Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Via CRPA, the 9th is going to hear Duncan v Becerra (10-round mag limit) en banc. Oral arguments in mid-March.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Via CRPA, the 9th is going to hear Duncan v Becerra (10-round mag limit) en banc. Oral arguments in mid-March.

Man, I hope this ends up with the 10-round mag limit getting dropped, but I know it's just going to ban them all again with a 50/50 on grandfathering already owned magazines.

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

The stats are not on our side, but it's not impossible for the en banc panel to be friendly.

While I'd be happy with at least grandfathering freedom week mags in addition to pre-2k ones, even that requires quite a bit of hope and wishful thinking.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Waiting to see that panel composition before my hopes dash upon the jagged rocks of despair.

(Really am hoping for a favorable panel)

Let's see... Duncan v Becerra... First off the original panel that decided Duncan v Becerra shall automatically be included in the pool of judges to be drawn for en banc... but... that panel had a floater from Texas... lemme dig up the En Banc panel rules...
Okay, so visiting judges are eligible to be put in the pool. According to FRAP 35-3 if the order was issued today then the panel will be drawn tomorrow, but we won't know the results until way later, and it's possible that judges may withdraw. The visiting judge from Texas is District Judge Lynn, who wrote the dissent on the panel. So that means there's one additional anti-gun judge in the pool. Both Callahan and Lee are active judges; if they had been senior judges they normally would not be part of the pool but senior judges who decide an appeals panel case are automatically included in the pool.

So that -slightly- impacts our odds. No idea if anything else has changed with judges since Frunksock last did their odds spreadsheet; wikipedia at the very least doesn't indicate any more judges taking senior status since 2019 but that may be out of date.

Edit: I actually take that back... maybe. It's unclear to if District Judge Lynn can participate En Banc; I'll give the orders a more thorough read later, though it probably depends if a visiting judge can be considered an active judge; they're considered a "judge" for all context relevant mentions of a judge.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 26, 2021

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Bondematt posted:

Man, I hope this ends up with the 10-round mag limit getting dropped, but I know it's just going to ban them all again with a 50/50 on grandfathering already owned magazines.
The case was over enforcement on a categorical ban on possession, etc of 10+ magazines (except for police, movie studios, and security guards, of course), which would theoretically go immediately back into effect once the 9th rules, so... I wouldn't get too attached to anything you may have bought during Freedom Week.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Looks like the en banc got pushed back to June 21. Who needs to actually win the case when you can just reschedule it until we're all dead of old age?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Darke GBF posted:

Looks like the en banc got pushed back to June 21. Who needs to actually win the case when you can just reschedule it until we're all dead of old age?

Yeah, though on the other hand it's pretty common for dates to get pushed back. Looking at the docket on PACER this seems to have been done by the judges themselves though, as I see no requests on the docket.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

FPC has settled with CA DoJ in the case of Sharp v Becerra over failed attempts with AW registration on faulty CFARS AW registration website:
https://www.firearmspolicy.org/fpc-announces-settlement-lawsuit-california-bullet-button-assault-weapon-registration

Court Doc: https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.n....pdf?1616094253
(Still pending approval from judge)

FPC Summary:
KEY SETTLEMENT TERMS & CONDITIONS
  • The Agreement is effective immediately upon its approval by the U.S. District Court and upon the approval and entry of the Stipulated Injunction and Consent Decree.
  • DOJ will pay the plaintiffs $151,821.42 for attorneys’ fees and costs.
  • DOJ will re-open “assault weapon” registrations under Penal Code section 30900(b) for individuals who possessed eligible firearms and started the process of submitting applications to the Department of Justice Bureau of Firearms before July 1, 2018, but who were unable to complete the submission process because of technical difficulties.
  • DOJ will implement a public Notice Period for at least 120 days from the date that this stipulated injunction is entered by the Court.
  • After the notice period, DOJ will establish a web page for new eligible registrations for a period of 90 days (the “Registration Period”).

• To begin the Notice Period, DOJ will:
  • Announce and feature the re-opened Registration Period on the Bureau of Firearms website.
  • Provide notice of the re-opened Registration Period to other known firearms rights groups and law firms.
  • Provide notice of the re-opened Registration Period to every person that called or emailed them to complain about not being able to register before or after the original deadline of July 1, 2018 if contact information is available.
  • Conduct a public outreach campaign (Internet and traditional news) to notify the public about the re-opened Registration Period.

• DOJ will accept paper registration applications postmarked through the last day of the Registration Period.
  • The Court will retain jurisdiction to enforce the terms of the Agreement and the Stipulated Injunction.

• If the settlement and stipulated injunction is approved by the Court, the following will apply:
  • For the duration of the Notice Period and the Registration Period, the Department will abstain from prosecuting individuals for the charge of possession of an unregistered assault weapon under Penal Code sections 30600 or 30605 if they satisfy the Registration Requirements by the end of the Registration Period.
  • Persons eligible to register under the Registration Requirements will be accorded protection under Penal Code section 30680 and may raise their eligibility as an affirmative defense to any and all prosecutions throughout this State for which the valid registration of an assault weapon is or may be a defense.
  • In response to any and all inquiries from law enforcement agencies pertaining to requests for information regarding the status of any assault weapon registration(s), the Department will provide information referencing this injunction providing for the Registration Period.
  • The Attorney General will inform all district attorneys’ offices, sheriffs’ offices, and other law enforcement agencies in California of this Stipulated Injunction and Consent Decree, and advise that all pending investigations and prosecutions for Penal Code sections 30600 and/or 30605 for which valid registration of an assault weapon is or may be a defense should be stayed or postponed if there is reason to believe the subject would be able to meet the Registration Requirements and register the firearms appropriately.
  • Upon proof that a person has successfully completed the Registration Requirements, any pending investigation or prosecution as to a violation of section 30600 and/or 30605 for which valid registration of an assault weapon is a defense shall be ceased and any pending charges dismissed as to those violations.
  • Anyone who has a firearm being detained or held by a law enforcement agency, and who is not otherwise prohibited from owning or possessing firearms will not be barred from registering said firearm(s) if the person is otherwise eligible to register the firearm(s) under the Registration Requirements and can satisfy the Registration Requirements during the Registration Period.

Edit: Further analysis of the proposed settlement
On Page 2 and 3 of the proposed settlement doc:

Reopening of Assault Weapons Registrations Under Pen. Code § 30900(b) posted:

This re-opened registration period shall be available only to persons meeting all of the following requirements: (1) prior to January 1, 2017, the person would have been eligible to register an assault weapon pursuant to subdivision (b) of Penal Code § 30900; (2) the person lawfully possessed each assault weapon to be registered, prior to January 1, 2017; (3) the person attempted to register the assault weapon prior to the original registration deadline of midnight on July 1, 2018, but was unable to do so because of technical difficulties; and (4) the person timely registers the assault weapon(s) in accordance with the terms of this Stipulation. Collectively, these four requirements shall be referred to herein as “the Registration Requirements.”
I highlight requirement 3 because there's a question of how they verify this. If the website wasn't working, can they truly verify every person who attempted to register? This is covered later in the settlement on Page 4 and 5, Point 8:

quote:

During the Registration Period, the Department may require registrants to verify under penalty of perjury that they attempted to register their weapon(s) before July 1, 2018, but were unable to do so because of technical difficulties, by checking a box (or similar mechanism) contained as a part of their registration submission. The Department shall clearly notify any individuals registering firearms during the new Registration Period of the following: (a) that the Department may attempt to verify whether any particular registrant attempted to register their weapon(s) before July 1, 2018; (b) the potential consequences of providing false statements in connection with such registrations; and (c) that if they submit a weapon that was not attempted to be registered before July 1, 2018, they could be subject to consequences as prescribed by law.
On the face of it this seems to be requiring that the person applying for registration swear that they tried to register, and that the Department may attempt to verify if they did so, and there's legal consequences (confiscation and charges, etc.) if they're found to have submit a weapon that was not attempted to be registered.

This is kind of a tough position if you're not sure the department recorded your attempt, because if they're "verifying" your attempt, and their records don't show that you did (because their website was crap), then they may say that you didn't attempt to register. At that point do they deny you (and confiscate your firearm), or do they take you at your word and register you anyway?

To be sure this is a win for FPC, but this is going to require strong guidance on behalf of FPC and other gun groups on how to proceed, lest CA DoJ tries to entrap those who attempt to register.

As usual, not a lawyer, not your lawyer, etc.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 19, 2021

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

BeAuMaN posted:

This is kind of a tough position if you're not sure the department recorded your attempt, because if they're "verifying" your attempt, and their records don't show that you did (because their website was crap), then they may say that you didn't attempt to register. At that point do they deny you (and confiscate your firearm), or do they take you at your word and register you anyway?
If the gun was DROS'd prior to the original deadline, that would probably weigh heavily in favor of the applicant having attempted to register.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Dead Reckoning posted:

If the gun was DROS'd prior to the original deadline, that would probably weigh heavily in favor of the applicant having attempted to register.

Under the "Reopening of Assault Weapons Registrations Under Pen. Code § 30900(b)" that's a separate requirement than the previous attempt of registration. On the face of it it seems to just be the user swearing they attempted to register, but it's also CA DoJ so I wouldn't put it past them to try to make things difficult if they don't have an hard record of the person failing to register.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Mar 19, 2021

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

I wonder if having a time stamped calguns post about website issues would carry weight.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Mar 31, 2010

I hope it goes better than the late registration debacle from the 90s.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So this is basically just a "yeah you've got a period of time to put your name on the gun perverts list again?"

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

So this is basically just a "yeah you've got a period of time to put your name on the gun perverts list again?"

Yeah. For specified persons.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

He's a short review of USI Concord (https://unitedsportsmen.com/)

Pros:
* You can move the target holders between 25y, 50, and 100y on the rifle range. So you can do different stuff at different ranges without changing lanes.
* Same with the pistol lines. There's fixed targets at the berm, nominally 15y (tho see below), and then movable sleds that most people have sitting at about 7-10y.
* A huge number of lanes. Even on a perfect Sunday afternoon, with every other lane closed for covid, they still had empty lanes on both sides.
* Tons of ROs, who all seemed pretty friendly.

Cons:
* It's a pretty long walk from the parking lot to the rifle lanes. You'll get a workout if you've got a lot of stuff and don't bring a cart.
* You'll need to measure the distance to the pistol target if you care, unless you shoot at the fixed targets at the back, which is supposed to be 15y but I ranged at 17y.
* Even though there's tons of open lanes, you'll still wait in line since they take awhile processing people in and out.
* Apparently they don't sell targets??
* It's a bit of a pain to change from rifle to pistol or vice versa. You'll have to go back up to the front desk and wait in line again (you should wait in the line for people getting their license back on the way out, not the people waiting to get in), so you're guaranteed to burn at least one firing period on it,

There's a waiver / test you have to take to get issued a card if it's your first time. You can do it online beforehand.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

frunksock posted:

He's a short review of USI Concord (https://unitedsportsmen.com/)

Pros:
* You can move the target holders between 25y, 50, and 100y on the rifle range. So you can do different stuff at different ranges without changing lanes.
* Same with the pistol lines. There's fixed targets at the berm, nominally 15y (tho see below), and then movable sleds that most people have sitting at about 7-10y.
* A huge number of lanes. Even on a perfect Sunday afternoon, with every other lane closed for covid, they still had empty lanes on both sides.
* Tons of ROs, who all seemed pretty friendly.

Cons:
* It's a pretty long walk from the parking lot to the rifle lanes. You'll get a workout if you've got a lot of stuff and don't bring a cart.
* You'll need to measure the distance to the pistol target if you care, unless you shoot at the fixed targets at the back, which is supposed to be 15y but I ranged at 17y.
* Even though there's tons of open lanes, you'll still wait in line since they take awhile processing people in and out.
* Apparently they don't sell targets??
* It's a bit of a pain to change from rifle to pistol or vice versa. You'll have to go back up to the front desk and wait in line again (you should wait in the line for people getting their license back on the way out, not the people waiting to get in), so you're guaranteed to burn at least one firing period on it,

There's a waiver / test you have to take to get issued a card if it's your first time. You can do it online beforehand.

Might give this place a try. Thanks for the heads up and review!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

Amid gun control debate, federal court rules states may restrict open carry of weapons

The ruling seems bad, though.

quote:

In a 7-4 decision, an en banc panel of the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals upheld a county law in Hawaii that has severely limited permits for open carrying of guns.

“The government may regulate, and even prohibit, in public places — including government buildings, churches, schools, and markets — the open carrying of small arms capable of being concealed, whether they are carried concealed or openly,” Judge Jay Bybee, appointed by President George W. Bush, wrote for the majority.

[...]

“We have never assumed that individuals have an unfettered right to carry weapons in public spaces,” Bybee wrote. “Indeed, we can find no general right to carry arms into the public square for self defense.”

Feels like this ruling is gonna get tossed real quick, and collaterally blow away several other well-intentioned, gun control laws based on that wording alone.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 25, 2021

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

I wouldn't count on it.

There's only one court to appeal the ruling to, and I think the panel majority are betting on SCOTUS not having the time or inclination to rule the states have to allow some sort of shall-issue carry... which frankly isn't a bad bet.

Also, they're federal judges. Even if SCOTUS comes back and says, "gently caress you, 2A cases are strict scrutiny now", the 9th can force every petitioner to re-argue their case again, then say it fails strict scrutiny and force the petitioners to appeal to SCOTUS to vindicate their rights.

For example, the 9th Circuit has been pretending for years that the AEDPA doesn't exist despite having been told repeatedly by SCOTUS that it does & they have to follow it, and none of them have lost their jobs over it.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 25, 2021

Nighthawk
Nov 21, 2003
(Spiffy title here)

I’m looking at moving to California at the end of the year for work, and someone on Reddit was talking about some handguns that could be imported but not bought in-state. Is there anything that would be worth bringing with me, then legally selling once I get there?

Alan Smithee
Jan 3, 2005

Nighthawk posted:

I’m looking at moving to California at the end of the year for work, and someone on Reddit was talking about some handguns that could be imported but not bought in-state. Is there anything that would be worth bringing with me, then legally selling once I get there?

people here will probably give you a grocery list

I know the Ruger Mk IV(?) was a popular one

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Nighthawk posted:

I’m looking at moving to California at the end of the year for work, and someone on Reddit was talking about some handguns that could be imported but not bought in-state. Is there anything that would be worth bringing with me....

Anything popular that’s also new. Also you’re not allowed to bring stuff in with that expressed sole reason to resell. You’ll have to ‘change your mind’ naturally while in state. If you end up selling a whole bunch of them I would not sell them the day you get your CA ID. Probably a good idea to wait 6-12mo after and spread them out.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

I don't know the number that triggers the fuzz on your rear end but some cop got busted using his police credentials to buy a bunch of off roster guns then flipping them privately.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

There’s no limit to how many you can import just don’t sell 30 of them at a time.

Nighthawk
Nov 21, 2003
(Spiffy title here)

Shaocaholica posted:

Anything popular that’s also new. Also you’re not allowed to bring stuff in with that expressed sole reason to resell. You’ll have to ‘change your mind’ naturally while in state. If you end up selling a whole bunch of them I would not sell them the day you get your CA ID. Probably a good idea to wait 6-12mo after and spread them out.

Yeah, I was only thinking one or two, and would have to wait a while before doing anything.

Ruger mark 4 looks kinda neat, lots of options there. I have a mountain of 22LR so it would be nice not having to fight the ammo line at the store for 9mm

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

The one people will joke/serious about is shadow 2 with the optic cut.

Nighthawk
Nov 21, 2003
(Spiffy title here)

Of course talking in generalities, don’t want to risk being a straw buyer for anyone. I was just wondering what the hot items would possibly be.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Nighthawk posted:

Everyone on here wishes they had a Ruger Mark IV because it's neat; Shao is right generally on this topic. Also once you get here if you still have parents/children/grandparents/grandchildren that reside out of state they can gift (not sell) you off-roster handguns from out of state, though getting a dealer that's willing to go through the process can be a pain in the rear end sometimes, and they'll charge you extra for the trouble. See "Interstate Intrafamilial Transfers" in OP. However, it's much easier to just bring what you want with you when you move here. Once you get here you'll need to register all your firearms you bring with you within 60 days of arrival. The notice there links you to form BOF 4010A, however you can setup a CFARs account and do everything online which may be easier (I tend to recommend reading the paper form and filling out online, as the paper form has better instructions. One form (paper form you make a copy for each firearm and submit them together) and a $19 fee covers all your firearms.

Additionally, a relatively recent... wrinkle: California really wants to make sure you, as a gun owner, are a legal resident of the United States! On form BOF 4010A It'll list that you need a copy of your CA Driver's License/ID Card; There's generally two variants of the CA Driver's Licenses/ID Card: you can get a "Federal Limits Apply" drivers license or you can get a federally compliant Real ID (which you need to board domestic flights starting October 1st anyway)... If you don't have the Real ID when doing your registration CA will want you to provide a copy of your birth certificate or passport, or other proof of lawful presence document (see page 2 on form BOF 4010A). This also applies to purchasing firearms and ammo in California; you'll want to get your Real ID eventually if not immediately. Either way you'll want those documents on hand before moving to CA.

Also, it's best to keep in mind what handguns are considered assault weapons. Per CA PC 30515:

CA PC 30515, excerpt posted:

(a) Notwithstanding Section 30510, “assault weapon” also means any of the following:
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that does not have a fixed magazine but has any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning the bearer’s hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.

(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
(b) For purposes of this section, “fixed magazine” means an ammunition feeding device contained in, or permanently attached to, a firearm in such a manner that the device cannot be removed without disassembly of the firearm action.
I think threaded barrel part probably trips people up the most. Also obviously no magazines with a capacity greater than 10 rounds for any firearms.

If you have any questions about the legality of your other firearms that you may be bringing with you before you get here, feel free to ask. My goondolences on you moving to California, but we're here to help

Edit: Also checking Calguns Private Handgun Sales for what price Handguns are going for can be useful but it's not an ultimate price/selling guide, just more data points.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 10, 2021

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe

Grimey Drawer

HK pistols made after the P2000 are off the list in California, so Ive heard of VP9s and P30s selling for a lot in the state.

Alan Smithee
Jan 3, 2005

FN FNX/FNS I've seen at shooting ranges for rent but are not roster

I believe Glock gen 5's?

Sig P320/365/P938

H&K VP9

Ruger 57

Walther PPQ

certain types of S&W M&P (dont know that model enough to know which one is and isn't roster)

https://www.lcaction.com

this is a cop only gun store in San Jose, if they have it, good chance it's a popular off roster

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

M&P 2.0

Shield 2.0

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

Stop loving telling people to commit crimes and then lie afterward.

Nighthawk posted:

Nighthawk posted:

Of course talking in generalities, don’t want to risk being a straw buyer for anyone. I was just wondering what the hot items would possibly be.
What you are describing is acting as a firearms dealer without a license, not a straw purchase. It is illegal, state and federal law enforcement take a very dim view of it, and you definitely shouldn't do it now that you've posted about your plan online and subsequently evinced consciousness of guilt.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Dude you have such a hard on for crimes I literally told him not to.

TurdBurgles
Sep 17, 2007

I AM WHITE AND PLAY NA FLUTE ON TRIBAL LANDS WITH NO GUILT.

Is there any stock checking equivalent like ammoseek but for firearms?

Nighthawk
Nov 21, 2003
(Spiffy title here)

Dead Reckoning posted:

Stop loving telling people to commit crimes and then lie afterward.

What you are describing is acting as a firearms dealer without a license, not a straw purchase. It is illegal, state and federal law enforcement take a very dim view of it, and you definitely shouldn't do it now that you've posted about your plan online and subsequently evinced consciousness of guilt.

Thanks for the dose of reality, it was a Bad Idea. At least there were some neat pistols people listed!

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Yeah, don't do anything that could be construed as straw transactions or dealing without a license, and don't talk about doing it on a public forum.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

Dude you have such a hard on for crimes I literally told him not to.
This would be slightly more plausible if you hadn't put "change your mind" in sarcasm quotes in your post.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Anyone have recommendations for a company that pins handgun magazines to 10 rounds?

Nighthawk
Nov 21, 2003
(Spiffy title here)

I'm ... actually kinda jealous. I visited a random Sportsman's Warehouse in Roseville and it had more ammo than every store I've been to here in the Seattle area, combined. I don't know if it's the background check requirement, only selling to people with CA licenses, or what, but I saw lots of calibers and boxes of 0.270 that I've never seen before. All for similar prices to WA.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Nighthawk posted:

I'm ... actually kinda jealous. I visited a random Sportsman's Warehouse in Roseville and it had more ammo than every store I've been to here in the Seattle area, combined. I don't know if it's the background check requirement, only selling to people with CA licenses, or what, but I saw lots of calibers and boxes of 0.270 that I've never seen before. All for similar prices to WA.

I live near that SW
Under normal circumstances, dangerous place to go 'just browse' when you have a CCW since that opens the gate to buying. "Oh I left my firearms safety card at home" is moot. That's gotten me a couple times there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 3, 2005

How’s prices these days anyway