Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

RZA Encryption posted:

Ahahahahaha

Bumper Falls Off Brand New Tesla Model 3 After 30 Minutes and Some Rain

https://jalopnik.com/bumper-falls-off-brand-new-tesla-model-3-after-30-minut-1828306917

*adds "active aero" to the Model 3's list of features*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Even the gasser Spark gets sketchy at high speeds.

With it's range and driving manners, it's definitely a city car with occasional highway.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Not to drag this thread down the shitter again, but Musk promises what he thinks will be possible to be delivered on the date at which he thinks it will be, and repeatedly gets it wrong. This puts other manufacturers at a serious disadvantage because they're not competing against what Tesla is producing, they're competing against what Tesla has promised.

The bolt is has been in production for nearly 2 years now, and we still have yet to see a $35k Model 3.

I don't see how the volume of the car could support 180% of the Model S's battery volume, or of a tire that could support a 5000lb+ car up to 250mph. Still, every other electric sports car will be in the shadow of the Roadster 2 until it shows up, if it shows up. They won't be able to exist as they are capable of existing because they'll be compared to what can't yet exist.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Finger Prince posted:

I don't think the Porsche 918 is in the shadow of anything.
Or the SLS AMG electric for that matter, except for the above.

Yeah, those $500,000-$1,000,000 limited production cars, one of which had an electric range of 12 miles, are certainly what i was referring to.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm in love :swoon:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Oh hey, Tesla's factory in Fremont caught fire and exploded.

https://twitter.com/authorgutierrez/status/1032791896593035264

Now just to collect the insurance money. You did mail our insurance check, right Elon?

*Elon backs away on his segway and takes off*

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Confirmed that it's just a bunch of cardboard waste they set on fire

Not all the model 3 undercarriages, now how can they finish building them :ohdear:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I would imagine the range is going to be limited by the noisemaker, i mean, what's the point of owning a harley unless everybody for 6 blocks can hear you riding it?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It should be pointed out that Tesla will cut you off from their superchargers after you use them too many times.

"for your own protection"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ola posted:

Kia has no other EV I think, apart from the same car in PHEV config. It's the same as Hyundai Kona, actively cooled and heated 64 kWh.

Kia sells a Soul EV, but it has air cooled batteries.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ola posted:

Doh! Forgot about the Soul, even though I've driven about 500 miles in one.

I somehow don't think they'll use that quote in their marketing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There are like 18 Elon Musk threads and this ain't one of em.

This is the back end of ford's all electric "Mach 1" which might be called the Model E.

They're saying it's designed ground up on an EV platform, and will be 1 of only 5 global platforms going forward, so i would imagine by 2023 there will be like 5 different SUVs on the same electric platform.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If they cut it down to 3 colors, they would have to worry about heat from air friction on the production line.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

spandexcajun posted:

Someone mentioned XPEL PPF before. I got my model 3 wrapped with clear llumar (same as XPEL pretty much) with what the detailer called "level 3 protection" wrapped the whole front end, front bumper, full hood, front quarter panels. Also rocker panels, rear quarters panels and part of the rear under the trunk.

IDK, I was just going to do the front bumper and got talked into it. No regrets but it was more $$$ then I expected to pay. I also got a paint prep and ceramic coating, windows tint and chrome blackout.

The ceramic coating was for sure worth it, after a wash the car looks stunning, like the best wax job ever every time it's washed. It is also easy to wash since dirt / road grim does not stick to the ceramic coating as well.

I'm hoping in 3 - 5 years my paint will basically look new still, I have never had a vehicle nice enough to care before.

Here is my co-workers Model 3 performance (the one I got a ride in) fully wrapped in Matte Army Green:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoFGdYvB_3X/?taken-by=coloradodetail

It looks amazing in person. Not the colour I would have picked but it turned out great, a unique Model 3 to be sure.

This is dumb. If the wrap doesn't have UV protection, it will yellow, if it does, the paint underneath will age at a different rate than unprotected paint on the doors and such, if you're being that anal about it anyways and are already throwing down the bills, why not do a full wrap and keep the lovely paint job nice and pristine for the next owner or whatever.

The sun is a giant glowing rear end in a top hat in the sky that wants to gently caress up everything we do, so you should cover everything or cover nothing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They could just bin cars like chipmakers do and sell the rejected $50k cars as $35k "scratch and dent" models.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

I didn't see this posted.

Version9 of Teslas software will add Drive by Navigation to it's autopilot, which seems to get you ready for exits automatically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcSy9uZm-aE&hd=1

I'm the truck it passed on the right at 10 over the speed limit and couldn't quite figure out exactly where it was.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ethereal posted:

Looks like there is now a Medium Range (260 mile) Model 3 available for order. LR (310 mile) only available with AWD. It doesn't appear to be software locked but instead is the same pack with fewer cells. This should definitely keep demand fuller for quite a bit longer until they can get the new pack design rolled out.

TSLAQ twitter is hilarious speculating the end of Tesla because they released this.

It's probably a software lock, and essentially a sale on already manufactured long range RWD cars, a config that doesn't show up on the site anymore.

e: the cheapest model 3 config in canada is still $64,100. The bolt is $44,400. The 2019 leaf is $36,398. Surprisingly, i've still seen some model 3s around.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 19, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Do we really have to re-hash this argument every quarter? Tesla's numbers are relevant, because we all want EVs to do well. No Tesla, no push to improve.

lmfao

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

Before Tesla, you have what exactly for EV's? The EV-1 was canceled, the leaf was garbage, etc etc.

Of course, and now if the company poorly run by a union busting billionaire doesn't survive long enough to poorly build it's compact SUV, everybody's just going to stop building electric cars.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i feel like GM could print money by putting the Volt drivetrain in the Equinox or XT5 but i'm just some dumb rear end on the internet

They're supposed to have 2 new bolt-based vehicles out by 2020.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ClassH posted:

Any info out on what they are? I would love a slightly larger version of the Bolt.

Well, it's GM so realistically probably the Buick bolt and the Cadillac bolt

Ideally it would be a boltcross SUVier bolt and a code 130r style coupe.

They actually said "within 18 months" back in april, so we'll probably see one or both in detroit in january

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

You can get the Pacifica PHEV.

Not like the compact crossover isn't just a lovely minivan.

I was shocked when shopping to find the pacifica hybrid starts at $52k Canadian

I wasn't shocked to find no dealer within 1100kms had one.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think the "traditional engine appearance" was part of the aesthetic goal.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

All that great work and yet the dogshit panel / paint.

It's called patina. It's what characterizes the derelict series.

https://www.icon4x4.com/derelict/pastprojects

They do super clean every item perfect stuff, too.

https://www.icon4x4.com/reformer/pastprojects

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Any estimate on when that goes away? I was gonna buy one in February or March-ish once I get my taxes in order and paid.

GM will probably hit the 200k this quarter, so the phase out will start for them with a halving of the credit July 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I ain't no magical fortune teller, but i would imagine dead cell replacement/battery refurbishment will become a reasonably sized industry in the next 10-20 years.

In the mean time, you have to accept the possibility of a $7000-$15000 bill for battery replacement, but if you consider that most $35k EVs are $8k used, there's definitely room in the budget there.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The new Aviator phev will have a 7 seat option and a "pure ev" mode where it runs entirely on battery.

They haven't said what the battery capacity or range is, but it'll probably only be like 25 miles.

They said the electric motor is in the 10 speed auto, so it'll probably be the same tech as the mustang, f-150, and bronco hybrid will use. It also suggests a ranger hybrid and exploder hybrid would be a pretty easy option to add.

The f-150 hybrid test mule is also sporting a plug on the front fender, so will obviously be a plug-in hybrid.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 29, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Did you miss the actual video of said car driving....???

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJhn1OPO3Ig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhcWjq7JSjo

even real cars don't use real cars in their commercials.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 30, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seriously, stop letting lovely marketing fucks sell you on what they think is possible. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

0-60 in 3 seconds and 400 mile range, lick my loving balls.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

That seems fine?

No it doesn't. It's what some dude who's in charge of racking up pre-orders thinks will be possible by the time they expect to ship. range = weight. Weight = slow. Not to mention it's overcoming the aerodynamic disadvantage of being a loving truck.

use your loving head.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's got whatever the marketing man says it could have. It's up to engineering to figure out if it's actually possible.

400 mile range from 180kwh of batteries and a 400 mile range with a 2600kg curb weight.

So 100kg heavier than a model X P100D with nearly twice the battery capacity.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Quit falling for this poo poo.

One of the things holding back adoption of electric cars is what shyster salesmen have advertised as being possible being so much better than reality.

Stop letting shitbag salesmen run the world because you want to believe in what they're selling.

here's a blast from the past.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3461390&userid=158277&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post477115752

guess what, this thing is still, STILL, STILL in the pre-order phase, down to "722" ft/lbs of torque, and up to 5,500lbs.FOUR THOUSAND POUNDS heavier than a 4 seat rzr 1000.

Stop loving falling for it. put rubber on the road or shut the gently caress up. The $35,000 model 3 doesn't exist until the first person to pay $35,000 for one drives their car. The 400 mile, 3 second 0-60 pickup from a silicon valley start up doesn't exist until it has plates on it. stop comparing what does exist against what a salesman says might some day.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 1, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

:toxx: I'll take a ban if a Rivian vehicle is sold to the public with a 400 mile range, 180kwh battery, and 3.0 0-60 in 2020.

quote this to accept the opposite. Tell me i'm wrong.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

You're pretty angry about a probably non-existent truck.

I'm not angry specifically about the truck. I'm angry about the attitude that even brings it into the discussion.

We're a society of salesmen. Ruled by, controlled by, and this is just an extension. Its the same reason i go in so hard on musk cultists.

quote:

Would Chrysler let a truck leave the factory with under engineered suspension?

They'd probably sue anybody else who tried for a trademark violation at this point.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I don’t care about the truck but it’s pretty funny to see Powershift riled up some about some vapor ware vehicle

I'm still pissed about the Carbon Motors E7

there were supposed to be a whole bunch of 400hp 40mpg diesel RWD cop cars everywhere by now :argh:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

Was Carbon Motors not a real car? I thought it was, it didn't have any breakthrough technology or anything it was just a dumb idea that made no economic sense.

Oh, no, it was totally real, and it was going to have a BMW diesel only with more power, better performance and better fuel economy.

Pre-order now!

Just note that your 100% refundable deposit will be repaid by check by Big Donnie's King Sized Dildos, so cash that check if you really want to explain it to your boss.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Three Olives posted:

I'm pretty sure the much, much, much larger issue is the idea that police departments would make purchasing decisions based on objective needs and technical data.

But cops don't drive around in Honda Civics, they drive around in Ford SUVs that hotbox them with CO.

but they had over 10,000 preorders! https://www.autoblog.com/2009/06/12/carbon-motors-reports-10-000-pre-orders-for-diesel-powered-e7-po

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Godholio posted:

This part IS a joke, right? Chrysler lets vehicles leave the factory with all kinds of poo poo hosed up.

I think he was jokingly referring to that small period between 1994 and 2007 when dodge trucks had a notorious reputation for the front suspension completely collapsing every 60,000 miles.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

A lot of old Chevys have a stereo that automatically turns up the volume the faster you're going. I can't imagine that's a hard feature to add to the Tesla entertainment stack if it's not already there.

You don't know what else is coded into that same system though. You don't want the seat to start moving forward the faster you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

Comparing it to a P100D:

- The same starting price (estimated).
- Over 100 miles less of range.
- 233HP less HP.
- A worse goddamned warranty.
- No fast charging network.

Holy hell that's just bad.

That's an aussie website, so they are estimating the aussie price. The Audi RS7 is $280k AUD, the RS5 is $169k AUD.

The base price of the e-tron in the states is $74,800.