Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I bought a car that wasn't my first choice because of the sad face my GF pulled when she thought me and the dealer had stalled in negotiations and I was walking away.

I now have made the mistake of introducing her to the Renault Zoe, but like I said a couple of pages ago, I'm not paying $40k for a small electric car with bare minimum equipment. It was fun to drive though..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

DoLittle posted:

I've got a Zoe on loan. Would make a nice second car. Unfortunately I could buy 4 Twingos or 2 Clios for the same price so it makes zero financial sense. They are asking 35 k€ (tax free ~27.5 k€).

..and you have to lease the battery for 50-100 euros a month depending on km traveled.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

DoLittle posted:

I don’t think so, I don’t see any mention of such arrangment. They offer it with 72 month finance with zero downpayment and 0% APR at 486€/month.

Oh ok. IIRC most Zoe's are bought without the battery and people lease them (which is what's stopping me buying one second hand). I think the battery is something like €8k. For me, leasing the battery would never make sense. The battery lease by itself is more than I spend on gas every month at the moment. But I still really want one. Very fun to drive in town and it's probably the best looking small EV on the market. I'd have to have the Bose edition though, the lower specs felt incredibly cheap. The newer models are much better than for example the 2015 one. Shockingly poor interior quality in those.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Three Olives posted:

Because consumers are idiots, the average person that can afford a new electric car does not have a massive commute or really drive that much at all much less cross country. Range anxiety is not a technical problem, it’s an education problem not solved by sticking fast chargers out in the middle of nowhere.

Range anxiety is only one part of the problems EVs have to overcome. Infrastructure and cost are bigger problems. Especially in cities (where and EV makes the most sense but is the hardest to make work as a daily). It might be different in the US, but if I'd buy an EV in my country I'd be left with a car that has the interior quality/sound proofing that equivalent to a economy car. Except I'm paying 4x the money for the pleasure of driving an EV. I won't ever see any savings on fuel that will offset the huge cost compared to what a car of equal comfort/quality would get me.

I tried and loved the Renault Zoe, but unless you go for the absolute top trim with "leather" seats, it's lovely plastic and lovely fabric all over. I've never sat in a car that felt as cheap. For the same price I can get a top spec Mazda 6 and use the left over money to fuel it for years. Cars that aren't even comparable in anything except price.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Ola posted:

Think of your situation as a point on a descending curve of cost. A few years ago, the economics was much worse for your case. In a few years, it will be much better.

Which is exactly why I'm holding off on buying an EV until they become reasonably priced compared to an ICE car. Won't be buying any new ICE car neither. I'd rather save that money for when a nice EV shows up.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Ola posted:

You're basically waiting for the used market to pick up. I think EV depreciation will be quite hard once supply is high and gradually better and better models are introduced. But right now, in Norway at least, they're holding up very well since demand is so high. If you want the most economical solution, become your username. :v:

Maybe, but the cars aren't that good right now anyway. I don't mind buying something that's good and paying for it. What I don't like is overpaying for something that I won't be happy with.
I am my username, good for the health and takes less time than finding a parking spot and the having to pay for it. :)

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Ola posted:

In a slight surprise, Citröen PSA is releasing an EV, the DS 3 Crossback. Small crossover with a 50 kWh battery, list price less than the Hyundai Kona.

You had me very excited until I read Crossback and then I googled it and ... yeah.. no. :(

I absolutely love the look of the "normal" DS3. Especially before when it was Citroen. My dad had a Yellow one that was loved by everyone.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFr5Sm8KE5E

I love this.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I wish they wouldn't put the ultra eco low resistance tires on some EV's. Loud and don't feel very safe. When I test drove the Hyundai IoniQ I got ABS engagement and could hear traction loss for doing a slightly hard brake for some idiot that pulled out in front of me. At 40km/h... In the dry. Tires were in good shape as well.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Elephanthead posted:

But that isn't where the noise comes from? Other cars have working transmissions, well not the leaf but american cars have engines so oversized they can highway cruise at idle.

Both EVs I have test driven have been loud at speeds above 70km/h. Most likely a combination of lovely eco tires and the absolute minimum of sound deadening required. Unbearable for to the price. Most of the noise from cars on the outside is tire roar as well. Ever had a car with 19"+ rims drive by? I never hear an engine except if it's some sportcar or someone doing an aggressive pull. As a comparison, Teslas that pass (especially the X) drown out anything close to them.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
The Confederacy Volt was pretty nice start though, if not a proper EV.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

RZA Encryption posted:

Most people just can't comprehend the gas savings. I spent the equivalent of several months worth of charging on two weeks of gas for the rental suv I just had.

They're just used to spending that much. I was appalled.

Likewise, people completely overestimate the savings they'll see getting a more fuel efficient car. IF (big if) you need a new car, buying a as fuel efficient car as possible makes total sense. However, (and this probably isn't at all as common in the US where gas is cheap) people here in Sweden can get extremely blinded by claimed fuel savings. They see 4L/100km combined and go "WOW, time for a new car so I'll save money!" after gas prices have been high. Problem is though, they likely already drive a pretty fuel efficient car and the 1-2L/100km real life fuel savings will likely never be enough to offset the cost of the new car and opportunity cost.

Edit: 0.4L/100km =/= 4L/100km

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Dec 9, 2018

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
^^ Shame you all don't get many estates in the US. Best of both worlds IMO.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm driving a 15-year-old Civic hybrid pretty much for this reason. The drat thing never breaks, which makes it hard to justify dropping cash on a new vehicle. I spent $12k on it a decade ago, and the only major maintenance it's required (aside from regular fluids stuff and new tires) was replacing the hybrid battery a few years ago, which cost a couple grand. I paid cash, but if I amortize the purchase price and major maintenance over the life of the vehicle, and add routine maintenance and gas costs, I'm effectively paying like $250/month for the thing, only ~$60 of which is gas (still getting about 35MPG, or 8L/100km). It's pretty hard to improve on that with a new car!

Of course the new car would probably be more comfortable, have better performance, look nicer, etc. But I mostly just need something to take me and mine from point A to point B.

I just bought a $8k 2011 car. Looks great, comfortable, I average 5.5-6.5L/100km (~40 USMPG) cruising at 100-120km/h. (60-75mph) with 170hp. Will outperform most other cars I see on the road in Sweden HP wise. It's not a fast car, but very adequate and when most cars here do 0-100km/h in 9-11 seconds, it doesn't matter that much.

Personally I'm in the "do not want fixed monthly costs", and prefer to be as liquid as possible. Of course everything can be spread out to a theoretical monthly cost. But a theoretical monthly cost on something that's already been saved up and paid for it a hell of a lot easier to live with than an actual monthly cost that you can't get away from. That's also why I don't like the battery lease schemes that every second hand Zoe here has.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'm a sucker for blue cars and that's just so nice looking. The white one looks very nice as well.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
In the future, movies will have people aim for the bottom of the car, and the car instantly blow up.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Wibla posted:

Not having to worry about what days gas is cheaper is pretty nice. But it's pretty annoying to not have a charging outlet at home.

I find it kinda hilarious that this is a thing in the US.... where gas is cheap and people commute in giant trucks that use twice what most Europeans cars do.
Range is only a big deal in EVs because of how long it takes to charge. If/when EVs get down to sub 5 minutes or so for at least 80%, no one will care anymore.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
This is the worst thread.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

My man have you even seen the F1 thread?

No but oh god I can only imagine...

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I know this is a bit of old (probably, I've just woken up from fever and flu) news, but my god do I want this Tesla estate:

Shame it's a one off.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
They could have geniuses that tell you that you have to buy a new car as it'll be cheaper than to fix the rusted brake rotors once the car is out of warranty.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Either way - as soon as EV make out any significant part of the market they'll find ways to tax them because there is no way governments will miss out on that juicy tax money from fuel usage. Especially in countries with high fuel taxes.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

MomJeans420 posted:

I never really paid attention to them before, but I got stuck next to a Model X in traffic yesterday and holy gently caress are they ugly

Yeah the rear end is just so bad looking. I was very disappointed in the Model 3 I saw the other day. Looks odd. I like the Model S's though.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
For the Model 3 owners:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtCTu8wwL5o

Be careful not to use suction cups etc on the plastic vinyl wrapped center console.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I dunno about the US, but people in Scandinavia have been using cabin heaters and block heaters for ages to get the cars nice and comfortable / the engine up to temp.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

RZA Encryption posted:

They're testing the BEV busses near me! Hope we get one on my route.

This embed doesn't show on my app:
https://i.imgur.com/X1NlAIc.mp4

Direct link: https://imgur.com/X1NlAIc

We recently got BEV busses in my city. I'd take 1 buss over 100 cars any day. The drat noise pollution from buses is insane. Nice to ride on as well.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Eh. The "dirty electricity" argument against hydrogen is pretty bad. At ton of EVs are powered by dirty electricity as well. That gets solved the same way it's solved for EVs. It's a shame about the inherent problems of hydrogen, because the possibilities are far greater than the EV itself.

Also, no reason they can't coexist. Personal vehicles might be better suited for being EVs, but commercial vehicles might need hydrogen fueling to reduce the downtime. Might be why it's being tested on buses or trains where it's more expensive to build the electric infrastructure needed.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Wibla posted:

Have you looked at the energy used per mile driven? If not, you should.

https://insideevs.com/efficiency-compared-battery-electric-73-hydrogen-22-ice-13/

I know. The point was that dirty electricity is something that EVs drive on as well, even if they are much more effective right now. If you mean hydrogen as a concept - well there are many uses outside of the personal vehicle market. Hydrogen trains (which often are hybrids with batteries for storing regen. brake energy) are being trailed and implemented in Europe on stretches, and claimed to be cheaper to run (but more expensive to buy) than diesel trains. Other trains have batteries only for "last miles" application.
Diesel trains are loving disgusting to be around, so I'm happy that hydrogen can step in and cover those routes where it's too expensive to build electric infrastructure. Like I said, there is no reason that both technologies (which intersect) can't be developed parallel to each other.

Ola posted:

Good points all, although "dirty hydrogen" usually means the one derived from natural gas. It might very well work where BEV can't. But I haven't seen it tested that much on bigger vehicles. Nikola has shown very little other than CGI AFAIK, or have I missed anything? There are talks of testing it on boats and ferries here in Norway, but nothing real yet.

If you're using electricity to process stuff anyway, converting waste matter into HVO fuel is another possible scenario, but it might be harder to set up a reliable supply chain then. If you grow too much, you need people to throw more garbage!

Yeah dirty (it really is) hydrogen from natural gas is not idea. Especially from the fracking point. HVO diesel is on the rise (you can actually buy it as a consumer here in Sweden at some locations), and could be a good transitional option for some applications. I like the system we have where I live. Food and burnables is used to make bio gas and power the district heating systems in my city.. I'd also love for boats and ferries to have hydrogen or battery power for when they are in docks or near coats as the emissions are insane. I think there are some hybrid (battery?) ferries though.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 21, 2019

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
MomJeans420: Great info. Thanks. :)

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Duck and Cover posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_naDg-guomA

Yep electric cars totally are not the way to go for long road trips. No being capable of doing them does not make them better than a gas vehicle for doing so.

HubNut tried the I Pace and was very impressed with the car but the charging facilities in the UK are just woeful. There are tons of places to charge, but when you get there they either don't work, charge slow as gently caress or randomly disconnect so you come back after a couple of hours thinking that the car has been charging only find out that it didn't and you are now hosed.
I wonder how much EV adoption has been hosed by the many different ways to charge / obtuse ways of paying / non-working chargers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Fex5mvVFEU

Also: If you like old "lovely" British/European/Japanese cars and very low key videos about them HubNut is pretty chill to watch.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
For Tesla model 3 owners:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTPBVPJ_ZTg

Not tried it myself as I don't own a model 3, but still interestning from a sound deadening perspective. Some dude in the comments claims a 7dB reduction on Florida roads. Didn't say at what speeds though...

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 11:27 on May 14, 2019

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Someone tweet this to Elon so he can promise this will be added to new Teslas sometime in the f u t u r e

I wouldn't, unless you want to be called a pedo.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Bit of a different question, but how does the future look for EVs and not being tracked and data collected upon every time I sit in the car?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'm not interested in buying a new ICE car, hence why I'm asking in this EV thread. Shame to hear that LTE etc is everywhere, but hopefully there will be ways to opt out from being tracked.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Elephanthead posted:

You can buy a used leaf they went with the cheapest modem and cellular network they could find and the network has been shut down so you got that going for you.

Is that the old disgusting-looking Leaf where the battery can't handle cold temperatures?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I test drove an Ioniq EV a couple of years ago, and unless they've improved the sound deadening it's absolutely horrible on rough asphalt. I would also budget for a range hit and put better tires on, the stock ones had ABS go off while braking slightly hard at 40km/h. The tyres were not worn. When going around town it was quiet and nice (very relaxing feeling). It's probably different in the US where leather is more common, but the cloth pattern they had back then is just horrible looking. Otherwise the interior is ok.

Not worth the price as a car, but if you must have an EV and is prepared to eat the EV markup it's ok I guess.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Are there any good websites that keep good track of all the EVs in the pipeline that aren't "caranddriver top 10 EVs coming out in 2020" that's just filled with clickbaity crap and ads? Preferably Euro-focused.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Thanks Ola. :)

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
What about efficiency at higher speeds? Are EV motors as efficient throughout the RPM range?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Hmm, interesting. I've begun to actually like the i3's odd design. Only took several years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
A new Tesla is probably fine, but the thought of buying a second hand out of warranty Model S is terrifying.