5 and 10 rd mags
  • Marlin 989 M2 semi-auto .22 with... either a 5 or 10 rd magazine, I forget

Basically I'm your fuddy grandpa, I guess. Does anything stand out as A Bad & Dangerous Assault Weapon? Only two of them even have magazines, and they're all 10rd or less.

What do I need to do when I bring them into the state? It looks like we're going to either South San Francisco or Daly City; are there municipal rules too?

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Mar 31, 2010

Justice posted:

New Resident Firearm Ownership Report

As defined by California Penal Code sections 17000 and 27560, a personal firearm importer is any person who moves into California with a firearm that was acquired from outside of this state and who intends to own and possess the firearm in California. A personal firearm importer is required to report ownership of their firearms by submitting a New Resident Firearm Ownership Report within sixty (60) days of bringing the firearms into California.

Use the New Resident Firearm Ownership Report if:

• You are at least 18 years of age or older
  • You have either a California identification, driver license or military identification
  • You have a California residential (street) address
  • You are not prohibited from owning/possessing a firearm
  • You intend to own and possess the firearm in California
  • The firearm being reported was acquired outside of California
  • You are the owner of the firearm
  • You are not a licensed firearms dealer, licensed manufacturer or licensed importer
  • The firearm is not an assault weapon as defined in Penal Code sections 30210 through 30530

I think everything you listed is good to go, but don't know if there's any municipal wackiness.

Edit: Also, are you certain that you don't have any Glock 43s to bring along?

Skinnymansbeerbelly fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 30, 2020

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Or an M&P 2.0? I thought I remember you having one you were sick of.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm moving back to California () and realized I better make sure I'm legal on my guns. I don't think there are any problems, but I thought I'd list them out:

• S&W Model 49 revolver in .38spl
  • Heritage .22 single-action revolver
  • 20 gauge Remington Wingmaster pump shotgun
  • Mosin-Nagant (which I bought while in California years ago)
  • Savage Model 99 lever-action rifle in .308
  • Savage Mk II bolt-action .22 with 5 and 10 rd mags
  • Marlin 989 M2 semi-auto .22 with... either a 5 or 10 rd magazine, I forget

Basically I'm your fuddy grandpa, I guess. Does anything stand out as A Bad & Dangerous Assault Weapon? Only two of them even have magazines, and they're all 10rd or less.

What do I need to do when I bring them into the state? It looks like we're going to either South San Francisco or Daly City; are there municipal rules too?

Nothing sticks out to me as anything that'd trigger any issues. Usually I have to remind people that semiauto handguns (specifically handguns) with threaded barrels aren't allowed.

As beerbelly said sign up for CFARs and report them online within 60 days. Also this is a prime time to remind you that this will possibly be one of your only chances to bring in any handguns that aren't on the the California Handgun Roster (as long as they're otherwise legal, so no threaded barrel semiautos, no 11+ mags, etc.), so it's suggested that if there's an off-roster handgun that you want, that you purchase it and bring it with you to California, and if you later don't want it you'll almostly definitely get your money back, if not more.

Feel free to ask if you have anymore questions.

Edit:

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Or an M&P 2.0? I thought I remember you having one you were sick of.
Pretty sure they had a Ruger Mark IV that they wanted to get rid of also.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 30, 2020

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Thanks for the sanity check, everyone, and I'll be sure to report things when I get there.

One more question: what are my transport requirements when I bring them in? Can I have stuff in soft cases lying on the floor in the back seat of the car? Or do I need locked cases for everything? Should I pack all the ammunition in the other vehicle?

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Pistols and revolvers have to be unloaded in a locked container, inaccessible to the driver. The trunk is a locked container but the glove compartment (even if locked) isn't. Rifles can just be unloaded, technically the back seat is ok but I strongly advise against it in case you have an interaction with law enforcement, or stop somewhere you could be burgled.

Ammunition can be wherever as long as it isn't in any of the guns, but I also recommend storing it out of sight for the above reasons

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

flightless greeb posted:

Pistols and revolvers have to be unloaded in a locked container, inaccessible to the driver. The trunk is a locked container but the glove compartment (even if locked) isn't. Rifles can just be unloaded, technically the back seat is ok but I strongly advise against it in case you have an interaction with law enforcement, or stop somewhere you could be burgled.

Ammunition can be wherever as long as it isn't in any of the guns, but I also recommend storing it out of sight for the above reasons

Ok. We're going to have one of those dog "hammocks" in the back seat so the floor should be out of sight, but you're probably right that it makes more sense to use the trunk... the Mosin is so long it might have to go in the back seat, though.

I'd like to just bring everything into the hotel room at night (it'll be a 2 day trip), although depending on the place... I don't want to make 2 trips through the lobby with an armload of obvious guns.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Already posted this in the TFR discord, but:
New opinion issued by a 3-judge 9th circuit appeals panel on Wright v Beck filed on 12/1/2020:

New Opinion: https://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2020/12/01/19-55084.pdf
Memorandum: https://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/memoranda/2020/12/01/19-55084.pdf
Calguns case link: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1100712
Original Complaint in District Court from 7/31/2015: http://michellawyers.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Complaint.pdf
Docket for Wright v Beck (District Court): https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/4153149/wayne-william-wright-v-charles-l-beck/

Wright v Beck is the case of the former Glendale PD/Firefighter Helicopter Pilot/Vietnam Veteran gun collector with... approximately 463 guns... had them all seized by LAPD in a bad sting on trying to get him on illegal firearm dealing (Read original complaint for details concerning the same officers mentioned later in this complaint, it was pretty bad; Michel & Associates paints it as LAPD trying to meet gun seizure quotas for federal counterterrorism grants). LAPD didn't ultimately charge Wright for any illegal firearm dealing, but they did find an unregistered assault weapon and charged him with one count of assault weapon possession (that Mr. Wright claims to have acquired from another retired police officer's estate as said officer's Estate Executor, which he forgot about apparently), and then there was a plea agreement for probation over that charge. After probation ended, CA DOJ certified he was eligible to have firearms again so Wright applied to get his firearms back. LAPD made him prove that he owned all the guns. He asserted that he owned... I think all but 40 of them?... Provided copies of receipts, original receipts, they go back and forth on this with LAPD slacking on approving the receipts. Wright files in court, court considers some of them returned and tells them to work it out informally over the remaining firearms, and return to court only if necessary.

LAPD represents that they're still looking over his collection and proofs of purchase, yet Officer Edwards (from the LAPD Gun Unit and also the main actor in the original sting against Wright) applies for an ex parte order in a -different- court to destroy the remaining 300+ firearms, and it's granted, without any notice to Wright or without mentioning that Wright has been asserting claim over the firearms this whole time. The guns are smelted.

Wright then sues the two officers they were negotiating with and Edwards in their official and individual capacities, and the chief of police and City Attorney in their official capcities, and the city of Los Angeles; He loses in district (and state court I think, I forget), and the district judge grants qualified immunity to everybody, dismisses the failure-to-train claim (meaning the city failed to train the officers correctly, and therefore is liable), and also property/due process claims.

Federal 9th Circuit 3-Judge Panel said hell no in a 3-0 unanimous decision. They basically said Edwards knew what he was doing when going to a different court to get that ex parte destruction order, so he loses qualified immunity... There wasn't any proof linking the other two officers they were negotiating with to the firearm destruction, so they keep their qualified immunity. As the Chief and City Attorney were being sued in their official capacities, they don't get qualified immunity. Because the failure-to-train claim being dismissed hinged on the officers getting qualified immunity, it too is restored. And of course, his claim of his due process being violated forms most of the opinion, because without notice, "the right to be heard has little reality or worth." (paraphrasing from Mullane)

It gets remanded to district court. At least one person who's a lawyer says that the remand is basically just to decide damages since the opinion covers mostly everything else.
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1100712&page=5

The original judge who ruled against Wright in federal district court is dead, so it will be assigned to a new federal district court judge.

I'm usually a little more... polite? Well mannered?... when it comes to writing these summaries, but in no uncertain terms I want it to be known
Get hosed LAPD and City of LA; Burn in Hell Officer Edwards.
I hope the awarding of damages is generous for Mr. Wright and his attorneys as this seems to be blatant police corruption. It's also possible that LAPD etc. ends up appealing this en banc in the 9th circuit, but a unanimous opinion makes it more likely that such a request would be denied.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

"Get hosed LAPD and City of LA; Burn in Hell Officer Edwards" would be a cool thread tagline just saiyan

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Holy poo poo that is insane. gently caress LAPD.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Becerra was just picked for Biden's cabinet, so maybe his replacement will turn the DOJ arou-hahahahaha

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Becerra was just picked for Biden's cabinet, so maybe his replacement will turn the DOJ arou-hahahahaha

his destiny was to replace feinstien nooooo

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Rarely have I used a website as loving broken as loving CFARS. I have filled in the information for my Mosin-Nagant THREE loving TIMES and every time I hit "preview" it just dumps me back to the "Welcome to CFARS" front page with no warning. Managed to get two rifles entered and in the cart so far, after some similar fuckery. Christ.

Edit: why did it ask me for a barrel length on the two previous rifles but not the Mosin? what the gently caress, in short.

edit 2: switching to Chrome seems to have helped but now it's convinced that the Mosin is "owned" by a different person than the first 2 rifles I entered. gently caress me. gently caress all this poo poo. I suppose this is "working as intended".

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 7, 2021

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah I've used it with Chrome; I haven't had issues lately but that website can be really screwy sometimes.

Are you trying to do a C&R In-state acquisition report?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Gimme Gimme Swedish Fish...

Fallen Rib

Pham Nuwen posted:

Rarely have I used a website as loving broken as loving CFARS. I have filled in the information for my Mosin-Nagant THREE loving TIMES and every time I hit "preview" it just dumps me back to the "Welcome to CFARS" front page with no warning. Managed to get two rifles entered and in the cart so far, after some similar fuckery. Christ.

Edit: why did it ask me for a barrel length on the two previous rifles but not the Mosin? what the gently caress, in short.

edit 2: switching to Chrome seems to have helped but now it's convinced that the Mosin is "owned" by a different person than the first 2 rifles I entered. gently caress me. gently caress all this poo poo. I suppose this is "working as intended".

I'm not in CA, have never used CFARS, and I'm not on a PC to check, but I've had the best luck with government websites in IE or Edge. The sites are written really badly, and it seems only tested on the default browser on a locked down .gov computer. It's literally the reason I have Edge on my quick launch. Federal, state, local, it doesn't seem to matter.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BeAuMaN posted:

Yeah I've used it with Chrome; I haven't had issues lately but that website can be really screwy sometimes.

Are you trying to do a C&R In-state acquisition report?

Just moved to CA so I'm trying to report all the poo poo I brought with me.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Hope you brought some off roster pistols!

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Pham Nuwen posted:

Just moved to CA so I'm trying to report all the poo poo I brought with me.
Oh that's right, sorry, I forgot. It's entirely possible someone in California originally transferred that Mosin in-state, then sold it to someone out of state, and it's still on the books in AFS here. I'll take a look into the issue later when I get a chance. Feel free to bug me on Discord in case I forget.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Yesterday I was bringing in one gun at a time and trying to type in the serial number while holding it in my lap. I realized that was dumb, so I went and noted down each manufacturer, model, serial number, etc. on a pad and entered the data from that. A combination of using Chrome, a cooler head, and better organized data means I was able to get things entered properly and submitted just now. I guess I'll know if I hosed it up if the sheriff knocks my door down.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Pham Nuwen posted:

Yesterday I was bringing in one gun at a time and trying to type in the serial number while holding it in my lap. I realized that was dumb, so I went and noted down each manufacturer, model, serial number, etc. on a pad and entered the data from that. A combination of using Chrome, a cooler head, and better organized data means I was able to get things entered properly and submitted just now. I guess I'll know if I hosed it up if the sheriff knocks my door down.

Yeah this reminds me of AW registration where I had to get everything in place first. You have to do prep for paperwork before you do the paperwork. gently caress this state.

Oh. Also, if the CA DoJ starts asking you questions about your forms; specifically stuff that wasn't on those forms; feel free to ask questions here about that. CA DoJ has a tendency to ask for more information than is required. Sometimes they want extra pictures, other times they want your FFL03 number to renew your COE. Many times they're legally allowed to ask these things, but you aren't required to give them these things. You may decide to give them these things just to complete the process and hope they don't knock down your door, but I'd be extra wary of pictures, especially if it's on a thing that could potentially be an AW.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 9, 2021

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Another question, what's the status of black powder revolvers in California? They're fun to shoot, but if they're treated like regular "real" handguns then I'm going to declare the juice not worth the squeeze.

Alan Smithee
Jan 3, 2005

anyone ever go to Bay Area Gun Vault?

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Cap and ball guns are largely unregulated in CA I believe, the only law I'd heard of is about concealed carry (not allowed), you can still have them delivered to your door etc

I've also bought a couple guns at BAGV, they usually have a very good selection and run thru used guns fairly quick, during the panic they were pretty much cleared out and only letting one person into the store at a time so you'd have to wait an hour + to get in.

Alan Smithee
Jan 3, 2005

I'm hearing the FN Five Seven got taken off roster

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

Looks like they're still on there to me.

Some guns look like they fall off in January as they get renewed.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

I Demand Food posted:

Looks like they're still on there to me.

Some guns look like they fall off in January as they get renewed.

I checked myself just now, and the FN 5.7 I.O.M is on the de-certified list. The FN 5.7 looks to be now an off-roster pistol in 2021.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

ArmyGroup303 posted:

I checked myself just now, and the FN 5.7 I.O.M is on the de-certified list. The FN 5.7 looks to be now an off-roster pistol in 2021.

I'm not too familiar with the paperwork rigmarole every year on the roster (as in the little intracasies of it) but Librarian (calguns) has said that typically stuff gets put back on the roster by mid January. I'm not sure if a pistol being on the de-certified list is a permanent thing at this point, or if unprocessed paperwork results in stuff moving from de-certified to certified again.

That said it's entirely possible FN Five-Seven may have dropped off.

Sublimazed
Oct 29, 2011

ArmyGroup303 posted:

Make sure you're choosing FN Herstal, not Fabrique Nationale.

It's still on the list when I checked yesterday.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Sublimazed posted:

Make sure you're choosing FN Herstal, not Fabrique Nationale.

It's still on the list when I checked yesterday.
That's a good point. I wonder if during re-cert they changed their company name?
Handgun Certified Roster:

De-Certified Handgun Models

That would explain why it shows up on both like that for the same models/colors.

Sublimazed
Oct 29, 2011

BeAuMaN posted:

That's a good point. I wonder if during re-cert they changed their company name?

That would explain why it shows up on both like that for the same models/colors.

They moved from VA to SC, too

Alan Smithee
Jan 3, 2005

BeAuMaN posted:

FNH SA? Is this a good idea? We can barely run a forum...

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Alan Smithee posted:

FNH SA? Is this a good idea? We can barely run a forum...

No no, I think FN Herstal noticed us and did a merger/buyout of S.A. as part of a marketing ploy. We're just waiting on the news from Jeffrey. All mods and admins get a free Five-seveN handgun.

Alan Smithee
Jan 3, 2005

Goldbelly Browning Brownies

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Alan Smithee posted:

Goldbelly Browning Brownies

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

On that note, everyone should get a Five-seveN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmerepaul
Nov 28, 2005
That's not chapstick!

Alan Smithee posted:

anyone ever go to Bay Area Gun Vault?

Never been, but my buddy in the south bay recommended it. That was pre-covid, not sure how they are these days.