Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

That's the opposite of a cool idea, since they're a selfish shithead essentially claiming public property for their own personal use. It could be funny if random strangers kept showing up to fast charge on their station for free and block their attempt to de facto privatize public property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
it would be cool and good if the city just made like every third parking space with a charger

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
One issue in a city like NYC is that groups like Transportation Alternatives are against all private cars and support walking, biking and public transport so advocating for private EVs (as opposed to public transport EVs) is going to get pushback from a number of groups.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 2, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it would be cool and good if the city just made like every third parking space with a charger
LA is kind of doing this. Every now and then you'll see a big banner on a light post that says EV Charging and, once you log in with an app, a charge cable drops down/panel opens for you to charge.

As with all public EV poo poo, I think the biggest concern is upkeep.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Help me out EV thread.

When a battery is rated in kWh what does that mean. Take the Model 3 for example with a 75kWh battery. Does that mean it can provide 75 kWs for 1 hour? If said Model 3 had the a 240v plug and I wanted to power a tool that runs 3.6kW would the battery power it for 20ish hours?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Help me out EV thread.

When a battery is rated in kWh what does that mean. Take the Model 3 for example with a 75kWh battery. Does that mean it can provide 75 kWs for 1 hour? If said Model 3 had the a 240v plug and I wanted to power a tool that runs 3.6kW would the battery power it for 20ish hours?

Yes, not accounting for losses and reserved top/bottom end and assuming it can actually output 75kW

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

gwrtheyrn posted:

Yes, not accounting for losses and reserved top/bottom end and assuming it can actually output 75kW

K thanks.

Just wanted to understand the broad strokes.

With the F150 hyrbid coming out with a 7.2kW power station in the tail, my team is humming on wanting to get one to power some of our heavier tools without needing jobsite power or a genny. The truck only has a 1.5 kWh battery though so I'm guessing it just uses the gas engine to power it which doesn't really add any cool factor. Hence trying to understand the math on how the same thing would work on a full BEV truck when one finally comes out. Want to make sure we can run our tools all day and still have enough range to drive home at the end of the day.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Sounds like you’ve got it.

Power draw from your tools will be so many kW, times the number of hours of use equals kWh. If it’s something variable like a saw then it’ll only draw that while spinning, etc.

Then driving the thing will work out to something like 300Wh per mile, dependent on vehicle and speed but you can still come up with a good rule of thumb.

With that you can do the math and see how many kWh you need to get through the day. Add 10%(? not sure) for efficiency losses. Add 25% for winter days.

Fully electric trucks are going to have monster 150kWh batteries so there should be plenty of range, biggest issue will probably be keeping them topped off with your 6kW garage charger.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 2, 2020

Ixpodsix
Dec 4, 2008
I don't know if this channel is legitimate, but I sure like watching this guy try to tip over or drift a Polestar 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4vdXgx0mL0

I've reserved one of these for a delivery in September. What's the general feeling on the Polestar 2?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Ulf posted:

Sounds like you’ve got it.

Power draw from your tools will be so many kW, times the number of hours of use equals kWh. If it’s something variable like a saw then it’ll only draw that while spinning, etc.

Then driving the thing will work out to something like 300Wh per mile, dependent on vehicle and speed but you can still come up with a good rule of thumb.

With that you can do the math and see how many kWh you need to get through the day. Add 10%(? not sure) for efficiency losses. Add 25% for winter days.

Fully electric trucks are going to have monster 150kWh batteries so there should be plenty of range, biggest issue will probably be keeping them topped off with your 6kW garage charger.

That really interesting to consider. A brief internet search is showing that 40amp chargers are available, so as long as the battery doesn't get below 25% at 9kW charger should get it back up to full over 14 hours overnight in the shop.

Man I can't wait to never have to waste time at gas stations with the trucks ever again.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

SpaceCadetBob posted:

That really interesting to consider. A brief internet search is showing that 40amp chargers are available, so as long as the battery doesn't get below 25% at 9kW charger should get it back up to full over 14 hours overnight in the shop.

Man I can't wait to never have to waste time at gas stations with the trucks ever again.

Well there are a lot more than 40amp chargers, but >50 amp circuits aren't really common in houses, and a lot of cars won't even do more than ~7kw on lvl2 right now.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Ixpodsix posted:

I don't know if this channel is legitimate, but I sure like watching this guy try to tip over or drift a Polestar 2.

I've reserved one of these for a delivery in September. What's the general feeling on the Polestar 2?
Specwise it's so closely competing with the 3 and so the Polestar 2 with Performance Pack was on my short list along with the Model 3. I really like the overall size and respectable range and speed specs on it and I'm hoping that since it comes from a traditional automaker the QC will be better than Tesla. However, I didn't want to be a first adopter on a new model car with very limited independent review information. I need a car by August so I couldn't wait to see what the reviews of the first Polestars were like.

EDIT: My VIN just showed up randomly on my Tesla page with no notice or communication from anyone so I could at least get the insurance sorted. Waiting on the delivery scheduling text message now.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 2, 2020

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Bonus - you now have an upgraded 50 amp circuit with an NMEA 14-50 plug in the garage for your welder.

Worked for me, at least.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

gwrtheyrn posted:

PHEV's being a 'dead end' doesn't mean they're useless in the grand scheme as people have pointed out. That being said, the rav4 prime after tax credits is basically the same price as the bolt/kona/leaf+/niro and actually more expensive than the regular hybrid. The prius prime/ioniq phev/clarity on the other hand are (msrp) price competitive with the regular hybrid variants and only the base model leaf and ioniq bevs are at that price in the US.

The rav 4 prime starts at 39k, while the id4 is looking like it’s going to cost 35k on the low end. I just think that as EV adoption rises and people see that a full ev doesn’t have to be a compromise anymore, that anyone willing to buy a phev will be willing to buy a bev. I know if the Volt wasn’t available when I got mine I would have went for a Bolt. Otherwise they may just opt for an ice vehicle, but in 5-10 years when they want to retire that car just imagine how much further EV tech will be. I just think with what GM, VW and Tesla in particular are working on is way more exciting than a rav4 that should have been here 5 years ago.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Ixpodsix posted:

This is my personal opinion - I sat in it at a preview event last year. Was my first choice until I saw the price and the fact that you can't option it down to a 40k range car. Really nice interior, haven't driven it but the specs are kinda close-ish to Tesla's Model 3 LR model. People who single-spec shop will say it's less range and horsepower over a Model 3, but that doesn't really matter because it's an actual luxury car and that's where the extra price comes from. It feels like an actual luxury car inside, and has an actual list of luxury car features like a powered liftgate (trunk only), lights that turn with you and all that fancy stuff you'd expect out of a Volvo. Most people who compare it 1:1 to the Model 3 don't really understand that. It's also got a heated steering wheel and actual loving handles that will work in the cold.

While I haven't driven it, design wise, it feels like if the Volt was made into a BEV and by a luxury brand, this would be it. Same fastback design. There's a big indent in the trunk where the rear motor sits (not in the trunk, but in the false floor trunk like Model 3s have). The hood has a manual release (!!!) and is made of steel (!!!) so you can't accidentally dent it like a Model 3. Headroom is a little rough in the back, but it didn't bother me (I'm 5'10"). It has a console shifter instead of a column shifter, if that's any concern for you. But it's also aggressively European in having only one easily accessible cup holder. You need to fold the arm rest up to access the second one.

It's made at a brand new factory in Shanghai, so I wouldn't count the quality just yet until it's had a model year or two. Considering I work in Fremont and I'd rather the tiny portion of new car money that goes to the employees go to local workers rather than all overseas. The CCS network north of the bay area is kinda shoddy though, while Tesla has very good support. That's unfortunately important to me since my parents live up towards the border. It's also getting a brand new vehicle operating system, Android Automotive (that's not a fancy title, it's different from Android Auto - it's the whole car's UX). Android Automotive looks really slick and fully integrates with your Google account.

The glass roof is loving beautiful and the Polestar branding is really adorbs on it. If you're thinking about it, I would seriously consider it. The plant based seating material is really nice feeling, it's like extremely high quality cloth.

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 2, 2020

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Hexigrammus posted:

Bonus - you now have an upgraded 50 amp circuit with an NMEA 14-50 plug in the garage for your welder.

Worked for me, at least.

I went the opposite direction but same result. Instead of installing a 30amp circuit for my welder I did a 50amp breaker with 6/3 wire and just have the neutral sitting in the box with a wire nut on it. Overkill for the welder but I'm ready to charge an ev at some point in the future when I get one.

Ixpodsix
Dec 4, 2008

Westy543 posted:

This is my personal opinion - I sat in it at a preview event last year. Was my first choice until I saw the price and the fact that you can't option it down to a 40k range car. Really nice interior, haven't driven it but the specs are kinda close-ish to Tesla's Model 3 LR model. People who single-spec shop will say it's less range and horsepower over a Model 3, but that doesn't really matter because it's an actual luxury car and that's where the extra price comes from. It feels like an actual luxury car inside, and has an actual list of luxury car features like a powered liftgate (trunk only), lights that turn with you and all that fancy stuff you'd expect out of a Volvo. Most people who compare it 1:1 to the Model 3 don't really understand that. It's also got a heated steering wheel and actual loving handles that will work in the cold.

While I haven't driven it, design wise, it feels like if the Volt was made into a BEV and by a luxury brand, this would be it. Same fastback design. There's a big indent in the trunk where the rear motor sits (not in the trunk, but in the false floor trunk like Model 3s have). The hood has a manual release (!!!) and is made of steel (!!!) so you can't accidentally dent it like a Model 3. Headroom is a little rough in the back, but it didn't bother me (I'm 5'10"). It has a console shifter instead of a column shifter, if that's any concern for you. But it's also aggressively European in having only one easily accessible cup holder. You need to fold the arm rest up to access the second one.

It's made at a brand new factory in Shanghai, so I wouldn't count the quality just yet until it's had a model year or two. Considering I work in Fremont and I'd rather the tiny portion of new car money that goes to the employees go to local workers rather than all overseas. The CCS network north of the bay area is kinda shoddy though, while Tesla has very good support. That's unfortunately important to me since my parents live up towards the border. It's also getting a brand new vehicle operating system, Android Automotive (that's not a fancy title, it's different from Android Auto - it's the whole car's UX). Android Automotive looks really slick and fully integrates with your Google account.

The glass roof is loving beautiful and the Polestar branding is really adorbs on it. If you're thinking about it, I would seriously consider it. The plant based seating material is really nice feeling, it's like extremely high quality cloth.

This is all perfect for reinforcing my own thoughts about it. I didn't consider the QC implications of a new factory. It looks like Norway/Sweden are getting deliveries next month so maybe we'll get some impressions soon.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
All the streetlights in my little town have power outlets in them anyway to power the christmas decorations they put up every winter. Why can't they just make them available to everyone so people who cant charge at home can charge in the streets? They're only tiny 240V Schuko plugs but its better than nothing.
Yes i know, it would cost money and we can't have that.
Also, someone would probably try to plug his whole house into one and ruin it for everyone...

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Think of the worst case scenario, and assume it's going to happen immediately and repeatedly.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Loucks posted:

That's the opposite of a cool idea, since they're a selfish shithead essentially claiming public property for their own personal use. It could be funny if random strangers kept showing up to fast charge on their station for free and block their attempt to de facto privatize public property.
I'm assuming, there is some kind of shut-off disconnect inside the house. If it weren't for the signs, I applaud the idea. And the signs are actually gone, according to the latest Google maps image. So it's just a private charger on a public street.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The entire US road network is a crumbling mess so anyone expecting governments to install and maintain a massive EV charging networks is probably going to be disappointed.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

SpaceCadetBob posted:

it just uses the gas engine to power it which doesn't really add any cool factor.

I think this is still pretty useful, the truck will no doubt cycle the engine off and on to keep the battery topped up. It'll probably be more efficient, quieter and less of a pain in the rear end to deal with than a portable generator. My house has a 30 amp 240v hookup for power outages we keep a generator on now, being able to plug a truck in instead of dealing with that would be sweet. 30+ gallons of fuel in the tank of a truck idling half of the time would last forever.

Travel Trailer owners are going to love those trucks.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

sanchez posted:

I think this is still pretty useful, the truck will no doubt cycle the engine off and on to keep the battery topped up. It'll probably be more efficient, quieter and less of a pain in the rear end to deal with than a portable generator. My house has a 30 amp 240v hookup for power outages we keep a generator on now, being able to plug a truck in instead of dealing with that would be sweet. 30+ gallons of fuel in the tank of a truck idling half of the time would last forever.

Travel Trailer owners are going to love those trucks.

Oh yea, don't get me wrong, the product looks really awesome. My team in strongly considering getting one, though we might wait and hope they throw the same thing in a hybrid Transit next year which is way more useful to us than a pickup.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I’m not sure it’d be more efficient than a generator considering generators are designed for precisely that purpose but the main issue id have with it is you’re running the motor on a 60,000 dollar truck all the time instead of a $500 or $1000 generator.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

bird with big dick posted:

I’m not sure it’d be more efficient than a generator considering generators are designed for precisely that purpose but the main issue id have with it is you’re running the motor on a 60,000 dollar truck all the time instead of a $500 or $1000 generator.
Generator is also much more portable than a truck.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Ixpodsix posted:

Ouch, a reviewer from China calling Model 3 workmanship "rough."
Neat that it's a little tail-happy with the stability control off.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Shouldn't Bum the Sad have received their Model Y by now? We need an unboxing video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lER98RS88yM

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

Shouldn't Bum the Sad have received their Model Y by now? We need an unboxing video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lER98RS88yM

Someone should make a checklist for him to go over before signing the release. Don't forget to bring a pitcher of water!

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Someone should make a checklist for him to go over before signing the release. Don't forget to bring a pitcher of water!
I am going to bring a thermos of water with me to my delivery. Don't judge me.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I would just stand on the trunk and piss on the roof

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I know it's called a "golden shower" and all, but if you piss on a turd it's still a turd.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
They hosed up the temp tags(sent the stat my expires 6/31 insurance card and not the starts 7/1 card I sent them twice). I was supposed to pick it up yesterday but now I’m going in at 4. I stopped to visit it on the way home.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
They seem pretty confident they have a model 3 locked in for me, but I haven't heard if it is on its way or not. Last update I heard was "Still on schedule to get here the 16th" with my "placeholder" delivery day on the 18th. So I guess it is just sitting in a lot in California for the next week+ until they load it on a truck.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

What color and trim did you get? I'll go down the street and see if there's one with "Indiana_Krom" on it.

So does Tesla actually fix these sun roofs, or do they just say you're straight outta luck?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
You play the tesla lottery, they take it back and you wait for a new one, or they'll try to sell you on fixing the defects.

I ordered a model 3 long range and had it for less than 5 days before giving it back to them due to poor manufacturing defects. Waste of my loving time.

Bought a BMW M2 instead and it's 1000x better than that piece of poo poo tesla.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

What issues did your car have? I'm curious what they managed to gently caress up.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Nitr0 posted:

Tesla's QC issues aside, those are two very different cars. Sounds like you wanted a sports coupe instead.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Paint peeling, unaligned door panels, something was wrong with the touch screen you'd have to "soft reboot" to get it to come back to responsiveness.

Didn't notice if water poured into thru the roof cause it never rained in the time I had it.

Just a buggy car, I felt like a beta tester and for the amount of money I was spending I was pissed to sit there and troubleshoot my brand new car.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Tesla's QC issues aside, those are two very different cars. Sounds like you wanted a sports coupe instead.

I wanted a car I could stomp the gas and go fast. Battery was secondary I don't much care about gas costs.

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 2, 2020

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Nitr0 posted:

Paint peeling, unaligned door panels, something was wrong with the touch screen you'd have to "soft reboot" to get it to come back to responsiveness.

Didn't notice if water poured into thru the roof cause it never rained in the time I had it.

Just a buggy car, I felt like a beta tester and for the amount of money I was spending I was pissed to sit there and troubleshoot my brand new car.

Yeah that's pretty reasonable to return it honestly. drat, that sucks rear end. Just shows their silicon valley business mentality at its finest - get the minimum viable product out, fix it later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Nitr0 posted:

Congrats on the M2. I just sold mine due to the fact that it had barely been driven in months, but they’re a riot.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

The model 3 is fast enough to qualify as a sport sedan and they’re in the same price bracket, so it’s not that strange that people would cross shop them. If you want a smallish, fast car for about 60k there aren’t a ton of good options.