Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Awful 'could this be the new Tesla truck?' renders have been popping up in my news feed for a while now and I kept thinking 'even Tesla wouldn't make something that hideous' and then they reveal something substantially worse. I'm impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

It's Franz Von Holzhausen and I'm pretty sure they wont fire the guy who designed all of tesla's lineup.

Considering how awful their lineup looks they probably should fire him. Although I could totally see it all being Elon's fault.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Papercut posted:

That seems about right. It seems explicitly designed to not appeal to people who actually use trucks for truck things.

Strangely it also seems to be designed to not appeal to the people who absolutely must have a truck because <nonsense reason> and they're the ones buying most of the trucks.

The handful of people who actually can and want to buy that thing are going to be really disappointed in a couple years when the production version costs a lot more and looks nothing like the concept. The new one will probably sell really well though. The specs are certainly interesting.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I don't know about the rest of the world but electricity costs in the US are kinda confusing and it really depends on where you're at. You should be able to get a detailed bill or some plan documentation that gives you all the numbers but in the end all that matters is how much you use vs how much you have to pay. All the transmission, distribution, and other charges can far exceed the actual electricity cost. I end up around 14c/kWh.

Portland area using renewable sources:
code:
Basic Charge 11.00 Energy Use Charge (608.000 kWh x $0.06329) 38.48 
Transmission Charge (608.000 kWh x $0.00243) 1.48 
Distribution Charge (608.000 kWh x $0.04662) 28.34 
Green Source [sm] (608.000 kWh  x $0.008) 4.86 
	Subtotal - Energy Charges 84.16 
102 RPA Exchange Credit (608.000 kWh x $-0.00922) 5.61 CR 
105 Regulatory Adjustments (608.000 kWh x $0.00013) 0.08 
109 Energy Efficiency Funding Adj (608.000 kWh x $0.00397) 2.41 
110 Energy Efficiency Customer Svc (608.000 kWh x $0.00006) 0.04 
112  Customer Engagement Transformation Adjustment (608.000 kWh x $0.0003) 0.18 
123 Decoupling Adjustment (608.000 kWh x $0.002) 1.22 
132 Federal Tax Reform Credit (608.000 kWh x $-0.00162) 0.98 CR 
135 Demand Response (608.000 kWh x $0.00044) 0.27 
136 Community Solar Start-Up Cost Recovery (608.000 kWh x $0.00006) 0.04 
137 Solar Payment Option Cost Recov (608.000 kWh x $0.00047) 0.29 
143 Spent Fuel Adjustment (608.000 kWh x $-0.00017) 0.10 CR 
145 Boardman Decommissioning Adj (608.000 kWh x $0.00026) 0.16 
	Subtotal - Adjusting Schedules 2.00 CR 82.16 

Low Income Assistance 0.69 
Public Purpose Charge (3%) 2.39 
	Subtotal - Taxes and Fees 3.08 
		Current Energy Charges 85.24

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

bird with big dick posted:

Your driving habits may be very different than mine but as someone that road trips a lot, on a 332 mile trip I may not have even stopped once and definitely would not have stopped twice.
Yeah, for me driving that distance would involve a single 5 minute stop halfway through to pee. I guess if I was driving through a rural area in the middle of winter I might also get gas to make sure I never got below half a tank but that would only add a few more minutes. I'm noticing a lot of EV trip reports involve 'stopped to charge several times for half an hour but it's cool because we wasted time nearby while the car was charging.' I guess that works for some people but no thanks.

I'm excited for the EV future but not so much the present. Thanks early adopters, your sacrifice probably won't be remembered but I appreciate it anyway.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Duck and Cover posted:

Wow you waste 5 minutes to pee? That's a ridiculous waste of time. While certainly you should have a gas car if long road trips are a thing you do often (as defined by let's say needing to charge more then 20 minutes on a fast charger); I also think not willing to stop for 20 minutes every 2 hours or whatever is you being impatient. Gas is more flexible the longer trips are the more I think that flexibility matters.

Thanks late adopters with insane goal posts for what is required of an electric car. Sorry electric cars aren't better in every way shape and form yet maybe some day!
You're being very pessimistic. With the way things are going I bet we're less than 5 years away from EVs being strictly better than ICE vehicles for virtually all use cases.

I hope that's accurate since I'll probably be looking to replace my daily driver about then.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

A lot of people, maybe even most adults, can't hear the awful high pitched noise many VFDs and such make. Even so there are enough EVs out there that I think there would be a lot of complaining if it was a common issue.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

HONG KONG SLUMLORD posted:

I apologize to you all because I got this on Jalopnik (it’s a bad habit), but the EPA just kinda took a big crap on the Taycan by rating its range at 201 miles. :psyduck:

I know the EPA has a very different testing cycle than the WLTP parameters, but dropping 79 miles between tests is pretty insane. Not sure why the EPA’s test will result in that, but having to put 201 miles on the sticker is gonna be ugly when you compare to the 348(!) mile Model S Performance.

Edit: for those outside the US, the Leaf+ is rated at 215 miles in the same test so, yeah, that’s kinda insane.

The explanation is up now https://jalopnik.com/heres-why-the-porsche-taycan-turbos-epa-range-is-so-bad-1840444842

The short version is the 2 cycle EPA test Porsche used has a .7 derating factor to account for things like bad weather. So the car had the same 280ish mile range in testing but the final number is .7 of that.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Ford already puts 120 volt outlets in a bunch of vehicles including the F-150. I don't think it gets used much by the work truck crowd who always have a generator anyway for the handful of tools that still have a cord. I doubt many contractors want to ditch their generator and power the construction site off their truck. Especially when they may not live anywhere near the site and would need the range to get home.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

The model x is the worst looking car (excluding damaged/modified stuff) I've ever seen in person and the y seems to be about the same. Something about the x just seems off in an unsettling way from every angle. Maybe it's some sort of uncanny valley situation.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Yep. There are charts and formulas with the specifics but increasing cable length may require increasing cable diameter to safely support the same current.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Triggerhappypilot posted:

They also have potentially a lot more political sway through dealers to get permits and powergrid upgrades pushed through if they can convince the dealers to actually want to sell these cars.
This seems like such an obvious thing but I guess it's also a catch 22. Having a captive audience of EV drivers at your dealership all the time would be great if you actually have EVs to sell.

Elviscat posted:

The companies that make the chargers need to put some more loving thought into their industrial design too
I don't have an EV so I don't have any first person experience but a very large portion of the trip reports and EV reviews I've read/watched mention at least one if not multiple broken chargers. I get that the chargers are all fairly new but at the same time they're pretty simple things that haven't been installed very long so the failure rate seems pretty absurd.

This video from Harry's Garage on the Jaguar i-Pace seems far too common. First stop: all the chargers are full, second stop: can't put money into the drat thing, third stop: wrong plug type/broken charger/slow charger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEyfCcAbtKU&t=804s

Galler fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 23, 2020

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

ilkhan posted:

Profits, especially far larger than expected profits, will do that.

Sometimes. Other times analysts take that as a sign that a company has no idea how to forecast so the stock goes down despite record profits. Or it goes down because even though the company did better than they estimated the market still wanted more.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Ola posted:

The huge BMW kidneys is apparently the Chinese market's doing. Which makes sense. If you achieve status by flaunting a logo and there's a billion and a half competitors, the logo needs to be big. I wonder if you can pay extra for shame delete in other markets.

Yeah, just make an Alpina version that's identical except for the grill and badge. Or just sell the hideous version in China and give the rest of the world the normal version.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I'm surprised they didn't do black for the first run. Maybe the shipping container of black rattle cans got delayed?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Charles posted:

Can we capture cow burps?
Kind of

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

We only have roof tile v1.4 in stock which is only compatible with roof tile firmware version 6.7.2 and above. Your v1.1 tile can only be upgraded to 5.3. We can offer you a 5% discount on new set of roof tiles (installation not included) or a prorated refund of $0.67 on the damaged tile.

Thank you for contacting Tesla customer support.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Delays in getting a Y might be a good thing. https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/06/tesla-reportedly-shipping-model-ys-with-significant-manufacturing-defects/

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Hexigrammus posted:

Bonus - you now have an upgraded 50 amp circuit with an NMEA 14-50 plug in the garage for your welder.

Worked for me, at least.

I went the opposite direction but same result. Instead of installing a 30amp circuit for my welder I did a 50amp breaker with 6/3 wire and just have the neutral sitting in the box with a wire nut on it. Overkill for the welder but I'm ready to charge an ev at some point in the future when I get one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Nitr0 posted:

BUT IT STAYS IN ITS OWN LANE ON THE HIGHWAY BEST CAR IVE EVER OWNED"

At least when it doesn't hunger for concrete lane dividers and such.