Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Something something insurance scam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Confirmed that it's just a bunch of cardboard waste they set on fire

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Oh hey, Tesla's factory in Fremont caught fire and exploded.

https://twitter.com/authorgutierrez/status/1032791896593035264

Now just to collect the insurance money. You did mail our insurance check, right Elon?

*Elon backs away on his segway and takes off*

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
wow this saboteur never rests

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Not all the model 3 undercarriages, now how can they finish building them :ohdear:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Why are they burning their own stock certificates?

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Is this the production tent? Or some other tent.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 24, 2018

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Gamesguy posted:

Is this the production tent? Or some other tent.

Oh hey, lets have a fire hazard near a production facility, what could go wrong?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Puncturing battery cases finally came back to bite them.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

I'm starting to get near to replacing my car and am considering a EV, since I have a place to put a charger and hate car maintenance.

My Electric Car Range Concern™ is that during ski season I drive from SF up to Tahoe every couple weekends or so and that seems dubious in electric. Would have to stop and charge in Sacramento which would eliminate any possibility of beating traffic, and battery+cold+uphill+possibly getting stuck for hours if someone spins and needs to be towed don't seem like a good combo.

Can't put chains on a rental without voiding insurance, and AWD rentals don't come with snow tires. Only thing I can see is bus or mooching off friends.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Foxfire_ posted:

I'm starting to get near to replacing my car and am considering a EV, since I have a place to put a charger and hate car maintenance.
Yeah, even with something like the Bolt or a Tesla, the combination of hills, ice and that distance make a pure EV a crapshoot.

Have you thought of a PHEV like the Volt? It would give you a gas backup for when the battery life craps out. Admittedly, on a SF to Tahoe trip it'd be mainly ICE driven, but it might do for your day to day driving.

Your situation is basically the model for "family that owns an ev for daily driving, ICE car for road tripping"

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
There's a supercharger in Rocklin literally 30 seconds off 80 and 10-20 minutes would get you to the peak and back to the Rocklin charger. Beating traffic isn't a thing during ski season, you just slightly adjust how much it sucks.

Also what he said about having 2 cars.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I would buy a leaf and a snow capable car truck SUV. I guess having to smog them and park them could be a problem.

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010
I plan to run the ER Model 3 as my only car during the winter living in Canada. I was concerned about getting stuck in some terrible snow storm on the highway for hours without heat, but I watched the Norwegian Bjorn Tesla video where he sleeps in his car unplugged in camper mode - he ended up draining around 1.5kWh to keep his Model X warm when parked. Based on those figures, I think the Model 3 could probably keep warm for about 24 hours with half battery left, which seems really good and alleviates my fear - i'll do some testing when it gets real cold around here.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Deathreaper posted:

I plan to run the ER Model 3 as my only car during the winter living in Canada. I was concerned about getting stuck in some terrible snow storm on the highway for hours without heat, but I watched the Norwegian Bjorn Tesla video where he sleeps in his car unplugged in camper mode - he ended up draining around 1.5kWh to keep his Model X warm when parked. Based on those figures, I think the Model 3 could probably keep warm for about 24 hours with half battery left, which seems really good and alleviates my fear - i'll do some testing when it gets real cold around here.

It'll sure keep you warm when it catches fire.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Deathreaper posted:

Running the HVAC (even the heater,) takes a lot less energy than pushing the thing down the highway at 70mph.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Foxfire_ posted:

My Electric Car Range Concern™ is that during ski season I drive from SF up to Tahoe every couple weekends or so and that seems dubious in electric. Would have to stop and charge in Sacramento which would eliminate any possibility of beating traffic, and battery+cold+uphill+possibly getting stuck for hours if someone spins and needs to be towed don't seem like a good combo.

Can't put chains on a rental without voiding insurance, and AWD rentals don't come with snow tires. Only thing I can see is bus or mooching off friends.

The Model 3 has been available with AWD for a while now. Everything else I've seen that would offer AWD (either presently or coming soon) is in roughly the same price range as the Model S. How soon would you be looking to buy, and with what budget?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
It rarely gets bad enough that AWD and all seasons aren't enough to get from a parking spot to the freeway and off the hill, either.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Any variety of tesla is more than I would want to spend. Realistically, I'll probably just keep my current car ('06 civic) till after this ski season and replace it in the spring/get a leaf or bolt and go up in rentals when there's no chain control on the pass (or go with friends since the one with a snow tires+AWD SUV is more likely to want to go as the weather gets worse).

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

LOL jk - Elon Musk

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/24/business/elon-musk-tesla-public.html

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Hah, he's still getting sued for that 420 stunt.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xFji9-xgMw
I hope if I ever do anything kickin'-rad that there are a Hollywood-level number of angles on it like this

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
I've got a Zoe on loan. Would make a nice second car. Unfortunately I could buy 4 Twingos or 2 Clios for the same price so it makes zero financial sense. They are asking 35 k€ (tax free ~27.5 k€).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ulf posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xFji9-xgMw
I hope if I ever do anything kickin'-rad that there are a Hollywood-level number of angles on it like this

Two words: chaser drones.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

DoLittle posted:

I've got a Zoe on loan. Would make a nice second car. Unfortunately I could buy 4 Twingos or 2 Clios for the same price so it makes zero financial sense. They are asking 35 k€ (tax free ~27.5 k€).

..and you have to lease the battery for 50-100 euros a month depending on km traveled.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

Sounds pretty awesome to me. I'd use it camping for sure. Also, would be nice to have a tire pump that you could just plug into your car to put air in your tires.

You are aware there are 12v compressors that you can in fact plug into your car and inflate your tires, right?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

You are aware there are 12v compressors that you can in fact plug into your car and inflate your tires, right?

Of course! I mean... what kind of idiot wouldn't know that!

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

Of course! I mean... what kind of idiot wouldn't know that!

Here is the one I put in my bolt in the foam area with the charger. Doesn't take up any extra space and nice to have in the car.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00825GNWE

ClassH fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 29, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

FilthyImp posted:

Hah, he's still getting sued for that 420 stunt.

Also now has the NLRB suing Tesla for Musk saying they'd pull employees stock options of they chose to unionize.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
And sued for, again, doubling down on the pedo accusation.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

MrOnBicycle posted:

..and you have to lease the battery for 50-100 euros a month depending on km traveled.

I don’t think so, I don’t see any mention of such arrangment. They offer it with 72 month finance with zero downpayment and 0% APR at 486€/month.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

DoLittle posted:

I don’t think so, I don’t see any mention of such arrangment. They offer it with 72 month finance with zero downpayment and 0% APR at 486€/month.

Oh ok. IIRC most Zoe's are bought without the battery and people lease them (which is what's stopping me buying one second hand). I think the battery is something like €8k. For me, leasing the battery would never make sense. The battery lease by itself is more than I spend on gas every month at the moment. But I still really want one. Very fun to drive in town and it's probably the best looking small EV on the market. I'd have to have the Bose edition though, the lower specs felt incredibly cheap. The newer models are much better than for example the 2015 one. Shockingly poor interior quality in those.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
They don’t even offer the Bose level here, which might explain the price difference. This one is ”Intens”, one step down from Bose I guess.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
An interesting rumor given that H-D is releasing a production EV in the next year:

quote:

Harley-Davidson and Alta Motors Are Parting Ways

It was just six months ago that we broke the news about Harley-Davidson investing in electric motorcycle maker Alta Motors, and now in that short timeframe that story has seemingly made a 180° turn.

Our sources tell us that Harley-Davidson has all but removed itself from its joint motorcycle project with Alta, and backed out of its involvement in the San Francisco startup.

For Alta, this means losing the backing of a strategic investor, as well as the resources that Harley-Davidson wields in the motorcycle industry when it comes to purchasing power and vehicle development.

For the Bar & Shield brand, this raises interesting questions about Harley-Davidson’s electric roadmap, which the company revealed just one month ago – not so subtly with a concept sketch that clearly showed the use of an Alta Motors battery pack.

... snip ...

EDIT: For the 90% of you that don't care about motorcycles: Harley-Davidson is starting to struggle as its fan base dies off but has had trouble attracting younger buyers as their fans are pathologically averse to anything new or exciting. A few months ago they showed they're making a big bet on reinventing themselves, announcing several EVs and many other motorcycle types that H-D lovers aren't known to care for.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 31, 2018

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Happy Zoe owner checking in, I got mine used (2.5 years old, so has the 2015 tweaks) for £6700 and lease the battery. And this, it turns out, was during a bit of a price spike as they're often seen for 5-6k. Put simply, my budget wouldn't have stretched to spending an extra £5k or so to own the battery so I just see the £49/month as exactly what it is, leasing part of what would've been a pricier car, with a guaranteed 70% capacity (currently 98%) and a recovery service if something breaks or I run out of electrons. Admittedly, I do hope that if I keep it for a while they'll eventually let me buy out the battery for a reasonable price, but realistically I'm not expecting that to happen within the 8.5 years it'd take for them to receive £5000 in monthly payments (if I keep it that long).

The smart thing would've been to wait a few more years and get something battery-owned and that isn't AC-only which is the Betamax of rapid charging standards (I say rapid, mine's the 22kW model which is technically called 'fast') but I'm not smart and as they say "YOLO".... I was excited and impatient to be part of the revolution and all that. At the end of the day it costs me exactly the same as it used to cost me in fuel and tax (but more in upkeep as I'll be extending the warranty) so I'm not too bothered.

No regrets so far, loving it, it's a heck of a lot of car for the money IMO with all the bells and whistles :) Though I do tend to stay within range most of the time and charge at home, and take the train for long distance, but it's doable with planning. I might have regrets if let's say all the neglected and half-working Ecotricity chargers disappeared from the motorway services one day and got replaced with DC-only Instavolt units, but IIRC there are laws coming in to require all EVs to be catered for so they'd have to provide AC of some sort, as reluctant as they may be. I'd get by as AC is here to stay for the foreseeable future at destinations, it'd just be super inconvenient to have to come off the motorway and beg at some hotel reception to use their charger in order to progress, so for that reason I hope AC rapid (or at least 22kW sited at the same place as rapids) sticks around.

Don't think my mates are too keen, with it being 22kW charging and ~80 mile range. I have a very relaxed attitude towards stopping off to charge - happy to go have a coffee, stretch my legs, catch a few pokemon, etc. They see it more (like normal people) as "sitting around for half an hour not making progress". Most people can't abide by that. A problem that will basically go away as newer models bring the range up to match the maximum most people do in a day and everyone just charges at destinations.

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Aug 31, 2018

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Ulf posted:

An interesting rumor given that H-D is releasing a production EV in the next year:

EDIT: For the 90% of you that don't care about motorcycles: Harley-Davidson is starting to struggle as its fan base dies off but has had trouble attracting younger buyers as their fans are pathologically averse to anything new or exciting. A few months ago they showed they're making a big bet on reinventing themselves, announcing several EVs and many other motorcycle types that H-D lovers aren't known to care for.

Speaking as an engineer in Wisconsin though, I half suspect that it's more that they're taking the rest of it in-house, given the sheer quantity of EV-related engineering jobs they've been posting and filling.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
pics of the production Harley-Davidson LiveWire are out now. You might have already seen a bike from them called LiveWire, but that was a concept/demo model 4 years ago, here's the real thing: https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/first-rides-tests/harley-davidson-livewire-first-ride-/

Looks like it has a CCS charger, fingers crossed that this forces Zero to get in the L3 game.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 31, 2018

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ergos look a bit cramped and it doesn't seem quite touring friendly, but otherwise I'd say that looks pretty good.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It looks like it's trying to appeal to the import bikes out there, and it's not a bad look to distinguish the line from "fat white boomer weekend warrior" poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ulf posted:

pics of the production Harley-Davidson LiveWire are out now. You might have already seen a bike from them called LiveWire, but that was a concept/demo model 4 years ago, here's the real thing: https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/first-rides-tests/harley-davidson-livewire-first-ride-/

Looks like it has a CCS charger, fingers crossed that this forces Zero to get in the L3 game.

Still no word on range, power, price, or anything that's actually relevant to ownership. The prototype version I think could travel 40 miles? Zeros still struggle to break 100 highway miles with the biggest battery, and they're far smaller and lighter than the Livewire appears to be.

I mean I suppose that's fine for Harley's target market of people who ride to the bar 15 miles away once a week but just ugh.