Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Any good suvs/crossovers/minivans in the pipe that are PHEV or full EV? Probably not much full EV with the size/weight.

Got a bunch of kids and dogs and everything is too small so far. Really hoping Kia does a PHEV minivan or suv as I have a 16 Sorento and it is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Speleothing posted:

There's the Chrysler Pacifica right now today.

Those are interesting for sure, I would like to test drive one! EV mode would easily be enough for work commutes/school drop offs.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I meant to ask earlier when someone mentioned the 12v, so do EVs usually have a regular lead acid battery as well as whatever fancy lithium batteries? I had assumed all electrical would just be based off those.

Volt is mixed with ICE too but tesla roadster is all battery right?

Sorry EV noob.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Good info, thanks! I guess it also makes sense that most car electronics run off 12V DC so having one of those batteries just makes it simpler.

Also wrt Kia, they have come a long way baby. If they came out with something bigger than the Optima/Soul in PHEV I would be very keen. Sorento/Telluride or even the Sedona I would be all over that. I've had a Kia for about 4 years now and the car runs fantastic, is super solid and the service at the dealership is top notch. Plus the value for the dollar was outstanding.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

bolind posted:

Congrats!

I’m very excited to hear more, please post a review when it’s been delivered.

:same:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Folks who finance a Tesla - do you go with their financing or a 3rd party's?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I haven't driven an EV but with instant torque wouldn't it be a concern that older drivers would be plowing their cars into the front of strip malls? Like even more often. Seems like a software setting could control that though, as mentioned.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I’m just surprised Nissan hasn’t made a compact crossover EV yet seeing how they seem to crank out so many drat ICE crossover variants. Rogue, Qashqai, Juke, Kicks, Murano, how did they not mash one up with the Leaf yet??

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I'm hoping for a larger affordable EV soon, with small kids (loving carseats!) and dogs the current crop is just a bit too small. Minivan or 7 seater crossover would be ideal. Chrysler Pacifica is pretty much it right now.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

I would crawl over broken glass for a fully electric Volvo V60 or V90.

Wagons are the best vehicles.

Edit: Or V70r :getin:

Hell yeah love the V70R

Q-EV Ship

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Makes sense, electric motors are rotary pretty much :haw:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

:siren: Electric G-Wagen confirmed :siren:

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2019/11/mercedes-benz-announces-electric-g-class/

Hopefully it's the same actual chassis with a huge battery bolted on and not some kind of carbon-fiber lookalike. Other than weighing as much as a small moon, I don't see any downsides to this vehicle.

The price perhaps? Speaking of a small moon :haw:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I saw a Bolt in the bright greeny yellow colour the other day and I would be all in. A good red, bright green, yellow or the "Tangerine scream" colour on the Focus RS would be my top colour choices for any vehicle.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

ClassH posted:

Shock Yellow is the name of it and its great. Wish it was an option when the 17's were out.

Edit- From reddit, See if you can spot the Bolt in the middle of Seattle's morning rush hour traffic.

Shock Yellow, I love it. It’s a great colour. It pops!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Powershift posted:

gently caress that dorkmobile

the Maybach 6 is the optimal EV layout.

No full wet bar? Get outta here with that bullshit

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Powershift posted:

there's a mirror and platinum straw in the picnic kit

Dr Rockso's ride

he does cocaine

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lack of gears means more time for prostitute murder

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Also that!

(Bad top gear joke reference tbh)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

sanchez posted:

I'm on the fence about if it's better looking than the Ridgeline. Leaning yes atm.

:agreed:, still better looking than any generation Ridgeline imo. But it’s close.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

What would the cybertruck equivalent to rolling coal??! This is important

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

^^lol oh jeez gonna give those a wide berth

Perhaps driving down the freeway while visibly sleeping behind the wheel

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

You should see how many industries have vehicles idling all day long.

It’s funny because I live in a city with strong anti idling fines but you see cop cars idling all the drat time. Mostly to keep the flashers going.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I've known a few people who're mechanics that believe idling an engine for a few minutes consumes less fuel than stopping/starting.

I think that is true with carburetor (old) gas engines and maybe older diesels but not fuel injected. All the stop/start features new cars would be pretty dumb otherwise!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

CannonFodder posted:

It's not water intrusion, it's water occlusion.

A drop gets on the camera and the back up display turns into a fisheye video but just for half of the screen

I think Ford has some system where the camera shakes off water droplets which sounds kind of cool. Wish my kia had that sometimes.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ola posted:

VW and Mercedes have the best solution in my opinion, the badge on the rear hatch serves as both hatch button and camera shield. It flips up when you put the car in reverse.

I’ve owned enough German cars to immediately have my alarm bells tingling over that one :haw:

Regarding cameras I think I am unable to park in cars without all around views now :negative: (not really but it would actually take effort now)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

ilkhan posted:

I had to reverse into a narrow spot with an SUV crowding the line on one side and overhead covering steel post on the other, with the tailgate down so no camera. Did a good job, but was annoyingly nervous about it.

Newer cars (especially crossovers) with massive pillars and small, high rear windows can make it especially hairy!

I drove a rental minivan a few weeks back and it was great for visibility though, like a big fishbowl.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I’d like to get a 7 seater EV but lol that’s ridiculous. Even kids are gonna be cramped as hell.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I have a 3 row Kia Sorento and it is definitely more foot space in the back row than that photo.

The one thing that sucks is only one side 2nd row goes forward to let people in the 3rd. I just put my 7 year old back there with the other side folded down and he goes in through the rear hatch. Car seats in the 2nd row etc.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I want an EV that size.

People were saying the outlander and cx-9 third row sucks and it’s in the similar size range though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I’m kind of concerned both by Chrysler reliability and the fact that all dealerships are almost entirely dodge ram service depots around here

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

VideoGameVet posted:

There isn't because Toyota has huge sunk costs in Fuel Cell cars and just now is realizing what a mistake that was.

If there was a Prius BEV I'd buy it tomorrow. And it wouldn't be hard for Toyota to do that.

Does that go for Honda too do you figure?

Toyota and Honda are oddly conservative carmakers now after having been so disruptive a few decades ago. They seem happy to just make their reliable appliances which is probably pretty drat profitable, for now.

I just hate prius taxis so much (too drat small in the backseat!!)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I remember seeing one of the real expensive ferraris was so weight reduced it just had cable pulls for the door release. F40 maybe?

Also I have a coworker who said his brother in law’s model X gullwings opened while they were on the freeway and they had to hold them down :stare:

Perhaps it was going for liftoff?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lmao I loved that as a kid and had a bunch of the toys (80s kid here)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

approximately zero good car ads have been made by anyone at any time

The horny kia hamsters one disagrees :colbert:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

The Swedish guy the German company hired to pretend to be German is so unsettlingly good, I'd watch him in anything, even, like, a Tim & Eric sketch or several Coen Bros. movies.

Sadly he believes in Nozzing!!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

CannonFodder posted:

Is it just me or does it seem Kia is abandoning the US EV market? The EV Soul was delayed last year and no new release date has been offered. The Niros for sale are all 2019 models.

I really hope not, I’m hoping they do a phev or full ev sedona or telluride/sorento in the next couple years. I have a 2016 sorento right now and it’s great and would love to go phev or ev. The niro and soul are too small for 3 kids plus dogs though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Why does tesla love the fastback hatch so much, just make a regular functional rear hatch jfc

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I still hate those drat pseudo-hatches :colbert:

At least the Bolt/eGolf/Leaf are pretty normal (based on existing designs but still)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

The gently caress is wrong with y'all, liftbacks are cool as hell.

Not to defend Tesla, obviously.

They just don’t seem that practical. How will dogs jump in em!? This is important.

Unless the hood can be replaced with a bubble for the dogs to go in the frunk and look out HMMMM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

tranten posted:

Oh drat.

Gonna patent that do not steal!!