Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Latest Update, Update 6: Episode 6-1: Retreading Old Ground.....Episode 6-2: Slime Draws Near

What is this game?

This is the story of a white guy chasing another white guy through Japan over a ghost waifu.

Seriously though, Nioh is a more fantasy-style interpretation of the events that happened after post Nobunaga-era Japan, following the events of a man known as William. With England tangled in its war with Spain and privateers at the ready, William would discover the powerful resource known as Amrita with the use of his unique spiritual guardian. Knowing of his talents, Edward Kelly imprisons (was it Kelly?) William for a scheduled execution with plans to make use of said guardian to find Japan/Zipangu in order to gather this wonderful resource. Not willing to take all this standing down, William springs into action by breaking out of jail and chasing Kelly down for answers.

Nioh's a weirdly fascinating game to me.The game's writing is inspired from various stories that were brought about from the time, ranging from William/Kelly's origin stories to famous Japanese fortresses, to even tall tales about how some people figure out the time of day. Its effectively a jumble of tall tales and short stories mixed together to make a stir fry of a corny action story, and I love it to death because of it. Gameplay wise, (yes i'm saying this earnestly) its kind of like Souls-games but not: The game plays in a 3rd person perspective as you travel through various levels, slashing at enemies that are very rude and overpowering, while you loot the area and fight the big boss at the end of it all. Nioh however does a lot of things I like, with the big one being that enemies can't cheat: Much like you, enemies have a stamina bar that depletes with each attack, and you are expected to make use of this and drain out their stamina to get openings or even free executions. There are less weapons in general, however this game features Stances in order to give every weapon effectively three styles to choose from, and this is further augmented by a skill tree that expands whatever fighting style you prefer. There's a bunch of little things as well that makes the gameplay feel super tight, like Ki-cancelling your attacks to quickly regen stamina and get to a neutral stance, and a burst mode for each of your guardian spirits, that I really appreciate.

What to expect of this LP
I have a weird history with Nioh. I've lapped the main game 3 times and am powering through the DLC for the first time, but I still feel like I'm not a super-badass at this game compared to some of my other LPs. This LP is going to be much more casual by comparison, and is basically serving to show off the game and why I like it so much. Before you ask: there's no loving way I'm getting every Kodama since that's a crazy amount of collectibles for very little benefits. Looting in this game is weird, I'll probably miss a fair bit of stuff but there's nothing absolutely substantial like say getting the Dragon Bone Smasher in Demons Souls. I do however plan to try and show off every weapon I can since this game just throws skill resets at you quite frequently, and you can also easily buy skill resets with no problem. I also plan to take some liberties with the game as well after discovering something mid-recording.

BigTUnit1 returns for commentary, and his interpretations are already worth it. He should've been the writer for this game.

You'll also appreciate that I'm still learning poo poo about the game as I go, which will be demonstrated in update 2. Hope you all enjoy the show.

Table of Contents
Attract Mode
Update 1: No, its not Tom Cruise
Update 2: We Lost Geloof.....Part 1.....Part 2
Update 3: Episode 3-1: Sidequests.....Episode 3-2: Paralyzer
Update 4: Episode 4-1: Nue Rock.....Episode 4-2: My Rad Purple Shibe
Update 5: Episode 5-1: The Shame Hole...Episode 5-2: Sloth-Style
Update 6: Episode 6-1: Retreading Old Ground.....Episode 6-2: Slime Draws Near

Highwang fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Hell yeah. I'm possibly wrapping up with the game myself (might drag it out a bit more though). It's such a nifty techincal actioner - I just wish it didn't have the Dark Souls bloodstain mechanic and possibly also was a bit less of an RPG. And explained more about itself.

(My build is the Clobberninja; tonfa and kunai. It turns out kunai are really good and tonfa are amazing?)

William's accent is Irish, and Saoirse speaks... well, Irish. I'm not really sure why William is Irish in Nioh. I don't think he had any link to Ireland IRL?

Anyway I have very recently acquired a whole mess of feelings about this game, most of them good.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 9, 2018

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

While the guy William was based on was British, as I understand, they made him Irish because they felt the Irish culture had a more compatible relationship with spirits so he'd fit in with the spirit sensitive characters throughout the game.

Yosuke Hayashi posted:

We understand that the Irish have a culture of spirits and one of the premises behind William’s character is his ability to see yokai/ spiritual characters so that’s why we made him Irish.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One cool thing is that Nioh started off as a game based on a unfinished Akira Kurosawa script.

Also, 'Edward Kelly as the guy getting the chaos emeralds for the queen of england'.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Shouldn't the title be The Whitest Samurai U Noh?

Also hooray, I don't have to play this game to check it out. I'm terrible at Soulsborne games.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Good luck; it's a great game but I gave up at some point during the DLC due to recycled boss fights that pissed me off to no end.

edit: To add something actually interesting - Thomas Derrick was a real executioner as well.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Aug 9, 2018

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I've sunk a lot of time into this game myself and I'm a huge Sengoku personalities sperg so I might just pitch my war tent in here and sit on a chair watching all the death from a distance and maybe fan myself.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
It's a bit amusing how you can "grind" revenants for your gear, especially if there's self-reinforcing trends in people's use of particular weapons and armor sets, which then others get from them and so on...

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Alavaria posted:

It's a bit amusing how you can "grind" revenants for your gear, especially if there's self-reinforcing trends in people's use of particular weapons and armor sets, which then others get from them and so on...
Yeah, there is one set in particular which is used by absolutely loving every revenant and their mother.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The game sprinkles some fake graves around for non network players and if you can't instantly ID them by their names you can usually figure it out by them wearing literally anything other than the Warrior of the West set.

Or at least that's usually what it is for me.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, there is one set in particular which is used by absolutely loving every revenant and their mother.
A particular lightning odachi/katana, and what was it, Warrior of the West/Red Oni yeah?

Fedule posted:

The game sprinkles some fake graves around for non network players and if you can't instantly ID them by their names you can usually figure it out by them wearing literally anything other than the Warrior of the West set.
But would they have the carefully filtered out pure top rarity items... it's amusing to see a full purple set and it's most likely all the same WotW set copied over from player to player.

Alavaria fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 9, 2018

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Adams_(sailor)

Fun fact, the main character is based on this guy.

quote:

William Adams (24 September 1564 – 16 May 1620), known in Japanese as Miura Anjin (三浦按針: "the pilot of Miura Rigianan Koru"[1]) was an English navigator who, in 1600, was the first of his nation to reach Japan during a five-ship expedition for the Dutch East India Company. Of the few survivors of the only ship that reached Japan, Adams and his second mate Jan Joosten were not allowed to leave the country while Jacob Quaeckernaeck and Melchior van Santvoort were to go back to the Dutch Republic to invite them to trade. Adams and Joosten settled in Japan and became two of the first ever (and very few) Western samurai.

Soon after Adams's arrival in Japan, he became a key advisor to the shōgun Tokugawa Ieyasu. Adams directed construction for the shōgun of the first Western-style ships in the country. He was later key to Japan's approving the establishment of trading factories by the Netherlands and England. He also was highly involved in Japan's Red Seal Asian trade, chartering and serving as captain of four expeditions to Southeast Asia. He died in Japan at age 55. He has been recognised as one of the most influential foreigners in Japan during this period.[2]

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
By the way the Tower of London level wasn't added later. It was in the retail version from day 1.

Nioh is awesome, played it for several hundred hours and still play it occasionally in coop .

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

WaltherFeng posted:

By the way the Tower of London level wasn't added later. It was in the retail version from day 1.

Nioh is awesome, played it for several hundred hours and still play it occasionally in coop .

Huh, did not know that. Something later leads me to believe it was added posthumously.

Also for those that love this game, this LP's gonna be a loving mess after the 2nd boss. I haven't recorded it yet, but after La-Mulana 2 came out and ate my life, then Monster Hunter World came in and I became surprisingly enraptured in that, recording the 3rd area's gonna be hilarious with trying to learn the inputs again.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Highwang posted:

Huh, did not know that. Something later leads me to believe it was added posthumously.

Also for those that love this game, this LP's gonna be a loving mess after the 2nd boss. I haven't recorded it yet, but after La-Mulana 2 came out and ate my life, then Monster Hunter World came in and I became surprisingly enraptured in that, recording the 3rd area's gonna be hilarious with trying to learn the inputs again.

Oh man.

The really astonishing thing about Nioh is that despite being so good it always feels like complete horseshit when things aren't going well. I mostly put this down to the Dark Souls cancer eating away at Nioh's beating heart.

The flip side of this is, it will make for spicy LP material!

Honestly though, if it were me I'd be less concerned about the inputs and more concerned with the minutiae of enemy attack patterns and tells. That may be my experience being warped by NG++++ (I think, I've lost count), which seems so far to be basically a test of "how encyclopedic is your knowledge of this boss's roars?".

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fedule posted:

Oh man.

The really astonishing thing about Nioh is that despite being so good it always feels like complete horseshit when things aren't going well. I mostly put this down to the Dark Souls cancer eating away at Nioh's beating heart.

The flip side of this is, it will make for spicy LP material!

Honestly though, if it were me I'd be less concerned about the inputs and more concerned with the minutiae of enemy attack patterns and tells. That may be my experience being warped by NG++++ (I think, I've lost count), which seems so far to be basically a test of "how encyclopedic is your knowledge of this boss's roars?".

Its Team Ninja, same people who made Ninja Gaiden.
The game itself may have a lot of dark souls influence but that ninja gaiden dna is still there and very obvious.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I've played this game, rage-quit it, uninstalled it, then came back to it from the begining a few months later no less than 3 times.

Last time stuck. That time I cheesed my way 2/3rds through the game abusing stealth talismans and the Kusarigama etc but I just could not beat Saika Magoichi.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Its Team Ninja, same people who made Ninja Gaiden.
The game itself may have a lot of dark souls influence but that ninja gaiden dna is still there and very obvious.

Oh I know. It's pretty unmistakeable. But Nioh has nevertheless been fully taken over by Souls. This is not deniable. The simple fact of the basic mechanics it borrows from Souls completely changes how players approach, think and feel about the game. It's not that everything I don't like about Nioh is Souls, it's the fact that Souls has this effect on the rest of Nioh that is like the opposite of synergy. There are things in Nioh that are maybe minor annoyances but because Nioh is Souls they are infuriating. You could make a game that was Nioh but with regular checkpointing at shrines (hell, keep the enemy reset even), and 90% of the situations that make me extremely hopping mad about Nioh just... stop mattering so much.

What I'd really love to see, though, is a game with basically Nioh's combat but designed and balanced like an action game. Even keep the stuff from Dark Souls that's actually worth learning from - having to commit to your basic attacks is exactly the kind of twist that, say, Platinum games could make major hay with, and Souls' level design sensibilities are great (and Nioh does have that aspect of it down pat, save for a handful of individual howlers).

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Deptfordx posted:

I've played this game, rage-quit it, uninstalled it, then came back to it from the begining a few months later no less than 3 times.

Last time stuck. That time I cheesed my way 2/3rds through the game abusing stealth talismans and the Kusarigama etc but I just could not beat Saika Magoichi.

Doing you a solid favor here even though that's way later in the game:
Hit him while he's in midair. It's a free knockdown into execution. Dunno how I'd achieve that with the kusarigama but its how I wrecked him with Twin-Kat

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
I couldn't even get past the oni boss with the two ball and chains.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Highwang posted:

Doing you a solid favor here even though that's way later in the game:
Hit him while he's in midair. It's a free knockdown into execution. Dunno how I'd achieve that with the kusarigama but its how I wrecked him with Twin-Kat

Too late I sold it and it probably wouldn't have helped. It's not like I didn't look up strategy guides. My reflexes just weren't up to it.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Pharohman777 posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Adams_(sailor)

Fun fact, the main character is based on this guy.

Also the character basis for John Blackthorn in James Clavell's Shōgun, which is an excellent book that everyone should read.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Also the character basis for John Blackthorn in James Clavell's Shōgun, which is an excellent book that everyone should read.

The miniseries isn't bad either, and easier to come by than the book. The first couple episodes alone are worth a watch, just for the extreme culture clash.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update- Episode 2: We Lost Geloof.....Part 1.....Part 2

Alternate title: We insult pretty much everyone.

The game opens up with all of our mechanics now! We now officially have access to the mechanics that distinguish Nioh from the rest of the souls-rear end Souls games: Stances, Flux & its intricacies, weapon skill trees, Ninjitsu & Onmyo, and probably other mechanics that I just forgot about. The game does a good job about acclimating you to them as well with the first half of the level, though oddly enough the Bow tutorial is "tucked away" in an area I had no idea of it existing. Said area is the main reason I had to split this video into two parts, because wow there's a lot of level to this level that i never saw because I usually just lame out the first manor area with long range weaponry. The boss here is Onryoki, and he's kind of a punk when you're starting out HP wise. You don't have access to a smith or any good weapons at this point at the game, and Onryoki is pretty meaty compared to most of everything else you've fought. He does tend to eat a lot of newbies that haven't grasped the game's mechanics, but the game expects you to make use of Flux and good dodging to stay in the fight with gross stamina returns to lay into the boss. If you also drain out its stamina meter, or break his horns, you have a solid opportunity to open up with Living Weapon and just tear a bunch of his HP away. A good simple boss though, imo I personally like the fact that the devs gave him a retaliate towards back attacks since that's kind of what players tend to do against big enemies like this.

Also we meet our new foreign contact. Which is good, cause William doesn't speak a lick of Japanese.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I know this is off topic, but another excellent piece of writing by James Clavell is The Children’s Story. Highly recommended every adult read it. You will never look at the Pledge of Allegiance or people who don’t stand during it the same way again.

On topic, Nioh is a fun game with an interesting take on the history of Japan and England. It was very well done and I look forward to the sequel (one has been confirmed). I also am enjoying this LP and wish its creators the best of fortune keeping it going to completion.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So is sailing to Japan via South America actually faster than going the Africa route?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So is sailing to Japan via South America actually faster than going the Africa route?
It probably involved fewer chances at piracy. In particular the eastward route would involve heading through the Strait of Malacca, which for centuries thrived on such extralegal taxes between India and China. Even today, after about two hundred years of ongoing efforts by colonial and then local governments to curb the piracy itself, the passage still presents issues due to its narrowness and the annual smog from fires in Sumatra and the Malay Peninsula. In fact Thailand has occasionally vetted a canal across its isthmus since the 1930s but they've always been stopped by the issue of it being horribly expensive to construct.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I actually like using the low stance on the dual swords for cleaning up weaker enemies like the Dwellers, since you can tear through their health before your stamina bar is exhausted. And there's less risk that your attacks will just fly uselessly over their heads while they're on all fours. (This is still less of a problem than it was during the alpha, where they were a lot harder to hit when downed and were also ridiculously tanky to boot).

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Someone did already mention this in the youtube comments but historical William and his buddies did in fact set off in those particularly named boats. They went via South America cause somewhere along the way was a stop off for unloading some stuff on the way to Japan to get money to buy spice and establish trade once they got there. The journey was pretty nuts on its own, it's a testament to what came after that it's mostly a minor intro to his personal story.

Dwellers are jerks but they teach you not to get too overconfident, because you underestimate the half-naked stumbling zombie guys and you get your face gouged or you get barged on.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but the historical Adams was a merchant with the Dutch navy (hence the ship names). I believe the game goes with him stowing away on the Liefde.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Aug 18, 2018

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
So this lp inspired me to try playing this game again. And I just discovered that the PC version has steam controller support built in.
Not a big deal but it is nice for those of us who paid an extra twenty bucks when the steam link went on sale.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
You have a bow, a sear and, well, two swords. You just need a samurai armor and you will look like a proper Samurai!

Anyway, about the enormous spears, the twice the length of a man spears are way big, but it's also worth noting that spears in Dark Souls are tiny. The pike is reasonable long if it was called spear instead, the spear called spear is a joke.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Crystalgate posted:

You have a bow, a sear and, well, two swords. You just need a samurai armor and you will look like a proper Samurai!

Anyway, about the enormous spears, the twice the length of a man spears are way big, but it's also worth noting that spears in Dark Souls are tiny. The pike is reasonable long if it was called spear instead, the spear called spear is a joke.

There was a bit of an arms race with pike length at the height of pike warfare. the side with the longest pikes and tightest formation tended to win the push. so Pikes could get pretty loving long, long enough that they had to rest it on the man in front's shoulder to make them actually usable.

And yes about spears, they were usually made to be taller than the person wielding them, seeing that keeping your target in range and you out of theirs is how fights are won.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
It got worse in Europe and some parts of Asia with all the types of polearm weapons they made. They didn't just put spears on sticks- they put hammers, axe blades, hooks for grabbing and pulling riders off horses, claws for holding people prisoner, and many combinations thereof. There are so many polearm weapons out there few scholars can remember and describe them all.

And yet, despite the arms race, they never were able to solve the problem described in this comic- http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0136.html

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

achtungnight posted:

It got worse in Europe and some parts of Asia with all the types of polearm weapons they made. They didn't just put spears on sticks- they put hammers, axe blades, hooks for grabbing and pulling riders off horses, claws for holding people prisoner, and many combinations thereof. There are so many polearm weapons out there few scholars can remember and describe them all.

And yet, despite the arms race, they never were able to solve the problem described in this comic- http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0136.html

God drat that's a lot of words when all he had to write was 'hey remember Monty Python???'

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I propose a swiss army polearm.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
A lot of polearms were pretty swissy by themselves. They would have a spear point or spike, something to hook enemies with, two of either a beak, an axe like thing or a hammer head, and may even have a spike on the other end as well.

There are indeed a lot of different polearms, they were after all the preferred way of fighting in melee by most. This includes the Samurai, their Katana was only their tertiary weapon in the battlefield, after the bow/musket and their polearm. With that in mind, it makes sense the polearm would get a lot of attention. That said, the straightforward spear had a very long run though.

Anyway, there were spears longer than twice that of a human, but within the context of this game, they make no sense.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

achtungnight posted:

The dead parrot really sells it.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Dodging is awesome in this game, especially with a certain skill, but you can block a whole lot of attacks that look unblockable, as long as you have stamina. For example, the Onryoki's big balls can be straight up blocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
WHOOPS LA-MULANA 2 CAME OUT LIKE A MONTH AGO AND I WAS HELLA IRRESPONSIBLE.

Update 3: A New Disguise
Episode 3-1: Sidequests
Episode 3-2: Paralyzer

This part of the game is, admittedly, one of the more brutal parts of the game when you're starting to learn the game. The level itself is admittedly not that hard, you're just going through the motions in a cavernous level with only one new enemy near the end. Admittedly, the bat traps are kinda rough but once you fall for them its easy to remember where those cheap deaths are. Its the boss of this level that's rough: Hino Enma is kinda brutal for new players since not only is it a boss with status effects, you have no clue such a mechanic is coming and you probably only have the 5 anti-paralytic needles as pickups near the end of the level. This makes learning the boss extremely difficult, since your first death will be "Oh I need my anti-paralysis needles" then roughly your next 2-3 attempts will be consuming them trying to learn the boss, making further attempts extremely frustrating. If that isn't bad enough, she punishes greed super hard by using a REALLY STRING command grab after being knocked down, fully taking me out of Living Weapon mode and still taking half my health. The best way to handle her imo is stamina drain and knockdown, since you aren't getting any reliable combos in when her bar's full.

We're also introduced to sidequests! These are micro-missions that net you rewards that the developers couldn't figure out how to put into the main run of the level, whether they be powerful consumables, unique equipment(!), or even Guardian Spirits with plot attached to them. My only gripe with this though is that they really don't do anything unique with it for a good 90% of the subquests, so it just becomes a murder-hobo run through a certain segment of the level. There are some subquests that have totally unique maps that you wouldn't see by doing only the main missions, but even then Ninja Theory quickly re-uses those maps later on in the game. Least we get to see me re-create a scene from Princess Mononoke in today's sidequest.

Blacksmithing was pretty well explained in the video. tl;dr, its gatcha. Not necessary, but you can bank on it if you're lucky.

We also learn about Ninjitsu Skills. I hear mixed things about them, ranging from super-fun to wholly worthless. I kind of agree with both. Ninjitsu is fun because it promotes an item-use mentality with unique and interesting tools, which (iirc) none of the Souls games really do at all. There are also some comically fun weapons among the Ninja tree, such as the MEGA HOROKU-DAMA. However, Ninjitsu primarily relies on Status Effects, which doesn't really do much to enemies from my experiences with the game. It also doesn't help that Onmyo, the other side of this coin, is so comically overpowered. Either way, both Ninjitsu and Onmyo are designed to be supplementary to your build rather than a build on its own, so don't be afraid to dip into both trees. We'll discuss Onmyo later more when the game calls for it, because right now the skills we get don't really convey how powerful magic is yet.

And we'll discuss why exactly Hanzo took up the reigns here when the time comes. For now, enjoy the true hero of Japan: this not-at-all-blacksmith