Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
Has anyone driven a Clarity (plug-in hybrid version)? With the end of the Volt it seems like the only plug-in hybrid with decent range. Are plug-in hybrids being rendered irrelevant by the number of 200+ mile electric only cars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
I guess I didn't have a sense of its size from just looking at pictures online.

The used car prices seem much more sensible on the Volts compared to the Clarity. Ive seen several used Clarities that cost more than a new one after the federal refund is factored in. One thing I like about the Clarity is that you can get it pretty much fully loaded in the base model and avoid leather seating.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
Drove the Clarity today. The gas engine is harsher and more noticeable than I would have thought. Everything else was pretty nice. Not sure I buy that side view camera as very useful though.

Of course one car was entirely dead, the one that would start had no EV range, and the sales guy knew nothing about the car. Said he'd never sold one before.

On the other hand, zero issues with actually doing a test drive even though it's a Honda.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
Where would one purchase or service a lightening? Are they using the Tesla distribution model? I at least know where one Zero dealer is.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
Maybe because I know nothing about batteries, but I am surprised that they can add 50% batter capacity with only a 10lb weight penalty.

I was hoping for something with more relaxed riding ergonomics. Maybe their next version, if they survive.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
How does removing an option from online ordering, and making people phone in the order, simplify anything?

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

"" posted:

Musk confidently told investors on the call that autonomous driving will transform Tesla into a company with a $500 billion market cap, these people said. Its current market cap stands around $42 billion. He also said that existing Teslas will increase in value as self-driving capabilities are added via software, and will be worth up to $250,000 within three years.
:thunk:
Buy all your Teslas now before they skyrocket in value!

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

quote:

Today, Tesla increased the price of its Full Self-Driving package in an attempt to make its cars ‘appreciating assets’

Well that mystery is solved I guess.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
For a car that's supposed to be mass market, it seems to be asking an awful lot of owners to either (1) use an aftermarket bumper of unknown quality or (2) source a junkyard bumper and get it painted.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Macrame_God posted:

Serious post: Do I still get a tax credit for owning an EV even if it's used? I may be in the market for a new car soon (my current car is over 100K miles and it's in the shop for a potentially damaged head) and I've been interested in getting an EV for my next vehicle. I found a used '18 Chevy Bolt for a good price not too far from me and it's piqued my interest. Not getting a tax credit probably wouldn't be a deal breaker, but it would definitely factor in to my decision making.

No, tax credit goes to first buyer only.

I should clarify that this is the federal tax credit.

There is one incentive plan for used PHEVs but it is income and location specific: https://www2.greencarreports.com/news/1123264_bay-area-residents-can-get-4000-credit-on-used-plug-ins.

Kastivich fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 28, 2019

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
I'd be annoyed about having to wait another entire year to file with the tax credit.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

ClassH posted:

The comments there are exactly what you would expect from fox news.

I regret that I did not heed this warning.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Wibla posted:

I'm planning something similar at home when we get solar installed. We have a 200 liter (52 gallon) electrical water heater, and it's fairly easy to control that to take advantage of solar, ditto for the pool heater.

Does something that does this automatically exists? We have residential solar, so I tried to find something that would scale my heater to match our generation. I couldn't find anything that connected power production with temperature control.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
Ugh, my first baby step into EV ownership is not going well. 6000 miles (and I just washed it this weekend :argh:). Goes to the body shop for estimates tomorrow. The driver side rear quarter panel is pushed out towards the door. The gap between the door is now uneven and the body panel sits slightly higher than the door.

Anyone want to guess the estimate?

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

I was thinking something like 2x that.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
I will post estimates tomorrow when the come in. I hope they can straighten that rear quarter panel because that door gap is going to annoy me every time I see it. Parts are actually cheaper than I expected for some reason, although that was based on no real knowledge.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you want them to totally replace the quarter, not straighten it

Estimates came in at $5000 and $8000 but neither quote included straightening the frame or replacing the bottom of the trunk pan if it is damaged. They said they didnt have enough visibility into the damage to provide an estimate on that work, but noted that it would need to be investigated once they did the tear down. Both said that the final price would likely be significantly higher, maybe 2x as much.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Finger Prince posted:

So next week my commute will be going back to driving a garbage ~85km/day return, and it'll be Monday to Friday, so more days per week than previously. Probably works out to ~45min-1hr each way at the times I'll be commuting, but the hours will be new to me so I'm guestimating (yes traffic is that bad here). Looking at PHEVs, since although there's chargers at work, I can't count on finding them unoccupied, and I have no charging option where I live. Talk to me about Honda Clarity PHEVs. If I managed to charge each day at work, I'd be able to cover nearly all the range on electric, probably only needing ~5-15km/day on gas. Is it even worth going down the PHEV route considering that most other PHEVs I'd be running on gas at least half the drive each day? Or should I just stick with a normal hybrid? I don't use the car at all on my days off except for the very occasional ~10km round trip errand.
(currently driving a tired '07 Prius that I had planned on running until it rusted to dust, but if I'm going to be stuck in a car for 2 hours/day I'm going to want something more comfy)

I like my clarity a lot, but this doesn't sound like an ideal scenario for it. We average low 40s to mid 50s in electric range. I'd probably go for an an Insight or 4th gen Prius if I had your drive.

Kastivich fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jun 3, 2020

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

stevewm posted:

Other PHEVs on the market will stay in electric mode most of the time, but may supliment with the gas engine if under heavy load. The Clarity for example from what I understand will engage the gas engine if you really put your foot down for an extended amount of time. The Mitsubishi Outlander is like the Volt from what I understand, it will stay strictly electric until the usable portion of the battery is empty.

The Clarity only goes to gas if you push the throttle past an indent at the end of its movement (or like the Volt, if you dont run on gas for so long it goes into maintenance mode). The only time the engine has come on unexpectedly for me was when setting it to aggressive regeneration while the battery was fully charged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Finger Prince posted:

How does it work in the other modes? Maybe I misunderstood the reviews I'd watched? I thought there was a mode that allocated gas or battery or some combination of both depending on demand, and because you weren't running battery at highway speed and reserved it for city driving or going up hills or whatever, you could actually get more electric range than it's rated for. Maybe I'm thinking of a different PHEV, but I was sure the Clarity could do that.

Yeah, HV mode operates as you describe. In HV mode it is like any other non plug-in hybrid. It will switch from EV to HV mode when the battery is low, or you can do it manually. In EV mode you have to floor it to get the gas engine to turn on.